|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Aunt Tiny and Yolanda's momma look confused?
(a) Because Yolanda says she loves her school when all she's ever done is complain.
(b) Because of the way Andrew seems to play the same three chords over and over.
(c) Because Yolanda acts as though Andrew is a genius.
(d) Because of the concert Yolanda and Andrew give.
2. Where does Yolanda take Andrew after her encounter with Foster?
(c) An ice cream parlour.
3. Why is Yolanda upset about what Stoney Buxton tells her?
(a) She knows that he means that he'll be watching for when her back is turned to attack.
(b) He is talented and attractive and she wishes he did not witness her actions.
(c) She is afraid of going to jail for assault.
(d) She knows the bullies will be looking for a way to retaliate.
4. What does Yolanda suggest she and Andrew do?
(a) Give a concert for her momma and Aunt Tiny.
(b) Try out for the special arts school.
(c) Talk to each other and decide who will go live with Aunt Tiny.
(d) Both go to schools for geniuses.
5. What does Yolanda's mother ask about Yolanda and her school?
(a) If the classes are challenging enough.
(b) If Yolanda is happy.
(c) When Yolanda's grades will be mailed.
(d) If she feels comfortable there.
6. What does Yolanda do when she notices three men looking at her mother in the restaurant?
(a) She giggles.
(b) She points them out to her mother and teases her.
(c) She says they are leaving the restaurant.
(d) She goes over and speaks to them.
7. How does Yolanda's mother's hair look?
(a) It is unbraided and unbeaded.
(b) It is just a couple inches long.
(c) It has dread locks with beads.
(d) It is dyed red.
8. Who does Yolanda decide is the only person who can help Andrew?
(a) Andrew's music teacher.
(b) Their grandfather.
(c) Their father.
(d) Aunt Tiny.
9. What does Yolanda realize as she is watching musicians unload their instruments?
(a) That Andrew needs more instruments to play.
(b) That Andrew should be on the stage.
(c) That her momma knows nothing about jazz music.
10. What does Yolanda reply when Aunt Tiny asks if Shirley is a friend?
(a) Yolanda says Shirley is a white girl.
(b) Yolanda says no.
(c) Yolanda says she was but she was not a good friend.
(d) Yolanda says nothing.
11. What does Yolanda do at Grant Park?
(b) Reserve seats.
(c) Jump rope.
12. How does Yolanda try to make up her rudeness to Shirley?
(a) Yolanda offers her a cookie from her lunch.
(b) Yolanda invites her over after school.
(c) Yolanda offers her help with her vocabulary test.
(d) Yolanda offers her some of her chocolate bar.
13. What does Shirley have with her when she visits Yolanda?
(a) A set of jacks.
(b) A cake.
(c) A regulation Double-dutch jump rope.
(d) A puppy.
14. What comment from her mother upsets Yolanda terribly?
(a) That Yolanda will go to live with Aunt Tiny in a better neighborhood.
(b) That Andrew should concentrate on academics and not music.
(c) That Andrew is as far from a musical genius as one can get.
(d) That Yolanda and Andrew were making terrible noise.
15. What does Yolanda tell her mother she wants to be?
(a) A police officer.
(b) An airline stewardess.
(c) A pilot.
(d) An English teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the store agree to do?
2. What does Yolanda's mother ask about several days after their visit to the music store?
3. Of what is Yolanda's mother not convinced concerning Andrew?
4. What does Yolanda say about Andrew's tendency in a large crowd?
5. With what does Yolanda threaten the bullies?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)