|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Micky afraid of his father?
(a) He has done heinous things to those who have gone against him.
(b) He has beaten Micky many times.
(c) He can force Micky to go back to Mexico.
(d) He is ignorant and angry.
2. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
(a) He needs to be told about Peter.
(b) They want to question him about Micky.
(c) Hugh will be whipped for going swimming.
(d) Hugh's mother is there to see him.
3. Why did Pilaster and Co. shut down?
(a) The bank collapsed.
(b) Toby Pilaster hanged himself.
(c) The workers went on strike.
(d) Nobody wanted the company's goods any longer.
4. What does Maisie eat with Bertie in the nursery?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) Porridge and honey.
5. Why does Hugh marry Nora?
(a) To make his family angry.
(b) To forget Maisie.
(c) Because he loves her.
(d) He wanted to spend the rest of his life holding her hand.
6. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(b) Danny, her brother.
(d) Her mother and father.
7. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
8. What does Hugh decide to do with his future after the Nora incident in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Go back to Boston.
(b) Go work for Greenbourne.
(c) Work harder to regain his family's acceptance.
(d) Take time off.
9. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
(d) She hates her father.
10. What does Augusta reveal to Micky at the end of Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) That she is afraid for Micky about the drowning.
(b) That she wants him.
(c) That she knows he killed Peter.
(d) That a lawyer is looking into the drowning of Peter.
11. Why doesn't Maisie spend the entire day with Solly?
(a) She has plans to meet Hugh.
(b) She doesn't like horse racing.
(c) She is not allowed to.
(d) She is bored.
12. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Force Edward to marry.
(b) Leave London.
(c) Trick Edward into marriage.
(d) Micky decides to marry.
13. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He tells Hugh that he will not be a partner.
(b) He leaves the party immediately.
(c) He questions whether Augusta was behind it all.
(d) He laughs.
14. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) A bank.
(b) An angel.
(c) A diamond shaped gable.
(d) A stone ship.
15. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Have Maisie teach her the ways of society.
(b) Get her pregnant.
(c) Send her away.
(d) Get rid of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
2. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
3. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
4. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)