|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yolanda's mother decide to move her family?
(c) Grand River.
2. Where is Yolanda's old crush Tyrone?
(c) Federal prison.
3. How does Shirley respond to Yolanda talking to her?
(a) She tells Yolanda to be quiet.
(b) She thinks Yolanda is crazy.
(c) She hangs on Yolanda's every word.
(d) She pretends to be listening but is just daydreaming.
4. What does Yolanda take Shirley through with painstaking detail?
(a) The steps in creating a rubric.
(b) The steps in the double-dutch form.
(c) The way to make a poster presentation.
(d) The steps in making a cake.
5. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) Andrew's music teacher.
(b) Yolanda's math teacher.
(c) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(d) Yolanda's English teacher.
6. What does Yolanda's mother hope Andrew some day becomes?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A musician.
7. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
(a) Going to the public library.
(b) Reading a book under the tree.
(c) Talking with Shirley.
(d) Talking with one of the boys who is skating.
8. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
(a) Why Yolando does not report the students who harass Yolanda.
(b) If Yolanda is a genius.
(c) Why Yolanda would want the teacher to call on her.
(d) If Yolanda studies for hours at night.
9. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) Andrew playing his instruments.
(b) Having her own room.
(c) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
(d) The lake near her house.
10. How does Yolanda make the rest of the kids feel?
(a) Stupid because of her advanced vocabulary.
11. Why does Yolanda look up the word?
(a) To compliment her mother with something nice.
(b) To have a smart rejoinder for the boy the next day.
(c) To figure out if she really is one.
(d) To have a comment to Andrew.
12. What does Yolanda discover in the middle of the night?
(a) Andrew is not in his bed.
(b) Her mom is sleeping on the couch.
(c) The cake is in the garbage.
(d) Shirley is sleeping on the couch.
13. To what smell does Yolando wake?
(a) Fish frying and waffles sizzling.
(b) Her dog breathing in her face.
(c) Bacon frying and pancakes cooking.
(d) Tar when the road is being repaired.
14. Who came into the school with a gun?
(a) A drug dealer.
(b) A janitor.
(c) A student.
(d) A teacher.
15. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yolanda decide to bake?
2. What does the Chimp do?
3. What does Yolanda offer to teach Shirley?
4. What did Andrew not know about what was in his pocket?
5. What lie has come back to haunt Yolanda?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)