|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Andrew uninterested in the photograph?
2. Who is Vic Watts?
3. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
4. What is Yolanda often called by the other students?
5. How often had Shirley checked on the cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Andrew when Yolanda finds him, and what is her reaction?
2. How is the cake when Yolanda returns from the park with Andrew?
3. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley, yet still talks to her?
4. Who is Andrew's teacher and why is she scolding him?
5. Who does Andrew meet when he arrives for his reading lesson?
6. What does Yolanda yell to Shirley as Yolanda is running out of the house?
7. Why does Yolanda usually add a comment when she answers a question?
8. Where has Yolanda chosen to sit in her classroom and why?
9. What has Miss Gilluly done in relation to teaching Andrew to read?
10. What is the other terrible thing that has happened recently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Yolonda's Genius".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Yolonda's Genius". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Yolonda's Genius". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Carol Fenner.
2. What in Carol Fenner's background may have helped her in writing "Yolonda's Genius"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Yolonda's Genius" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)