|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the editor in "The Beautiful Lady Editor" help the poor?
(a) South America.
2. Which of the following is most evident in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
(a) Gallows humor.
3. Chinaski claims to say nothing to cops and what other type of person?
(a) Angry women.
(b) Cowardly men.
(c) Failed writers.
4. In "Fractional Note," what is happening to hope?
(a) It is diminished.
(b) It is unappealing.
(c) It is lost forever.
(d) It is abundant.
5. In "Concrete," who invites Chinaski to his house?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A poet.
(c) A painter.
(d) A hairstylist.
6. What animal does Chinaski watch with a friend in "Concrete"?
7. Chinaski tells the story of a jockey from which state in "Trying to Make It"?
(c) New York.
8. Whom does Chinaski meet in "A Tragic Meeting"?
9. What is the name of Chinaski's other friend in "Song'?
10. What is the name of the woman that "Love Poem to a Stripper" is dedicated to?
(a) Rose Mary.
11. What is "An Ordinary Poem" about?
(a) A war.
(b) Things he has felt anger toward.
(c) Things he cares about.
(d) Things he does not like.
12. Who is Philip Lamantia?
(a) An actor.
(b) A model.
(c) A poet.
(d) A writer.
13. Which poem is considered the strangest in the collection?
(d) "Hard Times."
14. In "About the PEN Conference," the author states that a writer without his typewriter is just a _________.
15. In which of the following poems does Chinaski not focus on the hidden horrors of life?
(a) "The Blade."
(b) "Not Listed."
(c) "The Boil."
(d) "The Lady in the Castle."
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Chinaski drink with in "I Thought the Stuff Tasted Worse than Usual"?
2. In which poem does Bukowski ruminate on his inconsistent fame?
3. Chinaski describes Paris as a lovely city full of _______________.
4. In "Over Done," why does Chinaski not enjoy the company of his old acquaintance?
5. Chinaski claims that the best one can hope for is which of the following?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)