|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh tell the family that they must do after the bank folds?
(a) Dismiss their servants; sell their houses.
(b) Sell what they can and keep the money.
(c) Come to the bank to get what cash they can.
(d) Take all of their personal belongings and hide them.
2. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
(a) She wants to leave him.
(b) She knows Bertie is his.
(c) She threatens Maisie if Hugh should leave her.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. What does Hugh give Dotty for her dowry?
(a) A house.
(b) A farm.
(c) A dukedon.
(d) 100,000 pounds.
4. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) Health issues.
(b) A struggle over losing Bertie.
(c) His granddaughter is missing.
(d) Financial problems.
5. Where does Emily spend all of her time in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) In a country house.
(b) In an apartment in the city.
(c) With Rachel.
(d) At her parent's house.
6. What does Micky do to Solly that causes Solly's death?
(a) Micky pushes Solly in front of a carriage.
(b) Micky stabs Solly.
(c) Micky hits Solly with a rock and then pushes hiim into the river.
(d) Micky hires thugs to kill Solly.
7. Why can't Maisie walk the half mile to the dinner party in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Solly will not allow her.
(b) Women of her situation don't walk.
(c) Her gown is too elaborate.
(d) Her ankle is swollen.
8. What does Emily want to discuss with Maisie after one of her afternoon teas in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) Edward's visits to Nellie's
(b) Edward's relationship with Micky.
(c) Personal problems with Edward.
(d) Augusta's attitude toward her marriage to Edward.
9. Who does Hugh believe is behind the fraud at the bank in Part 3?
10. Who is the unhappy guest at the wedding in Part 3, Chapter 3?
11. Who does not take Augusta's side against Hugh in Part 3?
12. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) That Edward knows Micky is up to no good.
(b) That Edward is in love with him.
(c) That Edward will be asked to leave the bank.
(d) That he knows about the drowning.
13. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
(a) Hugh Pilaster.
(b) M.R. Andrews.
(c) Edward Pilaster.
(d) Tonio Silva.
14. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) To kill Micky.
(b) To take his job back.
(c) To warn Hugh of Micky's murderous family.
(d) To sway the Prime Minister to back President Garcia.
15. Why is Augusta in a wheelchair in the Epilogue?
(a) She fell down her stairs trying to get her trunk out of the house.
(b) She fell trying to jump onto the ship as it moved out of the pier.
(c) She hurt her back throwing Micky overboard.
(d) Micky beat her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
2. In Part 3, what does Hugh tell Edward that changes everything for Edward?
3. What do Rachel and Micky argue about after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
4. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
5. What happens to Tonio at the train station in Part 3, Chapter 4?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)