|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
(a) That the rector is sick.
(b) That she takes poppy every night so that she may sleep.
(c) That she is getting ready to flee.
(d) That she had been with child once.
2. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She faints.
(b) She has a stroke.
(c) She is stabbed multiple times.
(d) Her throat is slit.
3. Whose illegitimate baby does Anna deliver?
(b) Mrs. Bradford's.
(c) Margaret Livesedge's.
(d) Elizabeth Bradford's.
4. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) The Field.
(b) The rectory.
(c) Anna's house.
(d) The Delf.
5. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She turns the knife on herself.
(b) The armed woman murders her.
(c) She cries and repents her devil worship.
(d) She runs into the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
2. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
3. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
4. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
5. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
2. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
3. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
4. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
5. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
6. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
7. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
8. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
9. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
10. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)