|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To drink.
(b) To find girlfriends.
(c) To play baccarat.
(d) To smoke.
2. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
(a) A carriage almost runs them over and Hugh pushes Maisie out of its way.
(b) He protects her from ruffians.
(c) Someone tries to rob them.
(d) Augusta confronts them and Hugh stands up to her.
3. What does Augusta reveal to Micky at the end of Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) That she knows he killed Peter.
(b) That a lawyer is looking into the drowning of Peter.
(c) That she is afraid for Micky about the drowning.
(d) That she wants him.
4. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A public school.
(b) A boarding school.
(c) A Catholic school.
(d) A Jewish school.
5. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) He has married someone else.
(b) He has lost his job.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has left the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
2. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. What is ratting?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
5. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Edward become Senior Partner of the bank?
2. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
3. How has Ben Greenbourne changed by the Epilogue?
4. What becomes of Edward, Augusta, Hugh, Maisie, Dan and Rachel?
5. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
6. How much time has passed between the end of Part 2, and the beginning of Part 3? What major changes have occurred?
7. What happens between Solly, Edward and Micky in Part 2, Chapter 5?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what does Augusta attempt to do to get cash for herself, and then what does she steal that will allow her to have a decent income?
9. With what question does Emily go to Maisie for help in Part 2, Chapter 3? Why Maisie? What does Maisie do to help her?
10. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)