|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel mean?
2. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
3. What part of the devil gets caught in the door?
4. How does David think his father got lost?
5. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
2. What do the Elders suggest when they hear of Lemel's misfortune with all of his gifts?
3. What is the last gift that Yenta gives Lemel, and what does Lemel do with it?
4. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
5. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
6. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
7. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one day?
8. What does David demand of the devil when his tail is caught in the door?
9. Why does Shlemiel not drink water from the well after eating the jam?
10. What lie does Mrs. Shlemiel tell her husband, and how does she justify herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Foolishness is a common folly highlighted in this collection of stories. What are some of the main examples of this, and what message is being sent by this blatant foolishness?
Essay Topic 3
Interesting advice is given and received in these stories. What are some examples of this advice, and what are the consequences of it?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)