|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The Elders.
(c) Her neighbors.
(d) The rabbi.
2. What did David light before leaving the house to look for his father?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) The lantern.
(c) The Hanukkah candle.
(d) The lamps.
3. How much of the Hanukkah treat does Shlemiel eat?
(a) All of it.
(b) A quarter of it.
(c) A few bites.
(d) Half of it.
4. How does David think his father got lost?
(a) He followed the wrong wagon.
(b) He took the wrong road.
(c) He could not see the signs.
(d) The snow obscured his vision.
5. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
(a) He calls her the wrong name.
(b) He is poor.
(c) He is shorter than she is.
(d) He is a stranger.
6. What does David do when the devil tries to get into his house?
(a) Slams his door.
(b) Sings a hymn.
(c) Reads from the Bible.
(d) Says a prayer.
7. Who does the devil send to do what David asked of him?
(a) His brother.
(c) His servant.
(d) His wife.
8. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(b) Calls for her husband.
(c) Cuts their hair.
(d) Covers them with a blanket.
9. What part of the devil gets caught in the door?
(a) His hoof.
(b) His claw.
(c) His horn.
(d) His tail.
10. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
(a) Their hair is all mixed up.
(b) They do not see the sun.
(c) Their feet are tangled.
(d) They are too tired.
11. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
(a) Feed them some broth.
(b) Cut their hair.
(c) Hit them with a stick.
(d) Tickle their feet.
12. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
(a) Lemel promises to grow a few inches before the wedding.
(b) Lemel will no longer be a stranger if they are betrothed.
(c) She is reminded of the single bed in her parent's house.
(d) She is told of Lemel's hidden wealth.
13. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
14. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
(a) A demon.
(b) A siren.
(c) A goblin.
(d) A witch.
15. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He cuts his hand.
(b) He bumps his head.
(c) He breaks a toe.
(d) He scratches his face.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
2. Who was the first person to go looking for David's father?
3. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
5. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)