|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She hates her father.
(b) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(c) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(d) She is hungry.
2. Where does Micky now reside in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) Edward's house.
(c) At the university.
3. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
(b) Weak, yet beautiful.
(c) Easily swayed.
(d) Strong and beautiful.
4. What proposition does Hugh bring to the family bankers at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) To merge with a bank in New York.
(b) To invest in Cordova.
(c) To buy a railroad in America.
(d) To merge with a stockbroker house in New York.
5. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
(a) She stops him from taking a drink.
(b) She stops a pickpocket.
(c) She stops a man from hitting him.
(d) She prevents Augusta from finding him at the races.
6. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
7. Where does Hugh meet Nora?
(a) At the Greenbourne's house.
(b) At a club.
(c) She stumbles into him on the street.
(d) In a bakery.
8. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
(a) Rachel Bodwin.
(b) April Tilsley.
(c) Florence Stalworthy.
(d) Maisie Robinson.
9. How does Micky kill Seth?
(a) He frightens him into a heart attack.
(b) He suffocates him with his pillow.
(c) He stabs him.
(d) He poisons him.
10. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
(a) That Micky will become a general in Cordova.
(b) That Micky will run the ranch in Cordova.
(c) That Micky will become a soldier.
(d) That Micky will become President of Cordova.
11. Who helps Micky cover up the murder?
(a) The nurse.
12. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
(b) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(c) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(d) He blackmails Tonio.
13. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He offered Cammel a better loan.
(b) He offered Cammel stocks.
(c) He offered to cash Cammel's check.
(d) He offered Cammel the opportunity to buy Russian bonds.
14. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) He has left the country.
(b) He has married someone else.
(c) He has lost his job.
(d) He has died.
15. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
(a) He does not want the bank to be hurt.
(b) He is afraid of her.
(c) He does not care about the bank.
(d) He does not want his father to be hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
2. What does Tonio do at the ratting that intrigues Micky?
3. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
4. How does Augusta manage to get Maisie to stay away from Hugh?
5. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)