|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
3. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
4. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. What is ratting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugh like about Nora when he first meets her?
2. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
3. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
4. What does Micky do to Seth in Part 1, Chapter 5? Why?
5. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
6. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
7. What has happened with Micky in the six years that Hugh was gone, and what are his future and immediate plans?
8. What has become of Maisie and her family by Part 2?
9. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
10. What kind of a character is Augusta?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora is perhaps the most selfish of the selfish characters. Compare her to Augusta. Which of the women is truly the most selfish? How does Augusta somewhat redeem herself, and Nora never does?
Essay Topic 2
The novel begins with a boyhood occurrence that will affect the lives of everyone involved. What is the occurrence, how does it happen, and why will it have such a great effect on those involved?
Essay Topic 3
At the wedding, Augusta says to the guest next to her that "London society has degenerated completely". What does she mean by this statement? How is it a self-serving statement?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)