|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) To get Joseph voted Senior Partner.
(b) To show off her new house.
(c) To keep Hugh from bettering himself.
(d) To get a loan for Micky's father.
2. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She does not love Hugh.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is not Jewish.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. Why won't Pilaster bank loan Carlos Miranda money?
(a) He does not live in England.
(b) They don't know if he is legitimate or not.
(c) He is Spanish.
(d) He wants to purchase arms with it.
4. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
(b) New York.
5. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To find girlfriends.
(b) To drink.
(c) To play baccarat.
(d) To smoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the boys in detention in the Prologue of the book?
2. What system does Hugh come up with at the bank to organize papers?
3. What does Augusta discuss with Lady Morte that offends the Lady?
4. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugh go to the Greenbourne's for a job?
2. What kind of a character is Hugh?
3. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
4. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
5. What does Micky do to Seth in Part 1, Chapter 5? Why?
6. What happens to Hugh in Part 1, Chapter 5?
7. What does Hugh like about Nora when he first meets her?
8. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
9. How does Augusta split up Maisie and Hugh?
10. In Part 1, Chapter 5, what has happened with Maisie since she last saw Hugh?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)