|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
2. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
4. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
5. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
2. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
3. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
4. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
5. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
6. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
7. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
8. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
9. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
10. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aaron endures many different trials before the end of his story. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
These stories place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plots. Why might Singer have chosen these particular places for the stories to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)