|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel mean?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
3. What does David do before releasing the devil?
4. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
5. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
2. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one day?
3. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
4. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
5. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
6. How does Lemel lose the silver gulden given to him by Shmelka?
7. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
8. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
9. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
10. How long has David's father been missing, and why did he leave in the first place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security are two themes in these stories. In which short stories are these more evident? Which characters are the most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)