|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Hugh and Samuel decide to resign from the bank?
(a) Because Edward is named Senior Partner.
(b) Because the bank is backing Cordova.
(c) They want to open a bank of their own.
(d) They want to work with the Greenbournes.
2. What do the partners want from Edward after the money crisis is discovered?
(a) His resignation.
(b) His dignity.
(d) A written apology.
3. What does Hugh think about telling Ben in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) That Ben is a mean old man.
(b) That Solly never loved his father.
(c) That Bertie is Hugh's son.
(d) That Micky killed Solly.
4. What is Maisie and Dan's conversation about with the guests at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The lavish food.
(b) Pilaster bank.
(d) Social issues.
5. In the last decade, by Part 3, Chapter 2, how many bonds has Pilaster Bank given Cordova?
(a) One total.
(b) One a year.
(c) Five total.
(d) Two a year.
6. Why does Ben Greenbourne go to Windfield in the Epilogue?
(a) He wants to watch Bertie's water polo game.
(b) He wants to find out if Bertie is Hugh's son.
(c) He wants Bertie to be his grandson again.
(d) He wants to cause trouble for Maisie and Hugh.
7. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
(a) Edward loathes Micky.
(b) Edward loves Micky.
(c) Edward has syphilis.
(d) Edward will not go with Micky.
8. What does Emily want to discuss with Maisie after one of her afternoon teas in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Edward's visits to Nellie's
(b) Augusta's attitude toward her marriage to Edward.
(c) Edward's relationship with Micky.
(d) Personal problems with Edward.
9. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) Health issues.
(b) His granddaughter is missing.
(c) A struggle over losing Bertie.
(d) Financial problems.
10. What does Maisie say only a few moments after Hugh arrives to give his condolences in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Who do you think murdered Solly?
(b) Will you lend me money?
(c) If you hadn't married Nora, you could have married me.
(d) Bertie is your son.
11. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
(a) Investment in small businesses.
(b) World recession.
(c) Edward's bad management of the money.
(d) The Cordovan revolution.
12. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
(a) He is happy about the business.
(b) He is angry that Hugh is not a partner.
(c) He wants to make another deal.
(d) He is angry that business is not going well.
13. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
(a) She misses Edward.
(b) To annoy Augusta.
(c) So she can get pregnant.
(d) To get her annulment.
14. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
(a) A sapphire brooch.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A pendant of rubies and sapphires.
(d) Ruby earings.
15. What does Hugh tell the family that they must do after the bank folds?
(a) Take all of their personal belongings and hide them.
(b) Sell what they can and keep the money.
(c) Dismiss their servants; sell their houses.
(d) Come to the bank to get what cash they can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
2. How many children does Hugh have?
3. Why is Solly so angry with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. How does Micky respond to what Emily does to trick Edward?
5. Why is Micky angry that he runs into Hugh when he returns to the club to play cards with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)