|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
2. How does the rooster get out of the house?
3. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do when she hears her husband ate the Hanukkah treat?
4. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
5. How many children does Shlemiel have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
2. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
3. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
4. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
5. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
6. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
7. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one day?
8. What happens as David returns to his house?
9. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
10. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aaron endures many different trials before the end of his story. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in many of these stories. Which characters are most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Interesting advice is given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what are the consequences of it?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)