|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) Seth's health.
(b) Joseph's new appointment at the bank.
(c) The financial crisis.
2. How does Augusta manage to get Maisie to stay away from Hugh?
(a) Augusta threatens her.
(b) Maisie knows Augusta will ruin Hugh by using her.
(c) Augusta tells Maisie that Hugh loves another woman.
(d) Augusta pays her.
3. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) At Augusta's home.
(b) At a club in London.
(c) At the Greenbourne house.
(d) At Nellie's.
4. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She does not love Hugh.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is not Jewish.
(d) She is ill.
5. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
(a) All types.
(b) Just the poor.
(c) Just the weathy.
(d) Just the working class.
6. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
(a) He is an attache to the Codorvan Minister in London.
(b) He is an ambassador.
(c) He is a gambler.
(d) He is a diplomat.
7. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(b) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(c) She is hungry.
(d) She hates her father.
8. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) He has left the country.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has lost his job.
(d) He has married someone else.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(c) Her mother and father.
(d) Danny, her brother.
10. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Two years.
11. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) They want to be alone in his room.
(b) They are running from the ruffians from the park.
(c) A rain storm comes and soaks them.
(d) Miasie wants to see the house.
12. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) A bank.
(b) An angel.
(c) A stone ship.
(d) A diamond shaped gable.
13. Why does Joseph become angry with Augusta when she insists that he go to the park and NOT the bank on the holiday?
(a) He wants Augusta to go to the bank with him.
(b) He wants to go to the bank with Hugh.
(c) He does not want to be told what to do.
(d) He hates the park.
14. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
(a) She prevents Augusta from finding him at the races.
(b) She stops a pickpocket.
(c) She stops a man from hitting him.
(d) She stops him from taking a drink.
15. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
(a) Strong and beautiful.
(b) Easily swayed.
(c) Weak, yet beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
2. What does Maisie eat with Bertie in the nursery?
3. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
4. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
5. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)