|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What point is made in "Trying to Make It"?
2. What building is destroyed in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
3. Chinaski describes the food in Paris as being which of the following?
4. In "Me and My Buddy," what does Chinaski do with his poem?
5. What conclusion does Chinaski reach in "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
2. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
3. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
4. What is the message of "Trying to Make It"?
5. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
6. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
7. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
8. Describe the poem "Invasion."
9. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
10. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the poem "Invasion"? What does the lion in the poem symbolize? What is the message of this poem, and how do you know?
Essay Topic 2
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Assess Bukowski's argument that there are no certainties or essential truths in the world. Support or refute this claim using examples from the text.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)