|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
2. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
3. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
5. Why does Micky follow Solly from the club after he argues with Edward?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ben Greenbourne changed by the Epilogue?
2. How does Micky escape the authorities and still wind up dead?
3. How much time has passed between the end of Part 2, and the beginning of Part 3? What major changes have occurred?
4. How does Edward become Senior Partner of the bank?
5. What does Maisie discover about the incident at the ball, and how does she make the discovery?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
7. How does Hugh want to handle the failing of the bank with his family members? How do they respond?
8. Hugh makes a major decision about his future after he speaks to Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5. What is the decision? Why does he make it? What is the outcome?
9. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
10. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4, and what does Tonio finally tell Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The banking system of London is one of the main themes of the book, and how failed banks hurt more than just bankers. Explain how this is a theme of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Much is said negatively about the Jewish community. Compare the views of the people in the novel to the views of others around the world through WWII and into modern times.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of good versus evil throughout the entire novel. Who wins? Who loses?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)