|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
2. What do Anna and her children find in the field?
3. What does the narrator do with the apples?
4. What is the name of the rector's horse?
5. Why does Anys come to Anna's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
2. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
3. What do the Bradfords do after the sermon in the Chapter, "Venom in the Blood"? How is this related to class?
4. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
5. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
6. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
7. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
8. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
9. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
10. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's relationship with Lib Hancock. What telltale signs does the author show of their confidence in one another? How is that confidence broken? Is it ever truly mended? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)