|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shirley have with her when she visits Yolanda?
2. How does Yolanda feel about her current teacher?
3. Who does Yolanda decide is the only person who can help Andrew?
4. What does Andrew play for the store owner?
5. What does Yolanda reply when Aunt Tiny asks if Shirley is a friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yolanda's family's first night with Aunt Tiny.
2. Why does Yolanda send Shirley away in a cruel manner?
3. What disturbs Yolanda about how Aunt Tiny fixes Yolanda's mother's hair?
4. What does Yolanda do when she sees two female security guards?
5. What does Yolanda do when she sees the bullies in Asphalt Hill?
6. What happens when Yolanda and Andrew visit Stellers music store?
7. Describe the exchange between Yolanda and Shirley in school concerning the jump rope.
8. What does Aunt Tiny do for a living, and how does that help Yolanda's family?
9. Why doesn't there seem to be any way back stage?
10. Why does Yolanda volunteer to reserve her family's seats for the concert that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Yolonda's Genius". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of human genius in "Yolonda's Genius". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? What do you think Yolanda would label as genius?
3. Trace and analyze the themes of bullying and prejudice in "Yolonda's Genius". Who are bullies? Who stands up to bullies? Who does not? Why do those who bully do so? Who is prejudice? What type of prejudice? What do you think is the result of Yolanda's prejudice? Who is able to change from being a bully? From prejudice?
Essay Topic 2
Understanding the setting, both the place and time, helps the reader to enjoy a novel. Discuss the following:
1. Research Chicago and Grand River, Michigan in the early 21st century, and write an informative essay about the social and geographical aspects.
2. Research the way drug pushers lure children to use drugs and write an informative essay about the situation and offer one or more solutions.
3. Compare/contrast the life of Yolanda in Chicago, IL and then Grand River, MI to your life when you were eleven.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Yolonda's Genius" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1, and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Yolonda's Genius" a successful novel? What about teens?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)