|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hobbes ask Augusta to get him a loan for from the bank?
(a) To hire more writers.
(b) A new office.
(c) To merge with another newspaper.
(d) A new printing press.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 4, what does Edward do to Emily when he finds out that she has tricked him?
(a) He apologizes to her.
(b) He spits on her.
(c) He wraps her up and sends her home.
(d) He punches her in the face.
3. What news does Nora give Hugh in Part 2, Chapter 5 that stops Hugh from making a major decision about his future?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She knows Bertie is his.
(c) She threatens Maisie if Hugh should leave her.
(d) She wants to leave him.
4. In the last decade, by Part 3, Chapter 2, how many bonds has Pilaster Bank given Cordova?
(a) Two a year.
(b) One a year.
(c) One total.
(d) Five total.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 1, what news does Emily bring to Maisie?
(a) Emily is going to have a baby.
(b) Emily and Edward have reuinited.
(c) Emily will divorced Edward.
(d) Emiily has fallen in love with a poet.
6. How does Micky respond to what Emily does to trick Edward?
(a) He yells obscenities.
(b) He leaves the room.
(c) He laughs heartily.
(d) He calls for April to come fetch Emily.
7. What compromise do the partners come to regarding Micky's loan?
(a) They will ask for a higher commission.
(b) It is worth the risk.
(c) They will loan him half of what he asked for.
(d) They will sell the bonds first and then give Micky the money they have made.
8. What does Augusta ask Hobbes to do to help her get Joseph the peerage?
(a) To write a slanderous piece against Ben.
(b) To write that a Chistian banker is needed.
(c) To write a slanderous piece against Jews.
(d) To write a glowing piece for Joseph.
9. What news does Edward give Micky when MIcky tells him that he is leaving the country?
(a) Edward will not go with Micky.
(b) Edward loathes Micky.
(c) Edward loves Micky.
(d) Edward has syphilis.
10. Where do Edward and Augusta spend the rest of Edward's life?
(b) Lima, Peru.
(d) The south of France.
11. What does Hugh tell Micky about Edward in Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) That Edward is in love with him.
(b) That he knows about the drowning.
(c) That Edward knows Micky is up to no good.
(d) That Edward will be asked to leave the bank.
12. How has Micky gotten rich by Part 3, Chapter 2?
(a) He has taken a commission on every bond.
(b) He has worked hard.
(c) He has swindled people out of their money.
(d) He has stolen money from the ministry.
13. What is the catalyst that brings down the bank?
(a) The Cordovan revolution.
(b) Investment in small businesses.
(c) Edward's bad management of the money.
(d) World recession.
14. Whose funeral is being attended in Part 3, Chapter 1?
15. What does Solly love to watch Maisie do, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(b) Entertain their friends.
(d) Get dressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening at Nellie's that is a gimmick that April put into practice?
2. Why is Augusta in a wheelchair in the Epilogue?
3. What does Hugh learn in his conversation with Ben in Part 2, Chapter 5?
4. Why do the partners back Augusta's desire to have Edward as Senior Partner in Part 3?
5. Why does Tonio come back to London in Part 2, Chapter 4?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)