|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is failing to hold Andrew's interest?
(a) His mother's recitation of his father's traits.
(b) Learning to read music.
(c) Learning to read English.
(d) His friend's toy soldiers.
2. What sounds does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The seagulls eating the garbage.
(b) The metal being smashed.
(c) The wheels on concrete.
(d) The tires settling when they throw a new batch on the pile.
3. What does Yolanda tell Shirley to test?
(a) The softness of the couch.
(b) The cake to see if it is done.
(c) Anyone who comes to the door and wants in.
(d) Yolanda's vocabulary size.
4. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
(a) Why Yolando does not report the students who harass Yolanda.
(b) If Yolanda studies for hours at night.
(c) Why Yolanda would want the teacher to call on her.
(d) If Yolanda is a genius.
5. Of what does Yolanda try to convince herself as she runs to the park?
(a) That Andrew is able to fight well.
(b) That Shirley can take responsibility for the cake and do fine.
(c) That other boys would protect Andrew.
(d) That the neighborhood is safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seat does Yolando take in her classroom?
2. What does Yolanda do a lot of in the classroom?
3. Who is Vic Watts?
4. What does Andrew tell Yolanda finally concerning his harmonica?
5. What other sound does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the other terrible thing that has happened recently?
2. Why does Momma decide to move from Chicago?
3. Where has Yolanda chosen to sit in her classroom and why?
4. How does Andrew become confused when Miss Gilluly shows him a picture of a dog?
5. Why does Yolanda usually add a comment when she answers a question?
6. Why is the darker side of Asphalt Hill, and what are Andrews thoughts about that?
7. What has Miss Gilluly done in relation to teaching Andrew to read?
8. What does Yolanda "borrow" of her mother's, and what is she thinking about as she does so?
9. What is Yolanda thinking about as the novel opens?
10. How does Yolanda feel in Michigan and why?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)