|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because her father beat her.
(b) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
(c) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
(d) Because she has the plague.
2. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) The rectory.
(b) The Field.
(c) Anna's house.
(d) The Delf.
3. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
(b) The rector.
(c) John Gordon.
4. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(b) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
(c) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
(d) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
5. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
(a) Persuade the rector to visit Elinor's grave.
(b) Shave the rector.
(c) Dress the rector.
(d) Cut the rector's hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
2. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
3. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
4. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
5. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
2. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
3. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
4. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
5. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
6. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
7. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
8. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
9. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
10. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)