Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to Shirley?
2. Who does Yolanda think would have to be the one to discover Andrew?
3. How does Yolanda feel as she is waiting at the concert that night?
4. What does Andrew play for the store owner?
5. How does Yolanda feel about Aunt Tiny's proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Yolanda is eleven throughout much of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Yolanda seems like an average eleven year old? Give examples and why you say her activities are average teen activities.
2. What are some ways that Yolanda seems older than her age of 11? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Yolanda as she is developed throughout the book.
3. Do you think most eleven year old girls would look out for their six-year-old brother in the ways Yolanda does? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Do any of the characters seem unnecessary? Which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Do you think "Yolonda's Genius" ends on a happy note? Why or why not.
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Yolonda's Genius" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why this book is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)