|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
2. What part of the devil gets caught in the door?
3. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
4. What does David use to hurt the devil before releasing him?
5. What kind of house does David live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
2. What happens as David returns to his house?
3. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
4. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
5. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
6. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
7. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
8. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
9. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
10. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Aaron endures many different trials before the end of his story. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)