|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yolanda miss about her former home?
(a) Her very best friend.
(b) The sights, sounds and tastes.
(c) The public library which was a block away.
(d) The better schools.
2. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
(a) She and Andrew have to stay with their father the next weekend.
(b) She has a present for Andrew.
(c) She forgot to pick up Andrew at the park.
(d) She wants to save a piece of the cake for Andrew.
3. How does Yolanda's mother's pestering figure into Yolanda getting to do something she likes to do?
(a) She'll clean her room for company and then bake a cake for her friend.
(b) She'll offer to learn how to make a dinner meal if she can bake a cake for the dessert.
(c) She'll use the excuse of making friends to bake a cake for her friend.
(d) She'll stop reading if she can bake a cake.
4. Who scolds Andrew?
(b) His music teacher.
(c) Miss Gilluly.
(d) His mother.
5. What does Yolanda tell Shirley to test?
(a) Anyone who comes to the door and wants in.
(b) The softness of the couch.
(c) Yolanda's vocabulary size.
(d) The cake to see if it is done.
6. Who is Romulus Foster?
(a) One of the skaters who likes Andrew's playing.
(b) A friend of Andrew's mother.
(c) The leader of the drug pushers.
(d) One of Andrew's classmates.
7. What does Yolanda take Shirley through with painstaking detail?
(a) The steps in creating a rubric.
(b) The steps in making a cake.
(c) The way to make a poster presentation.
(d) The steps in the double-dutch form.
8. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
(a) "Old MacDonald."
(b) A gospel tune.
(c) Some jazz.
(d) "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
9. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley?
(a) Yolanda is not suspicious of Shirley.
(b) She thinks Shirley might make fun of Yolanda behind her back.
(c) She thinks Shirley is less popular than Yolanda so Shirley sits with her not to be alone.
(d) She thinks Shirley might want something in return for Shirley's kindness.
10. What does Shirley mean when she tells Yolanda that it takes one to know one?
(a) That because Shirley's mother is also ill, she understands Yolanda's pain.
(b) That because Shirley's father is also dead, she understands Yolanda's grief.
(c) That it takes a reject at school to understand another reject.
(d) That since Yolanda is a genius, she would naturally recognize another genius.
11. What tension is there at Asphalt Hill?
(a) Between kids from different schools.
(b) Between Andrew and the drug dealers.
(c) Between the older boys and the younger boys.
(d) Between the skaters and the basketball players.
12. What is Yolanda often called by the other students?
(a) Teacher's Mosquito.
(b) Teacher's Pet (Elephant).
(c) Brown noser.
(d) Miss Know It All.
13. How does Shirley respond to Yolanda talking to her?
(a) She hangs on Yolanda's every word.
(b) She tells Yolanda to be quiet.
(c) She pretends to be listening but is just daydreaming.
(d) She thinks Yolanda is crazy.
14. What does Yolanda's Momma find in Andrew's pocket?
(a) A bag of marijuana.
(b) A gun.
(c) A note from the drug dealer who shot the principal.
(d) A bag of cocaine.
15. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) The lake near her house.
(b) Having her own room.
(c) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
(d) Andrew playing his instruments.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yolanda not allowed to do at home?
2. What does Andrew think he is supposed to do?
3. What does Yolanda think about all day?
4. About what does Andrew dream?
5. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)