|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
(a) Dead, eaten by animals.
(b) Alive, but with hypothermia.
(c) Dead from self-inflicted wounds.
(d) Alive, but deranged.
2. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(b) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
(c) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
(d) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
3. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
(a) He renounces all religion and becomes an atheist.
(b) He begins to pray at plague stricken bedsides.
(c) He becomes a flagellant.
(d) He becomes a priest.
4. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
(a) Jane Martin whipping John Gordon.
(b) Jane Martin and John Gordon praying.
(c) John Gordon whipping himself.
(d) Jane Martin and Albion Samweys copulating.
5. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
(a) She was penniless.
(b) She was addicted to poppy.
(c) She was pregnant.
(d) She was in another country where she didn't speak the language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Aphra doing when Anna comes to check on her?
2. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
3. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
4. How does Jane Martin's behavior change from the beginning of the novel?
5. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
2. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
3. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
4. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
5. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
6. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
7. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
8. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
9. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
10. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)