|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
(a) Wives should not lie.
(b) Husbands should not be lazy.
(c) Babies should stay with their mothers.
(d) Husbands should stay with their wives.
2. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
(a) His eagerness to wed.
(b) Poor instructions.
(c) The travels on the road.
(d) His bad luck.
3. How does the rooster get out of the house?
(a) It digs a hole.
(b) It scratches open the door.
(c) It sneaks out when Shlemiel opens the door.
(d) It flies out the window.
4. What kind of house does David live in?
(a) A hut.
(b) A cottage.
(c) A mansion.
(d) A cabin.
5. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
(a) End their engagement.
(b) Write out instructions for him.
(c) Marry him quickly.
(d) Travel with him.
6. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A goldfish.
(b) A bag of flour.
(c) A butter churn.
(d) A stalk of wheat.
7. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
(a) In his pocket.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In his purse.
(d) In the hay.
8. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 9 days.
(d) 3 days.
9. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Cuts their hair.
(b) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(c) Covers them with a blanket.
(d) Calls for her husband.
10. Why is Lemel unable to sign the marriage contract at first?
(a) He does not love Yenta.
(b) He has no pen.
(c) He cannot write.
(d) He cannot read.
11. Where does Lemel put his second gift from Shlemel?
(a) In his coat pocket.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In the hay.
(d) In a purse.
12. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
(a) The rabbi.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The Elders.
(d) Her neighbors.
13. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He is happy to be alive.
(b) He made her mad.
(c) He is sorry he hurt her.
(d) He really wanted to die.
14. Where was David's father?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In the church.
(c) Captured by the devil.
(d) On a boat.
15. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
(a) A demon.
(b) A witch.
(c) A siren.
(d) A goblin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yenta's signature look like?
2. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
3. What part of the devil gets caught in the door?
4. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
5. What does Shlemiel drink after eating the Hanukkah treat?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)