|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
(a) His wife yelling.
(b) The baby crying.
(c) A knock on the door.
(d) A bell.
2. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A goldfish.
(b) A butter churn.
(c) A bag of flour.
(d) A stalk of wheat.
3. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He breaks a toe.
(b) He cuts his hand.
(c) He bumps his head.
(d) He scratches his face.
4. Where was David's father?
(a) Captured by the devil.
(b) In the church.
(c) On a boat.
(d) In a cave.
5. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
6. What is Lemel's occupation?
7. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
(c) Pulls down the curtains.
8. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
(a) Their feet are tangled.
(b) They are too tired.
(c) Their hair is all mixed up.
(d) They do not see the sun.
9. Why did David's father go to the village?
(a) To go to church.
(b) To sell some firewood.
(c) To visit his mother.
(d) To get some supplies.
10. What surprises Lemel about the Elders after he has a baby?
(a) They show their foolish nature.
(b) They wear mourning clothes to the baby's birth.
(c) They do not remember his name.
(d) They cannot discern the sex of his child.
11. What does David do before releasing the devil?
(a) Cure his hoof.
(b) Brands his hide.
(c) Burns his tail.
(d) Files down his claw.
12. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
(a) Lemel promises to grow a few inches before the wedding.
(b) She is told of Lemel's hidden wealth.
(c) Lemel will no longer be a stranger if they are betrothed.
(d) She is reminded of the single bed in her parent's house.
13. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
(a) 9 days.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 3 days.
14. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do to keep Shlemiel from eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) Tells him it is for Hanukkah.
(b) Hides it.
(c) Tells him it is vegetable paste.
(d) Says it is poison.
15. What does Mrs. Shlemiel make for Hanukkah?
(a) Sweet bread.
(b) Caramel scones.
(c) Chocolate muffins.
(d) A jar of jam.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
2. How does the rooster get out of the house?
3. What wakes Shlemiel from his nap?
4. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
5. Who was the first person to go looking for David's father?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)