|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
2. Who is Tom?
3. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
4. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
5. How long has the rector lived in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
2. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
3. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
4. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
5. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
6. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
7. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
8. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
9. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
10. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna and Elinor have a very close relationship in the novel, almost that of mother and daughter. Discuss the evolution of their relationship, and how Elinor fills a void in Anna's life, especially after the loss of her sons. Think of Anna's upbringing, her class, and job.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the different ways the villagers stray from the rector's instruction to try to combat the plague. Cite at least three examples of the villager's use of magic or other extreme measures to try to protect their loved ones. Do you think these methods are harmful? More harmful than the rector's plan/ method? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the first time Anna is asked to assist in delivering a child. Why is she so apprehensive about it? What, besides her lack of expertise, makes her lack confidence? How does she regain confidence? How is this significant?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)