|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did David light before leaving the house to look for his father?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) The lantern.
(c) The Hanukkah candle.
(d) The lamps.
2. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
(a) In his purse.
(b) In the hay.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) Under his bed.
3. What does Lemel's signature look like?
(a) Three circles.
(b) Three dashes.
(c) Three crosses.
(d) Three hearts.
4. What does Shlemiel mean?
5. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
(a) 12 days ago.
(b) 6 days ago.
(c) 3 days ago.
(d) 9 days ago.
6. What does David do before releasing the devil?
(a) Burns his tail.
(b) Brands his hide.
(c) Files down his claw.
(d) Cure his hoof.
7. Where is the devil walking in the snow?
(a) The countryside.
(b) The riverbank.
(c) The forest.
(d) The city street.
8. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He wants to commit suicide.
(b) He thinks he can make some more.
(c) He plans to eat only a little bit.
(d) He finds the hiding spot.
9. What does Shlemiel drink after eating the Hanukkah treat?
(c) Apple cider.
10. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
(a) Maurice Sendak.
(b) Markus Sardrink.
(c) Matthias Sardek.
(d) Matthew Sardank.
11. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
(a) It was attacked by a dog.
(b) It ate the eggs.
(c) It suffocated under his bed.
(d) It was covered with a cloth.
12. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He bumps his head.
(b) He scratches his face.
(c) He breaks a toe.
(d) He cuts his hand.
13. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do when she hears her husband ate the Hanukkah treat?
(c) Throws something at her husband.
14. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
15. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mistress.
(c) His wife.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who convinces Yenta to sign the marriage contract?
2. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
3. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
4. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)