|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new plan does the rector want the townspeople to undertake?
2. What does the presence of the cockerel mean to Anna?
3. Why is the rector constantly tired?
4. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
5. What does the armed woman have in her arms at the Thanksgiving service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
2. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
3. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
4. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
5. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
6. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
7. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
8. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
9. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
10. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the similarities and differences between Sam Frith and George Viccars. What needs would/did both fulfill for Anna? Who, in your opinion, would be better for Anna? Do either of these characters live up to the image of the rector that Anna has? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the first time Anna is asked to assist in delivering a child. Why is she so apprehensive about it? What, besides her lack of expertise, makes her lack confidence? How does she regain confidence? How is this significant?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)