|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Shirley respond to Yolanda talking to her?
(a) She tells Yolanda to be quiet.
(b) She thinks Yolanda is crazy.
(c) She hangs on Yolanda's every word.
(d) She pretends to be listening but is just daydreaming.
2. Who calls Yolanda this word?
(b) Yolanda's mother.
(d) A boy who sits behind her in class.
3. What does Yolanda decide to bake?
(a) A carrot cake.
(b) An orange date nut cake.
(c) A chocolate fudge cake with walnuts.
(d) A brownie fudge cake.
4. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
(a) Reading a book under the tree.
(b) Talking with one of the boys who is skating.
(c) Talking with Shirley.
(d) Going to the public library.
5. What other sound does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The Doberman pincher barking at intruders.
(b) The bulldozers moving the trash around.
(c) The cries of the boys who take a hill too daringly.
(d) The cry of frogs who live in the stagnant water inside the tires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
2. What cheers Yolanda's spirits?
3. Why would Andrew not want to do drugs?
4. Who is Vic Watts?
5. Who came into the school with a gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shirley say about double-dutch that causes Yolanda great discomfort?
2. Who does Andrew meet when he arrives for his reading lesson?
3. How does Yolanda respond to the cruel comments by the other children on the bus?
4. What is the other terrible thing that has happened recently?
5. What does Yolanda yell to Shirley as Yolanda is running out of the house?
6. What is Yolanda thinking about as the novel opens?
7. Who is impressed by Yolanda and why?
8. Describe Andrew's encounter with the drug pushers at Asphalt Hill.
9. Why does Andrew go to Asphalt Hill?
10. Why does Yolanda usually add a comment when she answers a question?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)