|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after their wedding does Yenta have a baby?
2. What does Yenta's signature look like?
3. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
4. What does Shlemiel think woke him up?
5. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
2. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
3. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
4. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
5. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
6. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
7. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
8. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
9. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
10. What helps David get back to his house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
These stories place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plots. Why might Singer have chosen these particular places for the stories to take place?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)