|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Letters of inquiry as to why she won't see him.
(b) Letters of inquiry as to why he won't see her.
(c) Letters from the court telling Hugh that there is an injuction.
(d) Letters from Florence concerning Rachel.
2. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) To show off her new house.
(b) To get a loan for Micky's father.
(c) To keep Hugh from bettering himself.
(d) To get Joseph voted Senior Partner.
3. What does Hugh decide to do with his future after the Nora incident in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Work harder to regain his family's acceptance.
(b) Go work for Greenbourne.
(c) Take time off.
(d) Go back to Boston.
4. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
(a) She is not in love with him.
(b) He is rich.
(c) He is fat.
(d) He is too nice to deceive.
5. Why does Augusta set Nora up at the ball?
(a) She does not want Hugh to become a partner at the bank.
(b) Augusta is jealous of her and Hugh's success.
(c) Augusta does not like Nora.
(d) Since Nora is beneath them, Augusta does not want her to be part of the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
2. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
3. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
4. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
5. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora do wrong at the costume ball, and how does she get into the predicament in the first place?
2. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
3. What kind of a character is Augusta?
4. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
5. What kind of a character is Hugh?
6. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
7. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
8. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
9. What secret is established in the Prologue?
10. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)