|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chinaski likes the editor in one of the poems even though she is which of the following?
2. What is Li Po's occupation?
3. What is the name of the second girl in "Those Girls We Followed Home"?
4. What is one of Chinaski's friends named in "Song"?
5. In "The Boil," for whom does Chinaski work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
2. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
3. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
4. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
5. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
6. Describe the poem "Invasion."
7. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
8. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
9. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
10. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
Essay Topic 2
An allegory is a literary device used to show that a part represents a whole. Describe the use of allegory in at least one of Bukowski's poems. Then explain why the use of allegory is effective or ineffective.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)