|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) In a rundown hotel.
(b) In a warehouse.
(c) At the docks.
(d) In a public hospital.
2. Why doesn't Ben continue his relationship with his daughter-in-law, Maisie?
(a) She was a commoner and the child was not Solly's.
(b) Ben does not trust that she will handle money well.
(c) She is not Jewish.
(d) She is mean to Ben.
3. Why does Ben Greenbourne go to Windfield in the Epilogue?
(a) He wants to cause trouble for Maisie and Hugh.
(b) He wants Bertie to be his grandson again.
(c) He wants to find out if Bertie is Hugh's son.
(d) He wants to watch Bertie's water polo game.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what simile does Follett use to speak of how Augusta feels about Joseph's new title?
(a) She "was as happy as a lark."
(b) She "was like a hen that had laid an egg."
(c) She "was like a child on her birthday."
(d) She "was as pleased as punch."
5. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
(a) The south of France.
(c) Lima, Peru.
6. What does Augusta ask Hobbes to do to help her get Joseph the peerage?
(a) To write a slanderous piece against Ben.
(b) To write a glowing piece for Joseph.
(c) To write that a Chistian banker is needed.
(d) To write a slanderous piece against Jews.
7. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
(a) The Cordovan revolution.
(b) Edward's bad management of the money.
(c) Investment in small businesses.
(d) World recession.
8. What is the last place that Hugh visits?
(a) The bank.
(b) The pond at Windfield.
(c) Peter's grave.
(d) His house in Kensington.
9. What does Hugh finally do with Maisie when he goes to the hospital to see Rachel?
(a) He cries.
(b) He tells her that he loves her.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He says he is leaving Nora.
10. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To an apartment in London.
(b) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
(c) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
(d) A small house nine miles from London.
11. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
(a) Augusta will be gone from his life forever.
(b) Edward will be completely ruined.
(c) The Cordovan government may repay the loans.
(d) Micky will be gone from his life forever.
12. What becomes of the argument between Micky and Rachel after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Micky promises to be better but leaves.
(b) Rachel leaves Micky.
(c) Micky locks her in a room.
(d) They kiss and make up.
13. Where is Maisie working in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) At Nellie's, with April.
(b) At Rachel's hospital.
(c) At Windfield school.
(d) At the Pilaster Bank.
14. What does the Prince of Wales tell Maisie that he will do for her?
(a) Tell Augusta to stay away from Nora.
(b) Speak with Augusta.
(c) Ignore Augusta.
(d) Forgive Augusta.
15. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
(a) He goes to Ben for help.
(b) He goes to Tonio for help.
(c) He writes an article for the newspaper.
(d) He tries to get the Cordovan government to pay the loans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
2. What does Augusta ask Fortescue to do to help get Joseph the peerage?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
4. What does Hobbes ask Augusta to get him a loan for from the bank?
5. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)