|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wakes Shlemiel from his nap?
2. How does the rooster get out of the house?
3. Why did David's father go to the village?
4. How did David find his way home?
5. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
2. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
3. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
4. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
5. What happens as David returns to his house?
6. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
7. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
8. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
9. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
10. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Interesting advice is given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what are the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security are two themes in these stories. In which short stories are these more evident? Which characters are the most motivated by them?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)