|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
(a) Just the weathy.
(b) Just the poor.
(c) All types.
(d) Just the working class.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(a) Her mother and father.
(b) Danny, her brother.
3. What system does Hugh come up with at the bank to organize papers?
(a) Accounts receivable tray.
(b) An input/output tray.
(d) A special paper tray.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
(a) A position of partner for Edward.
(b) Ownership of the bank.
(c) The titles of Lord and Countess.
5. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
(a) Augusta gets the Count to say something offensive to her so that she will overreact.
(b) Augusta lets Nora overhear a conversation about Hugh and Maisie.
(c) Augusta makes Nora slip and fall on the dance floor.
(d) Augusta has Nora say the wrong thing to Joseph.
6. Who shows up at the costume ball and questions Hugh?
(a) The men from the New York bank.
(b) Nora's parents.
(c) Maisie's brother, Danny.
(d) Peter Middleton's brother.
7. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Leave London.
(b) Micky decides to marry.
(c) Force Edward to marry.
(d) Trick Edward into marriage.
8. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
(b) To Soho to be with Maisie.
(c) To the seaside to be with his mother.
(d) He stays in London at the bank.
9. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
(a) Easily swayed.
(c) Strong and beautiful.
(d) Weak, yet beautiful.
10. What does Maisie eat with Bertie in the nursery?
(c) Porridge and honey.
(d) Ice cream.
11. What does Augusta discuss with Lady Morte that offends the Lady?
(a) Young men.
12. What does Tonio do at the ratting that intrigues Micky?
(a) He places a large bet.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He kisses April.
(d) He vomits.
13. How does Micky kill Seth?
(a) He frightens him into a heart attack.
(b) He suffocates him with his pillow.
(c) He stabs him.
(d) He poisons him.
14. What does Augusta reveal to Micky at the end of Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) That she knows he killed Peter.
(b) That she is afraid for Micky about the drowning.
(c) That she wants him.
(d) That a lawyer is looking into the drowning of Peter.
15. Why are the boys in detention in the Prologue of the book?
(a) One of them was insubordinate.
(b) They were boisterous in class.
(c) They swam in the watering hole.
(d) Someone stole money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
2. What inappropriate action does Mickey take in the church with Augusta?
3. What does Danny come to tell Maisie in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
5. What lie does Augusta tell Madeleine while riding in the park in Part 1, Chapter 3?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)