|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
2. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
3. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
4. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
5. What dangerous method does Anna use in the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
2. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
3. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
4. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
5. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
6. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
7. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
8. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
9. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
10. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about all the tragic events Anna witnesses during the plague. Which of these, in your opinion, influenced her the most in forging her own life far away from the village and all the people she knows? Why? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's role in the rectory. Do you think she was just a servant? Why? Do you think her role as a leader evolves greatly throughout the novel? Why?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)