|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Socialist Youth League performed work in the summer, they dug tunnels around Hyeonseo's school. What type of work did they engage in during the other three seasons that year?
2. At what age are North Koreans forced to join the Socialist Youth League?
3. Attendance at what event is mandatory for children from the time they enter North Korean elementary school?
(a) Public hangings.
(b) National concerts.
(c) Taekwondo tournaments.
(d) A children's party given on the anniversary of Kim Il-sung's birth.
4. What is NOT a quality named by Hyeonseo in her list of beliefs North Koreans held about The Great Leader before his death?
(a) The Great Leader is immortal.
(b) The Great Leader does not urinate.
(c) The Great Leader is omniscient.
(d) The Great Leader does not sleep.
5. At the time of her writing, how many years ago does Hyeonseo say North Korea had been created?
6. What was the title of Hyeonseo's favorite song and is also the title of Chapter 10 of her memoir?
(a) Gangnam Style.
(b) Rocky Island.
(c) Jailhouse Rock.
(d) Come to Me.
7. In 1992, the North Korean government launched a widely publicized campaign called "Let us eat" (55), how many meals per day?
8. When Hyeonseo heard the news that some local young women had been caught listening to South Korean pop music, what was their allocated punishment?
(a) They are forced to move to a different county.
(b) They are sentenced to a prison camp.
(c) They are executed.
(d) They are exiled from North Korea.
9. The author states that once she entered kindergarten, she never again belonged to her parents, but instead belonged to whom?
(a) Kim Jong-il.
(b) Her future husband.
(c) Kim Il-sung.
(d) The state.
10. Hyeonseo remarks that the family's home by the river in Hyesan was perfect for what?
(a) Her mother's illicit enterprises.
(b) Learning to sail.
(c) Her own gardening hobby.
(d) Learning to ice skate.
11. What was the last present Hyeonseo received from her father prior to his death?
(a) A doll.
(b) A hula-hoop.
(c) A bicycle.
(d) A tea set.
12. On what condition had Hyeonseo's grandparents agreed to allow their son to marry Hyeonseo's mother?
(a) Hyeonseo's mother must be sterilized.
(b) A dowry must be paid.
(c) The family home must be in their son's name alone.
(d) Hyeonseo's first name must be changed.
13. What level of the caste system is made up of 10-15% of the North Korean population?
(b) Kim family employees.
14. To what figure is Chapter 14's title referring in its statement that "The great heart has stopped beating" on the chapter's title page?
(a) Hyeonseo's father.
(b) Kim Il-sung.
(c) Kim Jong-Il.
(d) Kim Jong-un.
15. On what type of transport is Hyeonseo's mother traveling when she meets Hyeonseo's father?
(a) A train.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A plane.
(d) A trolley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Even though it meant shopping for food every day, for what reason did Hyeonseo's mother eschew the latest trend of buying a refrigerator from China?
2. What was listed as Hyeonseo's father's cause of death after her mother had bribed the hospital authorities to falsify it?
3. Whose daughter told Hyeonseo that illegal South Korean pop cassettes could be bought discreetly from certain dealers?
4. Why does Hyeonseo not start kindergarten in Hyesan as she had thought she would?
5. Hyeonseo says that she has learned that people can do without almost anything, but they cannot do without what?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)