|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes ask Augusta to get him a loan for from the bank?
(a) To merge with another newspaper.
(b) A new office.
(c) A new printing press.
(d) To hire more writers.
2. Why is Micky worried at the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Edward is avoiding him.
(b) He had to tell his father there would be no money.
(c) Augusta won't speak to him.
(d) The police know about the drowning.
3. How has Micky gotten rich by Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) He has worked hard.
(b) He has taken a commission on every bond.
(c) He has swindled people out of their money.
(d) He has stolen money from the ministry.
4. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
5. In the last decade, by Part 3, Chapter 2, how many bonds has Pilaster Bank given Cordova?
(a) Two a year.
(b) One total.
(c) One a year.
(d) Five total.
6. What does Maisie say only a few moments after Hugh arrives to give his condolences in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Will you lend me money?
(b) If you hadn't married Nora, you could have married me.
(c) Bertie is your son.
(d) Who do you think murdered Solly?
7. How does Edward get Solly to agree to give money to the Santamaria Railroad?
(a) Edward has to take a share in a scheme of Solly's.
(b) Edward has to be nicer to Hugh.
(c) Edward has to give up his partnership.
(d) Edward has to make a personal guarantee.
8. Where does Bertie go to school?
(c) Kensingon Methodist.
9. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Edward do to Emily when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) He spits on her.
(b) He apologizes to her.
(c) He punches her in the face.
(d) He wraps her up and sends her home.
10. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To take his job back.
(b) To warn Hugh of Micky's murderous family.
(c) To kill Micky.
(d) To sway the Prime Minister to back President Garcia.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what news does Emily bring to Maisie?
(a) Emiily has fallen in love with a poet.
(b) Emily is going to have a baby.
(c) Emily will divorced Edward.
(d) Emily and Edward have reuinited.
12. How old is Hugh in Part 3 of the novel?
13. What does Emily do to Augusta when Augusta tries to take the papers from her in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) Emily pushes her down.
(b) Emily ignores her and walks right passed her.
(c) Emily curses at her.
(d) Emily slaps her.
14. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To an apartment in London.
(b) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
(c) A small house nine miles from London.
(d) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
15. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
(a) He goes to Tonio for help.
(b) He tries to get the Cordovan government to pay the loans.
(c) He writes an article for the newspaper.
(d) He goes to Ben for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Dorothy marry and the bank collapses?
2. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
3. What does Edward tell Micky about Whitehaven?
4. What does Hugh tell the family that they must do after the bank folds?
5. What does Hugh give Dotty for her dowry?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)