|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is different about Vic Watts?
(a) He has a bad stutter.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is in a wheelchair.
(d) He is blind.
2. Of what does Yolanda try to convince herself as she runs to the park?
(a) That Andrew is able to fight well.
(b) That the neighborhood is safe.
(c) That Shirley can take responsibility for the cake and do fine.
(d) That other boys would protect Andrew.
3. How old was Andrew when he received his first harmonica?
(b) About 8.
(c) A baby.
4. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
(a) A gospel tune.
(b) "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
(c) Some jazz.
(d) "Old MacDonald."
5. What does Yolanda realize when she reads the word definition?
(a) She is not the true genius in the family.
(b) She is actually quite grown-up and infantile does not describe her.
(c) She is intelligent, but not exceptional.
(d) The word is an insult to others but not her.
6. Where is Yolanda's old crush Tyrone?
(d) Federal prison.
7. What do they call Yolanda on the bus?
(b) Nothing; they won't speak to her.
(c) Skinny Mini.
8. What does Yolanda think about all day?
(a) Why Shirley is cozening up to her.
(b) The kind of cake she will make.
(c) How to manipulate her mother.
(d) Whether she really wants Shirley as a friend.
9. How is Shirley?
(a) Angry that Yolanda left her to deal with the cake.
(b) Her eyes are full of tears.
(d) Excited at her first cake.
10. What picture does Miss Gilluly give Andrew and ask him what it is?
(a) A dog.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A train.
(d) A fire hydrant.
11. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) The lake near her house.
(b) Andrew playing his instruments.
(c) Having her own room.
(d) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
12. Who calls Yolanda this word?
(a) Yolanda's mother.
(c) A boy who sits behind her in class.
13. Who scolds Andrew?
(a) His music teacher.
(b) His mother.
(c) Miss Gilluly.
14. What does Yolanda miss about her former home?
(a) The sights, sounds and tastes.
(b) The public library which was a block away.
(c) The better schools.
(d) Her very best friend.
15. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
(a) If Yolanda studies for hours at night.
(b) Why Yolando does not report the students who harass Yolanda.
(c) Why Yolanda would want the teacher to call on her.
(d) If Yolanda is a genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was shot by the person with the gun?
2. What has Miss Gilluly given up trying to do?
3. What does Yolanda do to the biggest bully at school?
4. What other sound does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
5. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)