|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
(b) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
(c) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(d) Elinor standing outside her door.
2. Under what charge is Anna's father brought to trial?
(d) Attempted Murder.
3. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
(a) Performing hexes on the living.
(b) Digging graves before the victims are dead.
(c) Haunting the living with memories of their dead loved ones.
(d) Selling people spells while disguised as Anys.
4. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(b) Anna's father.
(c) Mr. Stanley.
5. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
Short Answer Questions
1. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
2. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
3. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
4. Why does Anna throw Elinor and Michael's plates against the wall?
5. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
2. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
3. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
4. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
5. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
6. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
7. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
8. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
9. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
10. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)