|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ratting?
(a) Cocks fighting against rats.
(b) Rats fighting against rats.
(c) Cock fighting.
(d) A dog fight against rats.
2. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
(a) They make them leave the hole.
(b) They throw their clothes in the water.
(c) They join them in a game.
(d) They take their clothes and run.
3. Why doesn't Maisie spend the entire day with Solly?
(a) She is not allowed to.
(b) She has plans to meet Hugh.
(c) She is bored.
(d) She doesn't like horse racing.
4. What does Albert Cammel's letter to Hugh reveal?
(a) That Albert will testify against Edward.
(b) That Micky and Edward had been telling the truth about the drowning.
(c) That Edward drowned Peter.
(d) That Micky and Augusta have a deeper relationship.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who has posted a message in Lloyd's Weekly News for Maisie?
(a) Her mother and father.
(d) Danny, her brother.
6. What does Tonio do for a "living"?
(a) He is an attache to the Codorvan Minister in London.
(b) He is an ambassador.
(c) He is a diplomat.
(d) He is a gambler.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 1, what does Augusta want for herself and Joseph that she manipulates to get?
(a) The titles of Lord and Countess.
(b) Ownership of the bank.
(c) A position of partner for Edward.
8. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Get her pregnant.
(b) Get rid of her.
(c) Send her away.
(d) Have Maisie teach her the ways of society.
9. Why is Micky afraid of his father?
(a) He can force Micky to go back to Mexico.
(b) He has done heinous things to those who have gone against him.
(c) He has beaten Micky many times.
(d) He is ignorant and angry.
10. Why do Micky and Edward treat Nell like royalty?
(a) She owns the bar.
(b) They owe her money.
(c) She is royalty.
(d) To many, she is as important as the Queen.
11. Why does Hugh marry Nora?
(a) To make his family angry.
(b) He wanted to spend the rest of his life holding her hand.
(c) Because he loves her.
(d) To forget Maisie.
12. What does Augusta pull out of her jewelry box in Part 2 to remind herself of the past?
(a) Ruby dragon earings.
(b) A serpent ring.
(c) A string of pearls.
(d) A diamand brooch.
13. Where does Micky now reside in Part I, Chapter 1?
(b) Edward's house.
(c) At the university.
14. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Go see a show with him.
(b) Go to dinner and dancing with him.
(c) Go for a carriage ride with him.
(d) Take a walk in the park with him.
15. How does Hugh help Sir John Cammel and himself at the same time in Part 1, Chapter 3?
(a) He offered Cammel stocks.
(b) He offered to cash Cammel's check.
(c) He offered Cammel a better loan.
(d) He offered Cammel the opportunity to buy Russian bonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Augusta tell Madeleine while riding in the park in Part 1, Chapter 3?
2. How does Hugh feel about the ratting?
3. What does Maisie learn of Hugh at the lawyer's office in Part 1, Chapter 5?
4. Why does Solly take the train and the bus in Part 1, Chapter 4?
5. Who shows up at the costume ball and questions Hugh?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)