|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley?
(a) Yolanda is not suspicious of Shirley.
(b) She thinks Shirley might make fun of Yolanda behind her back.
(c) She thinks Shirley is less popular than Yolanda so Shirley sits with her not to be alone.
(d) She thinks Shirley might want something in return for Shirley's kindness.
2. To what smell does Yolando wake?
(a) Her dog breathing in her face.
(b) Tar when the road is being repaired.
(c) Fish frying and waffles sizzling.
(d) Bacon frying and pancakes cooking.
3. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
4. What is one group that hangs out at Asphalt Hill?
(a) Girls watching the boys.
(d) Drug pushers.
5. What does Yolanda think about all day?
(a) How to manipulate her mother.
(b) The kind of cake she will make.
(c) Whether she really wants Shirley as a friend.
(d) Why Shirley is cozening up to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yolanda often called by the other students?
2. What is in an illustration that gives Andrew no motivation?
3. What was Andrew told would help his Momma?
4. What does Andrew think he is supposed to do?
5. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vic use music to make a connection with Andrew?
2. What has Miss Gilluly done in relation to teaching Andrew to read?
3. Why does Andrew go to Asphalt Hill?
4. How is the cake when Yolanda returns from the park with Andrew?
5. How does Yolanda go about getting Andrew a new harmonica?
6. Why does Yolanda usually add a comment when she answers a question?
7. What is one terrible thing that has happened lately?
8. How is Andrew when Yolanda finds him, and what is her reaction?
9. What is the other terrible thing that has happened recently?
10. What is Yolanda thinking about as the novel opens?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)