|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vic ask Andrew to play on Andrew's harmonica?
(a) "Old MacDonald."
(b) Some jazz.
(c) "Battle Hymn of the Republic."
(d) A gospel tune.
2. What sounds does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The tires settling when they throw a new batch on the pile.
(b) The wheels on concrete.
(c) The seagulls eating the garbage.
(d) The metal being smashed.
3. What does Vic show Andrew?
(a) Carnegie Hall to demonstrate to Andrew where he could end up.
(b) His talking wristwatch.
(c) The electric controls on his wheelchair.
(d) The sheet music for the song Andrew plays.
4. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) The lake near her house.
(b) Andrew playing his instruments.
(c) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
(d) Having her own room.
5. Why is Yolanda shouting at Andrew in the morning?
(a) She is angry at him for leaving the house in the middle of the night.
(b) She wants him to get up.
(c) She is mad that he messes up the bathroom.
(d) She has found his harmonica.
6. What does Yolanda take Shirley through with painstaking detail?
(a) The way to make a poster presentation.
(b) The steps in creating a rubric.
(c) The steps in making a cake.
(d) The steps in the double-dutch form.
7. Who came into the school with a gun?
(a) A janitor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A drug dealer.
(d) A student.
8. What does Yolanda discover in the middle of the night?
(a) Shirley is sleeping on the couch.
(b) Her mom is sleeping on the couch.
(c) The cake is in the garbage.
(d) Andrew is not in his bed.
9. What does Momma always do for her children before leaving for work?
(a) Make breakfast.
(b) Iron their clothes.
(c) Inspect them for the school day.
(d) Pray with them.
10. What do they call Yolanda on the bus?
(a) Nothing; they won't speak to her.
(d) Skinny Mini.
11. What does Shirley hope Yolanda will teach her?
(a) How to study for an exam.
(b) How to increase Shirley's vocabularly.
(c) How to talk the librarian into letting her check out more than three books.
(d) How to do double-dutch.
12. What does Yolanda's Momma find in Andrew's pocket?
(a) A bag of marijuana.
(b) A note from the drug dealer who shot the principal.
(c) A gun.
(d) A bag of cocaine.
13. What is Asphalt Hill?
(a) Where skaters practice.
(b) The scrapeyard.
(c) A pile of tires about one hundred feet high.
(d) The dump behind Yolanda's home.
14. How is the cake when Yolanda arrives back home?
(c) Burnt to a crisp.
(d) Not quite done.
15. What is wrong with Andrew's momma?
(a) She has a bad back.
(b) She is blind.
(c) She is always tired.
(d) She has bad arthritis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Willie Meredith?
2. What is Yolanda often called by the other students?
3. About what does Andrew dream?
4. What was Andrew told would help his Momma?
5. What is Yolanda yelling to Shirley as Yolanda rushes out of the house?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)