|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the landmark near C Company's assignment southwest of Danang?
2. Why is Caputo relieved that the dead boy had no identification on him?
3. What change does Caputo notice in his men back at their position on the hill?
4. What is the refrain the sergeant teaches the men during war training?
5. What do they hear about right away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What really causes the aloofness to Caputo at the base camp?
2. What is the news that makes Caputo sorry he is not there instead of being in Okinawa?
3. How does Caputo describe the way a soldier fighting in the jungle should act?
4. Describe the Annamese Cordillera.
5. Why do the men continually have to be reminded to keep five paces between them and the next man?
6. How does Caputo describe himself as he watches the action of the offensive from the hill?
7. What is the new warfare of the New Frontier?
8. What happens to the machine-gunner named Parker as they wait for a convoy?
9. Why does the C-130 make a sudden steep assault-dive on the way to the war zone?
10. Explain why Caputo says that at age twenty-four he is more prepared for death than he is for life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine you were there in Caputo's platoon. Write a paper expressing your opinion of 2nd Lieutenant Caputo as he takes command of your platoon. Describe his personality and character as you see him from the point of view of an enlisted man or woman.
Essay Topic 2
The charges against Caputo and his men would have gone completely unnoticed had the village not lodged a complaint. Write a paper in which you give your opinion about the role of political expediency in deciding when and against whom to prosecute. Discuss whether you think the event involving Le Dung was an isolated incident.
Essay Topic 3
Discomfort is never pleasant. Using the book, write about some of the worst situations in terms of comfort and express your opinion about how well you would deal with them. Some examples you might use are the leeches, immersion foot, sleeping in several inches of water in a foxhole, trying to sleep with large artillery going off all night, having only C Rations to eat, etc.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)