|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Solly ask Maisie at the races?
2. What system does Hugh come up with at the bank to organize papers?
3. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
4. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
5. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Micky do to Seth in Part 1, Chapter 5? Why?
2. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
3. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
4. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
5. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
6. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
7. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
8. What has become of Maisie and her family by Part 2?
9. What kind of a character is Hugh?
10. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of the society's standards of the Victorian Era are stated in the novel. Explain what they are and how they are used to portray this story.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
Essay Topic 3
Find the symbols in the novel. What are they? What do they represent? Analyze how effectively the author portrays them.
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)