|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandmother promise her grandchildren the next night?
(a) Some apple cider.
(b) A new dreidel.
(c) More time to play jacks.
(d) Another story.
2. What does Gronam want to do with the snow in Chelm?
(a) Divide it up among the citizens.
(b) Hide it from the villagers.
(c) Save it for the people.
(d) Use it to pay debts.
3. What does strange man do when the children realize who he is?
(a) Cast off his image of a man.
(b) Filled the house with a bright light.
(c) Laughed heartily.
(d) Called in his minions.
4. What does Atzel do when he returns from the false paradise?
(c) Goes to church.
(d) Eats some mush and bread.
5. What color are Atzel's eyes?
6. What is the coat made of that belonged to the strange man in Grandmother's tale?
(a) Fox fur.
(b) Bear hide.
(c) Wolf fur.
7. Who has the idea to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
8. What was done with the barrel that supposedly held the moon?
(a) It was emptied.
(b) It was smashed.
(c) It was nailed shut.
(d) It was locked away.
9. During what holiday does Grandmother's story take?
(d) All Hallows Eve.
10. Who were the leaders in Chelm?
(a) The priests.
(b) The sheriff and his deputies.
(c) The Elders.
(d) The police.
11. What does Tudras want to buy with the money from the snow?
(a) Some chests to hold the snow.
(b) Another harvest of snow.
(c) A goose with golden eggs.
(d) A season's worth of seed.
12. How many children does the father in "Grandmother's Tale" have?
13. What does Grandmother's tale end with?
(a) A declaration.
(b) A rhyme.
(c) A scripture.
(d) An old saying.
14. What does Gronam think the snow is?
15. What animals appear as the strange man spins around in the house?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men formed the leaders of Chelm?
2. How long does the strange man in Grandmother's tale ask to stay at the house?
3. How do the leaders decide to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
4. What does the older man hang from the walls in the room that is made to look like paradise?
5. What does Atzel think he has to do to get to paradise?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)