|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Carlos want Micky to stay in London?
(a) To marry into the Pilaster family.
(b) To keep him away from his brother, Paulo.
(c) To get money from the banks for him.
(d) To sell nitrate for him.
2. What kind of a woman is Augusta Pilaster?
(a) Weak, yet beautiful.
(b) Easily swayed.
(d) Strong and beautiful.
3. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
(a) Personally convince the bank not to lend them money.
(b) Run an editorial explaining the condition in the mines.
(c) Purchase guns to start a war against them.
(d) Blackmail the Mirandas.
4. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A boarding school.
(b) A Jewish school.
(c) A Catholic school.
(d) A public school.
5. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
(a) That Micky will run the ranch in Cordova.
(b) That Micky will become a general in Cordova.
(c) That Micky will become President of Cordova.
(d) That Micky will become a soldier.
6. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They throw their clothes in the water.
(b) They join them in a game.
(c) They take their clothes and run.
(d) They make them leave the hole.
7. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Two years.
8. What does Maisie eat with Bertie in the nursery?
(b) Ice cream.
(d) Porridge and honey.
9. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
(a) He gives him a cigar.
(b) He offers him his own money to borrow.
(c) He gives Tonio a winning hand.
(d) He has a woman come into the room.
10. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
(a) That Micky and Augusta have a deeper relationship.
(b) That Edward drowned Peter.
(c) That Micky and Edward had been telling the truth about the drowning.
(d) That Albert will testify against Edward.
11. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Go to dinner and dancing with him.
(b) Go for a carriage ride with him.
(c) Take a walk in the park with him.
(d) Go see a show with him.
12. What position is Hugh an assistant to in Part I, Chapter 3?
(a) The Principal Clerk.
(b) Correspondence Clerk.
(c) Junior Partner.
(d) Senior Partner.
13. What does Augusta discuss with Lady Morte that offends the Lady?
(c) Young men.
14. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He blackmails Tonio.
(b) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(c) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(d) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
15. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
(a) He does not want the bank to be hurt.
(b) He does not want his father to be hurt.
(c) He does not care about the bank.
(d) He is afraid of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
2. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
5. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)