|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
(a) She stops him from taking a drink.
(b) She stops a pickpocket.
(c) She prevents Augusta from finding him at the races.
(d) She stops a man from hitting him.
2. What is ratting?
(a) Cocks fighting against rats.
(b) A dog fight against rats.
(c) Rats fighting against rats.
(d) Cock fighting.
3. Who do Edward, Micky and Hugh meet in the Argyll Room?
(a) Call girls.
(b) Micky's father, Carlos.
(c) Danny Robinson.
(d) Friends from high school.
4. What does Augusta know as Samuel Pilaster's weakness?
(a) A young man.
5. How does Augusta set up Nora at the ball?
(a) Augusta makes Nora slip and fall on the dance floor.
(b) Augusta has Nora say the wrong thing to Joseph.
(c) Augusta gets the Count to say something offensive to her so that she will overreact.
(d) Augusta lets Nora overhear a conversation about Hugh and Maisie.
6. How does Micky get Tonio to offer him his job in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Tonio is afraid of what Micky can do to him.
(b) He gets Tonio to believe he will be sent back to Cordova.
(c) He blackmails Tonio.
(d) He convinces Tonio that he is his friend.
7. What does Solly ask Maisie at the races?
(a) Will she be his mistress?
(b) Did she bet on her favorite horse?
(c) Will she marry him?
(d) Does she like Hugh?
8. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
(a) She is royalty.
(b) They owe her money.
(c) She owns the bar.
(d) To many, she is as important as the Queen.
9. What does Hugh decide to do with his future after the Nora incident in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Go work for Greenbourne.
(b) Work harder to regain his family's acceptance.
(c) Go back to Boston.
(d) Take time off.
10. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He offered Cammel the opportunity to buy Russian bonds.
(b) He offered to cash Cammel's check.
(c) He offered Cammel a better loan.
(d) He offered Cammel stocks.
11. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) He has left the country.
(b) He has married someone else.
(c) He has lost his job.
(d) He has died.
12. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To drink.
(b) To find girlfriends.
(c) To play baccarat.
(d) To smoke.
13. Why does Augusta have Micky walk her to the church in the Prologue?
(a) So she would not have to walk alone.
(b) To make him tell her the truth about Peter.
(c) To have him show her the way.
(d) To invite him to her home for the summer.
14. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) Letters from Florence concerning Rachel.
(b) Letters from the court telling Hugh that there is an injuction.
(c) Letters of inquiry as to why she won't see him.
(d) Letters of inquiry as to why he won't see her.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
(a) Joseph's work is not respected.
(b) Joseph has been unfaithful.
(c) Peter's brother, a lawyer, is making inquiries.
(d) Augusta has feelings for Micky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
2. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. What inappropriate action does Mickey take in the church with Augusta?
4. Why doesn't Maisie spend the entire day with Solly?
5. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)