|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did David find his way home?
(a) The wind vane.
(b) The Hanukkah candle.
(c) His compass.
(d) The North Star.
2. Why did David's father go to the village?
(a) To get some supplies.
(b) To go to church.
(c) To visit his mother.
(d) To sell some firewood.
3. Where does Lemel put his second gift from Shlemel?
(a) Under his bed.
(b) In the hay.
(c) In a purse.
(d) In his coat pocket.
4. What do the Elders tell Yenta to do to avoid more misfortunes with gifts to Lemel?
(a) Write out instructions for him.
(b) Marry him quickly.
(c) Travel with him.
(d) End their engagement.
5. What surprises Lemel about the Elders after he has a baby?
(a) They show their foolish nature.
(b) They do not remember his name.
(c) They wear mourning clothes to the baby's birth.
(d) They cannot discern the sex of his child.
6. What does Shlemiel think woke him up?
(a) A large crash.
(b) The rooster.
(c) The crying baby.
(d) A bell.
7. What gift does Yenta give Lemel?
(a) A bag of fish.
(b) Fresh eggs.
(c) A jar of jam.
(d) Some butter.
8. What is Shmelkicha told to avoid the same problem with her girls in the bed?
(a) Get them separate beds.
(b) Make them wear shoes.
(c) Make them tie their hair up.
(d) Marry them off.
9. What does David wrap his sister in to keep her warm?
(b) Old scarves.
(d) A coat.
10. What does Shlemiel dream about while his wife is gone?
(b) Having another child.
(c) Marrying another woman.
(d) Being rich.
11. What wakes up Shlemiel after he eats the Hanukkah treat?
(a) A knock on the door.
(b) The baby crying.
(c) His wife yelling.
(d) A bell.
12. What part of the devil gets caught in the door?
(a) His horn.
(b) His claw.
(c) His hoof.
(d) His tail.
13. What does David's father do when he is brought home?
(a) Runs inside.
(b) Kisses his wife.
(c) Slaps the devil.
(d) Apologizes to David.
14. What is the name of the illustrator of the picture of the devil?
(a) Maurice Sendak.
(b) Matthew Sardank.
(c) Markus Sardrink.
(d) Matthias Sardek.
15. How is the baby injured after the rooster gets out of the house?
(a) He cuts his hand.
(b) He scratches his face.
(c) He bumps his head.
(d) He breaks a toe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after their wedding does Yenta have a baby?
2. What does David tell the devil to do when he is caught in the door?
3. What does Shlemiel dream he is when he falls asleep after eating the Hanukkah treat?
4. How does Lemel kill the duck Yenta gave him?
5. Why is Lemel unable to sign the marriage contract at first?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)