|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
2. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
3. What is the name of the rector's horse?
4. Why does Anna run home after the altercation with her father?
5. Who comes to talk to the Bradfords while they are packing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
2. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
3. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
4. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
5. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
6. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
7. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
8. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
9. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
10. What do the Bradfords do after the sermon in the Chapter, "Venom in the Blood"? How is this related to class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider John Gordon's fate in the novel. What measures does he take to protect himself against the plague? Did Urith believe the same as he did? How does she show this? Do you think their situation influenced Anna in some way? Why? Make sure to use specific examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's relationship with Lib Hancock. What telltale signs does the author show of their confidence in one another? How is that confidence broken? Is it ever truly mended? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about all the tragic events Anna witnesses during the plague. Which of these, in your opinion, influenced her the most in forging her own life far away from the village and all the people she knows? Why? Explain in detail.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)