|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Hugh and Samuel decide to resign from the bank?
2. Why is Micky angry that he runs into Hugh when he returns to the club to play cards with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. What does Hugh think about telling Ben in Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugh piece together in Part 3, and what does he do with the information? How is it received?
2. What happens between Rachel and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 4?
3. What becomes of Edward, Augusta, Hugh, Maisie, Dan and Rachel?
4. How does Hugh want to handle the failing of the bank with his family members? How do they respond?
5. What changes have come into Emily's life by Part 3?
6. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
8. What occurs between Maisie and Ben Greenbourne after Solly's death?
9. What happens with the bonds that the bank was going to sell in order to loan Micky the money? Who is behind the deceit, and what happens to him?
10. What does Maisie discover about the incident at the ball, and how does she make the discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Maisie, Rachel and April.
Essay Topic 2
At the wedding, Augusta says to the guest next to her that "London society has degenerated completely". What does she mean by this statement? How is it a self-serving statement?
Essay Topic 3
The novel begins with a boyhood occurrence that will affect the lives of everyone involved. What is the occurrence, how does it happen, and why will it have such a great effect on those involved?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)