|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What proposition does Hugh bring to the family bankers at the beginning of Part 2?
2. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
3. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
4. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
5. What lie does Augusta tell Madeleine while riding in the park in Part 1, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Augusta split up Maisie and Hugh?
2. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
3. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
4. What kind of a character is Augusta?
5. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
6. What secret is established in the Prologue?
7. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
8. What has become of Maisie and her family by Part 2?
9. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
10. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of good versus evil throughout the entire novel. Who wins? Who loses?
Essay Topic 2
How does a Russian Jewish family end up being tied to an English banking family for centuries?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how greed is a theme of the novel. Who is greedy? How does their greed affect others?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)