|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
(a) That Micky and Edward had been telling the truth about the drowning.
(b) That Edward drowned Peter.
(c) That Albert will testify against Edward.
(d) That Micky and Augusta have a deeper relationship.
2. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A Catholic school.
(b) A public school.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A Jewish school.
3. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Cordovan Minister.
(b) Diplomatic Attache.
(c) Partner at the Pilaster's Bank.
(d) President of Cordova.
4. Where does Hugh meet Nora?
(a) She stumbles into him on the street.
(b) At the Greenbourne's house.
(c) At a club.
(d) In a bakery.
5. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
(b) Seth's health.
(c) The financial crisis.
(d) Joseph's new appointment at the bank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
2. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
3. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
4. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
2. What kind of a character is Augusta?
3. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
4. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
6. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
7. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
8. What secret is established in the Prologue?
9. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
10. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)