|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what news does Emily bring to Maisie?
2. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
3. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
4. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What schemes does Augusta come up with once she learns that Ben will be given the peerage and not Joseph?
2. What does Maisie discover about the incident at the ball, and how does she make the discovery?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Augusta attempt to do to get cash for herself, and then what does she steal that will allow her to have a decent income?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Micky's plan to stop Tonio, and how is the plan carried out?
5. How does Emily get her annulment?
6. How much time has passed between the end of Part 2, and the beginning of Part 3? What major changes have occurred?
7. How does Edward become Senior Partner of the bank?
8. With what question does Emily go to Maisie for help in Part 2, Chapter 3? Why Maisie? What does Maisie do to help her?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
10. What happens between Solly, Edward and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Find the symbols in the novel. What are they? What do they represent? Analyze how effectively the author portrays them.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
Essay Topic 3
Though Tonio's character is not in the story as often as others, he is crucial to the plot line. Many events occur because of what Tonio knows and what his goals are. Discuss how Tonio is a catalyst for much of the plot line.
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)