|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
(a) For the way he handled the plague.
(b) For his treatment of Anteros.
(c) For his treatment of Elinor.
(d) Because he won't keep his hands off her.
2. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
(b) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(c) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(d) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
3. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
(a) She is burned at the stake.
(b) None; the rector says she had endured enough.
(c) She is sent to live in isolation and banned from the town.
(d) She is sent to the stocks for a week.
4. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(b) Sage tea.
5. Where does Anna find Elizabeth Bradford?
(a) At Anna's cottage.
(b) In the church.
(c) In the graveyard.
(d) At her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
2. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
3. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
4. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
5. What is Aphra doing when Anna comes to check on her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
2. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
3. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
4. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
5. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
6. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
7. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
8. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
9. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
10. What plan does the rector come up with to save the village? What is the reason for this action?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)