|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
2. Why is Micky angry that he runs into Hugh when he returns to the club to play cards with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
3. What does Edward tell Micky about Whitehaven?
4. To whom does Maisie take Emily to find answers to her questions that she poses at the afternoon tea?
5. In the last decade, by Part 3, Chapter 2, how many bonds has Pilaster Bank given Cordova?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Micky's plan to stop Tonio, and how is the plan carried out?
3. What happens between Rachel and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. What deal do the partners come up with so that Edward's first request as Senior Partner goes through, but so the bank won't be compromised?
5. How much time has passed between the end of Part 2, and the beginning of Part 3? What major changes have occurred?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Augusta attempt to do to get cash for herself, and then what does she steal that will allow her to have a decent income?
7. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4, and what does Tonio finally tell Hugh?
8. How does Micky escape the authorities and still wind up dead?
9. What does Hugh piece together in Part 3, and what does he do with the information? How is it received?
10. How has Ben Greenbourne changed by the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does a Russian Jewish family end up being tied to an English banking family for centuries?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between father and son is often a complex one. Analyze the relationships between Edward and Joseph, Micky and Papa, Hugh and Tobias (his father). Are they weak or healthy? How do the relationships mold the sons into the men that they become?
Essay Topic 3
Though Tonio's character is not in the story as often as others, he is crucial to the plot line. Many events occur because of what Tonio knows and what his goals are. Discuss how Tonio is a catalyst for much of the plot line.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)