|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Sam do when he found out how Anna's father had treated her as a child?
2. Why doesn't Anna scold the stable boy?
3. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
4. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
5. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
2. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
3. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
4. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
5. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
6. What does Anna do to try to stop the crowd during the witch frenzy? Is this effective?
7. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
8. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
9. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
10. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's decision to use fire in Merry's Wickford's family mine. Do you think this was an intelligent decision? What might cause Anna to risk her life so readily? What does she see as she starts to lose consciousness? Do you think perhaps Anna was looking forward to death? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about the difference between the Gowdie garden and Elinor's garden. Are Mem's and Anys's fates much different from Elinor's? How might these gardens affect their deaths? Think specifically about the reasons for these characters' deaths and each garden's instrumentality in the survival of the village.
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's role in the rectory. Do you think she was just a servant? Why? Do you think her role as a leader evolves greatly throughout the novel? Why?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)