|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yolanda's mother dress when they go out to dinner?
(a) In a dress that shows off her figure.
(b) In trendy capris and a tank top.
(c) In a fairly matronly dress.
(d) In sloppy, wrinkled clothes.
2. What does Yolanda suggest to her mother about Andrew?
(a) That he would be lost without her at home.
(b) That Andrew is the musician and should live with Aunt Tiny.
(c) That Yolanda should be allowed to join the police cadets.
(d) That he needs a special school because he is a genius.
3. Why doesn't Andrew have any stage fright when he goes to play for the music store owner?
(a) He wants an harmonica badly.
(b) He does not know about Yolanda's deal.
(c) He never gets stage fright.
(d) He is too excited about Yolanda's encounter with the bullies.
4. To whom else does Yolanda want to say goodbye?
(b) No one.
5. What does Yolanda find in her search at the park?
(a) Good seats.
(b) The performer.
(c) Two stage hands.
(d) Two security guards.
6. What inspires Yolanda for solving her dilemma about talking to a performer?
(a) Her momma knows the performer and says she will speak to him.
(b) She encounters a kind, wealthy woman who offers to help her.
(c) The backstage manager walks onstage with a small, blond boy.
(d) Her Aunt Tiny suggests calling the performer ahead of time.
7. Why do Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma look confused?
(a) Because Yolanda acts as though Andrew is a genius.
(b) Because of the concert Yolanda and Andrew give.
(c) Because Yolanda says she loves her school when all she's ever done is complain.
(d) Because of the way Andrew seems to play the same three chords over and over.
8. Where does Yolanda take Andrew after her encounter with Foster?
(d) An ice cream parlour.
9. What happens when the crowd gets loud?
(a) Yolanda realizes that Andrew could never perform in front of this group.
(b) Andrew wants to go home.
(c) Andrew wanders away from his family.
(d) Andrew grabs for his harmonica.
10. What is Yolanda doing when Shirley comes to visit?
(a) Writing an essay for her homework.
(b) Having her hair fixed.
(c) Baking a cake.
(d) Trying to figure out how to get Andrew some drums.
11. How does Yolanda feel about her current teacher?
(a) She thinks the teacher is prejudiced.
(b) She thinks the teacher dislikes her.
(c) She hates her teacher.
(d) She loves her teacher.
12. When is Aunt Tiny going to visit?
(a) In several months.
(b) Yolanda is not sure.
(c) She had just visited before the story opens.
(d) Within days.
13. What horrifies Yolanda about the way Aunt Tiny cuts Yolanda's mother's hair?
(a) It is too puffed out.
(b) The style is flirty.
(c) It is too straight.
(d) It is too short.
14. With what does Yolanda threaten the bullies?
(a) The police.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her supposed relationship with Cool Breeze.
(d) Stealing their drugs.
15. What does Yolanda tell her mother she wants to be?
(a) A pilot.
(b) An English teacher.
(c) An airline stewardess.
(d) A police officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Tiny always do when she visits?
2. Where does Aunt Tiny work as a hairdresser?
3. For what does Yolanda blame Shirley?
4. What does Yolanda say about Andrew's tendency in a large crowd?
5. How does Yolanda feel as she is waiting at the concert that night?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)