|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
2. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
3. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
4. Why is the rector constantly tired?
5. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
2. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
3. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
4. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
5. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
6. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
7. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
8. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
9. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
10. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Elinor's past. Why do you think she tells Anna about this? What does the rector do to punish Elinor for these past transgressions? Does he regret it later? Why? How does Anna react to all of this?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the Bradford's cook, Maggie Cantwell. Why is she devastated when the Bradfords throw her out? Where does she have to go? Why will she not take Anna's offer? Does this affect what happens to her in the next town? Why? How does Maggie Cantwell die? What question does this pose in Anna?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)