|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the Mirandas planning on doing with the money they wanted to obtain from Pilaster's Bank?
(a) Build a harbor.
(b) Build another railroad.
(c) Open more mines.
(d) Lay seige to the capital of Cordova.
2. What does Augusta ask Fortescue to do to help get Joseph the peerage?
(a) Advise Hobbes to do as Augusta asks.
(b) Advise Lady Morte to do as Augusta asks.
(c) Remind the prime minister that Joseph is a safe alternative.
(d) Remind the prime minister that Ben is Jewish.
3. Why can't Maisie walk the half mile to the dinner party in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Her ankle is swollen.
(b) Solly will not allow her.
(c) Her gown is too elaborate.
(d) Women of her situation don't walk.
4. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Micky is a murderer.
(b) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(c) That Emily was involved with another man,.
(d) That Micky loves Edward.
5. How many children does Hugh have?
6. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what simile does Follett use to speak of how Augusta feels about Joseph's new title?
(a) She "was as happy as a lark."
(b) She "was like a child on her birthday."
(c) She "was like a hen that had laid an egg."
(d) She "was as pleased as punch."
7. Who is the unhappy guest at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
8. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) That he knows about the drowning.
(b) That Edward will be asked to leave the bank.
(c) That Edward is in love with him.
(d) That Edward knows Micky is up to no good.
9. Why doesn't Ben continue his relationship with his daughter-in-law, Maisie?
(a) Ben does not trust that she will handle money well.
(b) She is not Jewish.
(c) She was a commoner and the child was not Solly's.
(d) She is mean to Ben.
10. What does Hugh think about telling Ben in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) That Solly never loved his father.
(b) That Micky killed Solly.
(c) That Bertie is Hugh's son.
(d) That Ben is a mean old man.
11. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
(b) A small house nine miles from London.
(c) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
(d) To an apartment in London.
12. Who does Hugh believe is behind the fraud at the bank in Part 3?
13. How old is Hugh in Part 3 of the novel?
14. What does Augusta ask Lady Morte to do to help Joseph get the peerage?
(a) To tell Lord Morte not to vote for Ben.
(b) To tell Her Majesty that Ben is a sinner.
(c) To tell Lord Morte to gather his friends to vote for Joseph.
(d) To tell Her Majesty that Ben is a practicing Jew.
15. What has Hugh been unsuccessful at stopping in Part 2 , Chapter 5?
(a) The knowledge of Peter's death.
(b) The marriage of Rachel and Micky.
(c) The death of Tonio.
(d) The Santamaria Railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Micky gotten rich by Part 3, Chapter 2?
2. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
3. What does Emily do to Augusta when Augusta tries to take the papers from her in Part 3, Chapter 2?
4. Who does not take Augusta's side against Hugh in Part 3?
5. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)