|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Ben continue his relationship with his daughter-in-law, Maisie?
(a) She is mean to Ben.
(b) She is not Jewish.
(c) Ben does not trust that she will handle money well.
(d) She was a commoner and the child was not Solly's.
2. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
(a) She ignores them.
(b) With love and affection.
(c) With irritability.
(d) Well, but not warmly.
3. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
(a) World recession.
(b) Edward's bad management of the money.
(c) The Cordovan revolution.
(d) Investment in small businesses.
4. Why is Micky worried at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) The police know about the drowning.
(b) He had to tell his father there would be no money.
(c) Edward is avoiding him.
(d) Augusta won't speak to him.
5. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Micky has been killed.
(b) The government wants the hospital to close.
(c) Dan has been killed.
(d) The hospital's money is gone.
6. How does Micky persuade Edward to secretly give him the loan in Part 3?
(a) He tells Edward that he will have to return to Cordova.
(b) He tells Edward that he loves Augusta and will have to tell her if he does not get the money.
(c) He tells Edward that he loves him.
(d) He asks Edward to come live with him.
7. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) A small house nine miles from London.
(b) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
(c) To an apartment in London.
(d) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
8. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
(a) Edward will be completely ruined.
(b) The Cordovan government may repay the loans.
(c) Micky will be gone from his life forever.
(d) Augusta will be gone from his life forever.
9. How does Emily respond to Edward in Part 2, Chapter 4 when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) She kicks Micky in the groin.
(b) She begs him to not give up on them.
(c) She punches him.
(d) She tells Edward it is his fault.
10. Why is Augusta in a wheelchair in the Epilogue?
(a) She fell down her stairs trying to get her trunk out of the house.
(b) Micky beat her.
(c) She hurt her back throwing Micky overboard.
(d) She fell trying to jump onto the ship as it moved out of the pier.
11. How many children does Hugh have?
12. What is Maisie and Dan's conversation about with the guests at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Social issues.
(b) The lavish food.
(d) Pilaster bank.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what simile does Follett use to speak of how Augusta feels about Joseph's new title?
(a) She "was like a hen that had laid an egg."
(b) She "was like a child on her birthday."
(c) She "was as pleased as punch."
(d) She "was as happy as a lark."
14. How does Edward get Solly to agree to give money to the Santamaria Railroad?
(a) Edward has to make a personal guarantee.
(b) Edward has to be nicer to Hugh.
(c) Edward has to take a share in a scheme of Solly's.
(d) Edward has to give up his partnership.
15. How does Micky respond to what Emily does to trick Edward?
(a) He calls for April to come fetch Emily.
(b) He yells obscenities.
(c) He laughs heartily.
(d) He leaves the room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Maisie walk the half mile to the dinner party in Part 2, Chapter 3?
2. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
4. What does Hugh tell the family that they must do after the bank folds?
5. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)