|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jamie?
2. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
3. What are Mary and Anna doing at the Hadfield residence in the chapter 'Rat-Fall'?
4. How long has the rector lived in the village?
5. Who does Anys live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Bradfords do after the sermon in the Chapter, "Venom in the Blood"? How is this related to class?
2. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
3. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
4. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
5. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
6. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
7. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
8. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
9. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
10. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's relationship with Lib Hancock. What telltale signs does the author show of their confidence in one another? How is that confidence broken? Is it ever truly mended? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 3
Think about all the tragic events Anna witnesses during the plague. Which of these, in your opinion, influenced her the most in forging her own life far away from the village and all the people she knows? Why? Explain in detail.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)