|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shmelkicha told to avoid the same problem with her girls in the bed?
2. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
3. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
4. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
5. How much of the Hanukkah treat does Shlemiel eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as David returns to his house?
2. What surprising questions does an Elder ask after Lemel and Yenta have a baby?
3. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
4. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
5. How does the rooster get out of the house?
6. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
7. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
8. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
9. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
10. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is at the market?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hannukuh and Judaism are central to the plots of every story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages presented in them?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is experienced a number of times in these stories by different characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)