|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Pilaster bank loan Carlos Miranda money?
(a) He wants to purchase arms with it.
(b) He is Spanish.
(c) He does not live in England.
(d) They don't know if he is legitimate or not.
2. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) He has married someone else.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has left the country.
3. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
(c) New York.
4. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Take a walk in the park with him.
(b) Go to dinner and dancing with him.
(c) Go for a carriage ride with him.
(d) Go see a show with him.
5. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
(a) He is too nice to deceive.
(b) He is fat.
(c) She is not in love with him.
(d) He is rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joseph become angry with Augusta when she insists that he go to the park and NOT the bank on the holiday?
2. Solly's parents do NOT like Maisie for all of the following reasons except for which one?
3. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What is the relationship between Hugh and Edward?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What schemes does Augusta come up with once she learns that Ben will be given the peerage and not Joseph?
2. How does Micky escape the authorities and still wind up dead?
3. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Maisie do with Nora that is risky but very satisfying in its result?
5. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
6. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
7. Hugh makes a major decision about his future after he speaks to Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5. What is the decision? Why does he make it? What is the outcome?
8. How much time has passed between the end of Part 2, and the beginning of Part 3? What major changes have occurred?
9. How does Hugh want to handle the failing of the bank with his family members? How do they respond?
10. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4, and what does Tonio finally tell Hugh?
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)