|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jacobo say he found the threatening note he shows Mr. Howlands in Chapter 12?
2. Who broke the news of Mwihaki's father's death to her?
3. Who suggests to Njoroge that he stay in school despite the letter in Chapter 10?
4. Who are facing murder charges for the death of Mr. Howlands?
5. When does Stephen tell Njoroge that he will be moving away with his family when they first talk in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mr. Howlands come to feel about his work in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 12?
2. Why are Ngotho's wife and son taken away in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 10? How does he respond to the situation?
3. What has Ngotho done that brings conflict and pain to his family in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 15? Why has he committed this act?
4. What is the dynamic between Mwihaki and Njoroge when they meet on the hill in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 13?
5. Why does Ngotho express hope in Njoroge in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 13?
6. Where is Njoroge working in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 17? How does he feel about his employment?
7. How is the headmaster of the Siriana Secondary School described in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 15?
8. What news does Kamau relate to Njoroge when Njoroge finds him in the village in Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 11?
9. How does Njoroge perceive his fellow students and teachers at the Siriana Secondary School?
10. What bad omens are described in the beginning of Part 2: "Darkness Falls," Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Ngotho in Weep Not, Child. How does Ngotho change as a character from the beginning of the novel to the end? What are the significant actions that Ngotho takes that impact the plot of the story? Are those actions justified? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Outline and analyze the plot structure of Weep Not, Child. Where in the novel does the inciting action occur? Where is the climax of the narrative? How would you describe the tone of the novel's falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Mr. Howlands as an antagonist in Weep Not, Child. How does Mr. Howlands' character change between Parts 1 and 2 of the novel? What incurs these changes? What are the primary motivators of Mr. Howlands?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)