|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
2. What lie does Augusta tell Madeleine while riding in the park in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What is ratting?
4. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
5. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tale of Maisie and Danny, and what is its tie in to the boys at the school?
2. What has become of Maisie and her family by Part 2?
3. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
4. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
5. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
6. How does Augusta split up Maisie and Hugh?
7. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
8. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
9. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
10. What has happened with Micky in the six years that Hugh was gone, and what are his future and immediate plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can it be argued that Edward is a weak character? Where does the weakness come from? How is it fed over the years? Where does it lead him?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between father and son is often a complex one. Analyze the relationships between Edward and Joseph, Micky and Papa, Hugh and Tobias (his father). Are they weak or healthy? How do the relationships mold the sons into the men that they become?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how greed is a theme of the novel. Who is greedy? How does their greed affect others?
This section contains 1,418 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)