|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many daughters does Shmelka have?
2. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
(a) Write out instructions for him.
(b) Travel with him.
(c) Marry him quickly.
(d) End their engagement.
3. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do when she hears her husband ate the Hanukkah treat?
(a) Throws something at her husband.
4. How many children does Shlemiel have?
5. What does the devil do when he is released?
(b) Runs away.
(c) Thanks David.
(d) Screams and yells.
6. Why does Shlemiel decide to eat the Hanukkah treat?
(a) He finds the hiding spot.
(b) He wants to commit suicide.
(c) He plans to eat only a little bit.
(d) He thinks he can make some more.
7. What does Shmelkicha do when she sees why her daughters won't get out of bed?
(a) Call for the Elders of Chelm.
(b) Calls for her husband.
(c) Cuts their hair.
(d) Covers them with a blanket.
8. What does Shlemiel dream he is when he falls asleep after eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) A jester.
(b) A king.
(c) A prince.
(d) A rich man.
9. What does Mrs. Shlemiel do to keep Shlemiel from eating the Hanukkah treat?
(a) Says it is poison.
(b) Hides it.
(c) Tells him it is vegetable paste.
(d) Tells him it is for Hanukkah.
10. What does Shlemiel say he would rather do than hear his wife's scolding?
11. Which of the following is NOT one of the things Mrs. Shlemiel tells her husband to do while she is gone?
(a) Don't eat the poison.
(b) Watch the baby.
(c) Keep the rooster in the house.
(d) Fold the laundry.
12. What is the last gift Yenta gives Lemel?
(a) A butter churn.
(b) A goldfish.
(c) A stalk of wheat.
(d) A bag of flour.
13. How does Shlemiel get the baby back to sleep after he is hurt?
(a) Sings to him.
(b) Rocks him gently.
(c) Makes him a bottle.
(d) Lets him watch the clouds.
14. What does Mrs. Shlemiel sell in the market?
15. What do the Elders say caused the misfortune with all the gifts to Lemel?
(a) His bad luck.
(b) Poor instructions.
(c) The travels on the road.
(d) His eagerness to wed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shlemiel make for Hanukkah?
2. What does David use to hurt the devil before releasing him?
3. How long has the snowstorm by David's house lasted?
4. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
5. What do Shlemiel and his wife eat in his dream?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)