|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is never discovered about Micky in the end of the book?
(a) His killing of Seth.
(b) His killing of Peter.
(c) His involvement in the revolution.
(d) How his body got in the trunk.
2. What does Edward tell Micky about Whitehaven?
(a) He hates the house.
(b) Emily has moved back in.
(c) The house is too small.
(d) He needs to move away from his mother.
3. How old is Hugh in Part 3 of the novel?
4. Why do Hugh and Samuel decide to resign from the bank?
(a) They want to work with the Greenbournes.
(b) They want to open a bank of their own.
(c) Because the bank is backing Cordova.
(d) Because Edward is named Senior Partner.
5. What do the partners want from Edward after the money crisis is discovered?
(a) His dignity.
(c) A written apology.
(d) His resignation.
6. In the last decade, by Part 3, Chapter 2, how many bonds has Pilaster Bank given Cordova?
(a) Two a year.
(b) One a year.
(c) One total.
(d) Five total.
7. What does Augusta ask Fortescue to do to help get Joseph the peerage?
(a) Remind the prime minister that Ben is Jewish.
(b) Advise Hobbes to do as Augusta asks.
(c) Remind the prime minister that Joseph is a safe alternative.
(d) Advise Lady Morte to do as Augusta asks.
8. What does Hugh tell the family that they must do after the bank folds?
(a) Take all of their personal belongings and hide them.
(b) Come to the bank to get what cash they can.
(c) Dismiss their servants; sell their houses.
(d) Sell what they can and keep the money.
9. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what news does Emily bring to Maisie?
(a) Emiily has fallen in love with a poet.
(b) Emily is going to have a baby.
(c) Emily and Edward have reuinited.
(d) Emily will divorced Edward.
10. What does Mulberry do when Hugh tells him to close the bank's doors?
(a) He cries.
(b) He refuses to close the doors.
(c) He closes the doors.
(d) He curses.
11. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
(a) They will sell the bonds first and then give Micky the money they have made.
(b) They will loan him half of what he asked for.
(c) They will ask for a higher commission.
(d) It is worth the risk.
12. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To sway the Prime Minister to back President Garcia.
(b) To warn Hugh of Micky's murderous family.
(c) To take his job back.
(d) To kill Micky.
13. How does Micky's plan with the ruffians almost go wrong?
(a) Tonio is first accompanied with Hugh.
(b) The ruffians attack the wrong man.
(c) Two policemen walk down the street.
(d) Tonio has relocated to another hotel.
14. What becomes of the argument between Micky and Rachel after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Rachel leaves Micky.
(b) Micky promises to be better but leaves.
(c) They kiss and make up.
(d) Micky locks her in a room.
15. What does Maisie say only a few moments after Hugh arrives to give his condolences in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Will you lend me money?
(b) Bertie is your son.
(c) Who do you think murdered Solly?
(d) If you hadn't married Nora, you could have married me.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last place that Hugh visits?
2. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
3. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
4. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)