|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people in Chelm like to do?
(b) Hold dances.
(c) Sing songs.
(d) Take walks.
2. What does Atzel notice about the food in paradise?
(a) It is always the same.
(b) It tastes different from food on earth.
(c) It is far too much to eat.
(d) It makes him sleepy.
3. What do the children request of Grandmother before they go to bed?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A story.
(c) A hug.
(d) A few minutes more to play.
4. How does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" say he got lost?
(a) He lost his way in the storm.
(b) He followed a large deer off his trail.
(c) He took the wrong fork in the road.
(d) He lost his map.
5. How do the leaders decide to tell the people of Chelm to stay in their houses?
(a) Post a warning on the doors.
(b) Shout it from the rooftops.
(c) Send a message.
(d) Mail letters.
6. How were the leaders of Chelm chosen?
(a) They are the greatest fools.
(b) They are the least foolish.
(c) They are the most educated.
(d) They are the most spiritual.
7. What vanishes with the strange man?
(a) The squirrels.
(b) The dreidel and coins.
(c) The children.
(d) The house.
8. What color are the orphan girl's eyes?
9. What is Shmerel's title?
10. What is Chelm full of?
11. What game are Grandmother's grandchildren playing at the beginning of this story?
(c) Hide and Seek.
12. What does Atzel do when he returns from the false paradise?
(a) Goes to church.
(b) Eats some mush and bread.
13. Who was called when the moon was not found in the barrel later in the day?
(a) The head fool.
(b) The police.
(c) The Elders.
(d) The doctor.
14. Why did someone in Chelm think the moon fell in a barrel?
(a) Someone told them.
(b) They saw the reflection in the water.
(c) They could not see the moon.
(d) They saw the moon go down behind the barrel.
15. What is the first thing Atzel asks for when he wakes up in the paradise room?
(a) A fire.
(c) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Atzel think people in paradise never do?
2. What color are Atzel's eyes?
3. How does the strange man in "Grandmother's Tale" entertain the children in the house?
4. What do the doctors pronounce Atzel to be when he wants to go to paradise?
5. What is Lekisch's title?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)