|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
2. What does the devil do when he is released?
3. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
4. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
5. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
2. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
3. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
4. What helps David get back to his house?
5. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
6. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one day?
7. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
8. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
9. What happens as David returns to his house?
10. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Hannukuh and Judaism are central to the plots of every story. How does this religious center affect the plot of the stories and the messages presented in them?
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)