|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crowd do to Anys?
2. Who is Thomas Stanley?
3. Why does Anna run home after the dinner party at the Bradfords?
4. What is the narrator's name?
5. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
2. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
3. Why is Anna surprised when the rector comes upon her in the field? How does the rector react to this?
4. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
5. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
6. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
7. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
8. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
9. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
10. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the Bradford's cook, Maggie Cantwell. Why is she devastated when the Bradfords throw her out? Where does she have to go? Why will she not take Anna's offer? Does this affect what happens to her in the next town? Why? How does Maggie Cantwell die? What question does this pose in Anna?
Essay Topic 2
Consider Anys Gowdie as a character. What role does she fulfill in the novel? How is she different from the rest of the characters in the book? From the time she was a child, how has she fought the villagers on their ostracism and humiliation of her? How does her status as a "fighter" set her apart from the other villagers? Who takes up her example? Be sure to use detail.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the roles that Anna and Elinor fill for the rector. Then consider these two characters and their similarities and differences. How is Anna's role with the rector different from Elinor's? Does Anna betray Elinor after Elinor is dead? Why? Why does Anna decide to forge her own path instead of going to Elinor's father's house for safety?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)