|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
3. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
4. Why does Carlos want Micky to stay in London?
5. What does Danny come to tell Maisie in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time has passed between the end of Part 2, and the beginning of Part 3? What major changes have occurred?
2. How has Ben Greenbourne changed by the Epilogue?
3. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
4. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
5. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
6. What happens between Rachel and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 4?
7. How does Micky escape the authorities and still wind up dead?
8. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Augusta attempt to do to get cash for herself, and then what does she steal that will allow her to have a decent income?
10. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Maisie's character. How is she true to herself through her entire life?
Essay Topic 2
Much of the society's standards of the Victorian Era are stated in the novel. Explain what they are and how they are used to portray this story.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
This section contains 1,785 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)