|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski concludes that he owes his life to whom?
2. How many cats does Chinaski claim to own?
3. Where does Chinaski imagine himself in "Me and My Buddy"?
4. Where does the pretty girl live in "Late Late Late Poem"?
5. What happens to all good poetry at the end of "Me and My Buddy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
2. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
3. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
4. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
5. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
6. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
7. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
8. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
9. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
10. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Chinaski lack trust for humanity? What message do you think Bukowski sends in giving Chinaski this distrust?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role that the themes of loss and fear play in Bukowski's poetry. Explain the two poems that seem to focus the most on fear and loss. Explain why you think this theme prevails in these poems.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)