|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Hugh in Part 3 of the novel?
2. What gift does Hugh give to Nora after Maisie's party?
(a) A sapphire brooch.
(b) A pendant of rubies and sapphires.
(c) Ruby earings.
(d) A diamond ring.
3. What does the Prince of Wales tell Maisie that he will do for her?
(a) Speak with Augusta.
(b) Forgive Augusta.
(c) Ignore Augusta.
(d) Tell Augusta to stay away from Nora.
4. What happens to Tonio at the train station in Part 3, Chapter 4?
(a) He joins Micky and attempts to kill Hugh.
(b) Micky pushes him in front of the train.
(c) Micky shoots him.
(d) He slips and falls in front of the train.
5. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) A struggle over losing Bertie.
(b) His granddaughter is missing.
(c) Health issues.
(d) Financial problems.
6. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
(a) The south of France.
(c) Lima, Peru.
7. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
8. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
(a) They will ask for a higher commission.
(b) They will sell the bonds first and then give Micky the money they have made.
(c) They will loan him half of what he asked for.
(d) It is worth the risk.
9. Where does Hugh find Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) In a public hospital.
(b) At the docks.
(c) In a rundown hotel.
(d) In a warehouse.
10. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
(a) They don't want Hugh as Senior Partner.
(b) She had begged them to.
(c) It is the right decision.
(d) She has blackmailed them.
11. Where is Maisie working in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) At the Pilaster Bank.
(b) At Windfield school.
(c) At Nellie's, with April.
(d) At Rachel's hospital.
12. What does Hugh tell the family that they must do after the bank folds?
(a) Take all of their personal belongings and hide them.
(b) Come to the bank to get what cash they can.
(c) Dismiss their servants; sell their houses.
(d) Sell what they can and keep the money.
13. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
(a) He writes an article for the newspaper.
(b) He goes to Tonio for help.
(c) He goes to Ben for help.
(d) He tries to get the Cordovan government to pay the loans.
14. Who does Hugh believe is behind the fraud at the bank in Part 3?
15. What does Augusta ask Hobbes to do to help her get Joseph the peerage?
(a) To write a slanderous piece against Jews.
(b) To write a glowing piece for Joseph.
(c) To write a slanderous piece against Ben.
(d) To write that a Chistian banker is needed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben Greenbourne go to Windfield in the Epilogue?
2. What does Emily do to Augusta when Augusta tries to take the papers from her in Part 3, Chapter 2?
3. How does Micky persuade Edward to secretly give him the loan in Part 3?
4. What hope does Hugh have if the Silva's faction wins the revolution?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)