|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rector refer to the plague as?
2. Why does Anys come to Anna's house?
3. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
4. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
5. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
2. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
3. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
4. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
5. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
6. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
7. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
8. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
9. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
10. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna and Elinor have a very close relationship in the novel, almost that of mother and daughter. Discuss the evolution of their relationship, and how Elinor fills a void in Anna's life, especially after the loss of her sons. Think of Anna's upbringing, her class, and job.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's role in the rectory. Do you think she was just a servant? Why? Do you think her role as a leader evolves greatly throughout the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
This section contains 1,674 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)