|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of the argument between Micky and Rachel after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
2. What does Emily want to discuss with Maisie after one of her afternoon teas in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. What does Maisie ask of Hugh after they return from Bertie's school in Part 3, Chapter 1?
4. Why is Micky angry that he runs into Hugh when he returns to the club to play cards with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. What do the partners want from Edward after the money crisis is discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Solly, Edward and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. How does Micky escape the authorities and still wind up dead?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
4. What becomes of Edward, Augusta, Hugh, Maisie, Dan and Rachel?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Augusta attempt to do to get cash for herself, and then what does she steal that will allow her to have a decent income?
6. What happens between Rachel and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 4?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Micky's plan to stop Tonio, and how is the plan carried out?
8. What does Hugh piece together in Part 3, and what does he do with the information? How is it received?
9. Hugh makes a major decision about his future after he speaks to Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5. What is the decision? Why does he make it? What is the outcome?
10. How does Emily get her annulment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the society's standards of the Victorian Era are stated in the novel. Explain what they are and how they are used to portray this story.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Dan's character. How does he become such a fighter? What are his causes? How does he continue to fight throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how greed is a theme of the novel. Who is greedy? How does their greed affect others?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)