|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
2. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
3. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
4. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
5. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a character is Hugh?
2. What kind of a character is Augusta?
3. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
4. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
6. How does Augusta split up Maisie and Hugh?
7. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
8. Describe the ratting and explain its significance to the story.
9. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
10. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Maisie's character. How is she true to herself through her entire life?
Essay Topic 2
Though Tonio's character is not in the story as often as others, he is crucial to the plot line. Many events occur because of what Tonio knows and what his goals are. Discuss how Tonio is a catalyst for much of the plot line.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the brothel a major setting of the novel? What really takes place there beyond the obvious sexual and gambling activities?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)