|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Shmelkicha told to avoid the same problem with her girls in the bed?
(a) Make them tie their hair up.
(b) Marry them off.
(c) Make them wear shoes.
(d) Get them separate beds.
2. What night of Hanukkah does this story start out on?
(a) The Second.
(b) The Fourth.
(c) The First.
(d) The Third.
3. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
(a) A cage.
(b) A pond.
(c) A pile of hay.
(d) In the dirt.
4. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
(a) In the hay.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) In his purse.
(d) Under his bed.
5. What is the first gift Shlemel gives Lemel?
(a) A Bible.
(b) A silver gulden.
(c) A penknife.
(d) A jar of chicken fat.
6. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
(a) 6 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 9 days.
7. What does the devil do when he is released?
(a) Screams and yells.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Thanks David.
8. How does the rooster get out of the house?
(a) It sneaks out when Shlemiel opens the door.
(b) It flies out the window.
(c) It scratches open the door.
(d) It digs a hole.
9. How many children does Shlemiel have?
10. What does David's father do when he is brought home?
(a) Kisses his wife.
(b) Runs inside.
(c) Slaps the devil.
(d) Apologizes to David.
11. Who is walking in the snow with the devil?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His wife.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
12. What does Mrs. Shlemiel make for Hanukkah?
(a) Caramel scones.
(b) A jar of jam.
(c) Sweet bread.
(d) Chocolate muffins.
13. How did David find his way home?
(a) The Hanukkah candle.
(b) The wind vane.
(c) His compass.
(d) The North Star.
14. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(b) Calls for her husband.
(c) Covers them with a blanket.
(d) Cuts their hair.
15. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He scratches his face.
(b) He breaks a toe.
(c) He cuts his hand.
(d) He bumps his head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
2. How much of the Hanukkah treat does Shlemiel eat?
3. What kind of creature is the devil's wife?
4. What did David light before leaving the house to look for his father?
5. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)