|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
(a) He gives Tonio a winning hand.
(b) He gives him a cigar.
(c) He offers him his own money to borrow.
(d) He has a woman come into the room.
2. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A boarding school.
(b) A public school.
(c) A Catholic school.
(d) A Jewish school.
3. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She is not Jewish.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She does not love Hugh.
4. Who do Edward, Micky and Hugh meet in the Argyll Room?
(a) Danny Robinson.
(b) Call girls.
(c) Micky's father, Carlos.
(d) Friends from high school.
5. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
(a) Easily swayed.
(b) Strong and beautiful.
(d) Weak, yet beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. What does Augusta reveal to Micky at the end of Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
4. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 2, how does Augusta continue to manipulate what happens at the bank concerning the naming of the Senior Partner?
3. What secret is established in the Prologue?
4. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
5. What is the tale of Maisie and Danny, and what is its tie in to the boys at the school?
6. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
7. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
8. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
9. What kind of a character is Augusta?
10. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)