|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
(a) Augusta has feelings for Micky.
(b) Peter's brother, a lawyer, is making inquiries.
(c) Joseph's work is not respected.
(d) Joseph has been unfaithful.
2. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
(a) She has Micky get her tickets.
(b) She has Joseph get her tickets.
(c) She gets Lady Morte to get her tickets.
(d) She has Maisie get her tickets.
3. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He blackmails Tonio.
(b) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(c) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(d) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
4. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He offered Cammel a better loan.
(b) He offered Cammel the opportunity to buy Russian bonds.
(c) He offered to cash Cammel's check.
(d) He offered Cammel stocks.
5. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He questions whether Augusta was behind it all.
(c) He tells Hugh that he will not be a partner.
(d) He leaves the party immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
2. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
3. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
5. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tale of Maisie and Danny, and what is its tie in to the boys at the school?
2. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
3. What kind of a character is Augusta?
4. Describe the ratting and explain its significance to the story.
5. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
6. What does Hugh like about Nora when he first meets her?
7. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
8. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
10. How does Augusta split up Maisie and Hugh?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)