|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) Andrew playing his instruments.
(b) The lake near her house.
(c) Having her own room.
(d) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
2. What is wrong with Andrew's momma?
(a) She is always tired.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She has a bad back.
(d) She has bad arthritis.
3. What is Yolanda's mother always pestering her to do?
(a) Learn to cook.
(b) Clean her room.
(c) Stop reading so much.
(d) Make friends.
4. How does Andrew seem when Yolanda reaches him at the park?
(a) Deeply upset.
5. How is Shirley?
(b) Angry that Yolanda left her to deal with the cake.
(c) Excited at her first cake.
(d) Her eyes are full of tears.
6. What sounds does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The metal being smashed.
(b) The wheels on concrete.
(c) The tires settling when they throw a new batch on the pile.
(d) The seagulls eating the garbage.
7. What does Yolanda think about all day?
(a) How to manipulate her mother.
(b) Whether she really wants Shirley as a friend.
(c) The kind of cake she will make.
(d) Why Shirley is cozening up to her.
8. What is in an illustration that gives Andrew no motivation?
(a) The depiction of two white kids.
(b) Washington crossing the Delaware.
(c) A white girl walking with a parasol.
(d) A dog swimming with a white boy.
9. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
(a) Iron their clothes.
(b) Pray with them.
(c) Inspect them for the school day.
(d) Make breakfast.
10. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
(a) Some jazz.
(b) A gospel tune.
(c) "Old MacDonald."
(d) "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
11. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
12. What lie has come back to haunt Yolanda?
(a) About her father being dead.
(b) About her abilities as a psychic.
(c) About her abilities as a jump roper.
(d) About her mother's supposed illness.
13. What is Asphalt Hill?
(a) A pile of tires about one hundred feet high.
(b) Where skaters practice.
(c) The dump behind Yolanda's home.
(d) The scrapeyard.
14. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
(a) Talking with Shirley.
(b) Talking with one of the boys who is skating.
(c) Reading a book under the tree.
(d) Going to the public library.
15. What was Andrew told would help his Momma?
(a) Finding a husband.
(b) A vacation.
(d) For her children to behave better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yolanda take Shirley through with painstaking detail?
2. What do they call Yolanda on the bus?
3. What does Yolanda realize when she reads the word definition?
4. Who thinks Andrew is interfering with business?
5. What does Yolanda usually have when she answers a question in class?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)