|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
(a) He does not want his father to be hurt.
(b) He is afraid of her.
(c) He does not care about the bank.
(d) He does not want the bank to be hurt.
2. Who do Edward, Micky and Hugh meet in the Argyll Room?
(a) Call girls.
(b) Danny Robinson.
(c) Friends from high school.
(d) Micky's father, Carlos.
3. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Letters from the court telling Hugh that there is an injuction.
(b) Letters of inquiry as to why he won't see her.
(c) Letters of inquiry as to why she won't see him.
(d) Letters from Florence concerning Rachel.
4. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Force Edward to marry.
(b) Leave London.
(c) Micky decides to marry.
(d) Trick Edward into marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
2. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
3. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
5. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret is established in the Prologue?
2. Describe the ratting and explain its significance to the story.
3. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
4. What does Hugh like about Nora when he first meets her?
5. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
6. What has become of Maisie and her family by Part 2?
7. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
8. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
9. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
10. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)