|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
(a) Maisie Robinson.
(b) April Tilsley.
(c) Florence Stalworthy.
(d) Rachel Bodwin.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 1, how many years have passed since the Prologue?
3. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) He has married someone else.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has left the country.
4. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She does not love Hugh.
(d) She is not Jewish.
5. Why does Augusta set Nora up at the ball?
(a) Since Nora is beneath them, Augusta does not want her to be part of the family.
(b) She does not want Hugh to become a partner at the bank.
(c) Augusta does not like Nora.
(d) Augusta is jealous of her and Hugh's success.
6. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
(a) Hugh laughed at the whole event.
(b) Hugh hated that April seemed to like it.
(c) He thinks animals do what they have to, but humans are disgusting.
(d) Hugh found the rats disgusting.
7. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) A rain storm comes and soaks them.
(b) Miasie wants to see the house.
(c) They are running from the ruffians from the park.
(d) They want to be alone in his room.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(a) Danny, her brother.
(b) Her mother and father.
9. What inappropriate action does Mickey take in the church with Augusta?
(a) He lies to her.
(b) He kisses her on the lips.
(c) He kisses her hand.
(d) He touches her cheek.
10. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
(b) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
(c) Edward marries.
(d) Edward brings in new accounts.
11. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) A diamond shaped gable.
(b) A stone ship.
(c) An angel.
(d) A bank.
12. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Go see a show with him.
(b) Take a walk in the park with him.
(c) Go for a carriage ride with him.
(d) Go to dinner and dancing with him.
13. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They take their clothes and run.
(b) They throw their clothes in the water.
(c) They make them leave the hole.
(d) They join them in a game.
14. What does Hugh decide to do with his future after the Nora incident in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Go back to Boston.
(b) Work harder to regain his family's acceptance.
(c) Go work for Greenbourne.
(d) Take time off.
15. What proposition does Hugh bring to the family bankers at the beginning of Part 2?
(a) To merge with a stockbroker house in New York.
(b) To buy a railroad in America.
(c) To merge with a bank in New York.
(d) To invest in Cordova.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
2. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
3. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
4. What types of people went to the horse races in London in the late 1800s?
5. Why is Micky afraid of his father?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)