|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He really wanted to die.
(b) He is happy to be alive.
(c) He is sorry he hurt her.
(d) He made her mad.
2. How does David think his father got lost?
(a) The snow obscured his vision.
(b) He took the wrong road.
(c) He could not see the signs.
(d) He followed the wrong wagon.
3. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
(a) Wives should not lie.
(b) Husbands should not be lazy.
(c) Husbands should stay with their wives.
(d) Babies should stay with their mothers.
4. What does David use to hurt the devil before releasing him?
(a) A crucifix.
(b) A wooden spear.
(c) A penknife.
(d) The Hanukkah candle.
5. What does David do before releasing the devil?
(a) Burns his tail.
(b) Cure his hoof.
(c) Files down his claw.
(d) Brands his hide.
6. How does Shlemiel get the baby back to sleep after he is hurt?
(a) Sings to him.
(b) Lets him watch the clouds.
(c) Rocks him gently.
(d) Makes him a bottle.
7. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
(a) Matthias Sardek.
(b) Maurice Sendak.
(c) Markus Sardrink.
(d) Matthew Sardank.
8. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Covers them with a blanket.
(b) Cuts their hair.
(c) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(d) Calls for her husband.
9. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
(a) He is shorter than she is.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He is a stranger.
(d) He calls her the wrong name.
10. How long after their wedding does Yenta have a baby?
(a) Four years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
11. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
(a) Pumpkin pie.
(b) Roast beef.
(d) Cinnamon rolls.
12. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
(a) Lemel will no longer be a stranger if they are betrothed.
(b) Lemel promises to grow a few inches before the wedding.
(c) She is reminded of the single bed in her parent's house.
(d) She is told of Lemel's hidden wealth.
13. How many children does Shlemiel have?
14. What night of Hanukkah does this story start out on?
(a) The First.
(b) The Third.
(c) The Fourth.
(d) The Second.
15. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
(a) His wife.
(b) His servant.
(c) His brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
2. Why did David's father go to the village?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
4. What does David's father do when he is brought home?
5. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)