|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
2. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
4. Why does the name of the rector's horse cause a stir in the village?
5. What does Anna feed the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Bradfords do after the sermon in the Chapter, "Venom in the Blood"? How is this related to class?
2. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
3. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
4. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
5. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
6. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
7. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
8. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
9. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
10. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Elinor's past. Why do you think she tells Anna about this? What does the rector do to punish Elinor for these past transgressions? Does he regret it later? Why? How does Anna react to all of this?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's father, Josiah. What events in his life have taught him to be a cold, callous character? How does his treatment of Anna estrange him from her? Do you think he deserves mercy for his actions? Why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)