|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yolanda snack on during the car trip?
2. What does Yolanda's mother ask about Yolanda and her school?
3. What does Aunt Tiny say about Yolanda's piano playing?
4. What does Yolanda do for the first time in months?
5. How does Yolanda enjoy the first concert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Momma finally notices Andrew's new harmonica?
2. Why does Yolanda send Shirley away in a cruel manner?
3. What does Yolanda do when she sees two female security guards?
4. What happens when Yolanda and Andrew visit Stellers music store?
5. What "epiphany" does Yolanda have when she is at the park?
6. Who admires Yolanda standing up to Romulus, and what is Yolanda's response to his admiration?
7. How do Yolanda and Andrew play in their concert for Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma, and how do the two women respond to the performance?
8. What does Yolanda do when she sees the bullies in Asphalt Hill?
9. How is Andrew responding to the new harmonica and what does Yolanda think will help him?
10. How does Yolanda explain all her questions to the security guards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Yolonda's Genius is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think "Yolonda's Genius" is successful as a learning tool? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of Carol Fenner's western novels? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
"Yolonda's Genius" belongs to the teen fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the teen fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen fiction and teen historical fiction?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)