|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam do when he found out how Anna's father had treated her as a child?
2. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
3. Who is Sam?
4. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
5. Who is very vocal about their doubts as to the rector's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
2. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
3. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
4. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
5. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
6. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
7. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
8. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
9. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
10. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Elinor's past. Why do you think she tells Anna about this? What does the rector do to punish Elinor for these past transgressions? Does he regret it later? Why? How does Anna react to all of this?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)