|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Yolanda's old crush Tyrone?
(a) Federal prison.
2. For what is Andrew scolded?
(a) Not cleaning his flute properly.
(b) Returning Yolanda's pencils unsharpened.
(c) Sleeping in class.
(d) Leaving his harmonica out during a lesson.
3. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(b) Yolanda's math teacher.
(c) Yolanda's English teacher.
(d) Andrew's music teacher.
4. Of what does Yolanda try to convince herself as she runs to the park?
(a) That Shirley can take responsibility for the cake and do fine.
(b) That the neighborhood is safe.
(c) That other boys would protect Andrew.
(d) That Andrew is able to fight well.
5. How does Yolanda feel in her new home?
6. What does Andrew think he is supposed to do?
(a) He has no idea.
(b) Look for something hidden in the picture.
(c) Tell Miss Giluly how to spell train.
(d) Draw the picture.
7. What is one group that hangs out at Asphalt Hill?
(a) Drug pushers.
(d) Girls watching the boys.
8. How does Andrew wake up the family in the mornings?
(a) Playing his drums.
(b) Playing the stereo loudly and dancing.
(c) Singing to the radio.
(d) Playing his flute or harmonica.
9. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
(a) Why Yolando does not report the students who harass Yolanda.
(b) If Yolanda is a genius.
(c) If Yolanda studies for hours at night.
(d) Why Yolanda would want the teacher to call on her.
10. What has Andrew be nicknamed by some of the boys that hang out at Asphalt Hill?
(a) The Pied Piper.
(c) The Mouth.
(d) Soft shoe Andro.
11. How does Andrew seem when Yolanda reaches him at the park?
(b) Deeply upset.
12. What has Miss Gilluly given up trying to do?
(a) Get a promotion.
(b) Teach Andrew to read.
(c) Getting her students to want to learn.
(d) Stop Yolanda from raising her hand in class so much.
13. Who is Willie Meredith?
(a) A student who is shot dead.
(b) The principal who is dead.
(c) The janitor who is dead.
(d) The janitor who brings the gun to school.
14. Why would Andrew not want to do drugs?
(a) He has seen what drugs do to others.
(b) He's afraid of going to jail.
(c) He's afraid of his mother finding out.
(d) It is too expensive.
15. What do they call Yolanda on the bus?
(a) Nothing; they won't speak to her.
(d) Skinny Mini.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks Andrew is interfering with business?
2. What tension is there at Asphalt Hill?
3. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
4. What is different about Vic Watts?
5. What is Asphalt Hill?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)