|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Not Listed," Chinaski runs into an ex-jockey named ___________.
2. Chinaski tells the story of a jockey from which state in "Trying to Make It"?
3. What animal does Chinaski watch with a friend in "Concrete"?
4. Chinaski believes that the hopes and joys of life are inevitably lost due to _________.
5. Chinaski declares that he is not worried about which of the following in "Someday I'm Going to Write a Primer . . ."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
2. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
3. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
4. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
5. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
6. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
7. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
8. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
9. What is the message of "Trying to Make It"?
10. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Chinaski lack trust for humanity? What message do you think Bukowski sends in giving Chinaski this distrust?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the theme of destruction in this collection of poems. What types of things are destroyed? What types of things are preserved? What does this say about Bukowski?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)