|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To an apartment in London.
(b) A small house nine miles from London.
(c) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
(d) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
2. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She knows Bertie is his.
(c) She wants to leave him.
(d) She threatens Maisie if Hugh should leave her.
3. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
(a) She had begged them to.
(b) She has blackmailed them.
(c) They don't want Hugh as Senior Partner.
(d) It is the right decision.
4. What does Mulberry do when Hugh tells him to close the bank's doors?
(a) He curses.
(b) He cries.
(c) He refuses to close the doors.
(d) He closes the doors.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what simile does Follett use to speak of how Augusta feels about Joseph's new title?
(a) She "was as pleased as punch."
(b) She "was like a hen that had laid an egg."
(c) She "was as happy as a lark."
(d) She "was like a child on her birthday."
6. What does Micky do to Solly that causes Solly's death?
(a) Micky hits Solly with a rock and then pushes hiim into the river.
(b) Micky stabs Solly.
(c) Micky pushes Solly in front of a carriage.
(d) Micky hires thugs to kill Solly.
7. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Emily was involved with another man,.
(b) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(c) That Micky is a murderer.
(d) That Micky loves Edward.
8. Who does not take Augusta's side against Hugh in Part 3?
9. What does Hugh finally do with Maisie when he goes to the hospital to see Rachel?
(a) He cries.
(b) He says he is leaving Nora.
(c) He tells her that he loves her.
(d) He kisses her.
10. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
(a) A sapphire brooch.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A pendant of rubies and sapphires.
(d) Ruby earings.
11. How old is Hugh in Part 3 of the novel?
12. Why is Micky worried at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Edward is avoiding him.
(b) Augusta won't speak to him.
(c) The police know about the drowning.
(d) He had to tell his father there would be no money.
13. Where is Maisie working in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) At Windfield school.
(b) At the Pilaster Bank.
(c) At Rachel's hospital.
(d) At Nellie's, with April.
14. What does Augusta ask Hobbes to do to help her get Joseph the peerage?
(a) To write a slanderous piece against Ben.
(b) To write a slanderous piece against Jews.
(c) To write that a Chistian banker is needed.
(d) To write a glowing piece for Joseph.
15. Why is Micky angry that he runs into Hugh when he returns to the club to play cards with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Micky hates Hugh and does not want to see him.
(b) Micky is visibly upset over Solly's death.
(c) Micky does not want Hugh playing cards with them.
(d) Micky will not have an alibi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Micky follow Solly from the club after he argues with Edward?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Micky find in Tonio's room?
3. What were the Mirandas planning on doing with the money they wanted to obtain from Pilaster's Bank?
4. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)