|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
2. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
3. What comes from London for Mr. Viccars?
4. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
5. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
2. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
3. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
4. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
5. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
6. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
7. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
8. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
9. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
10. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about all the tragic events Anna witnesses during the plague. Which of these, in your opinion, influenced her the most in forging her own life far away from the village and all the people she knows? Why? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the rector's internal struggle. After Elinor's death, he no longer believes in God, and denounces all his actions leading up to his relationship with Anna. Do you think he regrets his treatment of Elinor? If so, does Anna have good reason to be repulsed by him? If he vows that he is a changed man, that he has shed all of his papal learning, should Anna still judge him for his previous acts? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)