|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Anna think she sees when she tries to light a fire in the cottage?
2. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
3. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
4. What is Aphra doing when Anna comes to check on her?
5. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
2. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
3. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
4. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
5. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
6. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
7. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
8. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
9. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
10. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the different ways the villagers stray from the rector's instruction to try to combat the plague. Cite at least three examples of the villager's use of magic or other extreme measures to try to protect their loved ones. Do you think these methods are harmful? More harmful than the rector's plan/ method? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the similarities and differences between Sam Frith and George Viccars. What needs would/did both fulfill for Anna? Who, in your opinion, would be better for Anna? Do either of these characters live up to the image of the rector that Anna has? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the first time Anna is asked to assist in delivering a child. Why is she so apprehensive about it? What, besides her lack of expertise, makes her lack confidence? How does she regain confidence? How is this significant?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)