|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Andrew uninterested in the photograph?
(a) Andrew is afraid of dogs.
(b) Andew does not care what happened several hundred years ago.
(c) The children in the photo do not resemble Andrew.
(d) Andrew thinks the parasol is silly.
2. What does Yolanda tell Shirley to test?
(a) The softness of the couch.
(b) Anyone who comes to the door and wants in.
(c) Yolanda's vocabulary size.
(d) The cake to see if it is done.
3. What has Andrew be nicknamed by some of the boys that hang out at Asphalt Hill?
(a) The Pied Piper.
(c) Soft shoe Andro.
(d) The Mouth.
4. What does Yolanda usually have when she answers a question in class?
(a) A big grin on her face.
(b) An additional comment about her answer.
(d) A group of students who clap.
5. What is Yolanda's mother always pestering her to do?
(a) Clean her room.
(b) Make friends.
(c) Stop reading so much.
(d) Learn to cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Yolanda this word?
2. Where does Yolanda's family live at the opening of the novel?
3. What cheers Yolanda's spirits?
4. How is Shirley?
5. What does Yolanda think about all day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yolanda go to the library to research and what does she learn?
2. What has Miss Gilluly done in relation to teaching Andrew to read?
3. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley, yet still talks to her?
4. What is the other terrible thing that has happened recently?
5. How does Yolanda steer Shirley's interest away from talking about jump roping?
6. How does Yolanda go about getting Andrew a new harmonica?
7. What does Yolanda yell to Shirley as Yolanda is running out of the house?
8. Why does Momma decide to move from Chicago?
9. Describe Andrew's encounter with the drug pushers at Asphalt Hill.
10. Where has Yolanda chosen to sit in her classroom and why?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)