|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Philip Lamantia?
2. In "Gay Paree" what does Chinaski describe?
3. In "From an Old Dog in his Cups," what relationship is explored?
4. Chinaski declares that he is not worried about which of the following in "Someday I'm Going to Write a Primer . . ."?
5. Chinaski believes that the hopes and joys of life are inevitably lost due to _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
2. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
3. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
4. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
5. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
6. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
7. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
8. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
9. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
10. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze one metaphor that Chinaski has created in one of his poems to relate to modern American culture and interactions.
Essay Topic 2
What unifying statement does Bukowski use in his work? Why do you think it is significant to have a unifying statement? Is it a genuine statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
An allegory is a literary device used to show that a part represents a whole. Describe the use of allegory in at least one of Bukowski's poems. Then explain why the use of allegory is effective or ineffective.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)