|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Yolanda feel as she is waiting at the concert that night?
2. What comment from her mother upsets Yolanda terribly?
(a) That Andrew should concentrate on academics and not music.
(b) That Andrew is as far from a musical genius as one can get.
(c) That Yolanda will go to live with Aunt Tiny in a better neighborhood.
(d) That Yolanda and Andrew were making terrible noise.
3. What does Yolanda realize as she is watching musicians unload their instruments?
(a) That her momma knows nothing about jazz music.
(b) That Andrew should be on the stage.
(c) That Andrew needs more instruments to play.
4. Why do Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma look confused?
(a) Because of the way Andrew seems to play the same three chords over and over.
(b) Because of the concert Yolanda and Andrew give.
(c) Because Yolanda acts as though Andrew is a genius.
(d) Because Yolanda says she loves her school when all she's ever done is complain.
5. What does Yolanda's mother ask about several days after their visit to the music store?
(a) Where Andrew got the new harmonica.
(b) Why Andrew seems suddenly happy again.
(c) Why Yolanda doesn't want to go to the park anymore.
(d) Why Yolanda is so bruised.
6. Why is Yolanda upset about what Stoney Buxton tells her?
(a) She knows that he means that he'll be watching for when her back is turned to attack.
(b) She is afraid of going to jail for assault.
(c) He is talented and attractive and she wishes he did not witness her actions.
(d) She knows the bullies will be looking for a way to retaliate.
7. What does Shirley have with her when she visits Yolanda?
(a) A puppy.
(b) A set of jacks.
(c) A regulation Double-dutch jump rope.
(d) A cake.
8. Where is the concert being held?
(a) The city auditorium.
(b) A high school stadium.
(c) Grant Park.
(d) The civic center.
9. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to Shirley?
(a) Yolanda is not speaking to Shirley.
(b) Shirley is not speaking to Yolanda.
(c) Shirley is ill with a contagious disease.
(d) Shirley is on vacation out of the state with her family.
10. How does Yolanda's mother's hair look?
(a) It is dyed red.
(b) It is just a couple inches long.
(c) It is unbraided and unbeaded.
(d) It has dread locks with beads.
11. What does Yolanda do as the crowd gets rowdy?
(a) Tells Andrew to stick close to his momma.
(b) Asks her aunt to please watch Andrew.
(c) Grabs Andrew.
(d) Tells her mother she has to go to the bathroom.
12. Where is Yolanda's family going for a visit?
(b) New York.
(d) New Orleans.
13. How does Shirley respond to Yolanda's attempt to make up?
(a) Shirley says she already knows all the words.
(b) Shirley smiles and has some chocolate.
(c) Shirley tells her she hates cookies.
(d) Shirley says she is grounded and can't come over.
14. When is Aunt Tiny going to visit?
(a) In several months.
(b) Yolanda is not sure.
(c) Within days.
(d) She had just visited before the story opens.
15. How does Shirley respond?
(a) Shirley tells Yolanda to not come crying to her later.
(b) Shirley is devastated but keeps her composure.
(c) Shirley says she was coming over to tell Yolanda she does not want to be friends.
(d) Shirley calls Yolanda a liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yolanda feel about her current teacher?
2. To whom else does Yolanda want to say goodbye?
3. Why does Yolanda say Shirley cannot learn to double dutch?
4. What sort of questions does Yolanda ask at the park?
5. What is one question Yolanda asks while she is at the park?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)