|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
2. What does Vic show Andrew?
3. What lie has come back to haunt Yolanda?
4. What is different about Vic Watts?
5. What has Andrew be nicknamed by some of the boys that hang out at Asphalt Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yolanda respond to the cruel comments by the other children on the bus?
2. How does Yolanda explain all her questions to the security guards?
3. What does Yolanda do when she sees two female security guards?
4. Why does Yolanda volunteer to reserve her family's seats for the concert that evening?
5. What is Yolanda thinking about as the novel opens?
6. Why is the darker side of Asphalt Hill, and what are Andrews thoughts about that?
7. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to anyone when her family is leaving to go visit Aunt Tiny?
8. What idea does Momma bring up while they are traveling that disturbs Yolanda?
9. What does Momma want Yolanda to study in college and what are Yolanda's ambitions?
10. How does Vic use music to make a connection with Andrew?
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Do you think "Yolonda's Genius" ends on a happy note? Why or why not.
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Yolonda's Genius" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why this book is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Yolonda's Genius" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "Yolonda's Genius" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Yolanda. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Andrew. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Shirley Piper. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 2,884 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)