|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
(a) Don't eat the poison.
(b) Keep the rooster in the house.
(c) Watch the baby.
(d) Fold the laundry.
2. What does Shlemiel dream he is when he falls asleep after eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) A king.
(b) A rich man.
(c) A prince.
(d) A jester.
3. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
(a) His bad luck.
(b) The travels on the road.
(c) His eagerness to wed.
(d) Poor instructions.
4. What kind of house does David live in?
(a) A mansion.
(b) A hut.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A cabin.
5. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
(a) The Elders.
(d) Her sister.
6. What does Shlemiel say he would rather do than hear his wife's scolding?
7. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
(a) Pumpkin pie.
(b) Roast beef.
(d) Cinnamon rolls.
8. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
(a) West Chelm.
(b) Northwest Chelm.
(c) East Chelm.
(d) Chelm Proper.
9. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
(a) A demon.
(b) A siren.
(c) A goblin.
(d) A witch.
10. What does Shlemiel mean?
11. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
(a) She is told of Lemel's hidden wealth.
(b) Lemel promises to grow a few inches before the wedding.
(c) Lemel will no longer be a stranger if they are betrothed.
(d) She is reminded of the single bed in her parent's house.
12. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Elders.
(c) Her neighbors.
(d) The rabbi.
13. How does David think his father got lost?
(a) The snow obscured his vision.
(b) He could not see the signs.
(c) He followed the wrong wagon.
(d) He took the wrong road.
14. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He is happy to be alive.
(b) He is sorry he hurt her.
(c) He really wanted to die.
(d) He made her mad.
15. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
(b) Marrying another woman.
(c) Having another child.
(d) Being rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
2. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
3. Where is the devil walking in the snow?
4. What does David use to hurt the devil before releasing him?
5. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)