|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Willie Meredith?
(a) A student who is shot dead.
(b) The janitor who brings the gun to school.
(c) The janitor who is dead.
(d) The principal who is dead.
2. What does Andrew think he is supposed to do?
(a) Draw the picture.
(b) Look for something hidden in the picture.
(c) Tell Miss Giluly how to spell train.
(d) He has no idea.
3. What does Romulus ask of Andrew?
(a) To give him Andrew's second-best harmonica.
(b) To get closer to the rink so the skaters can hear him better.
(c) What Andrew would get for his mother's birthday.
(d) To play some notes on the harmonica.
4. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(b) Andrew's music teacher.
(c) Yolanda's English teacher.
(d) Yolanda's math teacher.
5. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
6. What does Yolanda offer to teach Shirley?
(a) How to make lasagna.
(b) How to bake the perfect cake.
(c) How to make money at a lemonade stand.
(d) How to write cursive.
7. What does Andrew tell Yolanda finally concerning his harmonica?
(a) That is was going bad.
(b) That he dropped it and it broke and he was so angry, he broke it the rest of the way.
(c) That he has decided to take up guitar.
(d) That drug pushers broke it.
8. What is in an illustration that gives Andrew no motivation?
(a) Washington crossing the Delaware.
(b) A dog swimming with a white boy.
(c) A white girl walking with a parasol.
(d) The depiction of two white kids.
9. What is failing to hold Andrew's interest?
(a) His mother's recitation of his father's traits.
(b) Learning to read English.
(c) Learning to read music.
(d) His friend's toy soldiers.
10. Why does Yolanda look up the word?
(a) To figure out if she really is one.
(b) To compliment her mother with something nice.
(c) To have a comment to Andrew.
(d) To have a smart rejoinder for the boy the next day.
11. What is Yolanda often called by the other students?
(a) Brown noser.
(b) Miss Know It All.
(c) Teacher's Mosquito.
(d) Teacher's Pet (Elephant).
12. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
(a) Going to the public library.
(b) Reading a book under the tree.
(c) Talking with Shirley.
(d) Talking with one of the boys who is skating.
13. Who was shot by the person with the gun?
(a) The principal.
(b) The other janitor.
(c) Students and a teacher.
(d) No one.
14. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
(a) She forgot to pick up Andrew at the park.
(b) She wants to save a piece of the cake for Andrew.
(c) She and Andrew have to stay with their father the next weekend.
(d) She has a present for Andrew.
15. How does Yolanda's mother's pestering figure into Yolanda getting to do something she likes to do?
(a) She'll use the excuse of making friends to bake a cake for her friend.
(b) She'll stop reading if she can bake a cake.
(c) She'll clean her room for company and then bake a cake for her friend.
(d) She'll offer to learn how to make a dinner meal if she can bake a cake for the dessert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yolanda's mother always pestering her to do?
2. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
3. What does Shirley hope Yolanda will teach her?
4. Why would Andrew not want to do drugs?
5. What does Andrew continue to do after school?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)