|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to all good poetry at the end of "Me and My Buddy"?
2. In "Sticks and Stones . . ." Chinaski responds to whom?
3. What building is destroyed in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
4. Chinaski claims to say nothing to cops and what other type of person?
5. In "Marching Through Georgia," which of the following does Chinaski use to describe the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the themes evident in the poems Bukowski has written? Identify at least three of these themes and provide specific examples from the text showing how the theme is created.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the poem "Invasion"? What does the lion in the poem symbolize? What is the message of this poem, and how do you know?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)