Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to Shirley?
2. Who does Yolanda think would have to be the one to discover Andrew?
3. How does Yolanda feel as she is waiting at the concert that night?
4. What does Andrew play for the store owner?
5. How does Yolanda feel about Aunt Tiny's proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Yolanda is eleven throughout much of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Yolanda seems like an average eleven year old? Give examples and why you say her activities are average teen activities.
2. What are some ways that Yolanda seems older than her age of 11? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Yolanda as she is developed throughout the book.
3. Do you think most eleven year old girls would look out for their six-year-old brother in the ways Yolanda does? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Yolonda's Genius"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in this story, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Yolonda's Genius" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Yolonda's Genius"--questions that Fenner may wish readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Fenner's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Fenner's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)