|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What risk does Maisie take for Nora in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) She keeps a secret from Solly for her.
(b) She speaks to Augusta on her behalf.
(c) She goes to April's with her.
(d) She is going to re-introduce her to society.
2. To whom does Maisie take Emily to find answers to her questions that she poses at the afternoon tea?
3. What conclusion does Micky come to in Part 2, Chapter 5 about women?
(a) They should be caged.
(b) They are all idiots.
(c) Englishmen are afraid of them.
(d) They should be educated.
4. How does Micky respond to what Emily does to trick Edward?
(a) He yells obscenities.
(b) He leaves the room.
(c) He calls for April to come fetch Emily.
(d) He laughs heartily.
5. What is the last place that Hugh visits?
(a) Peter's grave.
(b) The bank.
(c) His house in Kensington.
(d) The pond at Windfield.
6. What do Rachel and Micky argue about after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Having children that Micky did not want.
(b) Micky's friendship with Edward.
(c) Micky going out at nights to the brothel.
(d) Micky's being rough with Rachel.
7. What has Hugh been unsuccessful at stopping in Part 2 , Chapter 5?
(a) The marriage of Rachel and Micky.
(b) The Santamaria Railroad.
(c) The death of Tonio.
(d) The knowledge of Peter's death.
8. Why is Solly so angry with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Solly knows how he has fought against Hugh.
(b) Solly knows that the railroad investment is no good.
(c) Solly discovered what he did to Emily.
(d) Solly knows that he and Augusta were behind the articles about Ben.
9. Where is Maisie working in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) At Windfield school.
(b) At the Pilaster Bank.
(c) At Rachel's hospital.
(d) At Nellie's, with April.
10. What does the Prince of Wales tell Maisie that he will do for her?
(a) Ignore Augusta.
(b) Forgive Augusta.
(c) Speak with Augusta.
(d) Tell Augusta to stay away from Nora.
11. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
(a) Micky will be gone from his life forever.
(b) Augusta will be gone from his life forever.
(c) The Cordovan government may repay the loans.
(d) Edward will be completely ruined.
12. What does Augusta ask Fortescue to do to help get Joseph the peerage?
(a) Remind the prime minister that Joseph is a safe alternative.
(b) Remind the prime minister that Ben is Jewish.
(c) Advise Hobbes to do as Augusta asks.
(d) Advise Lady Morte to do as Augusta asks.
13. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She knows Bertie is his.
(c) She threatens Maisie if Hugh should leave her.
(d) She wants to leave him.
14. Why doesn't Ben continue his relationship with his daughter-in-law, Maisie?
(a) Ben does not trust that she will handle money well.
(b) She is mean to Ben.
(c) She is not Jewish.
(d) She was a commoner and the child was not Solly's.
15. What does Emily do to Augusta when Augusta tries to take the papers from her in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Emily ignores her and walks right passed her.
(b) Emily slaps her.
(c) Emily pushes her down.
(d) Emily curses at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hugh think about telling Ben in Part 3, Chapter 3?
2. Why does Ben Greenbourne go to Windfield in the Epilogue?
3. What is Maisie and Dan's conversation about with the guests at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
4. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
5. What does Maisie say only a few moments after Hugh arrives to give his condolences in Part 2, Chapter 5?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)