Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
2. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
4. What is George Viccars' trade?
5. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
2. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
3. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
4. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
5. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
8. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
9. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
10. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the Bradford's cook, Maggie Cantwell. Why is she devastated when the Bradfords throw her out? Where does she have to go? Why will she not take Anna's offer? Does this affect what happens to her in the next town? Why? How does Maggie Cantwell die? What question does this pose in Anna?
Essay Topic 3
Consider John Gordon's fate in the novel. What measures does he take to protect himself against the plague? Did Urith believe the same as he did? How does she show this? Do you think their situation influenced Anna in some way? Why? Make sure to use specific examples in your answer.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)