|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yolanda decide is the only person who can help Andrew?
2. What cause Yolanda to become furious?
3. How does Yolanda feel about her current teacher?
4. What does Yolanda manage to do?
5. What does Yolanda suggest she and Andrew do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
2. What does Yolanda do when she sees two female security guards?
3. What happens when Yolanda and Andrew visit Stellers music store?
4. How does Yolanda feel after Shirley leaves and what does she say to her aunt Tiny about Shirley?
5. Why doesn't there seem to be any way back stage?
6. How does Yolanda explain all her questions to the security guards?
7. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to anyone when her family is leaving to go visit Aunt Tiny?
8. What disturbs Yolanda about how Aunt Tiny fixes Yolanda's mother's hair?
9. What does Yolanda do when she sees the bullies in Asphalt Hill?
10. Why does Yolanda send Shirley away in a cruel manner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Yolonda's Genius is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Yolonda's Genius" is successful as a learning tool? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Carol Fenner's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "Yolonda's Genius" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Yolanda. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Andrew. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Shirley Piper. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)