|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Shmuel tell Bruno he’s from in Chapter Ten: "The Dot that Became a Speck that Became a Blob that Became a Figure that Became a Boy"?
2. What are the people behind the fence said to be pushing from one side of the camp to the other in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
3. Gretel says in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window" that “Father hates” what?
(a) “German things.”
(d) “Modern things.”
4. Where does Bruno find the rope needed to build his tire swing in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done"?
(a) The attic.
(b) In the shed.
(c) The basement.
(d) In Gretel’s room.
5. The people on the other side of the fence are described as being how far from Bruno’s home, as he and Gretel watch from the window in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"?
(a) 20 feet away.
(b) 50 feet away.
(c) 200 feet away.
(d) 100 feet away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Bruno recall his mother having said they “never should have let come to dinner” in his memory of leaving their home in Berlin in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
2. How is the woman described that came to dinner with the Fury at Bruno’s house in Berlin in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
3. The official car that drove Bruno and his family to the train station when they left Berlin is described in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions" as having what color flags on the front?
4. Lieutenant Kotler tells Bruno in Chapter Seven: "How Mother Took Credit for Something that She Hadn't Done" that the only spare tire he’s seen around recently belongs to whom?
5. What is Gretel’s answer when Bruno asks her in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case,” “What is foreseeable future exactly?”
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Bruno and his father regarding their move in Chapter One: "Bruno Makes a Discovery"?
2. How does Bruno study his class work while at Out-With in Chapter Nine: "Bruno Remembers that He Used to Enjoy Exploration"?
3. How is the setting beyond the fence described in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"?
4. How old is Gretel in Chapter Four: "What they Saw through the Window"? How does Bruno feel about his sister?
5. What does Bruno show Gretel in his room in Chapter Three: "The Hopeless Case"? How does Gretel respond?
6. Who does “the Fury” refer to in the novel? What information does the reader learn about the Fury in Chapter Two: "The New House"?
7. What is Bruno’s father’s position within the German military? What is the reason for his relocation?
8. What does Bruno tell Maria about regarding the move in Chapter Six: "The Overpaid Maid"?
9. How does Bruno respond when his father asks him what he thinks of their new home in Chapter Five: "Out of Bounds at All Times and No Exceptions"?
10. How is Bruno’s relationship to his grandparents described in Chapter Eight: "Why Grandmother Stormed Out"?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)