|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David use to hurt the devil before releasing him?
(a) A wooden spear.
(b) A crucifix.
(c) The Hanukkah candle.
(d) A penknife.
2. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) In his purse.
(c) In the hay.
(d) Under his bed.
3. What does Shlemiel think woke him up?
(a) The rooster.
(b) The crying baby.
(c) A bell.
(d) A large crash.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
(a) Watch the baby.
(b) Don't eat the poison.
(c) Fold the laundry.
(d) Keep the rooster in the house.
5. What does David tell the devil to do when he is caught in the door?
(a) Tell him where his father is.
(b) Warm his house.
(c) Stop the storm.
(d) Return his parents.
6. What does Lemel's signature look like?
(a) Three hearts.
(b) Three crosses.
(c) Three circles.
(d) Three dashes.
7. What wakes Shlemiel from his nap?
(a) A bell.
(b) The rooster.
(c) The crying baby.
(d) A large crash.
8. What is the first gift Shlemel gives Lemel?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A jar of chicken fat.
(c) A penknife.
(d) A silver gulden.
9. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
(a) Having another child.
(b) Being rich.
(c) Marrying another woman.
10. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(b) Covers them with a blanket.
(c) Calls for her husband.
(d) Cuts their hair.
11. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
(a) Lemel promises to grow a few inches before the wedding.
(b) Lemel will no longer be a stranger if they are betrothed.
(c) She is reminded of the single bed in her parent's house.
(d) She is told of Lemel's hidden wealth.
12. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
(a) He is poor.
(b) He calls her the wrong name.
(c) He is shorter than she is.
(d) He is a stranger.
13. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A butter churn.
(b) A bag of flour.
(c) A stalk of wheat.
(d) A goldfish.
14. How does David think his father got lost?
(a) The snow obscured his vision.
(b) He could not see the signs.
(c) He took the wrong road.
(d) He followed the wrong wagon.
15. How many children does Shlemiel have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
2. What did David light before leaving the house to look for his father?
3. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
4. How did David find his way home?
5. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)