|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(b) She hates her father.
(c) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(d) She is hungry.
2. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
(b) To the seaside to be with his mother.
(c) He stays in London at the bank.
(d) To Soho to be with Maisie.
3. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
4. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
(b) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(c) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(d) He blackmails Tonio.
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Leave London.
(b) Trick Edward into marriage.
(c) Force Edward to marry.
(d) Micky decides to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ratting?
2. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
3. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 2, what is Hugh against the bank investing in?
5. What proposition does Hugh bring to the family bankers at the beginning of Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
2. Why are Hugh's children home alone when Maisie arrives in Part 3, Chapter 4?
3. What kind of a character is Hugh?
4. What is the concern over the Cordovan loans and the revolution?
5. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
6. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
7. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
8. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
9. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
10. What kind of a character is Augusta?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)