|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
2. What does Hugh decide to do with his future after the Nora incident in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
4. What does Micky do at the baccarat game that makes things go his way?
5. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hugh want to handle the failing of the bank with his family members? How do they respond?
2. What has been Hugh's journey through the bank up to Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Augusta attempt to do to get cash for herself, and then what does she steal that will allow her to have a decent income?
4. How does Micky escape the authorities and still wind up dead?
5. Why are Hugh's children home alone when Maisie arrives in Part 3, Chapter 4?
6. What secret is established in the Prologue?
7. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
9. How does Augusta split up Maisie and Hugh?
10. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can it be argued that Edward is a weak character? Where does the weakness come from? How is it fed over the years? Where does it lead him?
Essay Topic 2
The banking system of London is one of the main themes of the book, and how failed banks hurt more than just bankers. Explain how this is a theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between father and son is often a complex one. Analyze the relationships between Edward and Joseph, Micky and Papa, Hugh and Tobias (his father). Are they weak or healthy? How do the relationships mold the sons into the men that they become?
This section contains 1,697 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)