|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
(c) A young man.
2. What does Micky do at the baccarat game that makes things go his way?
(a) He barely bets, so he can't lose.
(b) He plays with Tonio to help him lose.
(c) He plays with Edward as they set up a scam.
(d) He deals, so he can stack the cards.
3. What does Joseph Pilaster collect?
(a) Ivory pipes.
(b) Jeweled rings.
(c) Jeweled snuff boxes.
(d) Peacock feathers.
4. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
(a) Augusta gets the Count to say something offensive to her so that she will overreact.
(b) Augusta has Nora say the wrong thing to Joseph.
(c) Augusta makes Nora slip and fall on the dance floor.
(d) Augusta lets Nora overhear a conversation about Hugh and Maisie.
5. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
(b) Weak, yet beautiful.
(c) Easily swayed.
(d) Strong and beautiful.
6. What position is Hugh an assistant to in Part I, Chapter 3?
(a) Senior Partner.
(b) Correspondence Clerk.
(c) The Principal Clerk.
(d) Junior Partner.
7. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
(a) He gives him a cigar.
(b) He gives Tonio a winning hand.
(c) He offers him his own money to borrow.
(d) He has a woman come into the room.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(b) Danny, her brother.
(d) Her mother and father.
9. What class of people generally go to the Argyll Room?
(a) Clerks and small businessmen.
(b) Call girls and the men who want them.
10. What does Solly ask Maisie at the races?
(a) Does she like Hugh?
(b) Did she bet on her favorite horse?
(c) Will she marry him?
(d) Will she be his mistress?
11. What system does Hugh come up with at the bank to organize papers?
(a) A special paper tray.
(c) Accounts receivable tray.
(d) An input/output tray.
12. What does Augusta lie to Lady Stalworthy about?
(a) She says Hugh is a gambler.
(b) She says Hugh's father was mentally ill.
(c) She says Hugh has had many women.
(d) She says Hugh wants Florence for her money.
13. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
(b) Edward marries.
(c) Edward brings in new accounts.
(d) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
14. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six years.
15. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
(a) He could not find his clothes.
(b) Peter drowned.
(c) Edward beat him up.
(d) Micky tried to drown him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
2. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
3. What kind of a school is Windfield?
4. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
5. Where does Hugh meet Nora?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)