|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski drink with in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
2. Where does Chinaski imagine himself in "Me and My Buddy"?
3. Which of the following has happened to Chinaski in "Longshot"?
4. In "You Get So Alone At Times . . ." how many pounds does Chinaski recall losing in order to get published?
5. What is the name of one of Chinaski's friends in "Practice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the title "Practice" clever?
2. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
3. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
4. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
5. How does Chinaski focus on the hidden horrors of life?
6. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
7. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
8. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
9. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
10. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the portrayal of madness in Bukowski's work. Is madness portrayed as a negative trait? Why or why not?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)