|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski meet in "A Tragic Meeting"?
2. During which event does "It's Funny, Isn't It? #1" take place?
3. Chinaski tells the story of a jockey from which state in "Trying to Make It"?
4. In "Seize the Day," what makes the grotesque man popular?
5. In "A Following," Chinaski gets a call from __________.
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the poem "Invasion"? What does the lion in the poem symbolize? What is the message of this poem, and how do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the theme of destruction in this collection of poems. What types of things are destroyed? What types of things are preserved? What does this say about Bukowski?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Chinaski's father play in the poems? What effect does he have on Chinaski and why? Can you see ways in which he has influenced Chinaski?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)