|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Yolanda yelling to Shirley as Yolanda rushes out of the house?
(a) Directions to baking the cake.
(b) To call Yolanda's mother.
(c) To call the police.
(d) To lock the door when she leaves.
2. What is Yolanda often called by the other students?
(a) Teacher's Mosquito.
(b) Miss Know It All.
(c) Brown noser.
(d) Teacher's Pet (Elephant).
3. How does Yolanda feel in her new home?
4. What is failing to hold Andrew's interest?
(a) His mother's recitation of his father's traits.
(b) His friend's toy soldiers.
(c) Learning to read music.
(d) Learning to read English.
5. What picture does Miss Gilluly give Andrew and ask him what it is?
(a) A police officer.
(b) A fire hydrant.
(c) A dog.
(d) A train.
6. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(b) Yolanda's English teacher.
(c) Andrew's music teacher.
(d) Yolanda's math teacher.
7. What does Yolanda do to the biggest bully at school?
(a) Asks him for a chess match.
(b) Ruins his food.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Wrestles him to the ground.
8. What tension is there at Asphalt Hill?
(a) Between Andrew and the drug dealers.
(b) Between the skaters and the basketball players.
(c) Between the older boys and the younger boys.
(d) Between kids from different schools.
9. What does Yolanda take Shirley through with painstaking detail?
(a) The steps in the double-dutch form.
(b) The way to make a poster presentation.
(c) The steps in creating a rubric.
(d) The steps in making a cake.
10. Who thinks Andrew is interfering with business?
(a) The blind, old man who plays who trumpet for money on the corner.
(b) The drug pushers.
(c) The skating rink manager.
(d) The hot dog vendor.
11. What does Yolanda realize when she reads the word definition?
(a) She is actually quite grown-up and infantile does not describe her.
(b) The word is an insult to others but not her.
(c) She is not the true genius in the family.
(d) She is intelligent, but not exceptional.
12. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
(b) Having her own room.
(c) Andrew playing his instruments.
(d) The lake near her house.
13. What does Yolanda's Momma find in Andrew's pocket?
(a) A bag of cocaine.
(b) A note from the drug dealer who shot the principal.
(c) A bag of marijuana.
(d) A gun.
14. Why would Andrew not want to do drugs?
(a) He's afraid of his mother finding out.
(b) It is too expensive.
(c) He has seen what drugs do to others.
(d) He's afraid of going to jail.
15. To what smell does Yolando wake?
(a) Tar when the road is being repaired.
(b) Bacon frying and pancakes cooking.
(c) Fish frying and waffles sizzling.
(d) Her dog breathing in her face.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yolanda's mother's pestering figure into Yolanda getting to do something she likes to do?
2. What does Yolanda suddenly remember when Shirley mentions Andrew?
3. What word does Yolanda look up in the dictionary?
4. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
5. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)