|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hugh meet Nora?
(a) She stumbles into him on the street.
(b) At the Greenbourne's house.
(c) In a bakery.
(d) At a club.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
(a) Augusta has feelings for Micky.
(b) Peter's brother, a lawyer, is making inquiries.
(c) Joseph's work is not respected.
(d) Joseph has been unfaithful.
3. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Two years.
4. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
(a) She thinks Nora is madly in love with Hugh.
(b) She believes the two will do well together.
(c) She believes Nora is using Hugh.
(d) She thinks Nora is too low class for Hugh.
5. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) He stays in London at the bank.
(b) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
(c) To Soho to be with Maisie.
(d) To the seaside to be with his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micky kill Seth?
2. Why doesn't Maisie spend the entire day with Solly?
3. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
5. What is the relationship between Hugh and Edward?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
3. How does Augusta split up Maisie and Hugh?
4. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
5. What has become of Maisie and her family by Part 2?
6. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
7. What does Hugh like about Nora when he first meets her?
8. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
9. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
10. What does Micky do to Seth in Part 1, Chapter 5? Why?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)