Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(b) She hates her father.
(c) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(d) She is hungry.
2. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
(b) To the seaside to be with his mother.
(c) He stays in London at the bank.
(d) To Soho to be with Maisie.
3. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Six years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
4. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
(b) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(c) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(d) He blackmails Tonio.
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Leave London.
(b) Trick Edward into marriage.
(c) Force Edward to marry.
(d) Micky decides to marry.
6. What is ratting?
(a) Rats fighting against rats.
(b) Cock fighting.
(c) Cocks fighting against rats.
(d) A dog fight against rats.
7. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
(a) She stops him from taking a drink.
(b) She stops a man from hitting him.
(c) She stops a pickpocket.
(d) She prevents Augusta from finding him at the races.
8. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 2, what is Hugh against the bank investing in?
(a) A new building for the bank.
(b) The Cordovan Railroad.
(c) New infrastructure for London.
(d) Russian bonds.
10. What proposition does Hugh bring to the family bankers at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) To merge with a stockbroker house in New York.
(b) To merge with a bank in New York.
(c) To invest in Cordova.
(d) To buy a railroad in America.
11. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
(a) She has Micky get her tickets.
(b) She has Joseph get her tickets.
(c) She has Maisie get her tickets.
(d) She gets Lady Morte to get her tickets.
12. Why doesn't Maisie spend the entire day with Solly?
(a) She has plans to meet Hugh.
(b) She is not allowed to.
(c) She doesn't like horse racing.
(d) She is bored.
13. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
(a) He protects her from ruffians.
(b) A carriage almost runs them over and Hugh pushes Maisie out of its way.
(c) Someone tries to rob them.
(d) Augusta confronts them and Hugh stands up to her.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the Prologue?
15. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) President of Cordova.
(b) Partner at the Pilaster's Bank.
(c) Cordovan Minister.
(d) Diplomatic Attache.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augusta discuss with Lady Morte that offends the Lady?
2. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
3. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
4. Why won't Pilaster bank loan Carlos Miranda money?
5. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)