* Windfield school for boys in the late 1800s is the setting of the novel.
* The boys are in detention because someone stole money from Mr. Offerton.
* Micky and Edward decide to escape detention and go swimming at the watering hole.
* They make their way there only to find three younger boys already there.
* Edward throws their clothes in the water.
* Hugh pushes Edward in.
* Edward retaliates by pushing Peter under the water. Tonio throws a rock and hits Edward in the head.
* Hugh runs away carrying some of his clothes,
* Tonio catches up with Hugh; he is crying but won't say why.
* Hugh and Tonio get caught as they reappear on campus.
* Hugh is sent to the schoolmaster's office where his mother is waiting for him to tell him that his father is dead.
* Danny and Maisie wait for Papa to come home from work on Friday...
This section contains 4,679 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)