|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma look confused?
2. What does Yolanda reply when Aunt Tiny asks if Shirley is a friend?
3. What does Yolanda do for the first time in months?
4. What happens when the crowd gets loud?
5. What does Yolanda do at Grant Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't there seem to be any way back stage?
2. Why does Yolanda send Shirley away in a cruel manner?
3. What does Momma say in reply to Yolanda saying Andrew is a genius and needs a special school?
4. How is Andrew responding to the new harmonica and what does Yolanda think will help him?
5. What happens when Momma finally notices Andrew's new harmonica?
6. How do Yolanda and Andrew play in their concert for Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma, and how do the two women respond to the performance?
7. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
8. What does Yolanda do when she sees the bullies in Asphalt Hill?
9. How does Yolanda feel after Shirley leaves and what does she say to her aunt Tiny about Shirley?
10. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to anyone when her family is leaving to go visit Aunt Tiny?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Yolonda's Genius" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Yolonda's Genius", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Yolonda's Genius". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Yolonda's Genius".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Yolonda's Genius". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Yolonda's Genius". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)