|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the woman in "The Lady in the Castle"?
2. Chinaski likes the editor in one of the poems even though she is which of the following?
3. Why does Chinaski think that many women go to bed with him in "Working"?
4. How does Chinaski think every older person wants to die?
5. Chinaski describes Paris as a lovely city full of _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does Chinaski focus on domestic life in some of the poems?
2. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
3. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
4. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
5. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
6. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
7. How does Bukowski use gallows humor and vaudeville in his poems?
8. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
9. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
10. Describe Chinaski's thought process in "Everybody Talks Too Much."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the theme of destruction in this collection of poems. What types of things are destroyed? What types of things are preserved? What does this say about Bukowski?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Chinaski enjoy solitude so much? Does he genuinely enjoy solitude, or is he being disingenuous?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)