|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do to keep Shlemiel from eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) Tells him it is for Hanukkah.
(b) Tells him it is vegetable paste.
(c) Says it is poison.
(d) Hides it.
2. How many children does Shlemiel have?
3. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He plans to eat only a little bit.
(b) He thinks he can make some more.
(c) He finds the hiding spot.
(d) He wants to commit suicide.
4. Who brings Mrs. Shlemiel another Hanukkah treat?
(a) The Elders.
(b) Her neighbors.
(c) The rabbi.
(d) Her mother.
5. What does David threaten to do if the devil does not do what David asks?
(a) Call the priest.
(b) Say another prayer.
(c) Cut the devil's tail off.
(d) Sprinkle holy water on his hoof.
6. What surprises Lemel about the Elders after he has a baby?
(a) They show their foolish nature.
(b) They wear mourning clothes to the baby's birth.
(c) They cannot discern the sex of his child.
(d) They do not remember his name.
7. What does David do when the devil tries to get into his house?
(a) Sings a hymn.
(b) Reads from the Bible.
(c) Slams his door.
(d) Says a prayer.
8. Why does Shlemiel cry when his wife finds out he ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He made her mad.
(b) He really wanted to die.
(c) He is happy to be alive.
(d) He is sorry he hurt her.
9. What does David do before releasing the devil?
(a) Burns his tail.
(b) Cure his hoof.
(c) Brands his hide.
(d) Files down his claw.
10. Why do Shmelka's daughters refuse to get out of bed one morning?
(a) They are too tired.
(b) They do not see the sun.
(c) Their feet are tangled.
(d) Their hair is all mixed up.
11. Where was David's father?
(a) Captured by the devil.
(b) On a boat.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In the church.
12. What does the devil do when he is released?
(b) Thanks David.
(c) Screams and yells.
(d) Runs away.
13. Why does Yenta not want to marry Lemel?
(a) He is poor.
(b) He is shorter than she is.
(c) He is a stranger.
(d) He calls her the wrong name.
14. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
(a) His bad luck.
(b) His eagerness to wed.
(c) Poor instructions.
(d) The travels on the road.
15. What does Lemel's signature look like?
(a) Three dashes.
(b) Three hearts.
(c) Three crosses.
(d) Three circles.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did David's father go to the village?
2. What does David's father do when he is brought home?
3. How did David find his way home?
4. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do when she hears her husband ate the Hanukkah treat?
5. Why does Yenta agree to sign the marriage contract?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)