|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yolanda do as the crowd gets rowdy?
2. What is Yolanda looking for before the concert begins?
3. What does Aunt Tiny want to do for Yolanda?
4. How does Yolanda try to make up her rudeness to Shirley?
5. What does Yolanda do at Grant Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Momma say in reply to Yolanda saying Andrew is a genius and needs a special school?
2. How does Yolanda explain all her questions to the security guards?
3. What happens when Yolanda notices three men eying her momma?
4. Describe Yolanda's family's first night with Aunt Tiny.
5. What happens when Momma finally notices Andrew's new harmonica?
6. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
7. Who admires Yolanda standing up to Romulus, and what is Yolanda's response to his admiration?
8. Why does Yolanda volunteer to reserve her family's seats for the concert that evening?
9. What does Aunt Tiny do for a living, and how does that help Yolanda's family?
10. What does Yolanda do when she sees the bullies in Asphalt Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Yolonda's Genius", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Yolonda's Genius". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Yolonda's Genius". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of human genius in "Yolonda's Genius". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? What do you think Yolanda would label as genius?
3. Trace and analyze the themes of bullying and prejudice in "Yolonda's Genius". Who are bullies? Who stands up to bullies? Who does not? Why do those who bully do so? Who is prejudice? What type of prejudice? What do you think is the result of Yolanda's prejudice? Who is able to change from being a bully? From prejudice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Do any of the characters seem unnecessary? Which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)