|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kolesnik's reply when Micha asks if he is sad?
(a) That the only thing he feels is sadness.
(b) That he gets sad when he talks about it but tries to move on.
(c) That he is not sad.
(d) That he lost sadness a long time ago, even before the Germans came.
2. What does Elena show Micha?
(a) The grave of her brother, who was also an SS man.
(b) Photos of his Opa during the war.
(c) Jozef's old photos.
(d) The site of the Jewish killings.
3. Why does Lore stop seeing Tomas?
(a) Lore discovers his secret and is appalled.
(b) Wiebke tells her it is shameful.
(c) Oma is suspicious of her whereabouts.
(d) His angry response to her.
4. What does Elena believe is her punishment for her husband's crimes?
(a) The inability to have children.
(b) Racism aimed at her.
(c) Her children's early death.
(d) A lifetime of being ostracized.
5. Micha and Jozef's first conversation can be described as ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vati wish for concerning his family's connection to World War II?
2. What feelings does Micha have for Jozef?
3. What is Tomas' reaction when Lore questions him about fathers in prison?
4. What does Lore overhear on the train?
5. Who speaks with Micha at the train station before he leaves again to search the truth about his Opa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tomas travels with the family for a long time, but once they reach the border, he wants to leave them. Why would Tomas want to leave at this point?
2. Jozef explains to Micha how the soldiers are able to kill the Jews without self-blame. How is this done?
3. Lore uses the tram with people reading the paper and has a ferry crossing as a birthday gift. What might these and other scenes in Section 7 predict about the future?
4. Lore and the children keep Tomas a secret from Oma and Wiebke. Why is it not safe to tell them about Tomas?
5. Jochen dies from Russian soldiers shooting at him. What is the significance of his death? Why does Seiffert add this to Lore's story?
6. Elena brings Micha to the place where her husband and his Opa killed the Jews. Describe Elena's reaction to the site of the killing fields. How does this reaction show who she is as a person?
7. Jozef and Elena recount their experiences of the German occupation. Summarize what it is like in Belarus during WWII.
8. What is Micha's search for the truth doing to the family?
9. At first, Micha goes to the Kolesniks for his knowledge but over time, Elena is the one to request Micha's visit. What is the basis behind Micha's relationship with the Kolesniks?
10. Describe Micha's feelings for his Opa as time goes on as he continues his search for the truth.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)