|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class of people generally go to the Argyll Room?
(b) Clerks and small businessmen.
(d) Call girls and the men who want them.
2. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(b) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(c) She is hungry.
(d) She hates her father.
3. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A Catholic school.
(b) A Jewish school.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A public school.
4. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Force Edward to marry.
(b) Trick Edward into marriage.
(c) Leave London.
(d) Micky decides to marry.
5. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Seth will give Micky his loan.
(b) Seth has resigned from the bank.
(c) Seth's health has improved.
(d) Seth's health is failing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
2. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
3. What lie does Augusta tell Madeleine while riding in the park in Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What proposition does Hugh bring to the family bankers at the beginning of Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edward become Senior Partner of the bank?
2. How does Hugh want to handle the failing of the bank with his family members? How do they respond?
3. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
4. How much time has passed between the end of Part 2, and the beginning of Part 3? What major changes have occurred?
5. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
6. What schemes does Augusta come up with once she learns that Ben will be given the peerage and not Joseph?
7. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
8. What does Maisie discover about the incident at the ball, and how does she make the discovery?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Micky's plan to stop Tonio, and how is the plan carried out?
10. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)