|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Augusta ask Fortescue to do to help get Joseph the peerage?
(a) Advise Hobbes to do as Augusta asks.
(b) Remind the prime minister that Ben is Jewish.
(c) Remind the prime minister that Joseph is a safe alternative.
(d) Advise Lady Morte to do as Augusta asks.
2. What does Hugh finally learn from Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Micky was instrumental in Tonio losing his job.
(b) Micky made sure Hugh was sent to Boston.
(c) Micky drowned Peter on purpose.
(d) Edward drowned Peter on purpose.
3. What becomes of the argument between Micky and Rachel after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Micky locks her in a room.
(b) Rachel leaves Micky.
(c) Micky promises to be better but leaves.
(d) They kiss and make up.
4. What does Emily want to discuss with Maisie after one of her afternoon teas in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Edward's visits to Nellie's
(b) Augusta's attitude toward her marriage to Edward.
(c) Edward's relationship with Micky.
(d) Personal problems with Edward.
5. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
(a) They will loan him half of what he asked for.
(b) They will ask for a higher commission.
(c) It is worth the risk.
(d) They will sell the bonds first and then give Micky the money they have made.
6. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Get dressed.
(c) Entertain their friends.
7. What does Hugh give Dotty for her dowry?
(a) A dukedon.
(b) 100,000 pounds.
(c) A house.
(d) A farm.
8. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(b) That Micky is a murderer.
(c) That Emily was involved with another man,.
(d) That Micky loves Edward.
9. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
(a) He goes to Tonio for help.
(b) He tries to get the Cordovan government to pay the loans.
(c) He goes to Ben for help.
(d) He writes an article for the newspaper.
10. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The hospital's money is gone.
(b) Dan has been killed.
(c) Micky has been killed.
(d) The government wants the hospital to close.
11. What do the partners want from Edward after the money crisis is discovered?
(a) His resignation.
(b) His dignity.
(d) A written apology.
12. Why is Micky angry that he runs into Hugh when he returns to the club to play cards with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Micky does not want Hugh playing cards with them.
(b) Micky is visibly upset over Solly's death.
(c) Micky hates Hugh and does not want to see him.
(d) Micky will not have an alibi.
13. How many children does Hugh have?
14. What were the Mirandas planning on doing with the money they wanted to obtain from Pilaster's Bank?
(a) Build another railroad.
(b) Lay seige to the capital of Cordova.
(c) Build a harbor.
(d) Open more mines.
15. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. What risk does Maisie take for Nora in Part 2, Chapter 4?
2. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
3. Why is Micky worried at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
5. How does Edward get Solly to agree to give money to the Santamaria Railroad?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)