|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first person to go looking for David's father?
2. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
3. What does David tell the devil to do when he is caught in the door?
4. How long after their wedding does Yenta have a baby?
5. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
2. What helps David get back to his house?
3. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
4. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
5. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
6. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
7. How does the rooster get out of the house?
8. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
9. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
10. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is experienced a number of times in these stories by different characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)