|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of one of Chinaski's friends in "Practice"?
2. Chinaski mentions that the lottery funds _____________.
3. "Love Poem to a Stripper" is dedicated to a woman that Chinaski saw in which year?
4. In "Marching Through Georgia," which of the following does Chinaski use to describe the world?
5. Where is Chinaski in "Longshot"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poem "Invasion."
2. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
3. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
4. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
5. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
6. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
7. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
8. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
9. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
10. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)