|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
2. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
4. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
5. What does Hugh give Dotty for her dowry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hugh makes a major decision about his future after he speaks to Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5. What is the decision? Why does he make it? What is the outcome?
2. What schemes does Augusta come up with once she learns that Ben will be given the peerage and not Joseph?
3. With what question does Emily go to Maisie for help in Part 2, Chapter 3? Why Maisie? What does Maisie do to help her?
4. What happens with the bonds that the bank was going to sell in order to loan Micky the money? Who is behind the deceit, and what happens to him?
5. What deal do the partners come up with so that Edward's first request as Senior Partner goes through, but so the bank won't be compromised?
6. How does Edward become Senior Partner of the bank?
7. What does Maisie discover about the incident at the ball, and how does she make the discovery?
8. How does Micky finally get Edward to talk to him in Part 3, Chapter 2, after Edward discovers the truth about the drowning?
9. Why are Hugh's children home alone when Maisie arrives in Part 3, Chapter 4?
10. What does Hugh piece together in Part 3, and what does he do with the information? How is it received?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Maisie's character. How is she true to herself through her entire life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Dan's character. How does he become such a fighter? What are his causes? How does he continue to fight throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Much of the society's standards of the Victorian Era are stated in the novel. Explain what they are and how they are used to portray this story.
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)