|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
2. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
3. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
4. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
5. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
Essay Topic 1
Consider John Gordon's fate in the novel. What measures does he take to protect himself against the plague? Did Urith believe the same as he did? How does she show this? Do you think their situation influenced Anna in some way? Why? Make sure to use specific examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 3
Anna and Elinor have a very close relationship in the novel, almost that of mother and daughter. Discuss the evolution of their relationship, and how Elinor fills a void in Anna's life, especially after the loss of her sons. Think of Anna's upbringing, her class, and job.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)