|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Viccars die?
2. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
3. What is George Viccars' trade?
4. Who comes to the rectory demanding to see the rector, saying that their influence in the village is not to be ignored?
5. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
2. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
3. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
4. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
5. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
6. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
7. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
8. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
9. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
10. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the similarities and differences between Sam Frith and George Viccars. What needs would/did both fulfill for Anna? Who, in your opinion, would be better for Anna? Do either of these characters live up to the image of the rector that Anna has? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about the argument to stay or leave the village when the plague strikes. In the scene in Colonel Bradford's house, where the Londoner and rector debate methods of dealing with the plague, who seems to be more passionate about his position? Does this passion help when the time comes to use it? Who do you agree with? Why?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)