|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inspires Yolanda for solving her dilemma about talking to a performer?
(a) The backstage manager walks onstage with a small, blond boy.
(b) Her Aunt Tiny suggests calling the performer ahead of time.
(c) Her momma knows the performer and says she will speak to him.
(d) She encounters a kind, wealthy woman who offers to help her.
2. What does Yolanda reply when Aunt Tiny asks if Shirley is a friend?
(a) Yolanda says nothing.
(b) Yolanda says Shirley is a white girl.
(c) Yolanda says she was but she was not a good friend.
(d) Yolanda says no.
3. How does Yolanda's mother's hair look?
(a) It is just a couple inches long.
(b) It is unbraided and unbeaded.
(c) It is dyed red.
(d) It has dread locks with beads.
4. What does Aunt Tiny always do when she visits?
(a) Takes them out to dinner.
(b) Teaches them a new song or two.
(c) Has a present for Yolanda and Andrew.
(d) Fixes everyone's hair.
5. What does Andrew play for the store owner?
(a) The sounds of skaters during an ice hockey match.
(b) "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."
(d) The angry sounds of Yolanda's fury during the fight.
6. Why does Yolanda have to pull off her scheme without her momma's help?
(a) Her momma would be embarrassed to do what Yolanda is doing.
(b) Her momma would not consider trying to get Andrew back stage.
(c) Her momma dislikes the performer and would not want to meet him.
(d) Her momma has to stay to assist Aunt Tiny.
7. What is Yolanda looking for before the concert begins?
(b) A way to get Andrew backstage.
(c) Her friend from Chicago.
(d) A way to distract her momma and Aunt Tiny.
8. What does Yolanda suggest she and Andrew do?
(a) Try out for the special arts school.
(b) Talk to each other and decide who will go live with Aunt Tiny.
(c) Both go to schools for geniuses.
(d) Give a concert for her momma and Aunt Tiny.
9. What happens when the crowd gets loud?
(a) Andrew grabs for his harmonica.
(b) Andrew wanders away from his family.
(c) Yolanda realizes that Andrew could never perform in front of this group.
(d) Andrew wants to go home.
10. How is Vic helping Andrew?
(a) By getting him music lessons with a well known teacher.
(b) By using music to teach Andrew to read.
(c) By helping Andrew learn to ride a bike.
(d) By taking Andrew to the museums to teach him to read.
11. What does Yolanda volunteer to do the day of the concert?
(a) Help her mother cook breakfast so they can leave on time.
(b) Get Andrew ready to go.
(c) Go to the park and reserve their seats.
(d) Help Aunt Tiny finish cleaning her shop so they can leave on time.
12. What sort of questions does Yolanda ask at the park?
(a) How to request a specific song.
(b) About how soon the performer is backstage before the concert.
(c) About a lost child situation.
(d) How to get the front row seats.
13. What does Yolanda do when she notices three men looking at her mother in the restaurant?
(a) She goes over and speaks to them.
(b) She says they are leaving the restaurant.
(c) She points them out to her mother and teases her.
(d) She giggles.
14. What does Yolanda fear in front of her Aunt Tiny?
(a) That Aunt Tiny would urge Yolanda to jump rope with Shirley.
(b) That Shirley would tell Aunt Tiny about her fight with the bullies.
(c) That Yolanda has a white girl for a friend.
(d) Aunt Tiny learning that Yolanda lied about being able to double-dutch.
15. What does the store agree to do?
(a) Let Yolanda work off the price of the harmonica and give Andrew music lessons.
(b) Give the harmonica to Andrew for the discount price.
(c) Let Andrew work for music lessons.
(d) Let Yolanda work off the rest of the price.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yolanda manage to do?
2. What does Yolanda's momma want Yolanda to aspire to be someday?
3. Why doesn't Andrew have any stage fright when he goes to play for the music store owner?
4. How does Yolanda feel about Aunt Tiny's proposal?
5. What does Yolanda lie about to the two women she is talking with at the park?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)