|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maisie find out from Count Tokoly?
(a) That Augusta told the Count that Nora was susceptible.
(b) That Nora made a pass at the Count.
(c) That Augusta asked the Count to make a scene with Nora.
(d) That Micky had a hand in the situation at the costume ball.
2. To whom does Maisie take Emily to find answers to her questions that she poses at the afternoon tea?
3. Why do Hugh and Samuel decide to resign from the bank?
(a) Because Edward is named Senior Partner.
(b) Because the bank is backing Cordova.
(c) They want to open a bank of their own.
(d) They want to work with the Greenbournes.
4. What does Hugh finally do with Maisie when he goes to the hospital to see Rachel?
(a) He says he is leaving Nora.
(b) He tells her that he loves her.
(c) He cries.
(d) He kisses her.
5. What does Augusta ask Lady Morte to do to help Joseph get the peerage?
(a) To tell Lord Morte to gather his friends to vote for Joseph.
(b) To tell Lord Morte not to vote for Ben.
(c) To tell Her Majesty that Ben is a sinner.
(d) To tell Her Majesty that Ben is a practicing Jew.
6. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) That Edward is in love with him.
(b) That he knows about the drowning.
(c) That Edward will be asked to leave the bank.
(d) That Edward knows Micky is up to no good.
7. What is the last place that Hugh visits?
(a) The pond at Windfield.
(b) The bank.
(c) Peter's grave.
(d) His house in Kensington.
8. How many children does Hugh have?
9. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
(a) Lima, Peru.
(d) The south of France.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what simile does Follett use to speak of how Augusta feels about Joseph's new title?
(a) She "was as pleased as punch."
(b) She "was as happy as a lark."
(c) She "was like a child on her birthday."
(d) She "was like a hen that had laid an egg."
11. What risk does Maisie take for Nora in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) She is going to re-introduce her to society.
(b) She keeps a secret from Solly for her.
(c) She speaks to Augusta on her behalf.
(d) She goes to April's with her.
12. In Part 3, how does Nora treat her children?
(a) With love and affection.
(b) With irritability.
(c) Well, but not warmly.
(d) She ignores them.
13. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(b) Get dressed.
(d) Entertain their friends.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 3, why does Sidney Madler come to London to see Joseph?
(a) He is angry that Hugh is not a partner.
(b) He is happy about the business.
(c) He is angry that business is not going well.
(d) He wants to make another deal.
15. How does Emily respond to Edward in Part 2, Chapter 4 when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) She tells Edward it is his fault.
(b) She begs him to not give up on them.
(c) She punches him.
(d) She kicks Micky in the groin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rachel and Micky argue about after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
2. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
3. How does Edward get Solly to agree to give money to the Santamaria Railroad?
4. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. What has become of Maisie and Hugh in the Epilogue?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)