|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
2. Who is Anna referring to in this sentence? "She was a shrewd woman, in spite of all her superstitious fancies."
3. Who does Colonel Bradford insult during this interaction with the rector?
4. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
5. What is different about the young Martin girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
2. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
3. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
4. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
6. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
7. What was the relationship between Anys and George? How does Anna react to this?
8. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
9. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
10. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the rector's internal struggle. After Elinor's death, he no longer believes in God, and denounces all his actions leading up to his relationship with Anna. Do you think he regrets his treatment of Elinor? If so, does Anna have good reason to be repulsed by him? If he vows that he is a changed man, that he has shed all of his papal learning, should Anna still judge him for his previous acts? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Think about the similarities and differences between Sam Frith and George Viccars. What needs would/did both fulfill for Anna? Who, in your opinion, would be better for Anna? Do either of these characters live up to the image of the rector that Anna has? Why?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)