|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sad marker does the town come upon in June?
2. What disappointing decision does the rector tell the church members during his sermon that he delivers while exhausted?
3. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
4. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
5. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
2. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
3. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
4. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
5. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
6. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
7. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
8. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
9. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
10. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the different ways the villagers stray from the rector's instruction to try to combat the plague. Cite at least three examples of the villager's use of magic or other extreme measures to try to protect their loved ones. Do you think these methods are harmful? More harmful than the rector's plan/ method? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)