• Windfield school for boys in the late 1800s is the setting of the novel.
• The boys are in detention because someone stole money from Mr. Offerton.
• Micky and Edward decide to escape detention and go swimming at the watering hole.
• They make their way there only to find three younger boys already there.
• Edward throws their clothes in the water.
• Hugh pushes Edward in.
• Edward retaliates by pushing Peter under the water. Tonio throws a rock and hits Edward in the head.
• Hugh runs away carrying some of his clothes,
• Tonio catches up with Hugh; he is crying but won't say why.
• Hugh and Tonio get caught as they reappear on campus.
• Hugh is sent to the schoolmaster's office where his mother is waiting for him to tell him that his father is dead.
• Danny and Maisie wait for Papa to come home from work on...
This section contains 4,695 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)