|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
3. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
5. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
2. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
3. What does Hugh like about Nora when he first meets her?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
5. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
6. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
7. What kind of a character is Hugh?
8. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
9. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
10. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between father and son is often a complex one. Analyze the relationships between Edward and Joseph, Micky and Papa, Hugh and Tobias (his father). Are they weak or healthy? How do the relationships mold the sons into the men that they become?
Essay Topic 2
How does a Russian Jewish family end up being tied to an English banking family for centuries?
Essay Topic 3
Though Tonio's character is not in the story as often as others, he is crucial to the plot line. Many events occur because of what Tonio knows and what his goals are. Discuss how Tonio is a catalyst for much of the plot line.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)