|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
(a) Hugh laughed at the whole event.
(b) Hugh hated that April seemed to like it.
(c) Hugh found the rats disgusting.
(d) He thinks animals do what they have to, but humans are disgusting.
2. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(b) He blackmails Tonio.
(c) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(d) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
3. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) An angel.
(b) A stone ship.
(c) A bank.
(d) A diamond shaped gable.
4. Why is Papa so angry with Micky in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Micky calls Papa a barbarian.
(b) He still has not gotten Papa his loan.
(c) Micky does not want Papa to wage war in Cordova.
(d) Micky does not want to back to Cordova.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
(a) She will clean horse stables.
(b) She will ride horses in the park for entertainment.
(c) She will be a chamber maid.
(d) She will sell horses in the park and be paid for showing them.
6. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) At a club in London.
(b) At Augusta's home.
(c) At the Greenbourne house.
(d) At Nellie's.
7. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
(a) She believes Nora is using Hugh.
(b) She thinks Nora is madly in love with Hugh.
(c) She believes the two will do well together.
(d) She thinks Nora is too low class for Hugh.
8. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
(a) Rachel Bodwin.
(b) April Tilsley.
(c) Florence Stalworthy.
(d) Maisie Robinson.
9. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
(a) She has Joseph get her tickets.
(b) She has Micky get her tickets.
(c) She gets Lady Morte to get her tickets.
(d) She has Maisie get her tickets.
10. How does Augusta manage to get Maisie to stay away from Hugh?
(a) Augusta pays her.
(b) Augusta tells Maisie that Hugh loves another woman.
(c) Augusta threatens her.
(d) Maisie knows Augusta will ruin Hugh by using her.
11. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Send her away.
(b) Get her pregnant.
(c) Get rid of her.
(d) Have Maisie teach her the ways of society.
12. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Five years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Six years.
13. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
(a) Hugh's mother is there to see him.
(b) They want to question him about Micky.
(c) He needs to be told about Peter.
(d) Hugh will be whipped for going swimming.
14. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
(a) Just the weathy.
(b) Just the poor.
(c) All types.
(d) Just the working class.
15. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
(a) To have him show her the way.
(b) So she would not have to walk alone.
(c) To invite him to her home for the summer.
(d) To make him tell her the truth about Peter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
3. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. Why does Joseph become angry with Augusta when she insists that he go to the park and NOT the bank on the holiday?
5. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)