|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
(a) That Edward drowned Peter.
(b) That Albert will testify against Edward.
(c) That Micky and Augusta have a deeper relationship.
(d) That Micky and Edward had been telling the truth about the drowning.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 2, what is Hugh against the bank investing in?
(a) The Cordovan Railroad.
(b) A new building for the bank.
(c) Russian bonds.
(d) New infrastructure for London.
3. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A boarding school.
(b) A Catholic school.
(c) A public school.
(d) A Jewish school.
4. What does Micky do at the baccarat game that makes things go his way?
(a) He deals, so he can stack the cards.
(b) He plays with Tonio to help him lose.
(c) He plays with Edward as they set up a scam.
(d) He barely bets, so he can't lose.
5. What does Maisie eat with Bertie in the nursery?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Porridge and honey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Solly's parents do NOT like Maisie for all of the following reasons except for which one?
2. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
3. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
4. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
2. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
3. What has been Hugh's journey through the bank up to Part 1, Chapter 3?
4. Describe the ratting and explain its significance to the story.
5. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
6. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
7. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
8. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
9. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
10. What does Micky do to Seth in Part 1, Chapter 5? Why?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)