|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
2. What does Anna do for the Bradfords?
3. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
4. What does the crowd do to Anys?
5. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
2. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
3. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
4. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
5. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
6. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
7. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
8. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
9. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
10. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's decision to use fire in Merry's Wickford's family mine. Do you think this was an intelligent decision? What might cause Anna to risk her life so readily? What does she see as she starts to lose consciousness? Do you think perhaps Anna was looking forward to death? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's questioning of her faith throughout the novel. What events cause her to question the only faith she has ever known? What specific questions are posed in her at times? Do you think this is why she leaves the village? Be sure to write in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)