|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What proposition does Hugh bring to the family bankers at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) To merge with a stockbroker house in New York.
(b) To invest in Cordova.
(c) To merge with a bank in New York.
(d) To buy a railroad in America.
2. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
(a) He is fat.
(b) He is rich.
(c) She is not in love with him.
(d) He is too nice to deceive.
3. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They take their clothes and run.
(b) They make them leave the hole.
(c) They throw their clothes in the water.
(d) They join them in a game.
4. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To play baccarat.
(b) To drink.
(c) To smoke.
(d) To find girlfriends.
5. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
(a) She stops a pickpocket.
(b) She prevents Augusta from finding him at the races.
(c) She stops him from taking a drink.
(d) She stops a man from hitting him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Micky now reside in Part I, Chapter 1?
2. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
3. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
4. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
2. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
3. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
4. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
5. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
6. What kind of a character is Hugh?
7. What secret is established in the Prologue?
8. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
9. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
10. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)