|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Papa so angry with Micky in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Micky does not want to back to Cordova.
(b) Micky does not want Papa to wage war in Cordova.
(c) Micky calls Papa a barbarian.
(d) He still has not gotten Papa his loan.
2. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
(b) Edward brings in new accounts.
(c) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
(d) Edward marries.
3. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
(a) Just the weathy.
(b) Just the working class.
(c) All types.
(d) Just the poor.
4. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
(a) To invite him to her home for the summer.
(b) To have him show her the way.
(c) To make him tell her the truth about Peter.
(d) So she would not have to walk alone.
5. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
(a) He is afraid of her.
(b) He does not care about the bank.
(c) He does not want the bank to be hurt.
(d) He does not want his father to be hurt.
6. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
(a) He is angry at Hugh's taking charge.
(b) He fires Hugh for insubordination.
(c) He laughs about it and tells Hugh not to do it again.
(d) He admires Hugh's precociousness.
7. What is the relationship between Hugh and Edward?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are brothers.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are cousins.
8. Why are the boys in detention in the Prologue of the book?
(a) Someone stole money.
(b) They swam in the watering hole.
(c) They were boisterous in class.
(d) One of them was insubordinate.
9. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
10. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
(a) She stops a man from hitting him.
(b) She stops a pickpocket.
(c) She stops him from taking a drink.
(d) She prevents Augusta from finding him at the races.
11. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She does not love Hugh.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is not Jewish.
12. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He offered Cammel a better loan.
(b) He offered to cash Cammel's check.
(c) He offered Cammel the opportunity to buy Russian bonds.
(d) He offered Cammel stocks.
13. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
(a) Run an editorial explaining the condition in the mines.
(b) Blackmail the Mirandas.
(c) Personally convince the bank not to lend them money.
(d) Purchase guns to start a war against them.
14. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They make them leave the hole.
(b) They take their clothes and run.
(c) They join them in a game.
(d) They throw their clothes in the water.
15. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
(a) To be alone with Florence.
(b) To make Edward mad.
(c) To be alone with Rachel.
(d) To show Augusta that she is not in control.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
2. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
3. What inappropriate action does Mickey take in the church with Augusta?
4. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)