|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew realize as he listens to his sister dancing?
2. What is one question Yolanda asks while she is at the park?
3. What does Yolanda do at Grant Park?
4. How does Yolanda's mother's hair look?
5. How does Yolanda enjoy the first concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to anyone when her family is leaving to go visit Aunt Tiny?
2. Why doesn't there seem to be any way back stage?
3. What happens when Yolanda notices three men eying her momma?
4. What does Yolanda do when she sees two female security guards?
5. How is Andrew responding to the new harmonica and what does Yolanda think will help him?
6. What does Aunt Tiny do for a living, and how does that help Yolanda's family?
7. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
8. How does Yolanda explain all her questions to the security guards?
9. What "epiphany" does Yolanda have when she is at the park?
10. What does Momma say in reply to Yolanda saying Andrew is a genius and needs a special school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Do you think "Yolonda's Genius" ends on a happy note? Why or why not.
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Yolonda's Genius" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why this book is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Yolonda's Genius"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in this story, including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Yolonda's Genius" and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Understanding the setting, both the place and time, helps the reader to enjoy a novel. Discuss the following:
1. Research Chicago and Grand River, Michigan in the early 21st century, and write an informative essay about the social and geographical aspects.
2. Research the way drug pushers lure children to use drugs and write an informative essay about the situation and offer one or more solutions.
3. Compare/contrast the life of Yolanda in Chicago, IL and then Grand River, MI to your life when you were eleven.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)