|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hugh marry Nora?
(a) Because he loves her.
(b) He wanted to spend the rest of his life holding her hand.
(c) To forget Maisie.
(d) To make his family angry.
2. Why is Micky afraid of his father?
(a) He can force Micky to go back to Mexico.
(b) He is ignorant and angry.
(c) He has done heinous things to those who have gone against him.
(d) He has beaten Micky many times.
3. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) At Nellie's.
(b) At Augusta's home.
(c) At the Greenbourne house.
(d) At a club in London.
4. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
(a) New York.
5. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
(a) To be alone with Rachel.
(b) To be alone with Florence.
(c) To make Edward mad.
(d) To show Augusta that she is not in control.
6. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) Seth's health.
(b) The financial crisis.
(c) Joseph's new appointment at the bank.
7. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
(a) She is royalty.
(b) To many, she is as important as the Queen.
(c) She owns the bar.
(d) They owe her money.
8. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
(a) Florence Stalworthy.
(b) Maisie Robinson.
(c) April Tilsley.
(d) Rachel Bodwin.
9. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He leaves the party immediately.
(b) He questions whether Augusta was behind it all.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He tells Hugh that he will not be a partner.
10. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
(a) Peter drowned.
(b) Edward beat him up.
(c) Micky tried to drown him.
(d) He could not find his clothes.
11. What happens in the park that draws Maisie closer to Hugh?
(a) A carriage almost runs them over and Hugh pushes Maisie out of its way.
(b) He protects her from ruffians.
(c) Augusta confronts them and Hugh stands up to her.
(d) Someone tries to rob them.
12. Why does Hugh go with Micky and Edward to Nellie's?
(a) They laugh at him when he says he won't go.
(b) He is curious.
(c) He hopes to find a woman there.
(d) They make him go.
13. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He does not want Maisie to feel badly by taking a carriage.
(b) He has no money.
(c) Because he is with Maisie who is poor.
(d) He wants to experience the other side.
14. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
(a) That Edward drowned Peter.
(b) That Micky and Augusta have a deeper relationship.
(c) That Albert will testify against Edward.
(d) That Micky and Edward had been telling the truth about the drowning.
15. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
(a) She believes the two will do well together.
(b) She thinks Nora is madly in love with Hugh.
(c) She thinks Nora is too low class for Hugh.
(d) She believes Nora is using Hugh.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
2. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
3. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
4. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)