|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yolanda realize when she reads the word definition?
(a) She is not the true genius in the family.
(b) She is actually quite grown-up and infantile does not describe her.
(c) She is intelligent, but not exceptional.
(d) The word is an insult to others but not her.
2. What is failing to hold Andrew's interest?
(a) His friend's toy soldiers.
(b) Learning to read music.
(c) Learning to read English.
(d) His mother's recitation of his father's traits.
3. What did Andrew not know about what was in his pocket?
(a) The substance is illegal.
(b) The money is stolen.
(c) The beatle is still alive.
(d) It is cocaine.
4. What does Shirley hope Yolanda will teach her?
(a) How to increase Shirley's vocabularly.
(b) How to talk the librarian into letting her check out more than three books.
(c) How to study for an exam.
(d) How to do double-dutch.
5. What is Yolanda's mother always pestering her to do?
(a) Learn to cook.
(b) Clean her room.
(c) Make friends.
(d) Stop reading so much.
6. Who is Shirley Piper?
(a) A girl who saves a seat on the bus for Yolanda.
(b) Yolanda's next-door neighbor.
(c) The principal at Yolanda's new school.
(d) Yolanda's favorite teacher.
7. Who is Romulus Foster?
(a) The leader of the drug pushers.
(b) One of the skaters who likes Andrew's playing.
(c) A friend of Andrew's mother.
(d) One of Andrew's classmates.
8. Where does Yolanda go on the bus?
(a) To see a friend.
(b) To buy Andrew a harmonica.
(c) To Shirley's house.
(d) To visit her father.
9. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
(a) Iron their clothes.
(b) Pray with them.
(c) Make breakfast.
(d) Inspect them for the school day.
10. How does Shirley respond to Yolanda talking to her?
(a) She hangs on Yolanda's every word.
(b) She tells Yolanda to be quiet.
(c) She pretends to be listening but is just daydreaming.
(d) She thinks Yolanda is crazy.
11. What is one group that hangs out at Asphalt Hill?
(b) Girls watching the boys.
(c) Drug pushers.
12. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
(a) Not quite done.
(c) Burnt to a crisp.
13. Who was shot by the person with the gun?
(a) The principal.
(b) The other janitor.
(c) Students and a teacher.
(d) No one.
14. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) Andrew's music teacher.
(b) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(c) Yolanda's math teacher.
(d) Yolanda's English teacher.
15. How often had Shirley checked on the cake?
(a) Every five minutes.
(b) She forgot to check on it altogether.
(c) Every minute.
(d) Every half hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What picture does Miss Gilluly give Andrew and ask him what it is?
2. What does Yolanda think about all day?
3. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
4. What cheers Yolanda's spirits?
5. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)