|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chinaski mentions that the lottery funds _____________.
(b) Public safety.
(d) Health care.
2. Which is Bukowski's essential argument in "Fractional Note"?
(a) The real world does not exist.
(b) There is no reason for faith.
(c) There are no certainties.
(d) Love does not exist.
3. In "Not Listed," Chinaski runs into an ex-jockey named ___________.
4. In "Sticks and Stones . . ." Chinaski responds to whom?
(a) Old critics.
(b) Male critics.
(c) Female critics.
(d) Young critics.
5. Where is Chinaski in "Longshot"?
(b) Dentist office.
(c) Business office.
6. Why does Chinaski think that many women go to bed with him in "Working"?
(a) He is nice.
(b) He is smart.
(c) He doesn't know.
(d) He is attractive.
7. In which poem does Bukowski ruminate on his inconsistent fame?
(a) "Their Night."
(b) "Relentless as a Tarantula."
(d) "Only For a Minute."
8. In "You Get So Alone At Times . . ." how many pounds does Chinaski recall losing in order to get published?
9. Which poem is considered the strangest in the collection?
(b) "Hard Times."
10. Chinaski was told that the odds of a patient surviving a hospital for the poor are ______________.
(a) One hundred to one.
(b) Fifty to one.
(c) Ten to one.
(d) Two to one.
11. In "The Boil," for whom does Chinaski work?
(a) Proctor & Gamble.
(b) Random House.
12. What happens to Chinaski in "Everybody Talks Too Much"?
(a) He gets into a fight.
(b) He files for divorce.
(c) He meets a woman at the bar.
(d) He is pulled over by a cop.
13. Which of the following is most evident in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
(a) Gallows humor.
14. What is "An Ordinary Poem" about?
(a) Things he does not like.
(b) Things he has felt anger toward.
(c) A war.
(d) Things he cares about.
15. What happens to Chinaski as he gets thinner in "You Get So Alone At Times . . ."?
(a) He stops writing.
(b) He finds himself less attractive.
(c) He becomes more interested in drinking.
(d) He becomes angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following has happened to Chinaski in "Longshot"?
2. Who is Philip Lamantia?
3. In "Gay Paree" what does Chinaski describe?
4. What building is destroyed in "The Death of a Splendid Neighborhood"?
5. In "The Blade," where does Chinaski work?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)