|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman that "Love Poem to a Stripper" is dedicated to?
2. In "Wearing the Collar," which animal does Chinaski talk about?
3. Whom does Chinaski ogle in "Concrete"?
4. What animal does Chinaski watch with a friend in "Concrete"?
5. How many cats does Chinaski claim to own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
2. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
3. Describe the theme of solitude present in "Party's Over," "No Nonsense," and "Escape."
4. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
5. What allegory is present in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
6. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
7. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
8. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
9. What does the lion in "Invasion" represent?
10. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the portrayal of madness in Bukowski's work. Is madness portrayed as a negative trait? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Assess Bukowski's argument that there are no certainties or essential truths in the world. Support or refute this claim using examples from the text.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)