|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
(a) That Augusta and Micky have had a long time affair.
(b) That Micky is a murderer.
(c) That Emily was involved with another man,.
(d) That Micky loves Edward.
2. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
(a) It is worth the risk.
(b) They will sell the bonds first and then give Micky the money they have made.
(c) They will loan him half of what he asked for.
(d) They will ask for a higher commission.
3. Why is Solly so angry with Edward in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Solly discovered what he did to Emily.
(b) Solly knows that the railroad investment is no good.
(c) Solly knows that he and Augusta were behind the articles about Ben.
(d) Solly knows how he has fought against Hugh.
4. Where do Hugh and Nora move to in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) A small house nine miles from London.
(b) To an apartment in London.
(c) To Folkstone where his mother lives.
(d) To Edward's house where they all reside together.
5. Who is the unhappy guest at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
6. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
(a) The Cordovan revolution.
(b) World recession.
(c) Investment in small businesses.
(d) Edward's bad management of the money.
7. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
(a) He goes to Ben for help.
(b) He tries to get the Cordovan government to pay the loans.
(c) He writes an article for the newspaper.
(d) He goes to Tonio for help.
8. What do Rachel and Micky argue about after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Having children that Micky did not want.
(b) Micky going out at nights to the brothel.
(c) Micky's being rough with Rachel.
(d) Micky's friendship with Edward.
9. To whom does Maisie take Emily to find answers to her questions that she poses at the afternoon tea?
10. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
(a) Edward will not go with Micky.
(b) Edward loves Micky.
(c) Edward loathes Micky.
(d) Edward has syphilis.
11. Where does Emily spend all of her time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) With Rachel.
(b) In a country house.
(c) In an apartment in the city.
(d) At her parent's house.
12. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(c) Entertain their friends.
(d) Get dressed.
13. Who does not take Augusta's side against Hugh in Part 3?
14. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To sway the Prime Minister to back President Garcia.
(b) To take his job back.
(c) To kill Micky.
(d) To warn Hugh of Micky's murderous family.
15. What does Hugh think about telling Ben in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) That Solly never loved his father.
(b) That Micky killed Solly.
(c) That Ben is a mean old man.
(d) That Bertie is Hugh's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben Greenbourne go to Windfield in the Epilogue?
2. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. What becomes of the argument between Micky and Rachel after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
4. What does Edward tell Micky about Whitehaven?
5. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)