|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) To get Joseph voted Senior Partner.
(b) To keep Hugh from bettering himself.
(c) To show off her new house.
(d) To get a loan for Micky's father.
2. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Miasie wants to see the house.
(b) A rain storm comes and soaks them.
(c) They want to be alone in his room.
(d) They are running from the ruffians from the park.
3. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
(a) Hugh's mother is there to see him.
(b) He needs to be told about Peter.
(c) They want to question him about Micky.
(d) Hugh will be whipped for going swimming.
4. What does Augusta pull out of her jewelry box in Part 2 to remind herself of the past?
(a) Ruby dragon earings.
(b) A serpent ring.
(c) A diamand brooch.
(d) A string of pearls.
5. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
(b) Edward marries.
(c) Edward brings in new accounts.
(d) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
6. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She does not love Hugh.
(b) She is not Jewish.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. Where does Micky now reside in Part I, Chapter 1?
(b) At the university.
(d) Edward's house.
8. What does Maisie stop from happening to Hugh during the Punch and Judy show?
(a) She stops him from taking a drink.
(b) She stops a pickpocket.
(c) She stops a man from hitting him.
(d) She prevents Augusta from finding him at the races.
9. Why does Joseph become angry with Augusta when she insists that he go to the park and NOT the bank on the holiday?
(a) He does not want to be told what to do.
(b) He wants Augusta to go to the bank with him.
(c) He hates the park.
(d) He wants to go to the bank with Hugh.
10. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
(a) He has a woman come into the room.
(b) He gives him a cigar.
(c) He gives Tonio a winning hand.
(d) He offers him his own money to borrow.
11. What news of Seth does Augusta give Micky when he comes to tea in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) Seth's health is failing.
(b) Seth will give Micky his loan.
(c) Seth has resigned from the bank.
(d) Seth's health has improved.
12. What is ratting?
(a) Cocks fighting against rats.
(b) Cock fighting.
(c) Rats fighting against rats.
(d) A dog fight against rats.
13. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He wants to experience the other side.
(b) He does not want Maisie to feel badly by taking a carriage.
(c) He has no money.
(d) Because he is with Maisie who is poor.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the Prologue?
15. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) An angel.
(b) A diamond shaped gable.
(c) A bank.
(d) A stone ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
2. How much time passes before Hugh returns to London at the beginning of Part 2?
3. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
4. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
5. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)