|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Augusta lie to Lady Stalworthy about?
(a) She says Hugh has had many women.
(b) She says Hugh wants Florence for her money.
(c) She says Hugh's father was mentally ill.
(d) She says Hugh is a gambler.
2. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To find girlfriends.
(b) To drink.
(c) To smoke.
(d) To play baccarat.
3. What is the relationship between Hugh and Edward?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are enemies.
4. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
(b) A young man.
5. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
(a) He is a gambler.
(b) He is a diplomat.
(c) He is an ambassador.
(d) He is an attache to the Codorvan Minister in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
2. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
3. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
4. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
5. What kind of a school is Windfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has become of Maisie and her family by Part 2?
2. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
3. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
4. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
5. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
6. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
7. What has been Hugh's journey through the bank up to Part 1, Chapter 3?
8. What kind of a character is Augusta?
9. What secret is established in the Prologue?
10. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)