* The novel opens with Yolanda thinking about the two terrible things that have happened recently.
* A boy brought a gun to school and killed one student and wounded other students and a teacher.
* Yolanda's mother finds a bag of cocaine in Andrew's pocket, given to him by drug dealers and decides to take her children away from Chicago.
* In Grand River, Michigan, Yolanda's new home, she feels sad almost all the time.
* Yolanda misses her friends and the familiarity of the streets of her neighborhood in Chicago.
* Andrew's music comforts both Yolanda and her momma.
* Yolanda is picked upon by the other students on the bus because of her size, and she retaliates by intimidating the main bully.
* One student, Shirley Piper, is impressed with Yolanda's vocabulary and saves a seat on the bus for her.
* Even though Yolanda is tempted to discount Shirley because the girl...
This section contains 1,781 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)