|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
2. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the Prologue?
4. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
5. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
2. What secret is established in the Prologue?
3. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What has happened with Micky in the six years that Hugh was gone, and what are his future and immediate plans?
5. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
6. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
7. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
8. What has been Hugh's journey through the bank up to Part 1, Chapter 3?
9. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
10. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The banking system of London is one of the main themes of the book, and how failed banks hurt more than just bankers. Explain how this is a theme of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
Essay Topic 3
How can it be argued that Edward is a weak character? Where does the weakness come from? How is it fed over the years? Where does it lead him?
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)