The most significant thing that Spencer does to annoy Holden is to read aloud Holden's essay response on a History exam. Holden has failed the exam, and both he and Spencer know it, but Spencer still humiliates Holden by reading aloud his terrible response about the Egyptians.
Additionally, Holden is bothered by Spencer's age and infirmity. He wonders why Spencer bothers going on living. He also considers Spencer to be "phony" like all other adults in Holden's life. Specific examples follow.
Some other things Spencer does to annoy Holden in Chapter Two:
- Makes corny jokes about being sick
- Nods aimlessly
- Talks about life being "a game" and having to play by "the rules"
- Spencer picks his nose
- Uses the word "grand" which Holden considers phony
- Tries to throw his magazine on the bed and misses
- Rubs it in that Holden knows "absolutely nothing" and that's why he had to fail him
- Repeatedly calls Holden "boy"
- Doesn't cover up his bumpy old-man chest