|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Yolanda go on the bus?
(a) To buy Andrew a harmonica.
(b) To visit her father.
(c) To see a friend.
(d) To Shirley's house.
2. What does Yolanda decide to bake?
(a) A brownie fudge cake.
(b) A chocolate fudge cake with walnuts.
(c) An orange date nut cake.
(d) A carrot cake.
3. What other sound does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The cries of the boys who take a hill too daringly.
(b) The cry of frogs who live in the stagnant water inside the tires.
(c) The Doberman pincher barking at intruders.
(d) The bulldozers moving the trash around.
4. What is Yolanda yelling to Shirley as Yolanda rushes out of the house?
(a) To lock the door when she leaves.
(b) To call the police.
(c) Directions to baking the cake.
(d) To call Yolanda's mother.
5. Who is Shirley Piper?
(a) A girl who saves a seat on the bus for Yolanda.
(b) The principal at Yolanda's new school.
(c) Yolanda's next-door neighbor.
(d) Yolanda's favorite teacher.
6. What is one group that hangs out at Asphalt Hill?
(a) Girls watching the boys.
(d) Drug pushers.
7. Why is Andrew uninterested in the photograph?
(a) The children in the photo do not resemble Andrew.
(b) Andrew is afraid of dogs.
(c) Andrew thinks the parasol is silly.
(d) Andew does not care what happened several hundred years ago.
8. What sounds does Andrew like to hear on Asphalt Hill?
(a) The wheels on concrete.
(b) The tires settling when they throw a new batch on the pile.
(c) The metal being smashed.
(d) The seagulls eating the garbage.
9. What does Yolanda discover in the middle of the night?
(a) Her mom is sleeping on the couch.
(b) The cake is in the garbage.
(c) Andrew is not in his bed.
(d) Shirley is sleeping on the couch.
10. What is in an illustration that gives Andrew no motivation?
(a) Washington crossing the Delaware.
(b) A white girl walking with a parasol.
(c) A dog swimming with a white boy.
(d) The depiction of two white kids.
11. What does Yolanda think about all day?
(a) Why Shirley is cozening up to her.
(b) Whether she really wants Shirley as a friend.
(c) The kind of cake she will make.
(d) How to manipulate her mother.
12. How does Andrew wake up the family in the mornings?
(a) Playing his flute or harmonica.
(b) Singing to the radio.
(c) Playing his drums.
(d) Playing the stereo loudly and dancing.
13. Why is Yolanda suspicious of Shirley?
(a) She thinks Shirley might want something in return for Shirley's kindness.
(b) She thinks Shirley is less popular than Yolanda so Shirley sits with her not to be alone.
(c) Yolanda is not suspicious of Shirley.
(d) She thinks Shirley might make fun of Yolanda behind her back.
14. Why doesn't Andrew feel connected to the sounds in the house?
(a) Because he has a cold and his ears are plugged.
(b) He is asleep.
(c) Because of not having his harmonica.
(d) Because there is a stranger making noise in the house with his sister.
15. What is different about Vic Watts?
(a) He has a bad stutter.
(b) He is in a wheelchair.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is blind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Miss Gilluly given up trying to do?
2. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
3. How is Shirley?
4. How does Yolanda make the rest of the kids feel?
5. What does Yolanda usually have when she answers a question in class?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)