|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the young Martin girl?
2. What question does Anna ask herself while sitting with Maggie?
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
4. What condition is Maggie in when Anna leaves the tavern and sees her?
5. Who comes to rescue the first accused witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
2. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
3. What does Anna do to try to stop the crowd during the witch frenzy? Is this effective?
4. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
5. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
6. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
7. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
8. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
9. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
10. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's relationship with Lib Hancock. What telltale signs does the author show of their confidence in one another? How is that confidence broken? Is it ever truly mended? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)