|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
2. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do to keep Shlemiel from eating the Hanukkah treat?
3. What wakes Shlemiel from his nap?
4. How does Shlemiel get the baby back to sleep after he is hurt?
5. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
2. What happens as David returns to his house?
3. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
4. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
5. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
6. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
7. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
8. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
9. How does the rooster get out of the house?
10. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)