|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
2. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
3. Where does Lemel put his second gift from Shlemel?
4. What is Lemel's occupation?
5. How does the rooster get out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
2. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
3. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
4. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
5. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
6. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
7. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
8. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
9. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
10. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)