|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Blade," where does Chinaski work?
2. In "Me and My Buddy," what does Chinaski do with his poem?
3. Which of the following is most evident in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
4. What is Li Po's occupation?
5. What point is made in "Trying to Make It"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
2. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
3. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
4. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
5. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
6. Describe the poem "Invasion."
7. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
8. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
9. What is the message of "Trying to Make It"?
10. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An allegory is a literary device used to show that a part represents a whole. Describe the use of allegory in at least one of Bukowski's poems. Then explain why the use of allegory is effective or ineffective.
Essay Topic 2
Assess the theme of destruction in this collection of poems. What types of things are destroyed? What types of things are preserved? What does this say about Bukowski?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Chinaski's domestic life. Is domestic life portrayed as positive or negative? Is Chinaski's opinion of domestic life genuine? Why or why not?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)