|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What business does the rector take care of before mourning Elinor's death?
2. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
3. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
4. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
5. Where is Elinor buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
2. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
3. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
4. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
5. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
8. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
9. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
10. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider John Gordon's fate in the novel. What measures does he take to protect himself against the plague? Did Urith believe the same as he did? How does she show this? Do you think their situation influenced Anna in some way? Why? Make sure to use specific examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the first time Anna is asked to assist in delivering a child. Why is she so apprehensive about it? What, besides her lack of expertise, makes her lack confidence? How does she regain confidence? How is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Elinor's past. Why do you think she tells Anna about this? What does the rector do to punish Elinor for these past transgressions? Does he regret it later? Why? How does Anna react to all of this?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)