|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
(a) A gospel tune.
(b) "Old MacDonald."
(c) Some jazz.
(d) "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
2. What tension is there at Asphalt Hill?
(a) Between the older boys and the younger boys.
(b) Between Andrew and the drug dealers.
(c) Between kids from different schools.
(d) Between the skaters and the basketball players.
3. Why does Yolanda look up the word?
(a) To figure out if she really is one.
(b) To compliment her mother with something nice.
(c) To have a smart rejoinder for the boy the next day.
(d) To have a comment to Andrew.
4. How often had Shirley checked on the cake?
(a) She forgot to check on it altogether.
(b) Every five minutes.
(c) Every minute.
(d) Every half hour.
5. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
(a) Burnt to a crisp.
(b) Not quite done.
6. What does Yolanda do to the biggest bully at school?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Ruins his food.
(c) Wrestles him to the ground.
(d) Asks him for a chess match.
7. What did Andrew not know about what was in his pocket?
(a) The substance is illegal.
(b) It is cocaine.
(c) The beatle is still alive.
(d) The money is stolen.
8. Where does Yolanda's mother decide to move her family?
(b) Grand River.
9. Why doesn't Andrew feel connected to the sounds in the house?
(a) Because there is a stranger making noise in the house with his sister.
(b) Because of not having his harmonica.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) Because he has a cold and his ears are plugged.
10. What does Shirley hope Yolanda will teach her?
(a) How to study for an exam.
(b) How to increase Shirley's vocabularly.
(c) How to talk the librarian into letting her check out more than three books.
(d) How to do double-dutch.
11. What does Yolanda do a lot of in the classroom?
(a) Talk to her neighbors.
(c) Write notes.
(d) Raise her hand.
12. What will be better with the move?
(a) The neighborhood will be safer.
(b) They will own their own home.
(c) It will costs less to live.
(d) The apartment will be bigger.
13. What sounds does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The tires settling when they throw a new batch on the pile.
(b) The seagulls eating the garbage.
(c) The metal being smashed.
(d) The wheels on concrete.
14. How does Andrew wake up the family in the mornings?
(a) Playing his flute or harmonica.
(b) Playing his drums.
(c) Singing to the radio.
(d) Playing the stereo loudly and dancing.
15. Who is Shirley Piper?
(a) Yolanda's favorite teacher.
(b) Yolanda's next-door neighbor.
(c) The principal at Yolanda's new school.
(d) A girl who saves a seat on the bus for Yolanda.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Yolanda's family live at the opening of the novel?
2. What is Yolanda not allowed to do at home?
3. What is different about Vic Watts?
4. What does Vic show Andrew?
5. What other sound does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)