Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
2. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
3. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
4. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
2. Why are Hugh's children home alone when Maisie arrives in Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. What kind of a character is Hugh?
4. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
5. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
6. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
7. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
8. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
9. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
10. What kind of a character is Augusta?
Analyze the theme of good versus evil throughout the entire novel. Who wins? Who loses?
At the wedding, Augusta says to the guest next to her that "London society has degenerated completely". What does she mean by this statement? How is it a self-serving statement?
The relationship between father and son is often a complex one. Analyze the relationships between Edward and Joseph, Micky and Papa, Hugh and Tobias (his father). Are they weak or healthy? How do the relationships mold the sons into the men that they become?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)