1. Where is the narrator sitting and thinking at the beginning of the story?
2. What does the narrator remember his friend teasing him about?
3. What part of the narrator's friendship with his absent friend is he sad about?
4. What pact do the narrator and his best friend make before parting?
5. What is the name of the new friend the narrator makes at the beginning of the novel?
6. Who does the narrator hire to help him mine lignite on the island?
7. What does Zorba promise the narrator upon the initiation of their friendship?
8. What or who does the narrator live for?
9. What or who does Zorba live for?
10. What or who does the narrator's long-time friend live for?
11. What reason does Zorba give for having attacked his old boss?
12. What exclamation does the first chapter conclude with?
13. What body part is Zorba missing a part of?
14. Why does Zorba say he removed the body part?
15. The narrator warn Zorba that such passions may lead to the removal of what body part?
16. What is the primary message in the book that the narrator is reading?
17. Zorba tells the narrator stories about the island. What kind of events does he describe?
18. Who do Zorba and the narrator stay with on their first night on the island?
19. With whom does Zorba begin a romance?
20. What act has Zorba performed that symbolizes the connection between freedom and manliness?
21. Why does the narrator say that the sexual organs may get in the way of freedom?
22. What is the ultimate physical experience for Zorba?
23. Although the narrator remains unnamed, what does Zorba call the narrator?
24. How does Zorba suggest that a man best get to know the world?
25. What does the narrator do on his first morning in Crete?
26. When the narrator meets some young women on his first day in Crete, how do the girls respond?
27. In Chapter 3, what is the narrator reading when Zorba asks him to come in for lunch?
28. Who is the second person to offer the narrator and Zorba lodging in Crete?
29. Who were Madame Hortense's four great loves?
30. Which of her lovers' names does Madame Hortense's parrot repeat?
31. What has historically impacted Crete and the Cretan people more than anything else?
32. Zorba tells the story of an old man who will what?
33. How does Zorba live his life?
34. When Zorba and the narrator refuse Mavrandoni's offer of hospitality, what does he say about them?
35. Who does Zorba offer to take the place of in Madame Hortense's world?
36. How many places does Zorba set the dinner table for on their first night on Crete?
37. In Chapter 4, what does the narrator do when he first awakens?
38. To whom does the narrator's soldier friend say his greatest actions will be owed credit?
39. What does Zorba tell the narrator he should have done before going to bed the night before in chapter 4?
40. As the narrator gets to know the mine workers, what does he talk to them about?
41. What does Zorba do when he hears his boss talking to the workmen?
42. What does Zorba think is the best way to run the mine?
43. What is one of the narrator's goals at the end of Chapter 4?
44. What is the narrator's second goal at the end of Chapter 4?
45. What does Zorba say that his 80 year-old grandmother wanted?
46. What does the narrator remember his grandfather doing?
47. How does Zorba believe a man should treat a woman?
48. Who takes charge when the work begins in the mine?
49. What happens at the celebration in Chapter 5?
50. What story does Anagnosti tell at the celebration?
51. Why does Zorba tell the narrator not to preach equality of the sexes?
52. What does Zorba indicate would be the worst thing the narrator could do to Anagnosti?
53. What does the narrator begin doing late one restless night in Chapter 5?
54. What are Zorba's beliefs about the existence of God?
55. In regards to food, what three categories does Zorba say that the three different types of men turn their food into?
56. In which category does Zorba think his boss strives for with his food?
57. What does Zorba consider the act of dancing to be?
58. What is the great plan that Zorba reveals to the narrator in Chapter 6?
59. What does the narrator mostly do while Zorba works in the mine?
60. How does Zorba feel about women?
61. What is Zorba's response when the narrator asks him how many times he has been married?
62. What does Zorba mean when he describes being married "dishonestly"?
63. How did Zorba temporarily keep track of his sexual relationships?
64. What are the names of Zorba's two "half-honest" lovers?
65. At the feast at Noussa's house, what does Zorba say happened after he gave the toast?
66. Under what conditions does Zorba say that Noussa left him?
67. In a letter to his friend, what does the narrator say his friend inspired him to do?
68. How does the narrator end the letter to his friend in Chapter 8?
69. Why does Zorba suggest that the narrator should burn his library?
70. While Zorba and the narrator are in the shop, who runs past the window?
71. Who reports that a widow has lost her sheep and is offering a reward for it?
72. Who does Zorba suggest that the narrator romantically pursue?
73. How does Zorba describe God?
74. What happens at the mine in Chapter 9?
75. About what does Zorba confront the miners?
76. What does the narrator do when Zorba displays frustration with the miners?
77. Why does Zorba watch the widow's home?
78. What happens to Zorba that he believes to be a terrible omen?
79. What makes the narrator want the widow even more?
80. With what does the narrator compare his lustful feelings for the widow to?
81. What does Zorba tell the narrator that God would rather him do?
82. With whom do the narrator and Zorba enjoy Christmas Eve dinner?
83. What incident on the beach mellows the narrator's restlessness?
84. What reason does the narrator give in his argument that Zorba should not pressure him to visit the widow?
85. In Chapter 11, what does the narrator do when he sees the widow?
86. What painting does Zorba present to Madame Hortense?
87. What does Zorba's gift prompt Madame Hortense to do?
88. Who does Zorba blame for Madame Hortense's promiscuity?
89. How does Zorba treat women for the most part?
90. How does the narrator depict Madame Hortense?
91. What does the narrator decide about the poetry he has always loved?
92. With what does the narrator begin to equate Buddha?
93. What does the narrator's manuscript become for him?
94. Why does Zorba travel to town in Chapter 12?
95. Who does the narrator receive letters from in Chapter 12?
96. While Zorba is away, who invites the narrator to visit Africa?
97. In a letter to the narrator, Zorba indicates that he has a devil living inside of him who is like Zorba in every way except what?
