Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
2. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
3. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
4. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
2. Why are Hugh's children home alone when Maisie arrives in Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. What kind of a character is Hugh?
4. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
5. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
6. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
7. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
8. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
9. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
10. What kind of a character is Augusta?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dan's character. How does he become such a fighter? What are his causes? How does he continue to fight throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
Essay Topic 3
The banking system of London is one of the main themes of the book, and how failed banks hurt more than just bankers. Explain how this is a theme of the book.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)