|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
(a) His wife yelling.
(b) The baby crying.
(c) A knock on the door.
(d) A bell.
2. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He made her mad.
(b) He is happy to be alive.
(c) He is sorry he hurt her.
(d) He really wanted to die.
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
(a) Don't eat the poison.
(b) Watch the baby.
(c) Fold the laundry.
(d) Keep the rooster in the house.
4. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
5. What does David do when the devil tries to get into his house?
(a) Slams his door.
(b) Reads from the Bible.
(c) Sings a hymn.
(d) Says a prayer.
6. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A butter churn.
(b) A bag of flour.
(c) A goldfish.
(d) A stalk of wheat.
7. What is Lemel's occupation?
8. What did David light before leaving the house to look for his father?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) The Hanukkah candle.
(c) The lantern.
(d) The lamps.
9. How does Shlemiel get the baby back to sleep after he is hurt?
(a) Makes him a bottle.
(b) Rocks him gently.
(c) Sings to him.
(d) Lets him watch the clouds.
10. What does David tell the devil to do when he is caught in the door?
(a) Stop the storm.
(b) Warm his house.
(c) Tell him where his father is.
(d) Return his parents.
11. Where does the Silly Bridegroom live?
(a) West Chelm.
(b) East Chelm.
(c) Chelm Proper.
(d) Northwest Chelm.
12. What kind of house does David live in?
(a) A hut.
(b) A mansion.
(c) A cottage.
(d) A cabin.
13. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He wants to commit suicide.
(b) He plans to eat only a little bit.
(c) He finds the hiding spot.
(d) He thinks he can make some more.
14. Where does Lemel put his last gift from Yenta?
(a) A pond.
(b) In the dirt.
(c) A pile of hay.
(d) A cage.
15. Where does Lemel put his first gift from Yenta?
(a) In his purse.
(b) Under his bed.
(c) In the hay.
(d) In his pocket.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shlemiel say he would rather do than hear his wife's scolding?
2. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
3. What do the Elders decide after hearing about Shlemiel's actions?
4. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
5. What does David's father do when he is brought home?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)