|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conclusion does Chinaski reach in "A Cat is a Cat is a Cat is a Cat"?
(a) He prefers cats to people.
(b) He hates people.
(c) He prefers dogs to cats.
(d) He hates animals.
2. Which poem is considered the strangest in the collection?
(b) "Hard Times."
3. Chinaski concludes that he owes his life to whom?
4. Which of the following has happened to Chinaski in "Longshot"?
(a) He is losing a lot of blood.
(b) He is fighting.
(c) He is working.
(d) He is cleaning.
5. Which of the following describes the woman in "The Lady in the Castle"?
(a) She has long hair.
(b) She has a large nose.
(c) She has big eyes.
(d) She has big feet.
6. Whom does Chinaski meet in "A Tragic Meeting"?
7. Chinaski consoles himself that many men become which of the following over time?
8. What is the name of Chinaski's second friend in "Practice"?
9. In "The Beautiful Lady Editor," who writes to Chinaski telling him he deserves to be miserable?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) The editor.
(d) His ex-wife.
10. Where does Chinaski get out of his car in "Hard Times"?
(a) The docks.
(b) The diner.
(c) The bar.
(d) The grocery store.
11. In "Not Listed," Chinaski runs into an ex-jockey named ___________.
12. Chinaski claims that the best one can hope for is which of the following?
(a) A love life.
(b) Ten free minutes.
(c) A friend.
(d) A pet.
13. In "Sticks and Stones . . ." Chinaski responds to whom?
(a) Female critics.
(b) Old critics.
(c) Young critics.
(d) Male critics.
14. In "Fractional Note," what is happening to hope?
(a) It is diminished.
(b) It is lost forever.
(c) It is abundant.
(d) It is unappealing.
15. In "Hot," Bukowski claims that there is which of the following in everything around him?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Wearing the Collar," which animal does Chinaski talk about?
2. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
3. Who is Philip Lamantia?
4. In "Hard Times," how many familiar men does Chinaski run into?
5. In "Me and My Buddy," what does Chinaski do with his poem?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)