|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
4. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
5. What inappropriate action does Mickey take in the church with Augusta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
2. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
3. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
4. What kind of a character is Hugh?
5. What kind of a character is Augusta?
6. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
7. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
8. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
9. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
10. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the wedding, Augusta says to the guest next to her that "London society has degenerated completely". What does she mean by this statement? How is it a self-serving statement?
Essay Topic 2
Find the symbols in the novel. What are they? What do they represent? Analyze how effectively the author portrays them.
Essay Topic 3
How does the third world nation of Cordova affect the entire financial world of London?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)