|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Yolanda look up in the dictionary?
2. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
3. Who is Vic Watts?
4. What is in an illustration that gives Andrew no motivation?
5. What is Yolanda not allowed to do at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shirley react to what Yolanda tells her?
2. How is the cake when Yolanda returns from the park with Andrew?
3. Why does Yolanda usually add a comment when she answers a question?
4. Why does Momma decide to move from Chicago?
5. How does Vic use music to make a connection with Andrew?
6. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley, yet still talks to her?
7. What gives Yolanda comfort in her new home?
8. How does Yolanda go about getting Andrew a new harmonica?
9. Who is impressed by Yolanda and why?
10. Where has Yolanda chosen to sit in her classroom and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Yolonda's Genius is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes "Yolonda's Genius" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Yolanda. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Andrew. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Shirley Piper. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Yolonda's Genius".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Yolonda's Genius". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Yolonda's Genius". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)