|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Viccars' trade?
2. Who is Tom?
3. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
4. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
5. Who acknowledges Anna's presence and offers their condolences at the Bradfords' dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
2. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
3. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
4. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
5. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
6. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
7. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
8. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
9. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
10. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about all the tragic events Anna witnesses during the plague. Which of these, in your opinion, influenced her the most in forging her own life far away from the village and all the people she knows? Why? Explain in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Think about the Bradford's cook, Maggie Cantwell. Why is she devastated when the Bradfords throw her out? Where does she have to go? Why will she not take Anna's offer? Does this affect what happens to her in the next town? Why? How does Maggie Cantwell die? What question does this pose in Anna?
Essay Topic 3
Think about Anna's father, Josiah. What events in his life have taught him to be a cold, callous character? How does his treatment of Anna estrange him from her? Do you think he deserves mercy for his actions? Why?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)