|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Shrinking Island," Chinaski's wife tells him not to step on_________.
2. Chinaski consoles himself that many men become which of the following over time?
3. Which of the following has happened to Chinaski in "Longshot"?
4. At the end of "Someday I'm Going to Write a Primer . . ." Chinaski declares his love to whom?
5. Which of the following is the name of one of the women in "Those Girls We Followed Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conclusion Chinaski arrives at in "Wearing the Collar" and "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat."
2. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
3. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
4. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
5. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
6. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
7. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
8. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
9. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
10. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Chinaski's domestic life. Is domestic life portrayed as positive or negative? Is Chinaski's opinion of domestic life genuine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
Essay Topic 3
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)