|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maisie discover about herself in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is not Jewish.
(d) She does not love Hugh.
2. What does Solly ask Maisie at the races?
(a) Will she be his mistress?
(b) Will she marry him?
(c) Does she like Hugh?
(d) Did she bet on her favorite horse?
3. Why doesn't Maisie spend the entire day with Solly?
(a) She is not allowed to.
(b) She doesn't like horse racing.
(c) She has plans to meet Hugh.
(d) She is bored.
4. How does Maisie initially react to Hugh and Nora's romance?
(a) She believes the two will do well together.
(b) She believes Nora is using Hugh.
(c) She thinks Nora is too low class for Hugh.
(d) She thinks Nora is madly in love with Hugh.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
(a) The titles of Lord and Countess.
(b) Ownership of the bank.
(d) A position of partner for Edward.
6. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
(a) That Micky will become a general in Cordova.
(b) That Micky will become a soldier.
(c) That Micky will run the ranch in Cordova.
(d) That Micky will become President of Cordova.
7. Why does Augusta show her new bedroom to Madeleine?
(a) She wants Madeleine to help her ruin Samuel.
(b) She wants to show off her new Japanese style.
(c) She wants Madeleine to help her keep Hugh down.
(d) Because they are good friends who share everything.
8. What lie does Augusta tell Madeleine while riding in the park in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) Hugh has stolen ideas from the Prinicpal Clerk.
(b) They are going to tell Seth about Samuel's sexuality.
(c) Seth has chosen Joseph as Senior Partner.
(d) Hugh knows the Lioness personally.
9. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Partner at the Pilaster's Bank.
(b) Cordovan Minister.
(c) Diplomatic Attache.
(d) President of Cordova.
10. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) An angel.
(b) A diamond shaped gable.
(c) A bank.
(d) A stone ship.
11. Why does Hugh tell Edward that his mother is looking for him?
(a) To be alone with Florence.
(b) To show Augusta that she is not in control.
(c) To make Edward mad.
(d) To be alone with Rachel.
12. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) To the seaside to be with his mother.
(b) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
(c) To Soho to be with Maisie.
(d) He stays in London at the bank.
13. What is ratting?
(a) A dog fight against rats.
(b) Cock fighting.
(c) Rats fighting against rats.
(d) Cocks fighting against rats.
14. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) He wants to experience the other side.
(b) Because he is with Maisie who is poor.
(c) He does not want Maisie to feel badly by taking a carriage.
(d) He has no money.
15. What does Augusta lie to Lady Stalworthy about?
(a) She says Hugh is a gambler.
(b) She says Hugh wants Florence for her money.
(c) She says Hugh's father was mentally ill.
(d) She says Hugh has had many women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Pilaster and Co. shut down?
2. What does Augusta discuss with Lady Morte that offends the Lady?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 3, what job does Maisie find?
4. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
5. What kind of a school is Windfield?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)