|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mulberry do when Hugh tells him to close the bank's doors?
(a) He cries.
(b) He refuses to close the doors.
(c) He closes the doors.
(d) He curses.
2. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) The government wants the hospital to close.
(b) The hospital's money is gone.
(c) Micky has been killed.
(d) Dan has been killed.
3. How does Micky respond to what Emily does to trick Edward?
(a) He calls for April to come fetch Emily.
(b) He laughs heartily.
(c) He leaves the room.
(d) He yells obscenities.
4. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
5. How does Edward get Solly to agree to give money to the Santamaria Railroad?
(a) Edward has to give up his partnership.
(b) Edward has to be nicer to Hugh.
(c) Edward has to take a share in a scheme of Solly's.
(d) Edward has to make a personal guarantee.
6. What is the last place that Hugh visits?
(a) Peter's grave.
(b) His house in Kensington.
(c) The bank.
(d) The pond at Windfield.
7. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) In a warehouse.
(b) At the docks.
(c) In a public hospital.
(d) In a rundown hotel.
8. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Get dressed.
(d) Entertain their friends.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Edward do to Emily when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) He wraps her up and sends her home.
(b) He apologizes to her.
(c) He spits on her.
(d) He punches her in the face.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
(a) He is angry that Hugh is not a partner.
(b) He wants to make another deal.
(c) He is angry that business is not going well.
(d) He is happy about the business.
11. In the last decade, by Part 3, Chapter 2, how many bonds has Pilaster Bank given Cordova?
(a) Five total.
(b) Two a year.
(c) One a year.
(d) One total.
12. What has become of Maisie and Hugh in the Epilogue?
(a) They go their separate ways.
(b) They remain friends.
(c) They raise the children together but don't marry.
(d) They marry after Nora leaves.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Micky find in Tonio's room?
(a) A note from Hugh.
(b) A key.
(d) The witness statements.
14. What risk does Maisie take for Nora in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) She goes to April's with her.
(b) She speaks to Augusta on her behalf.
(c) She keeps a secret from Solly for her.
(d) She is going to re-introduce her to society.
15. To whom does Maisie take Emily to find answers to her questions that she poses at the afternoon tea?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is never discovered about Micky in the end of the book?
2. What do the partners want from Edward after the money crisis is discovered?
3. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
4. What does Emily want to discuss with Maisie after one of her afternoon teas in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)