|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah tell Strether about Chad's development in Book 11?
2. What surprises Strether about the Pococks?
3. Where does Waymarsh take Sarah to dine in Book 9?
4. What does Miss Gostrey say to Strether during their last meeting?
5. What does Madame de Vionnet tell Sarah in Book 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has departed for Switzerland in Book 11?
2. What present from Chad does Strether notice in Mamie Pocock's apartment?
3. What does Madame de Vionnet ask Strether concerning Mrs. Newsome?
4. What does Chad tell Strether he is ready to do in Book 7?
5. What does Miss Barrace tell Strether concerning Chad in Book 10?
6. What artist's painting does the scenery outside Paris remind Strether of?
7. How does Strether travel outside of Paris in Book 11?
8. Where in Paris is the Pocock's hotel?
9. What does Strether do with the telegram he receives from Mrs. Newsome in Book 7?
10. How many times as Strether written to Miss Gostrey during her absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze how the writer uses various characters and their relationships to identify change as a primary theme of the novel. Consider how the writer both identifies and strengthens this theme throughout the novel's progression.
Essay Topic 2
The author gives little detail about the particulars concerning the source of wealth of the characters. Certain of the characters have professions, others do not. Write an essay in which you analyze the role of money in the novel, particularly with a view to discussing how it affects certain characters' worldview and/or decisions.
Essay Topic 3
The entire novel concerns the question of Chad's return to America. Analyze whether or not Chad's decision was predictable. In your essay, also discuss whether or not you think Strether had confidence that he would succeed in his mission? Did your expectation of success (or Strether's) change during the novel?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)