|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yolanda's family live at the opening of the novel?
(a) Ann Arbor.
2. Who scolds Andrew?
(a) Miss Gilluly.
(c) His mother.
(d) His music teacher.
3. Where is Andrew when Chapter 3 opens?
(a) At home sleeping.
(b) On the park playground.
(c) In his class at school.
(d) At home playing his harmonica.
4. What does Shirley hope Yolanda will teach her?
(a) How to study for an exam.
(b) How to talk the librarian into letting her check out more than three books.
(c) How to increase Shirley's vocabularly.
(d) How to do double-dutch.
5. How does Yolanda make the rest of the kids feel?
(a) Stupid because of her advanced vocabulary.
6. How does Yolanda's mother's pestering figure into Yolanda getting to do something she likes to do?
(a) She'll use the excuse of making friends to bake a cake for her friend.
(b) She'll clean her room for company and then bake a cake for her friend.
(c) She'll stop reading if she can bake a cake.
(d) She'll offer to learn how to make a dinner meal if she can bake a cake for the dessert.
7. What does Yolanda miss about her former home?
(a) The sights, sounds and tastes.
(b) Her very best friend.
(c) The better schools.
(d) The public library which was a block away.
8. What does Yolanda's mother hope Andrew some day becomes?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A musician.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A teacher.
9. Who thinks Andrew is interfering with business?
(a) The hot dog vendor.
(b) The blind, old man who plays who trumpet for money on the corner.
(c) The skating rink manager.
(d) The drug pushers.
10. What is wrong with Andrew's momma?
(a) She is always tired.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She has a bad back.
(d) She has bad arthritis.
11. What do they call Yolanda on the bus?
(a) Skinny Mini.
(b) Nothing; they won't speak to her.
12. What does Yolanda do to the biggest bully at school?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Asks him for a chess match.
(c) Wrestles him to the ground.
(d) Ruins his food.
13. What does Andrew think he is supposed to do?
(a) Look for something hidden in the picture.
(b) He has no idea.
(c) Tell Miss Giluly how to spell train.
(d) Draw the picture.
14. Of what does Yolanda try to convince herself as she runs to the park?
(a) That other boys would protect Andrew.
(b) That Shirley can take responsibility for the cake and do fine.
(c) That the neighborhood is safe.
(d) That Andrew is able to fight well.
15. Who calls Yolanda this word?
(b) Yolanda's mother.
(d) A boy who sits behind her in class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie has come back to haunt Yolanda?
2. How old is Andrew?
3. Why is Yolanda shouting at Andrew in the morning?
4. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
5. What other sound does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)