|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley?
(a) She thinks Shirley might make fun of Yolanda behind her back.
(b) She thinks Shirley might want something in return for Shirley's kindness.
(c) Yolanda is not suspicious of Shirley.
(d) She thinks Shirley is less popular than Yolanda so Shirley sits with her not to be alone.
2. What is Asphalt Hill?
(a) Where skaters practice.
(b) A pile of tires about one hundred feet high.
(c) The scrapeyard.
(d) The dump behind Yolanda's home.
3. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
(a) Inspect them for the school day.
(b) Pray with them.
(c) Make breakfast.
(d) Iron their clothes.
4. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
(b) Burnt to a crisp.
(c) Not quite done.
5. To what smell does Yolando wake?
(a) Tar when the road is being repaired.
(b) Her dog breathing in her face.
(c) Fish frying and waffles sizzling.
(d) Bacon frying and pancakes cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Andrew wake up the family in the mornings?
2. What is Yolanda not allowed to do at home?
3. What cheers Yolanda's spirits?
4. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
5. What does Vic show Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the darker side of Asphalt Hill, and what are Andrews thoughts about that?
2. What is the other terrible thing that has happened recently?
3. What does Shirley say about double-dutch that causes Yolanda great discomfort?
4. Why does Andrew go to Asphalt Hill?
5. How is the cake when Yolanda returns from the park with Andrew?
6. Describe Andrew's encounter with the drug pushers at Asphalt Hill.
7. What does Yolanda go to the library to research and what does she learn?
8. How does Yolanda respond to the cruel comments by the other children on the bus?
9. Where has Yolanda chosen to sit in her classroom and why?
10. How does Vic use music to make a connection with Andrew?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)