98. Who does Zorba meet while in Candia?
99. What does the narrator request of Zorba when he remains in Candia for longer than expected?
100. In Chapter 13, Zorba demonstrates his dedication to what?
101. Why does Zorba begin to feel restless and depressed while in Candia?
102. How does Lola refer to Zorba?
103. What message does the narrator tell Madame Hortense that Zorba has sent from Candia?
104. Why does Pavli commit suicide?
105. Whose death is sought after to avenge Pavli's death?
106. How does Zorba describe proposal and marriage?
107. Who publicly defends the accused and attempts to break up the mob which seeks justice for Pavli's death?
108. What gift does Mimiko deliver from the accused in Pavli's death?
109. What does the narrator come across while walking on the mountain path?
110. When the narrator meets an old man on the trail, where does the man ask if he's headed?
111. What supposedly happens to the Martyred Virgin once every year?
112. The narrator disagrees with the way the old man on the mountain trail does what?
113. What is the narrator's topic of conversation with the Mother Superior?
114. In Chapter 15, what does the narrator momentarily believe is his last obstacle to freedom?
115. What startling news does Zorba receive when he returns from Candia?
116. How does Zorba feel about the narrator's false promises made while Zorba was in Candia?
117. How does Zorba change his appearance while in Candia?
118. In Chapter 16,what type of power does the narrator attempt to describe?
119. On what activity does the narrator try to instruct Zorba in Chapter 16?
120. Upon his return from Candia, what does Zorba encourage the narrator to quickly get started on?
121. From whom must Zorba and the narrator rent land for the timber rail project?
122. Who do Zorba and the narrator meet as they climb the mountain?
123. What is the statue of Our Lady of Revenge notorious for?
124. What does Demetrios want to show Zorba and the narrator?
125. How does Zorba say that he gets rid of intense longings?
126. Who does Zorba say is having a sexual relationship with his student?
127. How do the negotiations over land between Zorba and the abbot begin?
128. For what action is Zorba trying to make up for by his actions in Chapter 18?
129. What startles the narrator from his sleep at the monastery?
130. How does the narrator respond to the bishop's theories on religion?
131. Who mocks the bishop's theories?
132. What happens to Gavrili in the night at the monastery?
133. What does Madame Hortense want from Zorba in Chapter 19?
134. What gift does Madame Hortense present to Zorba when he returns from the monastery?
135. Why does Zorba refuse to sleep with Madame Hortense in Chapter 19?
136. In pleasing Madame Hortense, to whom does Zorba compare himself?
137. How does Zorba compare to Hortense's former lovers in her eyes?
138. What does the narrator say about Hortense becoming a bride?
139. Before going to bed the night before beginning work on the railway, what does the narrator ask Zorba if he's ever done?
140. What does Zorba say prompted him to quit the army?
141. After rescuing Zorba from being captured, what happens to the widow in his war story?
142. What good omen marks the narrator and Zorba's morning on the day work is to begin on the railway?
143. For what do the villagers gather to watch in Chapter 20?
144. In his story, what does Zorba's grandfather tell the old soldier about the piece of wood he gives him?
145. What do the narrator and Zorba do on Easter Sunday?
146. Who does the narrator see as he is walking toward the village on Easter?
147. For what action does Zorba grow proud of the narrator?
148. Why does the narrator call a doctor on Easter?
149. Why does the narrator feel like he can forget about the Enlightened One?
150. After sleeping with the widow, what does the narrator realize?
151. What causes the Easter celebration to abruptly stop?
152. Who claims the right to pronounce judgment on the widow regarding Pavli's death?
153. Who fights the mob leader in an attempt to save the widow?
154. Who kills the widow and how is it done?
155. Which character reveals that he had a son who died at the age of three?
156. Who challenges Zorba to a knife fight near the widow's garden?
157. What does Zorba learn when he awakens from a dream in Chapter 23?
158. Who waits outside for Hortense to die in order to loot her belongings?
159. When she dies, who brings the officials to inventory Madame Hortense's belongings?
160. Who does Zorba adopt when Hortense dies?
161. Who closes Hortense's eyes when she dies?
162. Who attempts to cheer Zorba up following the death of Hortense?
163. What does Zorba ask the narrator to explain to him in Chapter 24?
164. What causes Zorba to become infuriated after Hortense's death?
165. Who does Zorba claim was Hortense's greatest lover?
166. What news does the monk Zaharia bring in Chapter 24?
167. Who does Zaharia say inspired his mission?
168. What concept does the narrator come up with when formulating his ideas about death?
169. What miracle do the monks come down from the mountain to share?
170. What happens when the first log is tested on the new railway?
171. What happens when the fourth log is tested on the rail system?
172. What language does Zorba teach the narrator in chapter 25?
173. After receiving a letter from his friend in Chapter 25, who does the narrator warn when he feels a sense of danger?
174. When the narrator loses everything, what does he find?
175. What does the narrator promise to binge on so that he no longer desires it?
176. What does the narrator tell Zorba that they will one day build?
177. When he arrives in Candia, what news does the narrator receive?
178. What does Zorba invite his old boss to come and see in Chapter 26?
179. What does the narrator inherit from Zorba?
180. What does Zorba suggest the narrator will need to become completely free?
This section contains 5,585 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)