|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
2. How did Sam die?
3. What condition is Maggie in when Anna leaves the tavern and sees her?
4. Who comes to Anna's door looking for lodging?
5. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
2. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
3. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
4. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
5. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
6. What was the relationship between Anys and George? How does Anna react to this?
7. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
8. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
9. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
10. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the Bradford's cook, Maggie Cantwell. Why is she devastated when the Bradfords throw her out? Where does she have to go? Why will she not take Anna's offer? Does this affect what happens to her in the next town? Why? How does Maggie Cantwell die? What question does this pose in Anna?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Elinor's past. Why do you think she tells Anna about this? What does the rector do to punish Elinor for these past transgressions? Does he regret it later? Why? How does Anna react to all of this?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)