|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the devil walking in the snow?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
3. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
4. What does Lemel's signature look like?
5. Where does Lemel put his second gift from Shlemel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
2. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
3. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
4. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
5. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
6. What happens as David returns to his house?
7. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
8. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
9. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
10. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in these stories and where does it appear? How is the plot of the stories altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)