|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What class of people generally go to the Argyll Room?
(a) Call girls and the men who want them.
(c) Clerks and small businessmen.
2. Why does Hugh marry Nora?
(a) Because he loves her.
(b) To forget Maisie.
(c) He wanted to spend the rest of his life holding her hand.
(d) To make his family angry.
3. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Trick Edward into marriage.
(b) Leave London.
(c) Force Edward to marry.
(d) Micky decides to marry.
4. Why does Augusta set Nora up at the ball?
(a) Augusta is jealous of her and Hugh's success.
(b) Since Nora is beneath them, Augusta does not want her to be part of the family.
(c) Augusta does not like Nora.
(d) She does not want Hugh to become a partner at the bank.
5. Why won't Pilaster bank loan Carlos Miranda money?
(a) He is Spanish.
(b) They don't know if he is legitimate or not.
(c) He wants to purchase arms with it.
(d) He does not live in England.
6. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A Jewish school.
(b) A boarding school.
(c) A public school.
(d) A Catholic school.
7. What does Solly ask Maisie at the races?
(a) Will she marry him?
(b) Will she be his mistress?
(c) Did she bet on her favorite horse?
(d) Does she like Hugh?
8. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
(a) He is fat.
(b) He is too nice to deceive.
(c) He is rich.
(d) She is not in love with him.
9. What is the relationship between Hugh and Edward?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) They are enemies.
10. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Two years.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(a) Her mother and father.
(c) Danny, her brother.
12. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To smoke.
(b) To drink.
(c) To play baccarat.
(d) To find girlfriends.
13. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He tells Hugh that he will not be a partner.
(b) He leaves the party immediately.
(c) He questions whether Augusta was behind it all.
(d) He laughs.
14. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Seth has resigned from the bank.
(b) Seth will give Micky his loan.
(c) Seth's health is failing.
(d) Seth's health has improved.
15. What does Micky do at the baccarat game that makes things go his way?
(a) He plays with Edward as they set up a scam.
(b) He plays with Tonio to help him lose.
(c) He deals, so he can stack the cards.
(d) He barely bets, so he can't lose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Micky cover up the murder?
2. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
3. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
4. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
5. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)