|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
(a) He does not want the bank to be hurt.
(b) He does not want his father to be hurt.
(c) He does not care about the bank.
(d) He is afraid of her.
2. In Part 2, Chapter 2, what is Hugh against the bank investing in?
(a) The Cordovan Railroad.
(b) New infrastructure for London.
(c) A new building for the bank.
(d) Russian bonds.
3. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
(a) She believes Nora is using Hugh.
(b) She thinks Nora is too low class for Hugh.
(c) She believes the two will do well together.
(d) She thinks Nora is madly in love with Hugh.
4. Why are the boys in detention in the Prologue of the book?
(a) Someone stole money.
(b) One of them was insubordinate.
(c) They were boisterous in class.
(d) They swam in the watering hole.
5. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
(a) Hugh hated that April seemed to like it.
(b) Hugh found the rats disgusting.
(c) He thinks animals do what they have to, but humans are disgusting.
(d) Hugh laughed at the whole event.
6. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She does not love Hugh.
(c) She is not Jewish.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. Why is Tonio crying when he meets up with Hugh in the woods?
(a) Peter drowned.
(b) Edward beat him up.
(c) Micky tried to drown him.
(d) He could not find his clothes.
8. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He offered Cammel stocks.
(b) He offered Cammel a better loan.
(c) He offered Cammel the opportunity to buy Russian bonds.
(d) He offered to cash Cammel's check.
9. What does Augusta pull out of her jewelry box in Part 2 to remind herself of the past?
(a) Ruby dragon earings.
(b) A serpent ring.
(c) A diamand brooch.
(d) A string of pearls.
10. Why does Hugh marry Nora?
(a) To make his family angry.
(b) Because he loves her.
(c) To forget Maisie.
(d) He wanted to spend the rest of his life holding her hand.
11. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
(a) She has Maisie get her tickets.
(b) She has Joseph get her tickets.
(c) She gets Lady Morte to get her tickets.
(d) She has Micky get her tickets.
12. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
13. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
(a) Blackmail the Mirandas.
(b) Purchase guns to start a war against them.
(c) Personally convince the bank not to lend them money.
(d) Run an editorial explaining the condition in the mines.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
(a) Joseph has been unfaithful.
(b) Peter's brother, a lawyer, is making inquiries.
(c) Joseph's work is not respected.
(d) Augusta has feelings for Micky.
15. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Go to dinner and dancing with him.
(b) Go for a carriage ride with him.
(c) Take a walk in the park with him.
(d) Go see a show with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Solly ask Maisie at the races?
2. What does Danny come to tell Maisie in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. Why is Micky afraid of his father?
4. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
5. Where is Hugh packing to go to as Part I, Chapter 5 opens?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)