|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did George tell Anna to do with his possessions?
2. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
3. What punishment does Anna compare the plague to?
4. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
5. What rank is Henry Bradford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
2. What does Anna do to try to stop the crowd during the witch frenzy? Is this effective?
3. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
4. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
5. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
6. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
7. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
8. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
9. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
10. Why is Anna surprised when the rector comes upon her in the field? How does the rector react to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna and Elinor have a very close relationship in the novel, almost that of mother and daughter. Discuss the evolution of their relationship, and how Elinor fills a void in Anna's life, especially after the loss of her sons. Think of Anna's upbringing, her class, and job.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the argument to stay or leave the village when the plague strikes. In the scene in Colonel Bradford's house, where the Londoner and rector debate methods of dealing with the plague, who seems to be more passionate about his position? Does this passion help when the time comes to use it? Who do you agree with? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Consider John Gordon's fate in the novel. What measures does he take to protect himself against the plague? Did Urith believe the same as he did? How does she show this? Do you think their situation influenced Anna in some way? Why? Make sure to use specific examples in your answer.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)