|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski recall doing?
2. Which of the following is the name of one of the women in "Those Girls We Followed Home"?
3. Where does Chinaski imagine himself in "Me and My Buddy"?
4. Whom does Chinaski meet in "A Tragic Meeting"?
5. Whom does Chinaski drink with in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the poem "Invasion."
2. How are "Hard Times" and "Concrete" juxtaposed?
3. How does Chinaski feel about the beautiful lady editor?
4. Why is "An Ordinary Poem" significant in terms of defining Chinaski?
5. In "Help Wanted," what does Chinaski fear?
6. Why does Chinaski think he has so many female critics?
7. What does Chinaski say about lost pleasure?
8. Describe Chinaski's feelings for the woman in "The Beautiful Lady Editor."
9. Describe Bukowski's portrayal of populism in his poems.
10. How does Chinaski focus on the hidden horrors of life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and give examples of Chinaski showing conceit toward age and youth.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the way in which Bukowski uses gallows humor, vaudeville, and irony in at least two of his poems. Find at least two specific examples from each of these two poems.
Essay Topic 3
How does Bukowski respond to his critics? When he responds to critics, is he genuine? Is he fair? Why or why not?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)