|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Marching Through Georgia," which of the following does Chinaski use to describe the world?
2. What building is destroyed in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
3. In "The Beautiful Lady Editor," who writes to Chinaski telling him he deserves to be miserable?
4. Chinaski believes that the hopes and joys of life are inevitably lost due to _________.
5. Which of the following is most evident in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
2. What is the message of "Trying to Make It"?
3. Describe Chinaski's self-esteem.
4. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
5. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
6. How does Chinaski focus on the hidden horrors of life?
7. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
8. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
9. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
10. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Bukowski's overall view of the world. Why does he see the world as mostly negative? What things are positive in the world, according to Bukowski? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Chinaski's domestic life. Is domestic life portrayed as positive or negative? Is Chinaski's opinion of domestic life genuine? Why or why not?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)