|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What becomes of the argument between Micky and Rachel after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Micky promises to be better but leaves.
(b) Micky locks her in a room.
(c) They kiss and make up.
(d) Rachel leaves Micky.
2. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
(a) They don't want Hugh as Senior Partner.
(b) She has blackmailed them.
(c) She had begged them to.
(d) It is the right decision.
3. Why is Solly so angry with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Solly knows that the railroad investment is no good.
(b) Solly knows how he has fought against Hugh.
(c) Solly discovered what he did to Emily.
(d) Solly knows that he and Augusta were behind the articles about Ben.
4. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) In a public hospital.
(b) In a rundown hotel.
(c) At the docks.
(d) In a warehouse.
5. Who does not take Augusta's side against Hugh in Part 3?
6. What has become of Maisie and Hugh in the Epilogue?
(a) They remain friends.
(b) They raise the children together but don't marry.
(c) They go their separate ways.
(d) They marry after Nora leaves.
7. What do the partners want from Edward after the money crisis is discovered?
(a) A written apology.
(b) His dignity.
(d) His resignation.
8. What does Maisie say only a few moments after Hugh arrives to give his condolences in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Will you lend me money?
(b) Who do you think murdered Solly?
(c) If you hadn't married Nora, you could have married me.
(d) Bertie is your son.
9. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
(a) Micky will be gone from his life forever.
(b) Edward will be completely ruined.
(c) Augusta will be gone from his life forever.
(d) The Cordovan government may repay the loans.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Edward do to Emily when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) He spits on her.
(b) He punches her in the face.
(c) He apologizes to her.
(d) He wraps her up and sends her home.
11. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A sapphire brooch.
(c) A pendant of rubies and sapphires.
(d) Ruby earings.
12. Why does Ben Greenbourne go to Windfield in the Epilogue?
(a) He wants to cause trouble for Maisie and Hugh.
(b) He wants to find out if Bertie is Hugh's son.
(c) He wants to watch Bertie's water polo game.
(d) He wants Bertie to be his grandson again.
13. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
(b) A small house nine miles from London.
(c) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
(d) To an apartment in London.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
(a) He is angry that business is not going well.
(b) He wants to make another deal.
(c) He is angry that Hugh is not a partner.
(d) He is happy about the business.
15. Why is Augusta in a wheelchair in the Epilogue?
(a) She fell down her stairs trying to get her trunk out of the house.
(b) She hurt her back throwing Micky overboard.
(c) Micky beat her.
(d) She fell trying to jump onto the ship as it moved out of the pier.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
2. What is never discovered about Micky in the end of the book?
3. What has Hugh been unsuccessful at stopping in Part 2 , Chapter 5?
4. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
5. What conclusion does Micky come to in Part 2, Chapter 5 about women?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)