|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Love Poem to a Stripper" is dedicated to a woman that Chinaski saw in which year?
2. What happens to Chinaski in "Everybody Talks Too Much"?
3. In "Their Night," Chinaski connects his distaste for the Lost Generation to __________.
4. What happens to all good poetry at the end of "Me and My Buddy"?
5. What happens to Chinaski as he gets thinner in "You Get So Alone At Times . . ."?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
2. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
3. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
4. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
5. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
6. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
7. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
8. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
9. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
10. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 3
Make an argument for or against Bukowski being misogynistic. Use at least three specific pieces of evidence from the text.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)