|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(b) Danny, her brother.
(c) Her mother and father.
2. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
(a) She wants Madeleine to help her keep Hugh down.
(b) Because they are good friends who share everything.
(c) She wants to show off her new Japanese style.
(d) She wants Madeleine to help her ruin Samuel.
3. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the Prologue?
4. Why does Augusta set Nora up at the ball?
(a) She does not want Hugh to become a partner at the bank.
(b) Augusta is jealous of her and Hugh's success.
(c) Since Nora is beneath them, Augusta does not want her to be part of the family.
(d) Augusta does not like Nora.
5. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
(a) That Micky will become a soldier.
(b) That Micky will become a general in Cordova.
(c) That Micky will become President of Cordova.
(d) That Micky will run the ranch in Cordova.
6. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
(c) A young man.
7. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He offered to cash Cammel's check.
(b) He offered Cammel a better loan.
(c) He offered Cammel stocks.
(d) He offered Cammel the opportunity to buy Russian bonds.
8. What position is Hugh an assistant to in Part I, Chapter 3?
(a) Senior Partner.
(b) Correspondence Clerk.
(c) Junior Partner.
(d) The Principal Clerk.
9. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward marries.
(b) Edward brings in new accounts.
(c) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
(d) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
10. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Because he is with Maisie who is poor.
(b) He wants to experience the other side.
(c) He does not want Maisie to feel badly by taking a carriage.
(d) He has no money.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
(a) She will be a chamber maid.
(b) She will ride horses in the park for entertainment.
(c) She will clean horse stables.
(d) She will sell horses in the park and be paid for showing them.
12. Why won't Pilaster bank loan Carlos Miranda money?
(a) He does not live in England.
(b) He is Spanish.
(c) They don't know if he is legitimate or not.
(d) He wants to purchase arms with it.
13. What does Micky do at the baccarat game that makes things go his way?
(a) He plays with Edward as they set up a scam.
(b) He barely bets, so he can't lose.
(c) He deals, so he can stack the cards.
(d) He plays with Tonio to help him lose.
14. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) To get Joseph voted Senior Partner.
(b) To show off her new house.
(c) To get a loan for Micky's father.
(d) To keep Hugh from bettering himself.
15. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Letters from Florence concerning Rachel.
(b) Letters of inquiry as to why he won't see her.
(c) Letters of inquiry as to why she won't see him.
(d) Letters from the court telling Hugh that there is an injuction.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 2, what is Hugh against the bank investing in?
2. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
3. What system does Hugh come up with at the bank to organize papers?
4. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
5. What class of people generally go to the Argyll Room?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)