|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David tell the devil to do when he is caught in the door?
2. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
3. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
4. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
5. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does Mrs. Shlemiel ask of her husband before she leaves for the market?
2. What wakes Shlemiel up while his wife is away, and what does he do?
3. What does David do before releasing the devil's tail from his door?
4. How does the story "The Devil's Trick" begin?
5. What is the first gift given to Lemel by Yenta, and what does he do with it?
6. What do the Elders say when they hear about what happened at Shlemiel's house?
7. How does a jar of chicken fat rip and stain Lemel's coat?
8. What does David decide to do when both of her parents are missing?
9. How does David feel while he is out in the storm?
10. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the marketplace, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity is a major theme in this book as many different lifestyles and ranks in society are involved. How is this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it is so important?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)