|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
2. Who is Thomas Stanley?
3. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
4. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
5. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
2. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
3. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
4. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
5. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
6. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
7. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
8. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
9. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
10. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Anys Gowdie as a character. What role does she fulfill in the novel? How is she different from the rest of the characters in the book? From the time she was a child, how has she fought the villagers on their ostracism and humiliation of her? How does her status as a "fighter" set her apart from the other villagers? Who takes up her example? Be sure to use detail.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
This section contains 1,689 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)