|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
2. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
3. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
4. What position is Hugh an assistant to in Part I, Chapter 3?
5. Why does Joseph become angry with Augusta when she insists that he go to the park and NOT the bank on the holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a character is Augusta?
2. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
3. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
4. Describe the ratting and explain its significance to the story.
5. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
6. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
7. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
8. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
9. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
10. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora is perhaps the most selfish of the selfish characters. Compare her to Augusta. Which of the women is truly the most selfish? How does Augusta somewhat redeem herself, and Nora never does?
Essay Topic 2
The banking system of London is one of the main themes of the book, and how failed banks hurt more than just bankers. Explain how this is a theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Maisie, Rachel and April.
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)