|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the editor in "The Beautiful Lady Editor" help the poor?
(c) South America.
2. Where is Chinaski in "Not Listed"?
3. What happens to Chinaski in "Everybody Talks Too Much"?
(a) He is pulled over by a cop.
(b) He files for divorce.
(c) He meets a woman at the bar.
(d) He gets into a fight.
4. Whom does Chinaski meet in "A Tragic Meeting"?
5. Whom does Chinaski ogle in "Concrete"?
(a) The man's mother.
(b) The man's daughter.
(c) The man's sister.
(d) The man's wife.
6. Chinaski consoles himself that many men become which of the following over time?
7. In "Hot," Bukowski claims that there is which of the following in everything around him?
8. Which is Bukowski's essential argument in "Fractional Note"?
(a) There is no reason for faith.
(b) There are no certainties.
(c) The real world does not exist.
(d) Love does not exist.
9. Chinaski describes Paris as a lovely city full of _______________.
(d) Intelligent people.
10. Chinaski declares that he is not worried about which of the following in "Someday I'm Going to Write a Primer . . ."?
(b) A bomb.
(d) A war.
11. In "Sticks and Stones . . ." Chinaski responds to whom?
(a) Young critics.
(b) Female critics.
(c) Old critics.
(d) Male critics.
12. What is "An Ordinary Poem" about?
(a) Things he cares about.
(b) Things he does not like.
(c) A war.
(d) Things he has felt anger toward.
13. In which of the following poems does Chinaski not focus on the hidden horrors of life?
(a) "The Lady in the Castle."
(b) "Not Listed."
(c) "The Boil."
(d) "The Blade."
14. In "Let 'Em Go," Chinaski says he is tired of __________.
(a) Dating a woman.
15. Chinaski was told that the odds of a patient surviving a hospital for the poor are ______________.
(a) One hundred to one.
(b) Fifty to one.
(c) Two to one.
(d) Ten to one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of one of Chinaski's friends in "Practice"?
2. In "Hard Times," Chinaski sees the men who ___________.
3. In "Seize the Day," what makes the grotesque man popular?
4. In "Fractional Note," what is described as getting worse?
5. In "Hard Times," how many familiar men does Chinaski run into?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)