|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
2. How much of the Hanukkah treat does Shlemiel eat?
3. What is Lemel's occupation?
4. What does David use to hurt the devil before releasing him?
5. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
2. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
3. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
4. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
5. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
6. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
7. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
8. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
9. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
10. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chelm Elders present a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What is this philosophy, and how does this different idealism affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)