Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Andrew when he received his first harmonica?
2. What tension is there at Asphalt Hill?
3. What cheers Yolanda's spirits?
4. What will be better with the move?
5. What does Yolanda offer to teach Shirley?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Yolanda and Andrew visit Stellers music store?
2. What does Aunt Tiny do for a living, and how does that help Yolanda's family?
3. How does Yolanda feel after Shirley leaves and what does she say to her aunt Tiny about Shirley?
4. What happens when Momma finally notices Andrew's new harmonica?
5. What is Yolanda thinking about as the novel opens?
6. How does Yolanda go about getting Andrew a new harmonica?
7. What happens when Yolanda notices three men eying her momma?
8. How do Yolanda and Andrew play in their concert for Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma, and how do the two women respond to the performance?
9. Where has Yolanda chosen to sit in her classroom and why?
10. What is a problem with how Andrew reacts to his sister dragging him around the park?
Essay Topic 1
Yolanda is eleven throughout much of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. What are some ways that Yolanda seems like an average eleven year old? Give examples and why you say her activities are average teen activities.
2. What are some ways that Yolanda seems older than her age of 11? Give specific examples and discuss whether they seem consistent with the character of Yolanda as she is developed throughout the book.
3. Do you think most eleven year old girls would look out for their six-year-old brother in the ways Yolanda does? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Yolonda's Genius" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
"Yolonda's Genius" belongs to the teen fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the teen fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a teen fiction and teen historical fiction?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)