|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh give Dotty for her dowry?
(a) A dukedon.
(b) 100,000 pounds.
(c) A farm.
(d) A house.
2. Why doesn't Ben continue his relationship with his daughter-in-law, Maisie?
(a) Ben does not trust that she will handle money well.
(b) She is mean to Ben.
(c) She is not Jewish.
(d) She was a commoner and the child was not Solly's.
3. How does Micky respond to what Emily does to trick Edward?
(a) He yells obscenities.
(b) He leaves the room.
(c) He laughs heartily.
(d) He calls for April to come fetch Emily.
4. Where is Maisie working in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) At the Pilaster Bank.
(b) At Nellie's, with April.
(c) At Rachel's hospital.
(d) At Windfield school.
5. What happens to Tonio at the train station in Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) Micky pushes him in front of the train.
(b) He joins Micky and attempts to kill Hugh.
(c) He slips and falls in front of the train.
(d) Micky shoots him.
6. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) In a rundown hotel.
(b) At the docks.
(c) In a public hospital.
(d) In a warehouse.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Micky find in Tonio's room?
(a) A key.
(c) A note from Hugh.
(d) The witness statements.
8. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
(a) He wants to make another deal.
(b) He is angry that business is not going well.
(c) He is happy about the business.
(d) He is angry that Hugh is not a partner.
9. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
(a) He writes an article for the newspaper.
(b) He goes to Ben for help.
(c) He tries to get the Cordovan government to pay the loans.
(d) He goes to Tonio for help.
10. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
11. What does Hugh tell the family that they must do after the bank folds?
(a) Come to the bank to get what cash they can.
(b) Dismiss their servants; sell their houses.
(c) Take all of their personal belongings and hide them.
(d) Sell what they can and keep the money.
12. How has Micky gotten rich by Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) He has taken a commission on every bond.
(b) He has worked hard.
(c) He has swindled people out of their money.
(d) He has stolen money from the ministry.
13. How does Micky persuade Edward to secretly give him the loan in Part 3?
(a) He asks Edward to come live with him.
(b) He tells Edward that he will have to return to Cordova.
(c) He tells Edward that he loves him.
(d) He tells Edward that he loves Augusta and will have to tell her if he does not get the money.
14. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
(a) A pendant of rubies and sapphires.
(b) A sapphire brooch.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) Ruby earings.
15. What do Rachel and Micky argue about after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Micky's being rough with Rachel.
(b) Micky going out at nights to the brothel.
(c) Micky's friendship with Edward.
(d) Having children that Micky did not want.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Solly so angry with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
2. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
3. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what simile does Follett use to speak of how Augusta feels about Joseph's new title?
5. Where does Bertie go to school?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)