|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
(a) With love and affection.
(b) Well, but not warmly.
(c) With irritability.
(d) She ignores them.
2. Why does Emily move back in to Whitehaven?
(a) To get her annulment.
(b) To annoy Augusta.
(c) She misses Edward.
(d) So she can get pregnant.
3. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) A small house nine miles from London.
(b) To an apartment in London.
(c) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
(d) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
4. What does Augusta ask Fortescue to do to help get Joseph the peerage?
(a) Advise Hobbes to do as Augusta asks.
(b) Remind the prime minister that Joseph is a safe alternative.
(c) Advise Lady Morte to do as Augusta asks.
(d) Remind the prime minister that Ben is Jewish.
5. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Emily was involved with another man,.
(b) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(c) That Micky loves Edward.
(d) That Micky is a murderer.
6. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) In a public hospital.
(b) At the docks.
(c) In a rundown hotel.
(d) In a warehouse.
7. Why does Micky follow Solly from the club after he argues with Edward?
(a) He wants to rat out Edward.
(b) He wants to explain that poor people will suffer if he pulls the loan.
(c) He wants to frighten him into giving him the loan.
(d) He plans on killing him.
8. What has become of Maisie and Hugh in the Epilogue?
(a) They remain friends.
(b) They go their separate ways.
(c) They marry after Nora leaves.
(d) They raise the children together but don't marry.
9. What is happening at Nellie's that is a gimmick that April put into practice?
(a) Blind Man's Buff.
(b) A masquerade.
(c) Women's choice.
(d) Gambling and girls.
10. In what month does Dorothy marry and the bank collapses?
11. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A sapphire brooch.
(c) A pendant of rubies and sapphires.
(d) Ruby earings.
12. To whom does Maisie take Emily to find answers to her questions that she poses at the afternoon tea?
13. What conclusion does Micky come to in Part 2, Chapter 5 about women?
(a) They are all idiots.
(b) They should be educated.
(c) They should be caged.
(d) Englishmen are afraid of them.
14. Why doesn't Ben continue his relationship with his daughter-in-law, Maisie?
(a) She was a commoner and the child was not Solly's.
(b) She is not Jewish.
(c) Ben does not trust that she will handle money well.
(d) She is mean to Ben.
15. Who does Hugh believe is behind the fraud at the bank in Part 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
2. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. What does Hugh think about telling Ben in Part 3, Chapter 3?
4. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
5. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)