|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Micky cover up the murder?
(c) The nurse.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(a) Danny, her brother.
(c) Her mother and father.
3. What does Augusta discuss with Lady Morte that offends the Lady?
(b) Young men.
4. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
(a) She believes Nora is using Hugh.
(b) She believes the two will do well together.
(c) She thinks Nora is madly in love with Hugh.
(d) She thinks Nora is too low class for Hugh.
5. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They make them leave the hole.
(b) They throw their clothes in the water.
(c) They join them in a game.
(d) They take their clothes and run.
6. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) At a club in London.
(b) At the Greenbourne house.
(c) At Augusta's home.
(d) At Nellie's.
7. What does Augusta lie to Lady Stalworthy about?
(a) She says Hugh's father was mentally ill.
(b) She says Hugh has had many women.
(c) She says Hugh wants Florence for her money.
(d) She says Hugh is a gambler.
8. To where does Danny run away in the Prologue?
9. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what "secret" does Samuel know that he says may come back to haunt Augusta?
(a) Joseph's work is not respected.
(b) Peter's brother, a lawyer, is making inquiries.
(c) Joseph has been unfaithful.
(d) Augusta has feelings for Micky.
10. Why do Maisie and Hugh go into Augusta's house in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) A rain storm comes and soaks them.
(b) They are running from the ruffians from the park.
(c) Miasie wants to see the house.
(d) They want to be alone in his room.
11. What does Micky do at the baccarat game that makes things go his way?
(a) He barely bets, so he can't lose.
(b) He plays with Edward as they set up a scam.
(c) He deals, so he can stack the cards.
(d) He plays with Tonio to help him lose.
12. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
(a) Hugh's mother is there to see him.
(b) Hugh will be whipped for going swimming.
(c) They want to question him about Micky.
(d) He needs to be told about Peter.
13. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
(a) She has Micky get her tickets.
(b) She has Maisie get her tickets.
(c) She has Joseph get her tickets.
(d) She gets Lady Morte to get her tickets.
14. Why does Joseph become angry with Augusta when she insists that he go to the park and NOT the bank on the holiday?
(a) He wants to go to the bank with Hugh.
(b) He hates the park.
(c) He wants Augusta to go to the bank with him.
(d) He does not want to be told what to do.
15. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Get rid of her.
(b) Get her pregnant.
(c) Have Maisie teach her the ways of society.
(d) Send her away.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
2. How does Micky get Tonio to stay at the baccarat game longer than he wants to?
3. Hugh and his mother speak frankly for the first time about all of the following except for what?
4. Why does Hugh go with Micky and Edward to Nellie's?
5. What does Joseph Pilaster collect?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)