|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
3. Why does Carlos want Micky to stay in London?
4. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
5. Why is Papa so angry with Micky in Part 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret is established in the Prologue?
2. What is the tale of Maisie and Danny, and what is its tie in to the boys at the school?
3. What kind of a character is Hugh?
4. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
5. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
6. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
7. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
8. What has happened with Micky in the six years that Hugh was gone, and what are his future and immediate plans?
9. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
10. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can it be argued that Edward is a weak character? Where does the weakness come from? How is it fed over the years? Where does it lead him?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Dan's character. How does he become such a fighter? What are his causes? How does he continue to fight throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)