|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Shirley?
(a) Angry that Yolanda left her to deal with the cake.
(c) Her eyes are full of tears.
(d) Excited at her first cake.
2. How does Yolanda's mother's pestering figure into Yolanda getting to do something she likes to do?
(a) She'll clean her room for company and then bake a cake for her friend.
(b) She'll stop reading if she can bake a cake.
(c) She'll use the excuse of making friends to bake a cake for her friend.
(d) She'll offer to learn how to make a dinner meal if she can bake a cake for the dessert.
3. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley?
(a) She thinks Shirley might want something in return for Shirley's kindness.
(b) She thinks Shirley is less popular than Yolanda so Shirley sits with her not to be alone.
(c) Yolanda is not suspicious of Shirley.
(d) She thinks Shirley might make fun of Yolanda behind her back.
4. How does Andrew seem when Yolanda reaches him at the park?
(d) Deeply upset.
5. Who thinks Andrew is interfering with business?
(a) The drug pushers.
(b) The hot dog vendor.
(c) The skating rink manager.
(d) The blind, old man who plays who trumpet for money on the corner.
6. What did Andrew not know about what was in his pocket?
(a) The beatle is still alive.
(b) It is cocaine.
(c) The money is stolen.
(d) The substance is illegal.
7. Who is Romulus Foster?
(a) A friend of Andrew's mother.
(b) One of the skaters who likes Andrew's playing.
(c) One of Andrew's classmates.
(d) The leader of the drug pushers.
8. How does Andrew wake up the family in the mornings?
(a) Playing his flute or harmonica.
(b) Playing his drums.
(c) Singing to the radio.
(d) Playing the stereo loudly and dancing.
9. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
(a) She wants to save a piece of the cake for Andrew.
(b) She has a present for Andrew.
(c) She forgot to pick up Andrew at the park.
(d) She and Andrew have to stay with their father the next weekend.
10. What does the Chimp do?
(a) Calls for the police.
(b) Hits Vic Watts.
(c) Smashes Andrew's harmonica.
(d) Intervenes for Andrew when some bullies are botherin him.
11. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(b) Andrew's music teacher.
(c) Yolanda's English teacher.
(d) Yolanda's math teacher.
12. What is failing to hold Andrew's interest?
(a) His mother's recitation of his father's traits.
(b) Learning to read English.
(c) Learning to read music.
(d) His friend's toy soldiers.
13. What is in an illustration that gives Andrew no motivation?
(a) Washington crossing the Delaware.
(b) A dog swimming with a white boy.
(c) The depiction of two white kids.
(d) A white girl walking with a parasol.
14. What will be better with the move?
(a) It will costs less to live.
(b) They will own their own home.
(c) The neighborhood will be safer.
(d) The apartment will be bigger.
15. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
(c) Not quite done.
(d) Burnt to a crisp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yolanda's family live at the opening of the novel?
2. About what does Andrew dream?
3. What is Yolanda yelling to Shirley as Yolanda rushes out of the house?
4. Why doesn't Andrew feel connected to the sounds in the house?
5. What is Yolanda's mother always pestering her to do?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)