|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carries Mr. Viccars' body downstairs?
2. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
3. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
4. Who is Anna referring to in this sentence? "She was a shrewd woman, in spite of all her superstitious fancies."
5. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
2. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
3. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
4. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
5. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
6. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
7. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
8. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
9. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
10. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Elinor's past. Why do you think she tells Anna about this? What does the rector do to punish Elinor for these past transgressions? Does he regret it later? Why? How does Anna react to all of this?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the similarities and differences between Sam Frith and George Viccars. What needs would/did both fulfill for Anna? Who, in your opinion, would be better for Anna? Do either of these characters live up to the image of the rector that Anna has? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the first time Anna is asked to assist in delivering a child. Why is she so apprehensive about it? What, besides her lack of expertise, makes her lack confidence? How does she regain confidence? How is this significant?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)