|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following poems does Chinaski not focus on the hidden horrors of life?
2. In "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual," Chinaski smells like ____________.
3. What is the name of Chinaski's other friend in "Song'?
4. In "Concrete," who invites Chinaski to his house?
5. In "The Shrinking Island," what does Chinaski give up on since he is drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
2. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
3. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
4. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
5. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
6. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
7. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
8. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
9. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
10. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Chinaski's father play in the poems? What effect does he have on Chinaski and why? Can you see ways in which he has influenced Chinaski?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the portrayal of madness in Bukowski's work. Is madness portrayed as a negative trait? Why or why not?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)