|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A boarding school.
(b) A public school.
(c) A Jewish school.
(d) A Catholic school.
2. Who helps Micky cover up the murder?
(d) The nurse.
3. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
(b) Edward marries.
(c) Edward brings in new accounts.
(d) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
4. Why won't Pilaster bank loan Carlos Miranda money?
(a) He wants to purchase arms with it.
(b) He is Spanish.
(c) He does not live in England.
(d) They don't know if he is legitimate or not.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
(a) Ownership of the bank.
(b) A position of partner for Edward.
(c) The titles of Lord and Countess.
6. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
(a) To show Augusta that she is not in control.
(b) To be alone with Rachel.
(c) To be alone with Florence.
(d) To make Edward mad.
7. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
(a) Augusta confronts them and Hugh stands up to her.
(b) He protects her from ruffians.
(c) A carriage almost runs them over and Hugh pushes Maisie out of its way.
(d) Someone tries to rob them.
8. Why is Papa so angry with Micky in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Micky does not want Papa to wage war in Cordova.
(b) Micky does not want to back to Cordova.
(c) He still has not gotten Papa his loan.
(d) Micky calls Papa a barbarian.
9. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
(a) To have him show her the way.
(b) So she would not have to walk alone.
(c) To make him tell her the truth about Peter.
(d) To invite him to her home for the summer.
10. Why are the boys in detention in the Prologue of the book?
(a) They swam in the watering hole.
(b) Someone stole money.
(c) One of them was insubordinate.
(d) They were boisterous in class.
11. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He tells Hugh that he will not be a partner.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He questions whether Augusta was behind it all.
(d) He leaves the party immediately.
12. What position is Hugh an assistant to in Part I, Chapter 3?
(a) Senior Partner.
(b) Correspondence Clerk.
(c) Junior Partner.
(d) The Principal Clerk.
13. What is the relationship between Hugh and Edward?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are enemies.
(d) They are brothers.
14. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
15. Solly's parents do NOT like Maisie for all of the following reasons except for which one?
(a) She is a Russian Jew.
(b) She had another man's baby.
(c) She was poor.
(d) She can't have any more babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hugh meet Nora?
2. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
3. What does Augusta discuss with Lady Morte that offends the Lady?
4. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
5. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)