Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
2. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
4. What is George Viccars' trade?
5. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
2. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
3. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
4. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
5. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
8. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
9. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
10. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
Essay Topic 1
Consider Anys Gowdie as a character. What role does she fulfill in the novel? How is she different from the rest of the characters in the book? From the time she was a child, how has she fought the villagers on their ostracism and humiliation of her? How does her status as a "fighter" set her apart from the other villagers? Who takes up her example? Be sure to use detail.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the difference between the Gowdie garden and Elinor's garden. Are Mem's and Anys's fates much different from Elinor's? How might these gardens affect their deaths? Think specifically about the reasons for these characters' deaths and each garden's instrumentality in the survival of the village.
Essay Topic 3
How does Jane Martin change throughout the course of the novel? What do you think spurs this change? Why? Be sure to use at least three examples of her change in behavior.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)