|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shirley have with her when she visits Yolanda?
2. How does Shirley respond?
3. What does Yolanda tell her mother she wants to be?
4. What sort of questions does Yolanda ask at the park?
5. What does Stoney Buxton call out to Yolanda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Yolanda and Andrew play in their concert for Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma, and how do the two women respond to the performance?
2. How does Yolanda feel after Shirley leaves and what does she say to her aunt Tiny about Shirley?
3. What does Yolanda do when she sees two female security guards?
4. What "epiphany" does Yolanda have when she is at the park?
5. What happens when Momma finally notices Andrew's new harmonica?
6. What does Momma say in reply to Yolanda saying Andrew is a genius and needs a special school?
7. Who admires Yolanda standing up to Romulus, and what is Yolanda's response to his admiration?
8. Why is Yolanda unable to listen as the concert opens?
9. What happens when Yolanda notices three men eying her momma?
10. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes "Yolonda's Genius" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Yolanda. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Andrew. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Shirley Piper. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Yolonda's Genius", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement.) Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Yolonda's Genius". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Do any of the characters seem unnecessary? Which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)