|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman that "Love Poem to a Stripper" is dedicated to?
2. Which poem is considered the strangest in the collection?
3. Chinaski claims to say nothing to cops and what other type of person?
4. In "Fractional Note," what is described as getting worse?
5. How many cats does Chinaski claim to own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
2. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
3. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
4. Describe the poem "Invasion."
5. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
6. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
7. How does Chinaski focus on the hidden horrors of life?
8. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
9. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
10. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Bukowski respond to his critics? When he responds to critics, is he genuine? Is he fair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)