|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last place that Hugh visits?
(a) Peter's grave.
(b) The bank.
(c) The pond at Windfield.
(d) His house in Kensington.
2. What does Augusta ask Lady Morte to do to help Joseph get the peerage?
(a) To tell Her Majesty that Ben is a practicing Jew.
(b) To tell Her Majesty that Ben is a sinner.
(c) To tell Lord Morte not to vote for Ben.
(d) To tell Lord Morte to gather his friends to vote for Joseph.
3. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To sway the Prime Minister to back President Garcia.
(b) To take his job back.
(c) To warn Hugh of Micky's murderous family.
(d) To kill Micky.
4. What does Micky do to Solly that causes Solly's death?
(a) Micky hires thugs to kill Solly.
(b) Micky stabs Solly.
(c) Micky pushes Solly in front of a carriage.
(d) Micky hits Solly with a rock and then pushes hiim into the river.
5. How does Micky persuade Edward to secretly give him the loan in Part 3?
(a) He tells Edward that he will have to return to Cordova.
(b) He tells Edward that he loves him.
(c) He asks Edward to come live with him.
(d) He tells Edward that he loves Augusta and will have to tell her if he does not get the money.
6. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) A struggle over losing Bertie.
(b) Financial problems.
(c) His granddaughter is missing.
(d) Health issues.
7. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
(a) She had begged them to.
(b) It is the right decision.
(c) They don't want Hugh as Senior Partner.
(d) She has blackmailed them.
8. What do Rachel and Micky argue about after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Having children that Micky did not want.
(b) Micky's being rough with Rachel.
(c) Micky going out at nights to the brothel.
(d) Micky's friendship with Edward.
9. How has Micky gotten rich by Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) He has taken a commission on every bond.
(b) He has stolen money from the ministry.
(c) He has worked hard.
(d) He has swindled people out of their money.
10. What does Hugh give Dotty for her dowry?
(a) A dukedon.
(b) 100,000 pounds.
(c) A house.
(d) A farm.
11. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
(c) Lima, Peru.
(d) The south of France.
12. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) That Edward will be asked to leave the bank.
(b) That Edward is in love with him.
(c) That he knows about the drowning.
(d) That Edward knows Micky is up to no good.
13. What risk does Maisie take for Nora in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) She goes to April's with her.
(b) She speaks to Augusta on her behalf.
(c) She is going to re-introduce her to society.
(d) She keeps a secret from Solly for her.
14. What is Maisie and Dan's conversation about with the guests at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Social issues.
(b) Pilaster bank.
(c) The lavish food.
15. Why is Augusta in a wheelchair in the Epilogue?
(a) She fell down her stairs trying to get her trunk out of the house.
(b) She hurt her back throwing Micky overboard.
(c) Micky beat her.
(d) She fell trying to jump onto the ship as it moved out of the pier.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Hugh have?
2. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
3. What does Emily want to discuss with Maisie after one of her afternoon teas in Part 2, Chapter 3?
4. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. Where does Emily spend all of her time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)