|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
2. What rank is Henry Bradford?
3. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
4. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
5. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
2. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
3. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
4. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
5. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
6. What was the relationship between Anys and George? How does Anna react to this?
7. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
8. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
9. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
10. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the similarities and differences between Sam Frith and George Viccars. What needs would/did both fulfill for Anna? Who, in your opinion, would be better for Anna? Do either of these characters live up to the image of the rector that Anna has? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
Essay Topic 3
Anna and Elinor have a very close relationship in the novel, almost that of mother and daughter. Discuss the evolution of their relationship, and how Elinor fills a void in Anna's life, especially after the loss of her sons. Think of Anna's upbringing, her class, and job.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)