|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 4, under what name does Micky intend to travel?
(a) Tonio Silva.
(b) Hugh Pilaster.
(c) Edward Pilaster.
(d) M.R. Andrews.
2. What personal matter is Ben dealing with in Part 3, Chapter 3, after the close of the bank?
(a) His granddaughter is missing.
(b) Financial problems.
(c) A struggle over losing Bertie.
(d) Health issues.
3. What bad news does Hugh bring to Rachel in Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Dan has been killed.
(b) The hospital's money is gone.
(c) Micky has been killed.
(d) The government wants the hospital to close.
4. Where is Maisie working in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) At Rachel's hospital.
(b) At the Pilaster Bank.
(c) At Nellie's, with April.
(d) At Windfield school.
5. What does Hugh finally do with Maisie when he goes to the hospital to see Rachel?
(a) He says he is leaving Nora.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He tells her that he loves her.
(d) He cries.
6. What does Hugh learn in his conversation with Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Bertie is his son.
(b) Solly did not know Maisie was poor.
(c) Solly did not know Bertie was not his.
(d) Ben believes Solly was murdered.
7. What has become of Maisie and Hugh in the Epilogue?
(a) They remain friends.
(b) They marry after Nora leaves.
(c) They go their separate ways.
(d) They raise the children together but don't marry.
8. What does Hobbes ask Augusta to get him a loan for from the bank?
(a) To merge with another newspaper.
(b) A new office.
(c) A new printing press.
(d) To hire more writers.
9. What does Maisie say only a few moments after Hugh arrives to give his condolences in Part 2, Chapter 5?
(a) Who do you think murdered Solly?
(b) If you hadn't married Nora, you could have married me.
(c) Will you lend me money?
(d) Bertie is your son.
10. What do Rachel and Micky argue about after the small dinner party Rachel had given for the Foreign Ministry?
(a) Micky's being rough with Rachel.
(b) Micky going out at nights to the brothel.
(c) Having children that Micky did not want.
(d) Micky's friendship with Edward.
11. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
(a) World recession.
(b) Edward's bad management of the money.
(c) Investment in small businesses.
(d) The Cordovan revolution.
12. What does Hugh do to try to save Pilaster's reputation?
(a) He tries to get the Cordovan government to pay the loans.
(b) He writes an article for the newspaper.
(c) He goes to Tonio for help.
(d) He goes to Ben for help.
13. Who does Hugh believe is behind the fraud at the bank in Part 3?
14. What does Maisie ask of Hugh after they return from Bertie's school in Part 3, Chapter 1?
(a) To loan her money.
(b) To come home with her.
(c) To avenge Solly's death.
(d) To stay at the bank.
15. What does Hugh finally learn from Tonio in Part 2, Chapter 4?
(a) Micky was instrumental in Tonio losing his job.
(b) Micky drowned Peter on purpose.
(c) Micky made sure Hugh was sent to Boston.
(d) Edward drowned Peter on purpose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Prince of Wales tell Maisie that he will do for her?
2. What is never discovered about Micky in the end of the book?
3. What conclusion does Micky come to in Part 2, Chapter 5 about women?
4. What has Hugh been unsuccessful at stopping in Part 2 , Chapter 5?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what does Micky find in Tonio's room?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)