|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
2. What was strange about the autumn?
3. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
4. How long has the rector lived in the village?
5. Who comes to talk to the Bradfords while they are packing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
2. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
3. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
4. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
5. What was the relationship between Anys and George? How does Anna react to this?
6. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
7. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
8. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
9. Why is Anna surprised when the rector comes upon her in the field? How does the rector react to this?
10. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the difference between the Gowdie garden and Elinor's garden. Are Mem's and Anys's fates much different from Elinor's? How might these gardens affect their deaths? Think specifically about the reasons for these characters' deaths and each garden's instrumentality in the survival of the village.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the similarities and differences between Sam Frith and George Viccars. What needs would/did both fulfill for Anna? Who, in your opinion, would be better for Anna? Do either of these characters live up to the image of the rector that Anna has? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)