|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
(a) Elinor Mompellion, her mentor.
(b) Sam Frith, her husband.
(c) Anys Gowdie, her friend.
(d) Lib Hancock, her oldest friend.
2. What is the name of Anna and Mompellion's child?
3. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
(a) Shave the rector.
(b) Persuade the rector to visit Elinor's grave.
(c) Cut the rector's hair.
(d) Dress the rector.
4. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(a) His son.
(d) The rector.
5. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
(a) Cuts his cheek with a razor.
(b) Throws his food dish at the wall.
(c) Slaps him across the face.
(d) Takes Anteros for a ride.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
2. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
3. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
4. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
5. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
2. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
3. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
4. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
5. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
6. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
7. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
8. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
9. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
10. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)