|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenkins say he can see when he looks back at his memories?
2. What is Jenkins looking at at the beginning of the novel?
3. What is La Grenadiere?
4. Where does Jenkins head in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
5. How does Jenkins describe Stringham's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Widmerpool doing when he and Jenkins first meet?
2. Why is Jenkins annoyed by Giles in Chapter 4 of "A Question of Upbringing"?
3. How does Jenkins describe Widmerpool?
4. Where does Jenkins travel to in Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing"? Who does he find is also there?
5. How does Jenkins describe the difference between Templer and Stringham?
6. Who does Jenkins find attractive at the dance in Chapter 2 of "A Question of Upbringing"? What does Sunny question Jenkins about on the train?
7. In Chapter 3 of "A Question of Upbringing", what does Jenkins do in order to impress a young woman? What goes wrong?
8. What opportunity presents itself to Stringham at one of Sillers' afternoon tea events?
9. How does Widmerpool react to Jenkins' confession about Le Bas' arrest?
10. Who is Sillers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of marriage and divorce in the first volume of "A Dance to the Music of Time". Who marries in the novels? Who divorces or separates in the novels? Why? What does Jenkins think of marriage and divorce?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of "A Dance to the Music of Time", Anthony Powell. What other books has he written? What is his writing style? How was his work received by critics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jenkins' growth as a character. How does he grow throughout the novels? How was he able to do this? How does it change his relationships with others?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)