Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to Shirley?
2. Who does Yolanda think would have to be the one to discover Andrew?
3. How does Yolanda feel as she is waiting at the concert that night?
4. What does Andrew play for the store owner?
5. How does Yolanda feel about Aunt Tiny's proposal?
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Yolonda's Genius" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Carol Fenner.
2. What in Carol Fenner's background may have helped her in writing "Yolonda's Genius"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Yolonda's Genius is? Explain your response.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)