|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yolanda do to the biggest bully at school?
(a) Asks him for a chess match.
(b) Ruins his food.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Wrestles him to the ground.
2. What does Yolanda tell Shirley to test?
(a) The softness of the couch.
(b) Yolanda's vocabulary size.
(c) Anyone who comes to the door and wants in.
(d) The cake to see if it is done.
3. Why does Yolanda look up the word?
(a) To have a comment to Andrew.
(b) To compliment her mother with something nice.
(c) To have a smart rejoinder for the boy the next day.
(d) To figure out if she really is one.
4. What does Shirley Piper wonder about Yolanda?
(a) If Yolanda studies for hours at night.
(b) If Yolanda is a genius.
(c) Why Yolando does not report the students who harass Yolanda.
(d) Why Yolanda would want the teacher to call on her.
5. What does the Chimp do?
(a) Calls for the police.
(b) Intervenes for Andrew when some bullies are botherin him.
(c) Smashes Andrew's harmonica.
(d) Hits Vic Watts.
6. How does Yolanda make the rest of the kids feel?
(d) Stupid because of her advanced vocabulary.
7. What does Andrew think he is supposed to do?
(a) Tell Miss Giluly how to spell train.
(b) Look for something hidden in the picture.
(c) Draw the picture.
(d) He has no idea.
8. What does Andrew tell Yolanda finally concerning his harmonica?
(a) That he dropped it and it broke and he was so angry, he broke it the rest of the way.
(b) That drug pushers broke it.
(c) That is was going bad.
(d) That he has decided to take up guitar.
9. What is wrong with Andrew's momma?
(a) She has a bad back.
(b) She has bad arthritis.
(c) She is always tired.
(d) She is blind.
10. Who is Vic Watts?
(a) Yolanda's math teacher.
(b) A black man called in to try to teach Andrew to read.
(c) Yolanda's English teacher.
(d) Andrew's music teacher.
11. What picture does Miss Gilluly give Andrew and ask him what it is?
(a) A dog.
(b) A train.
(c) A police officer.
(d) A fire hydrant.
12. How does Yolanda feel in her new home?
13. How many terrible things have happened recently in Yolanda's life?
14. What makes Yolanda feel better when she is thinking about her old home?
(a) Going down to where musicians jam in the park.
(b) Andrew playing his instruments.
(c) Having her own room.
(d) The lake near her house.
15. What does Yolanda miss about her former home?
(a) The public library which was a block away.
(b) The sights, sounds and tastes.
(c) Her very best friend.
(d) The better schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shirley mean when she tells Yolanda that it takes one to know one?
2. About what does Andrew dream?
3. What lie has come back to haunt Yolanda?
4. How does Andrew wake up the family in the mornings?
5. Who came into the school with a gun?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)