|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They throw their clothes in the water.
(b) They take their clothes and run.
(c) They join them in a game.
(d) They make them leave the hole.
2. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
(a) He is angry at Hugh's taking charge.
(b) He fires Hugh for insubordination.
(c) He laughs about it and tells Hugh not to do it again.
(d) He admires Hugh's precociousness.
3. Why did Pilaster and Co. shut down?
(a) The workers went on strike.
(b) Nobody wanted the company's goods any longer.
(c) The bank collapsed.
(d) Toby Pilaster hanged himself.
4. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
(a) They want to question him about Micky.
(b) He needs to be told about Peter.
(c) Hugh's mother is there to see him.
(d) Hugh will be whipped for going swimming.
5. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) To the seaside to be with his mother.
(b) He stays in London at the bank.
(c) To Soho to be with Maisie.
(d) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
2. How does Micky kill Seth?
3. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
4. Solly's parents do NOT like Maisie for all of the following reasons except for which one?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
2. What transpires about marriage and taking care of oneself between Maisie and April in Part 1, Chapter 3?
3. What does Micky do to finalize the demise of Tonio?
4. What kind of a character is Seth? Be sure to mention his business acumen and religious beliefs.
5. What information does Tonio bring to Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 2, and what does he tell him of Tonio's plans?
6. What is the tale of Maisie and Danny, and what is its tie in to the boys at the school?
7. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
8. What is the setting of the novel, and how does it affect the storyline immediately?
9. What secret is established in the Prologue?
10. Who is Augusta now manipulating in Part 2, and why?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)