|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aphra run at Anna with when Anna bursts in the door?
2. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
3. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
4. What does the armed woman have in her arms at the Thanksgiving service?
5. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
2. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
3. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
4. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
5. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
6. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
7. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
8. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
9. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
10. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the rector's internal struggle. After Elinor's death, he no longer believes in God, and denounces all his actions leading up to his relationship with Anna. Do you think he regrets his treatment of Elinor? If so, does Anna have good reason to be repulsed by him? If he vows that he is a changed man, that he has shed all of his papal learning, should Anna still judge him for his previous acts? Why?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)