|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
(a) It was attacked by a dog.
(b) It suffocated under his bed.
(c) It was covered with a cloth.
(d) It ate the eggs.
2. What is Shmelkicha told to do about her daughters in bed?
(a) Tickle their feet.
(b) Cut their hair.
(c) Hit them with a stick.
(d) Feed them some broth.
3. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
(a) A pond.
(b) In the dirt.
(c) A pile of hay.
(d) A cage.
4. How many children does Shlemiel have?
5. What wakes Shlemiel from his nap?
(a) The crying baby.
(b) A bell.
(c) The rooster.
(d) A large crash.
6. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do to keep Shlemiel from eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Says it is poison.
(c) Tells him it is for Hanukkah.
(d) Tells him it is vegetable paste.
7. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
(a) Husbands should not be lazy.
(b) Wives should not lie.
(c) Babies should stay with their mothers.
(d) Husbands should stay with their wives.
8. What does Lemel's signature look like?
(a) Three crosses.
(b) Three dashes.
(c) Three hearts.
(d) Three circles.
9. What does Shlemiel mean?
10. How long after their wedding does Yenta have a baby?
(a) One year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Three years.
11. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
(b) Pulls down the curtains.
12. Where was David's father?
(a) On a boat.
(b) Captured by the devil.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In the church.
13. What does Mrs. Shlemiel make for Hanukkah?
(a) Caramel scones.
(b) Sweet bread.
(c) Chocolate muffins.
(d) A jar of jam.
14. What is the first gift Shlemel gives Lemel?
(a) A penknife.
(b) A jar of chicken fat.
(c) A silver gulden.
(d) A Bible.
15. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
2. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
3. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
4. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
5. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)