|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does David tell the devil to do when he is caught in the door?
(a) Stop the storm.
(b) Return his parents.
(c) Tell him where his father is.
(d) Warm his house.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
(a) Watch the baby.
(b) Fold the laundry.
(c) Keep the rooster in the house.
(d) Don't eat the poison.
3. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
(a) 12 days ago.
(b) 3 days ago.
(c) 6 days ago.
(d) 9 days ago.
4. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
(a) A demon.
(b) A siren.
(c) A goblin.
(d) A witch.
5. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mistress.
6. How many children does Shlemiel have?
7. What night of Hanukkah does this story start out on?
(a) The Second.
(b) The First.
(c) The Fourth.
(d) The Third.
8. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
(a) End their engagement.
(b) Marry him quickly.
(c) Travel with him.
(d) Write out instructions for him.
9. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
(a) 9 days.
(b) 6 days.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 3 days.
10. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
(a) In the hay.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In his pocket.
(d) In his purse.
11. What part of the devil gets caught in the door?
(a) His tail.
(b) His hoof.
(c) His horn.
(d) His claw.
12. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
(a) Chelm Proper.
(b) East Chelm.
(c) Northwest Chelm.
(d) West Chelm.
13. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A stalk of wheat.
(b) A bag of flour.
(c) A goldfish.
(d) A butter churn.
14. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do to keep Shlemiel from eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) Tells him it is for Hanukkah.
(b) Tells him it is vegetable paste.
(c) Says it is poison.
(d) Hides it.
15. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
(a) Sprinkle holy water on his hoof.
(b) Say another prayer.
(c) Cut the devil's tail off.
(d) Call the priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel say he would rather do than hear his wife's scolding?
2. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
3. What did David light before leaving the house to look for his father?
4. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
5. How much of the Hanukkah treat does Shlemiel eat?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)