|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator, Bon, and Man swear their blood oath?
2. The commandant tells the narrator in Chapter 19, "you are a communist only in name. In practice, you are" what?
3. Where do the narrator and Bon change planes on their trip to Thailand in Chapter 17?
4. How old was the narrator when he swore a blood oath as blood brothers with Bon?
5. What is the proper response to the coded question "Can you take us to our uncle's funeral" for the ferryman in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by the narrator's rucksack in the novel?
2. What is the answer to the question that the narrator must answer to the commmissar in the end of the novel?
3. What memory of his father's death does the narrator recall in Chapter 18?
4. What is revealed in the jar on the commandant's desk? What does it symbolize?
5. What is significant about the newspaper article "Move On, War Over"?
6. How has the narrator's past year in the prison been described in Chapter 19?
7. What effects has the torture had on the narrator in the beginning of Chapter 22?
8. How does the admiral compare the plight of the troops to Jesus in Chapter 17?
9. What conflict does the narrator recall with the General as he falls asleep in Chapter 17?
10. What does Man reveal about his sympathies to the narrator in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the methods of torture used on the narrator during "reeducation." What are the effects of these methods? How is the narrator affected both mentally and physically? How is he led to recover?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Lana in the novel. How old is Lana? Where does the narrator know Lana from? What risks does the narrator take in courting Lana?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the narrator and Bon's capture in Thailand. What mission are they on when they are captured? Who captures them? Where are they taken after capture?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)