|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to Shirley?
2. Who does Yolanda think would have to be the one to discover Andrew?
3. How does Yolanda feel as she is waiting at the concert that night?
4. What does Andrew play for the store owner?
5. How does Yolanda feel about Aunt Tiny's proposal?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Yolonda's Genius".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Yolonda's Genius". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Yolonda's Genius". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Yolonda's Genius" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "Yolonda's Genius"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Yolonda's Genius" to discuss, and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
"Yolonda's Genius" belongs to the teen fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the teen fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen fiction and teen historical fiction?
This section contains 2,310 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)