|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) He died in a mining accident.
(b) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(c) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
(d) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
2. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
(a) A ring of roses.
(b) A figure of sticks, not Christian.
(c) A crown of thorns.
(d) A sack of poisonous herbs.
3. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
(a) Persuade the rector to visit Elinor's grave.
(b) Dress the rector.
(c) Shave the rector.
(d) Cut the rector's hair.
4. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
(b) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(c) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(d) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
5. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
(b) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(c) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
(d) Elinor standing outside her door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
2. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
3. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
4. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
5. Why is the rector constantly tired?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
2. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
3. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
4. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
5. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
6. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
7. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
8. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
9. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
10. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)