|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Why did Pilaster and Co. shut down?
3. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
4. What does Tonio do at the ratting that intrigues Micky?
5. What class of people generally go to the Argyll Room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened with Micky in the six years that Hugh was gone, and what are his future and immediate plans?
2. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
3. What kind of a character is Augusta?
4. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
5. What secret is established in the Prologue?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
7. Describe the ratting and explain its significance to the story.
8. What does Hugh like about Nora when he first meets her?
9. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
10. What kind of a character is Hugh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does a Russian Jewish family end up being tied to an English banking family for centuries?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between father and son is often a complex one. Analyze the relationships between Edward and Joseph, Micky and Papa, Hugh and Tobias (his father). Are they weak or healthy? How do the relationships mold the sons into the men that they become?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)