|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
(a) Husbands should stay with their wives.
(b) Wives should not lie.
(c) Babies should stay with their mothers.
(d) Husbands should not be lazy.
2. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
(a) Northwest Chelm.
(b) West Chelm.
(c) East Chelm.
(d) Chelm Proper.
3. What is Lemel's occupation?
4. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
(a) Sprinkle holy water on his hoof.
(b) Cut the devil's tail off.
(c) Say another prayer.
(d) Call the priest.
5. What is the first gift Shlemel gives Lemel?
(a) A silver gulden.
(b) A Bible.
(c) A penknife.
(d) A jar of chicken fat.
6. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
(a) A pond.
(b) A pile of hay.
(c) A cage.
(d) In the dirt.
7. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
(a) A witch.
(b) A goblin.
(c) A demon.
(d) A siren.
8. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He cuts his hand.
(b) He bumps his head.
(c) He breaks a toe.
(d) He scratches his face.
9. How did David find his way home?
(a) His compass.
(b) The North Star.
(c) The Hanukkah candle.
(d) The wind vane.
10. What does Yenta's signature look like?
(a) Three crosses.
(b) Three dashes.
(c) Three hearts.
(d) Three circles.
11. What kind of house does David live in?
(a) A cabin.
(b) A mansion.
(c) A hut.
(d) A cottage.
12. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He made her mad.
(b) He really wanted to die.
(c) He is happy to be alive.
(d) He is sorry he hurt her.
13. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
(b) Being rich.
(c) Marrying another woman.
(d) Having another child.
14. What night of Hanukkah does this story start out on?
(a) The Third.
(b) The First.
(c) The Second.
(d) The Fourth.
15. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A stalk of wheat.
(b) A bag of flour.
(c) A butter churn.
(d) A goldfish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the baby do while Shlemiel sleeps?
2. What does David do before releasing the devil?
3. What does Shlemiel drink after eating the Hanukkah treat?
4. How long after their wedding does Yenta have a baby?
5. How does Shlemiel get the baby back to sleep after he is hurt?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)