|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(b) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(c) She is hungry.
(d) She hates her father.
2. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
(a) He is an ambassador.
(b) He is a diplomat.
(c) He is a gambler.
(d) He is an attache to the Codorvan Minister in London.
3. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
(b) A young man.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
(a) Peter's brother, a lawyer, is making inquiries.
(b) Joseph has been unfaithful.
(c) Joseph's work is not respected.
(d) Augusta has feelings for Micky.
5. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) To show off her new house.
(b) To keep Hugh from bettering himself.
(c) To get a loan for Micky's father.
(d) To get Joseph voted Senior Partner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. Who shows up at the costume ball and questions Hugh?
3. How does Micky kill Seth?
4. What does Joseph Pilaster collect?
5. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
2. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
3. What has been Hugh's journey through the bank up to Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
5. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
6. What kind of a character is Augusta?
7. What has happened with Micky in the six years that Hugh was gone, and what are his future and immediate plans?
8. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
9. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)