|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
(a) Anna is crying for her father.
(b) Anna is crying for all the dead children.
(c) Anna is crying for Elinor's unborn child.
(d) Anna is crying because she is in love with the rector.
2. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) The rectory.
(b) The Delf.
(c) The Field.
(d) Anna's house.
3. Where does Anna find Elizabeth Bradford?
(a) In the church.
(b) At Anna's cottage.
(c) In the graveyard.
(d) At her house.
4. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
(b) The rector.
(c) John Gordon.
5. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
(a) She is in love with Christopher Unwin.
(b) She does not want to speak on her father's behalf.
(c) She is afraid she will cause her father harm.
(d) She knows nothing of the situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
2. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
3. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
4. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
5. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
2. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
3. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
4. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
5. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
6. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
7. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
8. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
9. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
10. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)