|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Emily respond to Edward in Part 2, Chapter 4 when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) She tells Edward it is his fault.
(b) She punches him.
(c) She begs him to not give up on them.
(d) She kicks Micky in the groin.
2. Why doesn't Ben continue his relationship with his daughter-in-law, Maisie?
(a) She is mean to Ben.
(b) She is not Jewish.
(c) She was a commoner and the child was not Solly's.
(d) Ben does not trust that she will handle money well.
3. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
(a) So she can get pregnant.
(b) She misses Edward.
(c) To get her annulment.
(d) To annoy Augusta.
4. What happens to Tonio at the train station in Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) Micky pushes him in front of the train.
(b) He joins Micky and attempts to kill Hugh.
(c) He slips and falls in front of the train.
(d) Micky shoots him.
5. Who does Hugh believe is behind the fraud at the bank in Part 3?
6. What risk does Maisie take for Nora in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) She speaks to Augusta on her behalf.
(b) She is going to re-introduce her to society.
(c) She keeps a secret from Solly for her.
(d) She goes to April's with her.
7. What is never discovered about Micky in the end of the book?
(a) His killing of Peter.
(b) His killing of Seth.
(c) His involvement in the revolution.
(d) How his body got in the trunk.
8. What does Hugh think about telling Ben in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) That Ben is a mean old man.
(b) That Bertie is Hugh's son.
(c) That Micky killed Solly.
(d) That Solly never loved his father.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Edward do to Emily when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) He apologizes to her.
(b) He spits on her.
(c) He punches her in the face.
(d) He wraps her up and sends her home.
10. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) His granddaughter is missing.
(b) A struggle over losing Bertie.
(c) Health issues.
(d) Financial problems.
11. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(b) That Micky is a murderer.
(c) That Emily was involved with another man,.
(d) That Micky loves Edward.
12. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
(a) They don't want Hugh as Senior Partner.
(b) She had begged them to.
(c) She has blackmailed them.
(d) It is the right decision.
13. What is happening at Nellie's that is a gimmick that April put into practice?
(a) Gambling and girls.
(b) Women's choice.
(c) Blind Man's Buff.
(d) A masquerade.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
(a) Edward Pilaster.
(b) M.R. Andrews.
(c) Hugh Pilaster.
(d) Tonio Silva.
15. What does Maisie ask of Hugh after they return from Bertie's school in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) To stay at the bank.
(b) To loan her money.
(c) To come home with her.
(d) To avenge Solly's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
2. What does Hugh give Dotty for her dowry?
3. To whom does Maisie take Emily to find answers to her questions that she poses at the afternoon tea?
4. What does Emily do to Augusta when Augusta tries to take the papers from her in Part 3, Chapter 2?
5. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)