|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yolanda's mother hope Andrew some day becomes?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A musician.
2. What has Miss Gilluly given up trying to do?
(a) Getting her students to want to learn.
(b) Teach Andrew to read.
(c) Get a promotion.
(d) Stop Yolanda from raising her hand in class so much.
3. How is Shirley?
(b) Excited at her first cake.
(c) Angry that Yolanda left her to deal with the cake.
(d) Her eyes are full of tears.
4. What does Shirley hope Yolanda will teach her?
(a) How to study for an exam.
(b) How to talk the librarian into letting her check out more than three books.
(c) How to increase Shirley's vocabularly.
(d) How to do double-dutch.
5. Who thinks Andrew is interfering with business?
(a) The drug pushers.
(b) The blind, old man who plays who trumpet for money on the corner.
(c) The hot dog vendor.
(d) The skating rink manager.
6. Where does Yolanda's mother decide to move her family?
(d) Grand River.
7. What is Yolanda yelling to Shirley as Yolanda rushes out of the house?
(a) Directions to baking the cake.
(b) To call Yolanda's mother.
(c) To lock the door when she leaves.
(d) To call the police.
8. What does Yolanda offer to teach Shirley?
(a) How to bake the perfect cake.
(b) How to make lasagna.
(c) How to write cursive.
(d) How to make money at a lemonade stand.
9. Who is Stoney Buxton?
(a) A boy who is learning harmonica also.
(b) A boy who is learning to play the flute.
(c) A drug dealer in the neighborhood.
(d) A skater who says he does better when Andrew is playing his harmonica.
10. What cheers Yolanda's spirits?
(a) Shirley is still impressed with Yolanda's genius.
(b) Andrew eats a big piece of the cake and seems better.
(c) Andrew is safe and plays them a song on his harmonica.
(d) The cake tastes great.
11. What is Yolanda doing while Andrew is playing his harmonica near Asphalt Hill?
(a) Talking with Shirley.
(b) Talking with one of the boys who is skating.
(c) Going to the public library.
(d) Reading a book under the tree.
12. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
(a) Make breakfast.
(b) Inspect them for the school day.
(c) Pray with them.
(d) Iron their clothes.
13. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(b) Andrew's music teacher.
(c) Yolanda's English teacher.
(d) Yolanda's math teacher.
14. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) Andrew playing his instruments.
(b) Having her own room.
(c) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
(d) The lake near her house.
15. What does Yolanda do to the biggest bully at school?
(a) Asks him for a chess match.
(b) Slaps him.
(c) Wrestles him to the ground.
(d) Ruins his food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yolanda not allowed to do at home?
2. Why is Andrew uninterested in the photograph?
3. What is failing to hold Andrew's interest?
4. What has Andrew be nicknamed by some of the boys that hang out at Asphalt Hill?
5. Why is Yolanda shouting at Andrew in the morning?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)