|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
(b) A position of partner for Edward.
(c) Ownership of the bank.
(d) The titles of Lord and Countess.
2. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Seth has resigned from the bank.
(b) Seth's health has improved.
(c) Seth will give Micky his loan.
(d) Seth's health is failing.
3. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
(a) Augusta confronts them and Hugh stands up to her.
(b) A carriage almost runs them over and Hugh pushes Maisie out of its way.
(c) He protects her from ruffians.
(d) Someone tries to rob them.
4. Why are the boys in detention in the Prologue of the book?
(a) One of them was insubordinate.
(b) Someone stole money.
(c) They were boisterous in class.
(d) They swam in the watering hole.
5. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
(a) Easily swayed.
(b) Strong and beautiful.
(d) Weak, yet beautiful.
6. What system does Hugh come up with at the bank to organize papers?
(a) An input/output tray.
(c) Accounts receivable tray.
(d) A special paper tray.
7. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Letters from the court telling Hugh that there is an injuction.
(b) Letters of inquiry as to why he won't see her.
(c) Letters of inquiry as to why she won't see him.
(d) Letters from Florence concerning Rachel.
8. What does Danny come to tell Maisie in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) That her mother is ill again.
(b) That she should not keep company with Hugh.
(c) That a bank has ruined him again.
(d) That he needs her to give him money.
9. Solly's parents do NOT like Maisie for all of the following reasons except for which one?
(a) She can't have any more babies.
(b) She is a Russian Jew.
(c) She had another man's baby.
(d) She was poor.
10. What does Augusta lie to Lady Stalworthy about?
(a) She says Hugh's father was mentally ill.
(b) She says Hugh is a gambler.
(c) She says Hugh has had many women.
(d) She says Hugh wants Florence for her money.
11. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
(a) He fires Hugh for insubordination.
(b) He laughs about it and tells Hugh not to do it again.
(c) He is angry at Hugh's taking charge.
(d) He admires Hugh's precociousness.
12. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
(a) Hugh hated that April seemed to like it.
(b) He thinks animals do what they have to, but humans are disgusting.
(c) Hugh found the rats disgusting.
(d) Hugh laughed at the whole event.
13. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
(a) She is royalty.
(b) To many, she is as important as the Queen.
(c) They owe her money.
(d) She owns the bar.
14. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
15. What is ratting?
(a) Rats fighting against rats.
(b) Cock fighting.
(c) A dog fight against rats.
(d) Cocks fighting against rats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position is Hugh an assistant to in Part I, Chapter 3?
2. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
3. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
4. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)