|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Shirley Piper?
(a) Yolanda's next-door neighbor.
(b) A girl who saves a seat on the bus for Yolanda.
(c) Yolanda's favorite teacher.
(d) The principal at Yolanda's new school.
2. Why is Andrew uninterested in the photograph?
(a) Andew does not care what happened several hundred years ago.
(b) Andrew thinks the parasol is silly.
(c) Andrew is afraid of dogs.
(d) The children in the photo do not resemble Andrew.
3. What picture does Miss Gilluly give Andrew and ask him what it is?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A dog.
(c) A train.
(d) A fire hydrant.
4. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
(a) She wants to save a piece of the cake for Andrew.
(b) She has a present for Andrew.
(c) She forgot to pick up Andrew at the park.
(d) She and Andrew have to stay with their father the next weekend.
5. What does Yolanda do to the biggest bully at school?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Ruins his food.
(c) Asks him for a chess match.
(d) Wrestles him to the ground.
6. What does Yolanda take Shirley through with painstaking detail?
(a) The way to make a poster presentation.
(b) The steps in making a cake.
(c) The steps in creating a rubric.
(d) The steps in the double-dutch form.
7. How old was Andrew when he received his first harmonica?
(a) A baby.
(b) About 8.
8. What does Andrew tell Yolanda finally concerning his harmonica?
(a) That he has decided to take up guitar.
(b) That he dropped it and it broke and he was so angry, he broke it the rest of the way.
(c) That drug pushers broke it.
(d) That is was going bad.
9. What is different about Vic Watts?
(a) He has a bad stutter.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is in a wheelchair.
(d) He is deaf.
10. How does Yolanda feel in her new home?
11. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) Andrew's music teacher.
(b) Yolanda's math teacher.
(c) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(d) Yolanda's English teacher.
12. What does Yolanda miss about her former home?
(a) The better schools.
(b) The public library which was a block away.
(c) Her very best friend.
(d) The sights, sounds and tastes.
13. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) Andrew playing his instruments.
(b) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
(c) Having her own room.
(d) The lake near her house.
14. What is Yolanda yelling to Shirley as Yolanda rushes out of the house?
(a) To call the police.
(b) To call Yolanda's mother.
(c) Directions to baking the cake.
(d) To lock the door when she leaves.
15. What is Yolanda's mother always pestering her to do?
(a) Learn to cook.
(b) Clean her room.
(c) Stop reading so much.
(d) Make friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Yolanda this word?
2. For what is Andrew scolded?
3. What does Yolanda realize when she reads the word definition?
4. What does Yolanda offer to teach Shirley?
5. What has Andrew be nicknamed by some of the boys that hang out at Asphalt Hill?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)