Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
2. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
4. What is George Viccars' trade?
5. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
2. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
3. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
4. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
5. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
8. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
9. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
10. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
Think about the difference between the Gowdie garden and Elinor's garden. Are Mem's and Anys's fates much different from Elinor's? How might these gardens affect their deaths? Think specifically about the reasons for these characters' deaths and each garden's instrumentality in the survival of the village.
Think about Anna's adoration of her children. What does Aphra tell her about this? How are the tables turned later on in the book? Is Aphra's heart truly hardened, as Anna says? Be sure to use examples.
Anna and Elinor have a very close relationship in the novel, almost that of mother and daughter. Discuss the evolution of their relationship, and how Elinor fills a void in Anna's life, especially after the loss of her sons. Think of Anna's upbringing, her class, and job.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)