|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aphra doing when Anna comes to check on her?
(a) Dancing before the fire.
(b) Burying Faith.
(c) Setting her house on fire.
2. Whose cockerel does Anna see in her yard one morning?
(a) The rector's.
(b) Andrew Merrick's.
3. What is the name of Anna and Mompellion's child?
4. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
(a) Selling people spells while disguised as Anys.
(b) Digging graves before the victims are dead.
(c) Performing hexes on the living.
(d) Haunting the living with memories of their dead loved ones.
5. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
(a) She is in love with Christopher Unwin.
(b) She knows nothing of the situation.
(c) She does not want to speak on her father's behalf.
(d) She is afraid she will cause her father harm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
2. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
3. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
4. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
5. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
2. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
3. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
4. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
5. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
6. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
7. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
8. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
9. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
10. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)