|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
(a) A gospel tune.
(b) "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
(c) "Old MacDonald."
(d) Some jazz.
2. Why is Andrew uninterested in the photograph?
(a) Andrew is afraid of dogs.
(b) Andrew thinks the parasol is silly.
(c) Andew does not care what happened several hundred years ago.
(d) The children in the photo do not resemble Andrew.
3. What do they call Yolanda on the bus?
(a) Nothing; they won't speak to her.
(d) Skinny Mini.
4. What does Yolanda's Momma find in Andrew's pocket?
(a) A bag of cocaine.
(b) A gun.
(c) A note from the drug dealer who shot the principal.
(d) A bag of marijuana.
5. For what is Andrew scolded?
(a) Not cleaning his flute properly.
(b) Returning Yolanda's pencils unsharpened.
(c) Sleeping in class.
(d) Leaving his harmonica out during a lesson.
6. Where does Yolanda's family live at the opening of the novel?
(b) Ann Arbor.
7. How old was Andrew when he received his first harmonica?
(c) A baby.
(d) About 8.
8. What did Andrew not know about what was in his pocket?
(a) The money is stolen.
(b) The substance is illegal.
(c) It is cocaine.
(d) The beatle is still alive.
9. Why doesn't Andrew feel connected to the sounds in the house?
(a) Because there is a stranger making noise in the house with his sister.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) Because of not having his harmonica.
(d) Because he has a cold and his ears are plugged.
10. What does Yolanda think about all day?
(a) The kind of cake she will make.
(b) How to manipulate her mother.
(c) Why Shirley is cozening up to her.
(d) Whether she really wants Shirley as a friend.
11. What has Andrew be nicknamed by some of the boys that hang out at Asphalt Hill?
(a) The Mouth.
(c) Soft shoe Andro.
(d) The Pied Piper.
12. Who thinks Andrew is interfering with business?
(a) The blind, old man who plays who trumpet for money on the corner.
(b) The hot dog vendor.
(c) The skating rink manager.
(d) The drug pushers.
13. How does Yolanda feel in her new home?
14. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(b) Yolanda's math teacher.
(c) Andrew's music teacher.
(d) Yolanda's English teacher.
15. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
(a) Talking with Shirley.
(b) Going to the public library.
(c) Talking with one of the boys who is skating.
(d) Reading a book under the tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Yolanda need to talk to someone?
2. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
3. What is Yolanda often called by the other students?
4. How old is Andrew?
5. What is failing to hold Andrew's interest?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)