|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
2. What was strange about the autumn?
3. What ultimately happens to Maggie Cantwell?
4. What are Mary and Anna doing at the Hadfield residence in the chapter 'Rat-Fall'?
5. Why doesn't any of the murderous mob get prosecuted for their actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
2. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
3. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
4. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
5. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
6. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
7. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
8. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
9. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
10. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's relationship with Lib Hancock. What telltale signs does the author show of their confidence in one another? How is that confidence broken? Is it ever truly mended? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the argument to stay or leave the village when the plague strikes. In the scene in Colonel Bradford's house, where the Londoner and rector debate methods of dealing with the plague, who seems to be more passionate about his position? Does this passion help when the time comes to use it? Who do you agree with? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)