|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Yolanda not say goodbye to Shirley?
(a) Shirley is not speaking to Yolanda.
(b) Shirley is ill with a contagious disease.
(c) Yolanda is not speaking to Shirley.
(d) Shirley is on vacation out of the state with her family.
2. Who does Yolanda think would have to be the one to discover Andrew?
(a) A jazz singer.
(b) Her Aunt Tiny.
(c) A professional musician.
(d) No one; he does not need discovered.
3. How does Yolanda feel as she is waiting at the concert that night?
4. What does Andrew play for the store owner?
(a) "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."
(b) The sounds of skaters during an ice hockey match.
(c) The angry sounds of Yolanda's fury during the fight.
5. How does Yolanda feel about Aunt Tiny's proposal?
(a) She thinks it's a wonderful idea.
(b) She doesn't want to eat all vegeatables.
(c) She is not enthusiastic.
(d) She wants to stay with her momma and Andrew.
6. What does Yolanda do when she notices three men looking at her mother in the restaurant?
(a) She says they are leaving the restaurant.
(b) She points them out to her mother and teases her.
(c) She giggles.
(d) She goes over and speaks to them.
7. How does Yolanda's mother dress when they go out to dinner?
(a) In trendy capris and a tank top.
(b) In a dress that shows off her figure.
(c) In sloppy, wrinkled clothes.
(d) In a fairly matronly dress.
8. What does Yolanda's mother ask about Yolanda and her school?
(a) When Yolanda's grades will be mailed.
(b) If Yolanda is happy.
(c) If the classes are challenging enough.
(d) If she feels comfortable there.
9. How does Shirley respond?
(a) Shirley is devastated but keeps her composure.
(b) Shirley says she was coming over to tell Yolanda she does not want to be friends.
(c) Shirley calls Yolanda a liar.
(d) Shirley tells Yolanda to not come crying to her later.
10. What happens when the crowd gets loud?
(a) Andrew grabs for his harmonica.
(b) Andrew wants to go home.
(c) Yolanda realizes that Andrew could never perform in front of this group.
(d) Andrew wanders away from his family.
11. What does Shirley have with her when she visits Yolanda?
(a) A cake.
(b) A set of jacks.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A regulation Double-dutch jump rope.
12. What does the store owner think of Andrew's playing?
(a) He thinks Andrew is awful.
(b) He thinks Andrew needs some instruction.
(c) He is awestruck.
(d) He thinks Andrew is just blowing through the instrument with no idea of what he is doing.
13. What cause Yolanda to become furious?
(a) Yolanda's mother saying that Andrew needs to concentrate on his studies.
(b) Shirley saying she does not want to be friends any longer.
(c) Seeing the bullies the next day after they had broken Andrew's harmonica.
(d) Shirley saying she does not think Andrew is a genius.
14. When is Aunt Tiny going to visit?
(a) Within days.
(b) She had just visited before the story opens.
(c) In several months.
(d) Yolanda is not sure.
15. Who does Yolanda decide is the only person who can help Andrew?
(a) Their father.
(b) Their grandfather.
(c) Aunt Tiny.
(d) Andrew's music teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the store agree to do?
2. What does Yolanda do at Grant Park?
3. How does Yolanda enjoy the first concert?
4. With what does Yolanda threaten the bullies?
5. What does Yolanda's mother ask about several days after their visit to the music store?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)