|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the store owner think of Andrew's playing?
2. What does Yolanda's mother ask about Yolanda and her school?
3. Where is the concert being held?
4. Why does Yolanda have to pull off her scheme without her momma's help?
5. Where is Yolanda's family going for a visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to anyone when her family is leaving to go visit Aunt Tiny?
2. How does Yolanda feel after Shirley leaves and what does she say to her aunt Tiny about Shirley?
3. Why does Yolanda send Shirley away in a cruel manner?
4. What does Yolanda do when she sees the bullies in Asphalt Hill?
5. What "epiphany" does Yolanda have when she is at the park?
6. Who admires Yolanda standing up to Romulus, and what is Yolanda's response to his admiration?
7. What does Yolanda do when she sees two female security guards?
8. What does Aunt Tiny do for a living, and how does that help Yolanda's family?
9. What disturbs Yolanda about how Aunt Tiny fixes Yolanda's mother's hair?
10. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Yolonda's Genius". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of human genius in "Yolonda's Genius". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? What do you think Yolanda would label as genius?
3. Trace and analyze the themes of bullying and prejudice in "Yolonda's Genius". Who are bullies? Who stands up to bullies? Who does not? Why do those who bully do so? Who is prejudice? What type of prejudice? What do you think is the result of Yolanda's prejudice? Who is able to change from being a bully? From prejudice?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Yolonda's Genius" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1, and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Yolonda's Genius" a successful novel? What about teens?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Yolonda's Genius"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in this story, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Yolonda's Genius" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)