|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
(a) Augusta gets the Count to say something offensive to her so that she will overreact.
(b) Augusta has Nora say the wrong thing to Joseph.
(c) Augusta lets Nora overhear a conversation about Hugh and Maisie.
(d) Augusta makes Nora slip and fall on the dance floor.
2. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
(a) He protects her from ruffians.
(b) Someone tries to rob them.
(c) Augusta confronts them and Hugh stands up to her.
(d) A carriage almost runs them over and Hugh pushes Maisie out of its way.
3. Why is Papa so angry with Micky in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Micky does not want Papa to wage war in Cordova.
(b) Micky calls Papa a barbarian.
(c) Micky does not want to back to Cordova.
(d) He still has not gotten Papa his loan.
4. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She hates her father.
(b) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(c) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(d) She is hungry.
5. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward marries.
(b) Edward brings in new accounts.
(c) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
(d) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Pilaster bank loan Carlos Miranda money?
2. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
3. Who shows up at the costume ball and questions Hugh?
4. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
2. How does Micky finally get Edward to talk to him in Part 3, Chapter 2, after Edward discovers the truth about the drowning?
3. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
4. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
5. What does Emily do to attempt to have Edward's child, and how does it all backfire?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is Micky's plan to stop Tonio, and how is the plan carried out?
7. What occurs between Maisie and Ben Greenbourne after Solly's death?
8. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
9. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
10. What changes have come into Emily's life by Part 3?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)