|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "My Buddy" take place?
2. What is the name of one of Chinaski's friends in "Practice"?
3. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski recall doing?
4. What happens to all good poetry at the end of "Me and My Buddy"?
5. In "You Get So Alone At Times . . ." how many pounds does Chinaski recall losing in order to get published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
2. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
3. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
4. Describe the poem "Invasion."
5. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
6. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
7. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
8. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
9. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
10. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role that the themes of loss and fear play in Bukowski's poetry. Explain the two poems that seem to focus the most on fear and loss. Explain why you think this theme prevails in these poems.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)