|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling did the Smokejumpers share with all other youth their age?
(a) The feeling that their lives would be long.
(b) The feeling that they could be successful firefighters.
(c) The feeling that education was important.
(d) The feeling that they were immortal.
2. What did thinking about the struggle for oxygen that the Smokejumpers' experienced remind the author of?
(a) The birth experience.
(b) The importance of fire safety.
(c) The death of his wife.
(d) The death of Hellman.
3. What did Maclean and the others agree was the second key point on the hillside they needed to locate?
(a) The spot where Diettert left Rumsey and Sallee.
(b) The spot where Henry Thol, Jr. fell.
(c) The spot where Dodge had started his fire.
(d) The spot where the fire blew up.
4. What were the emotions governing the Mann Gulch tragedy since it was first analyzed?
(a) Fear and disgust.
(b) Fear and longing.
(c) Fear and pity.
(d) Fear and anger.
5. Why did Laird Robinson stop smokejumping?
(a) He injured himself in a car accident.
(b) He injured himself while hiking.
(c) He injured himself while working in Missoula.
(d) He injured himself landing on a fire.
6. What did Maclean call the "North Star that guides all arguments?"
(a) The crevice in the ridge.
(b) The location of Dodge's fire.
(c) The top of the ridge.
(d) Hellman's cross.
7. What was the name of the doctor who went in with the rescue crew the night of the fire?
(a) Dr. Thomas.
(b) Dr. Hawkins.
(c) Dr. Williams.
(d) Dr. Jansson.
8. What date did Maclean, Robinson, Sallee, and Rumsey agree to meet and visit Mann Gulch?
(a) June 8, 1976.
(b) June 3, 1978.
(c) July 1, 1978.
(d) July 4, 1976.
9. What words are in the Common Book of Prayer that beg to not die of sudden death?
(a) "Good Lord, help us."
(b) "Good Lord, watch over us."
(c) "Good Lord, be my shepherd."
(d) "Good Lord, deliver us."
10. How did Maclean compare the death of his wife and the death of the Smokejumpers?
(a) Loneliness and pain in the last breath.
(b) Pain and sadness gasping for air.
(c) Peace in knowing Heaven was next.
(d) Courage stuggling for oxygen.
11. What common portrayal of death did Maclean believe did not occur for the Smokejumpers?
(a) To see the people waiting for them in Heaven.
(b) To see the future.
(c) To see the people they love.
(d) To see their whole lives in review.
12. Who was the first man to crawl through the crevice at the reef during their escape from the fire?
13. When did Maclean begin his research on the Mann Gulch fire?
14. What well-known magazine had a lead article entitled "Smokejumpers Suffer Ordeal by Fire?"
(a) National Geographic.
15. What time did Dodge's watch say when he rose from the ashes of his own fire?
(a) Fifteen minutes after seven.
(b) Ten minutes after six.
(c) Nine forty-five.
(d) Seven fifteen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Maclean and his party land their boat to begin their trip to Mann Gulch?
2. What began to happen at Mann Gulch forty years later?
3. How did Rumsey verify that the tin can of potatoes the men found near Hellman's marker was the same one left there after the fire?
4. What were the two nonhuman elements Maclean said were left after sight and fear were gone?
5. How did Maclean compare the fire at the top of the ridge to a snake?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)