|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
2. What happens to Chinaski in "Everybody Talks Too Much"?
3. In "About the PEN Conference," the author states that a writer without his typewriter is just a _________.
4. In "You Get So Alone At Times . . ." how many pounds does Chinaski recall losing in order to get published?
5. In "The Boil," for whom does Chinaski work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
2. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
3. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
4. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
5. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
6. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
7. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
8. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
9. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
10. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Bukowski's overall view of the world. Why does he see the world as mostly negative? What things are positive in the world, according to Bukowski? Why?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)