|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski was told that the odds of a patient surviving a hospital for the poor are ______________.
2. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
3. Where does the editor in "The Beautiful Lady Editor" help the poor?
4. Who is Philip Lamantia?
5. Chinaski claims that the best one can hope for is which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
2. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
3. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
4. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
5. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
6. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
7. Is Bukowski seixst? Why or why not?
8. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
9. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
10. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Chinaski's father play in the poems? What effect does he have on Chinaski and why? Can you see ways in which he has influenced Chinaski?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Bukowski's overall view of the world. Why does he see the world as mostly negative? What things are positive in the world, according to Bukowski? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski respond to his critics? When he responds to critics, is he genuine? Is he fair? Why or why not?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)