|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the devil walking in the snow?
(a) The city street.
(b) The riverbank.
(c) The forest.
(d) The countryside.
2. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
(a) His wife yelling.
(b) A bell.
(c) A knock on the door.
(d) The baby crying.
3. What is Lemel's occupation?
4. What does David tell the devil to do when he is caught in the door?
(a) Return his parents.
(b) Tell him where his father is.
(c) Warm his house.
(d) Stop the storm.
5. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
(a) Being rich.
(c) Marrying another woman.
(d) Having another child.
6. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A stalk of wheat.
(b) A bag of flour.
(c) A butter churn.
(d) A goldfish.
7. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
(b) Her sister.
(d) The Elders.
8. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
(a) Under his bed.
(b) In his purse.
(c) In the hay.
(d) In his pocket.
9. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
(d) Pulls down the curtains.
10. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
(a) 3 days ago.
(b) 9 days ago.
(c) 12 days ago.
(d) 6 days ago.
11. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mistress.
12. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
(a) A siren.
(b) A witch.
(c) A demon.
(d) A goblin.
13. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
(a) Call the priest.
(b) Cut the devil's tail off.
(c) Sprinkle holy water on his hoof.
(d) Say another prayer.
14. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
(a) Their feet are tangled.
(b) Their hair is all mixed up.
(c) They do not see the sun.
(d) They are too tired.
15. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
(a) It was covered with a cloth.
(b) It was attacked by a dog.
(c) It ate the eggs.
(d) It suffocated under his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel think woke him up?
2. What kind of house does David live in?
3. What night of Hanukkah does this story start out on?
4. How many children does Shlemiel have?
5. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)