|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
(a) A coat.
(d) Old scarves.
2. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do when she hears her husband ate the Hanukkah treat?
(b) Throws something at her husband.
3. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
(a) A siren.
(b) A demon.
(c) A witch.
(d) A goblin.
4. What does Shlemiel say he would rather do than hear his wife's scolding?
5. How does David think his father got lost?
(a) The snow obscured his vision.
(b) He took the wrong road.
(c) He followed the wrong wagon.
(d) He could not see the signs.
6. Who was the first person to go looking for David's father?
(a) David's brother.
(b) David's uncle.
(d) David's mother.
7. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His wife.
8. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
(a) Maurice Sendak.
(b) Markus Sardrink.
(c) Matthew Sardank.
(d) Matthias Sardek.
9. What surprises Lemel about the Elders after he has a baby?
(a) They cannot discern the sex of his child.
(b) They show their foolish nature.
(c) They wear mourning clothes to the baby's birth.
(d) They do not remember his name.
10. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
(a) A jar of jam.
(b) Fresh eggs.
(c) A bag of fish.
(d) Some butter.
11. What does Shlemiel dream he is when he falls asleep after eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) A king.
(b) A prince.
(c) A rich man.
(d) A jester.
12. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
(c) Pulls down the curtains.
13. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
(a) They do not see the sun.
(b) Their feet are tangled.
(c) They are too tired.
(d) Their hair is all mixed up.
14. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
(a) Travel with him.
(b) End their engagement.
(c) Marry him quickly.
(d) Write out instructions for him.
15. How many children does Shlemiel have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
2. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
3. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
4. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
5. What does David do when the devil tries to get into his house?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)