|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
(a) He is angry that Hugh is not a partner.
(b) He is angry that business is not going well.
(c) He wants to make another deal.
(d) He is happy about the business.
2. What does Hugh learn in his conversation with Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Solly did not know Bertie was not his.
(b) Solly did not know Maisie was poor.
(c) Bertie is his son.
(d) Ben believes Solly was murdered.
3. Why is Solly so angry with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Solly knows how he has fought against Hugh.
(b) Solly knows that he and Augusta were behind the articles about Ben.
(c) Solly discovered what he did to Emily.
(d) Solly knows that the railroad investment is no good.
4. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
(a) So she can get pregnant.
(b) To annoy Augusta.
(c) To get her annulment.
(d) She misses Edward.
5. Why is Micky worried at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) He had to tell his father there would be no money.
(b) The police know about the drowning.
(c) Augusta won't speak to him.
(d) Edward is avoiding him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hobbes ask Augusta to get him a loan for from the bank?
2. Why can't Maisie walk the half mile to the dinner party in Part 2, Chapter 3?
3. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
4. In what month does Dorothy marry and the bank collapses?
5. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hugh want to handle the failing of the bank with his family members? How do they respond?
2. How does Edward become Senior Partner of the bank?
3. With what question does Emily go to Maisie for help in Part 2, Chapter 3? Why Maisie? What does Maisie do to help her?
4. What changes have come into Emily's life by Part 3?
5. What happens with the bonds that the bank was going to sell in order to loan Micky the money? Who is behind the deceit, and what happens to him?
6. What happens between Solly, Edward and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 5?
7. What does Hugh piece together in Part 3, and what does he do with the information? How is it received?
8. What does Maisie discover about the incident at the ball, and how does she make the discovery?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
10. What deal do the partners come up with so that Edward's first request as Senior Partner goes through, but so the bank won't be compromised?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)