|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
2. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
3. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
5. How does Micky kill Seth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
2. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
3. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
4. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
5. What is the tale of Maisie and Danny, and what is its tie in to the boys at the school?
6. What secret is established in the Prologue?
7. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
9. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
10. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Dan's character. How does he become such a fighter? What are his causes? How does he continue to fight throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of good versus evil throughout the entire novel. Who wins? Who loses?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how greed is a theme of the novel. Who is greedy? How does their greed affect others?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)