|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
2. Chinaski claims to say nothing to cops and what other type of person?
3. What animal does Chinaski watch with a friend in "Concrete"?
4. Chinaski declares that he is not worried about which of the following in "Someday I'm Going to Write a Primer . . ."?
5. Which of the following is the name of one of the women in "Those Girls We Followed Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events in the poem "The Boil."
2. What common theme runs through the poems "Practice," "My Buddy," John Edgar Webb," and "Love Poem to a Stripper"?
3. What metaphor is used in the poem "Seize the Day"?
4. Describe the poem "The Lady in the Castle."
5. Describe the argument that Bukowski makes in "Fractional Note."
6. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
7. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
8. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
9. Describe the feelings Bukowski portrays in "Party's Over."
10. How does Bukowski build a sense of foreboding in "Invasion"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
Essay Topic 2
How does Chinaski defend a listless and lazy lifestyle? In addition, explain how Chinaski laments the lie of the American dream and why he does this.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Chinaski's connection of populism to his distaste for the Lost Generation. In what other ways does Chinaski exhibit populism?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)