|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
2. What is the last place that Hugh visits?
3. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
4. What has become of Maisie and Hugh in the Epilogue?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
2. What does Maisie discover about the incident at the ball, and how does she make the discovery?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Augusta attempt to do to get cash for herself, and then what does she steal that will allow her to have a decent income?
4. What schemes does Augusta come up with once she learns that Ben will be given the peerage and not Joseph?
5. How does Emily get her annulment?
6. What deal do the partners come up with so that Edward's first request as Senior Partner goes through, but so the bank won't be compromised?
7. Why are Hugh's children home alone when Maisie arrives in Part 3, Chapter 4?
8. Hugh makes a major decision about his future after he speaks to Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5. What is the decision? Why does he make it? What is the outcome?
9. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4, and what does Tonio finally tell Hugh?
10. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between father and son is often a complex one. Analyze the relationships between Edward and Joseph, Micky and Papa, Hugh and Tobias (his father). Are they weak or healthy? How do the relationships mold the sons into the men that they become?
Essay Topic 2
Much is said negatively about the Jewish community. Compare the views of the people in the novel to the views of others around the world through WWII and into modern times.
Essay Topic 3
How does the third world nation of Cordova affect the entire financial world of London?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)