|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
2. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
3. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
4. What surprises Lemel about the Elders after he has a baby?
5. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
2. What helps David get back to his house?
3. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
4. What do the Elders tell Shmelkicha to do about her daughters' mixed up feet?
5. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
6. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
7. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
8. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
9. How does the rooster get out of the house?
10. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interesting advice is given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what are the consequences of it?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)