|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the editor in "The Beautiful Lady Editor" help the poor?
2. What happens to all good poetry at the end of "Me and My Buddy"?
3. In which poem does Bukowski ruminate on his inconsistent fame?
4. In which of the following poems does Chinaski not focus on the hidden horrors of life?
5. How many cats does Chinaski claim to own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
2. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
3. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
4. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
5. Describe the poem "Invasion."
6. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
7. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
8. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
9. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
10. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chinaski enjoy solitude so much? Does he genuinely enjoy solitude, or is he being disingenuous?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Chinaski lack trust for humanity? What message do you think Bukowski sends in giving Chinaski this distrust?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)