|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) Seth's health.
(c) Joseph's new appointment at the bank.
(d) The financial crisis.
2. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She hates her father.
(b) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(c) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(d) She is hungry.
3. Why does Joseph become angry with Augusta when she insists that he go to the park and NOT the bank on the holiday?
(a) He wants to go to the bank with Hugh.
(b) He wants Augusta to go to the bank with him.
(c) He does not want to be told what to do.
(d) He hates the park.
4. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
(a) Blackmail the Mirandas.
(b) Run an editorial explaining the condition in the mines.
(c) Personally convince the bank not to lend them money.
(d) Purchase guns to start a war against them.
5. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
(a) Hugh's mother is there to see him.
(b) Hugh will be whipped for going swimming.
(c) He needs to be told about Peter.
(d) They want to question him about Micky.
6. Why does Hugh marry Nora?
(a) He wanted to spend the rest of his life holding her hand.
(b) To forget Maisie.
(c) Because he loves her.
(d) To make his family angry.
7. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
(a) She owns the bar.
(b) She is royalty.
(c) They owe her money.
(d) To many, she is as important as the Queen.
8. What is the relationship between Hugh and Edward?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are cousins.
9. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(b) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(c) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
(d) He blackmails Tonio.
10. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Because he is with Maisie who is poor.
(b) He does not want Maisie to feel badly by taking a carriage.
(c) He has no money.
(d) He wants to experience the other side.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
(a) She will clean horse stables.
(b) She will be a chamber maid.
(c) She will ride horses in the park for entertainment.
(d) She will sell horses in the park and be paid for showing them.
12. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
(a) Florence Stalworthy.
(b) April Tilsley.
(c) Maisie Robinson.
(d) Rachel Bodwin.
13. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) A bank.
(b) An angel.
(c) A diamond shaped gable.
(d) A stone ship.
14. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
(a) Augusta gets the Count to say something offensive to her so that she will overreact.
(b) Augusta makes Nora slip and fall on the dance floor.
(c) Augusta lets Nora overhear a conversation about Hugh and Maisie.
(d) Augusta has Nora say the wrong thing to Joseph.
15. How does Augusta manage to get Maisie to stay away from Hugh?
(a) Augusta tells Maisie that Hugh loves another woman.
(b) Maisie knows Augusta will ruin Hugh by using her.
(c) Augusta threatens her.
(d) Augusta pays her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a school is Windfield?
2. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
4. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. What system does Hugh come up with at the bank to organize papers?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)