Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
2. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
4. What is George Viccars' trade?
5. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
2. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
3. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
4. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
5. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
8. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
9. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
10. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
Essay Topic 1
Think about Anna's father, Josiah. What events in his life have taught him to be a cold, callous character? How does his treatment of Anna estrange him from her? Do you think he deserves mercy for his actions? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's decision to use fire in Merry's Wickford's family mine. Do you think this was an intelligent decision? What might cause Anna to risk her life so readily? What does she see as she starts to lose consciousness? Do you think perhaps Anna was looking forward to death? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's relationship with Lib Hancock. What telltale signs does the author show of their confidence in one another? How is that confidence broken? Is it ever truly mended? Why?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)