|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did David light before leaving the house to look for his father?
(a) The Hanukkah candle.
(b) The lamps.
(c) The lantern.
(d) The fireplace.
2. How many children does Shlemiel have?
3. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
(a) West Chelm.
(b) Northwest Chelm.
(c) Chelm Proper.
(d) East Chelm.
4. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He is sorry he hurt her.
(b) He really wanted to die.
(c) He made her mad.
(d) He is happy to be alive.
5. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He scratches his face.
(b) He cuts his hand.
(c) He bumps his head.
(d) He breaks a toe.
6. What does Shlemiel drink after eating the Hanukkah treat?
(c) Apple cider.
7. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
(a) She is told of Lemel's hidden wealth.
(b) Lemel will no longer be a stranger if they are betrothed.
(c) She is reminded of the single bed in her parent's house.
(d) Lemel promises to grow a few inches before the wedding.
8. What wakes Shlemiel from his nap?
(a) The crying baby.
(b) The rooster.
(c) A bell.
(d) A large crash.
9. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mistress.
10. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
(a) A cage.
(b) A pond.
(c) In the dirt.
(d) A pile of hay.
11. What does David do before releasing the devil?
(a) Brands his hide.
(b) Cure his hoof.
(c) Files down his claw.
(d) Burns his tail.
12. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
(a) Cut their hair.
(b) Tickle their feet.
(c) Hit them with a stick.
(d) Feed them some broth.
13. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
(a) Cut the devil's tail off.
(b) Say another prayer.
(c) Call the priest.
(d) Sprinkle holy water on his hoof.
14. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He wants to commit suicide.
(b) He finds the hiding spot.
(c) He thinks he can make some more.
(d) He plans to eat only a little bit.
15. What does the devil do when he is released?
(a) Screams and yells.
(b) Thanks David.
(d) Runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
2. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
3. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
4. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
5. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)