|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Solly suggest to Hugh about Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) Send her away.
(b) Get her pregnant.
(c) Have Maisie teach her the ways of society.
(d) Get rid of her.
2. What does Solly ask Maisie at the races?
(a) Does she like Hugh?
(b) Will she be his mistress?
(c) Will she marry him?
(d) Did she bet on her favorite horse?
3. What does Hugh ask Maisie to do after the races in Part 1, Chapter 4?
(a) Go to dinner and dancing with him.
(b) Go see a show with him.
(c) Go for a carriage ride with him.
(d) Take a walk in the park with him.
4. Why is Micky afraid of his father?
(a) He has beaten Micky many times.
(b) He can force Micky to go back to Mexico.
(c) He has done heinous things to those who have gone against him.
(d) He is ignorant and angry.
5. What does Micky decide to do in Part 2, Chapter 1 to get Edward to marry?
(a) Force Edward to marry.
(b) Trick Edward into marriage.
(c) Leave London.
(d) Micky decides to marry.
6. What does Maisie eat with Bertie in the nursery?
(b) Porridge and honey.
(d) Ice cream.
7. Why does Maisie leave home in the Prologue?
(a) She does not want her mother to starve for her.
(b) She hates her father.
(c) She is hungry.
(d) Her brother, Danny, runs away.
8. How does Joseph react to the incident with Nora in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He leaves the party immediately.
(b) He tells Hugh that he will not be a partner.
(c) He questions whether Augusta was behind it all.
(d) He laughs.
9. Who is Solly Greenhouse's date at the Argyll Room?
(a) Florence Stalworthy.
(b) April Tilsley.
(c) Rachel Bodwin.
(d) Maisie Robinson.
10. Who wins the ratting bet in Part 1, Chapter 2?
11. What kind of a school is Windfield?
(a) A Jewish school.
(b) A Catholic school.
(c) A boarding school.
(d) A public school.
12. Hugh and his mother speak frankly for the first time about all of the following except for what?
(a) Hugh's future.
(b) Maisie's reputation.
(d) Augusta's devious ways and lies.
13. Why does Augusta set Nora up at the ball?
(a) Since Nora is beneath them, Augusta does not want her to be part of the family.
(b) Augusta is jealous of her and Hugh's success.
(c) Augusta does not like Nora.
(d) She does not want Hugh to become a partner at the bank.
14. Where does Hugh meet Nora?
(a) At the Greenbourne's house.
(b) In a bakery.
(c) She stumbles into him on the street.
(d) At a club.
15. Why does Samuel give in to Augusta's threats about his sexuality?
(a) He is afraid of her.
(b) He does not want his father to be hurt.
(c) He does not care about the bank.
(d) He does not want the bank to be hurt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Offerton send Hugh to the schoolmaster's office when he sees him in the courtyard in the Prologue?
2. What correspondence is sent between Hugh and Florence in Part 1, Chapter 2?
3. Why doesn't Maisie spend the entire day with Solly?
4. What do Micky and Edward do to the other boys at the watering hole?
5. What title does Micky now have in Part 2, Chapter 1?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)