|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Andrew seem when Yolanda reaches him at the park?
(a) Deeply upset.
2. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
(a) She forgot to pick up Andrew at the park.
(b) She has a present for Andrew.
(c) She and Andrew have to stay with their father the next weekend.
(d) She wants to save a piece of the cake for Andrew.
3. What word does Yolanda look up in the dictionary?
4. What does Yolanda realize when she reads the word definition?
(a) She is actually quite grown-up and infantile does not describe her.
(b) She is intelligent, but not exceptional.
(c) She is not the true genius in the family.
(d) The word is an insult to others but not her.
5. How does Shirley respond to Yolanda talking to her?
(a) She hangs on Yolanda's every word.
(b) She thinks Yolanda is crazy.
(c) She pretends to be listening but is just daydreaming.
(d) She tells Yolanda to be quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
2. What was Andrew told would help his Momma?
3. Where does Yolanda's mother decide to move her family?
4. Why doesn't Andrew feel connected to the sounds in the house?
5. Who scolds Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one terrible thing that has happened lately?
2. Why is the darker side of Asphalt Hill, and what are Andrews thoughts about that?
3. What has Miss Gilluly done in relation to teaching Andrew to read?
4. How does Yolanda go about getting Andrew a new harmonica?
5. How does Vic use music to make a connection with Andrew?
6. What does Yolanda yell to Shirley as Yolanda is running out of the house?
7. What does Yolanda tell herself as she is running to Asphalt Hill?
8. How does Yolanda respond to the cruel comments by the other children on the bus?
9. Where has Yolanda chosen to sit in her classroom and why?
10. How does Yolanda steer Shirley's interest away from talking about jump roping?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)