|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) To show off her new house.
(b) To get Joseph voted Senior Partner.
(c) To get a loan for Micky's father.
(d) To keep Hugh from bettering himself.
2. Where does Micky now reside in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) At the university.
(b) Edward's house.
3. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
(a) He thinks animals do what they have to, but humans are disgusting.
(b) Hugh found the rats disgusting.
(c) Hugh hated that April seemed to like it.
(d) Hugh laughed at the whole event.
4. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Letters of inquiry as to why he won't see her.
(b) Letters of inquiry as to why she won't see him.
(c) Letters from Florence concerning Rachel.
(d) Letters from the court telling Hugh that there is an injuction.
5. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
(a) Edward beat him up.
(b) Micky tried to drown him.
(c) He could not find his clothes.
(d) Peter drowned.
6. Why is Micky afraid of his father?
(a) He has done heinous things to those who have gone against him.
(b) He has beaten Micky many times.
(c) He can force Micky to go back to Mexico.
(d) He is ignorant and angry.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(c) Her mother and father.
(d) Danny, her brother.
8. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
(a) She wants to show off her new Japanese style.
(b) She wants Madeleine to help her ruin Samuel.
(c) She wants Madeleine to help her keep Hugh down.
(d) Because they are good friends who share everything.
9. Why does Augusta set Nora up at the ball?
(a) Since Nora is beneath them, Augusta does not want her to be part of the family.
(b) Augusta is jealous of her and Hugh's success.
(c) Augusta does not like Nora.
(d) She does not want Hugh to become a partner at the bank.
10. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(b) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(c) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
(d) He blackmails Tonio.
11. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
(a) He needs to be told about Peter.
(b) Hugh's mother is there to see him.
(c) Hugh will be whipped for going swimming.
(d) They want to question him about Micky.
12. Hugh and his mother speak frankly for the first time about all of the following except for what?
(a) Augusta's devious ways and lies.
(c) Hugh's future.
(d) Maisie's reputation.
13. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) To the seaside to be with his mother.
(b) To Soho to be with Maisie.
(c) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
(d) He stays in London at the bank.
14. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) He has married someone else.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has lost his job.
(d) He has left the country.
15. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) A diamond shaped gable.
(b) A stone ship.
(c) A bank.
(d) An angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
2. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
3. Why does Carlos want Micky to stay in London?
4. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)