|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski ogle in "Concrete"?
2. Chinaski claims to say nothing to cops and what other type of person?
3. Chinaski describes Paris as a lovely city full of _______________.
4. What is the name of Chinaski's other friend in "Song'?
5. What conclusion does Chinaski reach in "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
2. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
3. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
4. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
5. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
6. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
7. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
8. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
9. What is the message of "Trying to Make It"?
10. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bukowski's overall view of the world. Why does he see the world as mostly negative? What things are positive in the world, according to Bukowski? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Chinaski enjoy solitude so much? Does he genuinely enjoy solitude, or is he being disingenuous?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)