|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
(a) She is royalty.
(b) To many, she is as important as the Queen.
(c) They owe her money.
(d) She owns the bar.
2. Hugh and his mother speak frankly for the first time about all of the following except for what?
(a) Hugh's future.
(c) Augusta's devious ways and lies.
(d) Maisie's reputation.
3. Why do Micky and Edward go to Nellie's in Part 1, Chapter 2?
(a) To drink.
(b) To play baccarat.
(c) To smoke.
(d) To find girlfriends.
4. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He tells Hugh that he will not be a partner.
(b) He questions whether Augusta was behind it all.
(c) He leaves the party immediately.
(d) He laughs.
5. What sits at the top of the new Pilaster house?
(a) A diamond shaped gable.
(b) A bank.
(c) An angel.
(d) A stone ship.
6. What does Augusta reveal to Micky at the end of Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) That she is afraid for Micky about the drowning.
(b) That she knows he killed Peter.
(c) That she wants him.
(d) That a lawyer is looking into the drowning of Peter.
7. What does Samuel think of the offer that Hugh made to Cammel?
(a) He fires Hugh for insubordination.
(b) He is angry at Hugh's taking charge.
(c) He admires Hugh's precociousness.
(d) He laughs about it and tells Hugh not to do it again.
8. Where does Hugh go for the month of August before he leaves on his journey?
(a) To the seaside to be with his mother.
(b) To Soho to be with Maisie.
(c) He stays in London at the bank.
(d) To the countryside to spend time with friends.
9. Joseph promises Edward partnership at the bank when what happens?
(a) Edward stops hanging out with Micky.
(b) Edward brings in new accounts.
(c) Edward marries.
(d) Edward becomes friendly with Hugh.
10. Why is Augusta having a tea party in Part I, Chapter 1?
(a) To show off her new house.
(b) To keep Hugh from bettering himself.
(c) To get a loan for Micky's father.
(d) To get Joseph voted Senior Partner.
11. What is Tonio's plan to ruin the Mirandas' plan?
(a) Run an editorial explaining the condition in the mines.
(b) Personally convince the bank not to lend them money.
(c) Purchase guns to start a war against them.
(d) Blackmail the Mirandas.
12. Where does Hugh meet Maisie again in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) At Augusta's home.
(b) At a club in London.
(c) At the Greenbourne house.
(d) At Nellie's.
13. How does Augusta get invited to the Duchess' costume ball?
(a) She gets Lady Morte to get her tickets.
(b) She has Micky get her tickets.
(c) She has Joseph get her tickets.
(d) She has Maisie get her tickets.
14. What is the conversation about during tea in Part I, Chapter 5?
(a) The financial crisis.
(b) Seth's health.
(d) Joseph's new appointment at the bank.
15. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
(a) He thinks animals do what they have to, but humans are disgusting.
(b) Hugh hated that April seemed to like it.
(c) Hugh found the rats disgusting.
(d) Hugh laughed at the whole event.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joseph Pilaster collect?
2. Maisie doesn't want to be Solly's wife or mistress for all of the reasons except for which one?
3. What does Danny come to tell Maisie in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. What does Maisie eat with Bertie in the nursery?
5. What does Papa tell Micky that he has planned for Micky's future?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)