|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Solly's parents do NOT like Maisie for all of the following reasons except for which one?
(a) She is a Russian Jew.
(b) She can't have any more babies.
(c) She had another man's baby.
(d) She was poor.
2. What position is Hugh an assistant to in Part I, Chapter 3?
(a) Senior Partner.
(b) Junior Partner.
(c) Correspondence Clerk.
(d) The Principal Clerk.
3. What class of people generally go to the Argyll Room?
(b) Call girls and the men who want them.
(c) Clerks and small businessmen.
4. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
(a) Personally convince the bank not to lend them money.
(b) Run an editorial explaining the condition in the mines.
(c) Blackmail the Mirandas.
(d) Purchase guns to start a war against them.
5. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
(a) Just the poor.
(b) Just the working class.
(c) All types.
(d) Just the weathy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
3. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
4. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. How does Micky kill Seth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the night in the brothel reveal about Edward and Micky?
2. How does Maisie come back into the picture in Part 1, Chapter 2? Who is she with? What happens with her and Hugh?
3. How are Micky and Augusta tied to each other forever?
4. What happens between Micky and Augusta in the church? What is the significance of their conversation?
5. What do the letters to Florence and the feelings of Hugh's that follow tell you about their relationship?
6. Describe the ratting and explain its significance to the story.
7. What more does Hugh know about Peter's drowning in Part 1, Chapter 3, now that he has corresponded with Albert Cammel, the fourth boy that was swimming that day?
8. What transpires between Hugh and Maisie in Part I, Chapter 4?
9. What has happened with Micky in the six years that Hugh was gone, and what are his future and immediate plans?
10. How does Micky take control and keep control over the baccarat game?
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)