|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shirley hope Yolanda will teach her?
(a) How to study for an exam.
(b) How to increase Shirley's vocabularly.
(c) How to do double-dutch.
(d) How to talk the librarian into letting her check out more than three books.
2. What has Miss Gilluly given up trying to do?
(a) Get a promotion.
(b) Stop Yolanda from raising her hand in class so much.
(c) Getting her students to want to learn.
(d) Teach Andrew to read.
3. What does Yolanda usually have when she answers a question in class?
(a) An additional comment about her answer.
(b) A group of students who clap.
(c) A big grin on her face.
4. Who is Stoney Buxton?
(a) A drug dealer in the neighborhood.
(b) A skater who says he does better when Andrew is playing his harmonica.
(c) A boy who is learning to play the flute.
(d) A boy who is learning harmonica also.
5. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley?
(a) Yolanda is not suspicious of Shirley.
(b) She thinks Shirley is less popular than Yolanda so Shirley sits with her not to be alone.
(c) She thinks Shirley might want something in return for Shirley's kindness.
(d) She thinks Shirley might make fun of Yolanda behind her back.
6. What does Vic show Andrew?
(a) Carnegie Hall to demonstrate to Andrew where he could end up.
(b) The electric controls on his wheelchair.
(c) The sheet music for the song Andrew plays.
(d) His talking wristwatch.
7. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
8. How old was Andrew when he received his first harmonica?
(c) About 8.
(d) A baby.
9. About what does Yolanda need to talk to someone?
(a) The possibility of Andrew being a genius.
(b) Her missing father.
(c) Her mother's illness.
(d) Her dead father.
10. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
(a) Talking with one of the boys who is skating.
(b) Talking with Shirley.
(c) Going to the public library.
(d) Reading a book under the tree.
11. Why does Yolanda look up the word?
(a) To have a smart rejoinder for the boy the next day.
(b) To compliment her mother with something nice.
(c) To figure out if she really is one.
(d) To have a comment to Andrew.
12. What does the Chimp do?
(a) Calls for the police.
(b) Hits Vic Watts.
(c) Intervenes for Andrew when some bullies are botherin him.
(d) Smashes Andrew's harmonica.
13. Of what does Yolanda try to convince herself as she runs to the park?
(a) That the neighborhood is safe.
(b) That Andrew is able to fight well.
(c) That Shirley can take responsibility for the cake and do fine.
(d) That other boys would protect Andrew.
14. How old is Andrew?
15. Why would Andrew not want to do drugs?
(a) He's afraid of his mother finding out.
(b) He's afraid of going to jail.
(c) It is too expensive.
(d) He has seen what drugs do to others.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what smell does Yolando wake?
2. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
3. What does Yolanda decide to bake?
4. What does Yolanda discover in the middle of the night?
5. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)