|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
(a) She has blackmailed them.
(b) It is the right decision.
(c) She had begged them to.
(d) They don't want Hugh as Senior Partner.
2. What has Hugh been unsuccessful at stopping in Part 2 , Chapter 5?
(a) The knowledge of Peter's death.
(b) The marriage of Rachel and Micky.
(c) The Santamaria Railroad.
(d) The death of Tonio.
3. Where is Maisie working in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) At Rachel's hospital.
(b) At the Pilaster Bank.
(c) At Nellie's, with April.
(d) At Windfield school.
4. Where does Emily spend all of her time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) In a country house.
(b) With Rachel.
(c) At her parent's house.
(d) In an apartment in the city.
5. Why is Augusta in a wheelchair in the Epilogue?
(a) She fell trying to jump onto the ship as it moved out of the pier.
(b) She fell down her stairs trying to get her trunk out of the house.
(c) Micky beat her.
(d) She hurt her back throwing Micky overboard.
6. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
(c) The south of France.
(d) Lima, Peru.
7. What does Hugh learn in his conversation with Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Bertie is his son.
(b) Ben believes Solly was murdered.
(c) Solly did not know Maisie was poor.
(d) Solly did not know Bertie was not his.
8. What does Emily want to discuss with Maisie after one of her afternoon teas in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Edward's relationship with Micky.
(b) Edward's visits to Nellie's
(c) Augusta's attitude toward her marriage to Edward.
(d) Personal problems with Edward.
9. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) His granddaughter is missing.
(b) Health issues.
(c) Financial problems.
(d) A struggle over losing Bertie.
10. What does Maisie say only a few moments after Hugh arrives to give his condolences in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Bertie is your son.
(b) If you hadn't married Nora, you could have married me.
(c) Who do you think murdered Solly?
(d) Will you lend me money?
11. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what news does Emily bring to Maisie?
(a) Emily and Edward have reuinited.
(b) Emily is going to have a baby.
(c) Emiily has fallen in love with a poet.
(d) Emily will divorced Edward.
12. What does Maisie ask of Hugh after they return from Bertie's school in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) To stay at the bank.
(b) To come home with her.
(c) To avenge Solly's death.
(d) To loan her money.
13. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
(a) Edward's bad management of the money.
(b) Investment in small businesses.
(c) World recession.
(d) The Cordovan revolution.
14. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Micky is a murderer.
(b) That Micky loves Edward.
(c) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(d) That Emily was involved with another man,.
15. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
(a) A pendant of rubies and sapphires.
(b) Ruby earings.
(c) A diamond ring.
(d) A sapphire brooch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Hugh in Part 3 of the novel?
2. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
3. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. How does Micky respond to what Emily does to trick Edward?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)