|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
2. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
3. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
4. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
5. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
2. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
3. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
4. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
5. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
6. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
7. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
8. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
9. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
10. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's decision to use fire in Merry's Wickford's family mine. Do you think this was an intelligent decision? What might cause Anna to risk her life so readily? What does she see as she starts to lose consciousness? Do you think perhaps Anna was looking forward to death? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)