|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew realize as he listens to his sister dancing?
2. What does Yolanda do for the first time in months?
3. How does Shirley respond?
4. What does Yolanda tell Shirley?
5. What does Yolanda realize as she is watching musicians unload their instruments?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Andrew responding to the new harmonica and what does Yolanda think will help him?
2. What happens that gives Yolanda an idea about how to get back stage?
3. What happens when Momma finally notices Andrew's new harmonica?
4. Describe Yolanda's family's first night with Aunt Tiny.
5. What does Yolanda do when she sees the bullies in Asphalt Hill?
6. Why doesn't there seem to be any way back stage?
7. What idea does Momma bring up while they are traveling that disturbs Yolanda?
8. Who admires Yolanda standing up to Romulus, and what is Yolanda's response to his admiration?
9. How does Yolanda explain all her questions to the security guards?
10. How do Yolanda and Andrew play in their concert for Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma, and how do the two women respond to the performance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Carol Fenner.
2. What in Carol Fenner's background may have helped her in writing "Yolonda's Genius"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Yolonda's Genius"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in this story, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Yolonda's Genius" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of "Yolonda's Genius" and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Do any of the characters seem unnecessary? Which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)