|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Aunt Tiny going to visit?
2. Why does Yolanda have to pull off her scheme without her momma's help?
3. How does Yolanda's mother dress when they go out to dinner?
4. Why does Yolanda say Shirley cannot learn to double dutch?
5. What does Aunt Tiny want to do for Yolanda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
2. What happens when Yolanda notices three men eying her momma?
3. What "epiphany" does Yolanda have when she is at the park?
4. What happens when Yolanda and Andrew visit Stellers music store?
5. Why is Yolanda unable to listen as the concert opens?
6. Why doesn't there seem to be any way back stage?
7. What happens that gives Yolanda an idea about how to get back stage?
8. How do Yolanda and Andrew play in their concert for Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma, and how do the two women respond to the performance?
9. Describe the exchange between Yolanda and Shirley in school concerning the jump rope.
10. How does Yolanda explain all her questions to the security guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Yolonda's Genius"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in this story, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Yolonda's Genius" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Yolonda's Genius" is successful as a learning tool? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Carol Fenner's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols, then trace and analyze their appearance in "Yolonda's Genius". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Fenner chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "Yolonda's Genius". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Fenner chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Fenner's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Fenner use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)