|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point is made in "Trying to Make It"?
(a) It is hard to find love.
(b) It is hard to make it big.
(c) It is hard to be hopeful.
(d) It is hard to be demanding.
2. What is one of Chinaski's friends named in "Song"?
3. What bug makes an appearance in "A Tragic Meeting"?
(a) Boll weevil.
4. Chinaski declares that he is not worried about which of the following in "Someday I'm Going to Write a Primer . . ."?
(b) A war.
(d) A bomb.
5. At the end of "Someday I'm Going to Write a Primer . . ." Chinaski declares his love to whom?
(a) His fears.
(b) His wife.
(d) The reader.
6. In "The Shrinking Island," Chinaski's wife tells him not to step on_________.
(a) The cat.
(b) The rug.
(c) A creaky floor.
(d) A spill.
7. In "The Shrinking Island," what does Chinaski give up on since he is drunk?
8. In "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual," Chinaski smells like ____________.
(a) French bread.
9. In which poem does Bukowski ruminate on his inconsistent fame?
(a) "Their Night."
(c) "Relentless as a Tarantula."
(d) "Only For a Minute."
10. In "Let 'Em Go," Chinaski says he is tired of __________.
(c) Dating a woman.
11. Chinaski concludes that he owes his life to whom?
12. In "About the PEN Conference," the author states that a writer without his typewriter is just a _________.
13. Chinaski was told that the odds of a patient surviving a hospital for the poor are ______________.
(a) Fifty to one.
(b) Ten to one.
(c) One hundred to one.
(d) Two to one.
14. How does Chinaski think every older person wants to die?
(b) Due to dementia.
(c) By a heart attack.
(d) In his sleep.
15. Chinaski says that Mexican girls in "Longshot" are often doing which of the following?
(a) Tending to bedding.
(b) Doing paperwork.
(c) Sweeping and mopping.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Concrete," who invites Chinaski to his house?
2. Which of the following describes the woman in "The Lady in the Castle"?
3. Where is Chinaski in "Not Listed"?
4. Chinaski tells the story of a jockey from which state in "Trying to Make It"?
5. Which poem is considered the strangest in the collection?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)