|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
(a) He is angry that business is not going well.
(b) He is angry that Hugh is not a partner.
(c) He wants to make another deal.
(d) He is happy about the business.
2. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) That Edward knows Micky is up to no good.
(b) That he knows about the drowning.
(c) That Edward is in love with him.
(d) That Edward will be asked to leave the bank.
3. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) A struggle over losing Bertie.
(b) His granddaughter is missing.
(c) Health issues.
(d) Financial problems.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what simile does Follett use to speak of how Augusta feels about Joseph's new title?
(a) She "was like a hen that had laid an egg."
(b) She "was as happy as a lark."
(c) She "was like a child on her birthday."
(d) She "was as pleased as punch."
5. How old is Hugh in Part 3 of the novel?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
(a) Hugh Pilaster.
(b) Edward Pilaster.
(c) M.R. Andrews.
(d) Tonio Silva.
7. Who does Hugh believe is behind the fraud at the bank in Part 3?
8. What does Hugh learn in his conversation with Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Solly did not know Bertie was not his.
(b) Bertie is his son.
(c) Solly did not know Maisie was poor.
(d) Ben believes Solly was murdered.
9. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
(a) Well, but not warmly.
(b) With love and affection.
(c) She ignores them.
(d) With irritability.
10. What does the Prince of Wales tell Maisie that he will do for her?
(a) Ignore Augusta.
(b) Speak with Augusta.
(c) Tell Augusta to stay away from Nora.
(d) Forgive Augusta.
11. What does Micky do to Solly that causes Solly's death?
(a) Micky hires thugs to kill Solly.
(b) Micky pushes Solly in front of a carriage.
(c) Micky hits Solly with a rock and then pushes hiim into the river.
(d) Micky stabs Solly.
12. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
(b) Lima, Peru.
(d) The south of France.
13. How does Edward get Solly to agree to give money to the Santamaria Railroad?
(a) Edward has to make a personal guarantee.
(b) Edward has to be nicer to Hugh.
(c) Edward has to give up his partnership.
(d) Edward has to take a share in a scheme of Solly's.
14. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Micky loves Edward.
(b) That Micky is a murderer.
(c) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(d) That Emily was involved with another man,.
15. What has Hugh been unsuccessful at stopping in Part 2 , Chapter 5?
(a) The death of Tonio.
(b) The Santamaria Railroad.
(c) The knowledge of Peter's death.
(d) The marriage of Rachel and Micky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
2. Who is the unhappy guest at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
4. Where does Emily spend all of her time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
5. Why do Hugh and Samuel decide to resign from the bank?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)