|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there security guards around the stage area?
2. What does Yolanda do for the first time in months?
3. Where is the concert being held?
4. What does Yolanda's mother ask about Yolanda and her school?
5. How is Vic helping Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yolanda unable to listen as the concert opens?
2. How does Yolanda feel after Shirley leaves and what does she say to her aunt Tiny about Shirley?
3. What does Momma say in reply to Yolanda saying Andrew is a genius and needs a special school?
4. What "epiphany" does Yolanda have when she is at the park?
5. What happens when Momma finally notices Andrew's new harmonica?
6. What happens when Yolanda notices three men eying her momma?
7. What happens when Yolanda and Andrew visit Stellers music store?
8. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to anyone when her family is leaving to go visit Aunt Tiny?
9. Describe Yolanda's family's first night with Aunt Tiny.
10. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Do any of the characters seem unnecessary? Which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Yolonda's Genius"--questions that Fenner may wish readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Fenner's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Fenner's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Yolonda's Genius". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of human genius in "Yolonda's Genius". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why? What do you think Yolanda would label as genius?
3. Trace and analyze the themes of bullying and prejudice in "Yolonda's Genius". Who are bullies? Who stands up to bullies? Who does not? Why do those who bully do so? Who is prejudice? What type of prejudice? What do you think is the result of Yolanda's prejudice? Who is able to change from being a bully? From prejudice?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)