|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of the Gordon cottage?
2. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
3. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
4. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
5. What new plan does the rector want the townspeople to undertake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
2. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
3. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
4. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
5. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
6. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
7. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
8. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
9. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
10. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's decision to use fire in Merry's Wickford's family mine. Do you think this was an intelligent decision? What might cause Anna to risk her life so readily? What does she see as she starts to lose consciousness? Do you think perhaps Anna was looking forward to death? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the Bradford's cook, Maggie Cantwell. Why is she devastated when the Bradfords throw her out? Where does she have to go? Why will she not take Anna's offer? Does this affect what happens to her in the next town? Why? How does Maggie Cantwell die? What question does this pose in Anna?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the different ways the villagers stray from the rector's instruction to try to combat the plague. Cite at least three examples of the villager's use of magic or other extreme measures to try to protect their loved ones. Do you think these methods are harmful? More harmful than the rector's plan/ method? Why?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)