|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yolanda decide to bake?
2. Of what does Yolanda try to convince herself as she runs to the park?
3. Who is Shirley Piper?
4. Who came into the school with a gun?
5. What is different about Vic Watts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Miss Gilluly done in relation to teaching Andrew to read?
2. Why does Momma decide to move from Chicago?
3. How does Yolanda steer Shirley's interest away from talking about jump roping?
4. What does Yolanda yell to Shirley as Yolanda is running out of the house?
5. What is one terrible thing that has happened lately?
6. Why does Yolanda usually add a comment when she answers a question?
7. Why is the darker side of Asphalt Hill, and what are Andrews thoughts about that?
8. How is the cake when Yolanda returns from the park with Andrew?
9. What does Yolanda "borrow" of her mother's, and what is she thinking about as she does so?
10. How does Yolanda feel in Michigan and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Carol Fenner.
2. What in Carol Fenner's background may have helped her in writing "Yolonda's Genius"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "Yolonda's Genius" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Yolanda. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Andrew. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Shirley Piper. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols, then trace and analyze their appearance in "Yolonda's Genius". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Fenner chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in "Yolonda's Genius". Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Fenner chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Fenner's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Fenner use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)