|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
(a) She wants to show off her new Japanese style.
(b) She wants Madeleine to help her ruin Samuel.
(c) She wants Madeleine to help her keep Hugh down.
(d) Because they are good friends who share everything.
2. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
(a) That Albert will testify against Edward.
(b) That Micky and Augusta have a deeper relationship.
(c) That Edward drowned Peter.
(d) That Micky and Edward had been telling the truth about the drowning.
3. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A Catholic school.
(b) A Jewish school.
(c) A public school.
(d) A boarding school.
4. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
5. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They make them leave the hole.
(b) They take their clothes and run.
(c) They throw their clothes in the water.
(d) They join them in a game.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. How does Micky kill Seth?
3. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
4. Why is Papa so angry with Micky in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
2. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
3. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
4. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
6. Why has Hugh come back from America in Part 2? (Be specific as to his goals.)
7. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
8. What kind of a character is Carlos Miranda?
9. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
10. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)