|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who scolds Andrew?
(a) Miss Gilluly.
(b) His music teacher.
(d) His mother.
2. Why would Andrew not want to do drugs?
(a) He has seen what drugs do to others.
(b) It is too expensive.
(c) He's afraid of his mother finding out.
(d) He's afraid of going to jail.
3. Where does Yolanda's mother decide to move her family?
(d) Grand River.
4. How old was Andrew when he received his first harmonica?
(b) About 8.
(d) A baby.
5. What does Shirley mean when she tells Yolanda that it takes one to know one?
(a) That because Shirley's father is also dead, she understands Yolanda's grief.
(b) That it takes a reject at school to understand another reject.
(c) That because Shirley's mother is also ill, she understands Yolanda's pain.
(d) That since Yolanda is a genius, she would naturally recognize another genius.
6. How does Andrew wake up the family in the mornings?
(a) Playing the stereo loudly and dancing.
(b) Playing his drums.
(c) Playing his flute or harmonica.
(d) Singing to the radio.
7. Who was at the playground when Andrew was there?
(a) The principal just before he was shot.
(b) A couple ponies kids could ride.
(c) A swat team.
(d) Some pushers.
8. What is Yolanda yelling to Shirley as Yolanda rushes out of the house?
(a) To call the police.
(b) To lock the door when she leaves.
(c) To call Yolanda's mother.
(d) Directions to baking the cake.
9. What does Yolanda usually have when she answers a question in class?
(a) A group of students who clap.
(c) An additional comment about her answer.
(d) A big grin on her face.
10. What is different about Vic Watts?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has a bad stutter.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is in a wheelchair.
11. What word does Yolanda look up in the dictionary?
12. How does Yolanda feel in her new home?
13. What does Romulus ask of Andrew?
(a) To give him Andrew's second-best harmonica.
(b) What Andrew would get for his mother's birthday.
(c) To get closer to the rink so the skaters can hear him better.
(d) To play some notes on the harmonica.
14. Where does Yolanda's family live at the opening of the novel?
(d) Ann Arbor.
15. What does Vic show Andrew?
(a) His talking wristwatch.
(b) The sheet music for the song Andrew plays.
(c) The electric controls on his wheelchair.
(d) Carnegie Hall to demonstrate to Andrew where he could end up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Andrew when Chapter 3 opens?
2. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
3. What lie has come back to haunt Yolanda?
4. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
5. What is in an illustration that gives Andrew no motivation?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)