|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yolanda usually have when she answers a question in class?
(a) An additional comment about her answer.
(b) A group of students who clap.
(d) A big grin on her face.
2. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
(a) "Old MacDonald."
(b) Some jazz.
(c) A gospel tune.
(d) "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
3. How does Yolanda make the rest of the kids feel?
(b) Stupid because of her advanced vocabulary.
4. What other sound does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The cry of frogs who live in the stagnant water inside the tires.
(b) The bulldozers moving the trash around.
(c) The Doberman pincher barking at intruders.
(d) The cries of the boys who take a hill too daringly.
5. What does Andrew continue to do after school?
(a) Go to his music lessons.
(b) Work for the local music store to earn another harmonica.
(c) Go home because he has no friends.
(d) Play harmonica for the skaters.
6. What does Yolanda tell Shirley to test?
(a) Anyone who comes to the door and wants in.
(b) The softness of the couch.
(c) Yolanda's vocabulary size.
(d) The cake to see if it is done.
7. What does Yolanda take Shirley through with painstaking detail?
(a) The way to make a poster presentation.
(b) The steps in the double-dutch form.
(c) The steps in making a cake.
(d) The steps in creating a rubric.
8. Who was shot by the person with the gun?
(a) Students and a teacher.
(b) The other janitor.
(c) The principal.
(d) No one.
9. What is different about Vic Watts?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is in a wheelchair.
(d) He has a bad stutter.
10. What tension is there at Asphalt Hill?
(a) Between the skaters and the basketball players.
(b) Between kids from different schools.
(c) Between Andrew and the drug dealers.
(d) Between the older boys and the younger boys.
11. Why is Yolanda shouting at Andrew in the morning?
(a) She has found his harmonica.
(b) She wants him to get up.
(c) She is angry at him for leaving the house in the middle of the night.
(d) She is mad that he messes up the bathroom.
12. Of what does Yolanda try to convince herself as she runs to the park?
(a) That the neighborhood is safe.
(b) That other boys would protect Andrew.
(c) That Andrew is able to fight well.
(d) That Shirley can take responsibility for the cake and do fine.
13. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) The lake near her house.
(b) Having her own room.
(c) Andrew playing his instruments.
(d) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
14. What is Yolanda not allowed to do at home?
(a) Bake a cake.
(b) Talk on the phone for more than five minutes.
(c) Watch television.
(d) Interrupt Andrew's practice sessions.
15. What does Yolanda discover in the middle of the night?
(a) Her mom is sleeping on the couch.
(b) The cake is in the garbage.
(c) Shirley is sleeping on the couch.
(d) Andrew is not in his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they call Yolanda on the bus?
2. Why doesn't Andrew feel connected to the sounds in the house?
3. What is Yolanda's mother always pestering her to do?
4. How does Yolanda's mother's pestering figure into Yolanda getting to do something she likes to do?
5. How old was Andrew when he received his first harmonica?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)