|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was in the pot the Mowbrays were boiling?
(a) Their baby.
(b) A dog.
(c) Baby urine.
2. Who comes running toward the group in the middle of the Thanksgiving service?
3. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
(a) A crown of thorns.
(b) A sack of poisonous herbs.
(c) A ring of roses.
(d) A figure of sticks, not Christian.
4. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because she has the plague.
(b) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
(c) Because her father beat her.
(d) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
5. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(b) He died in a mining accident.
(c) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
(d) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
2. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
3. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
4. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
5. What dangerous method does Anna use in the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
2. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
3. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
4. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
5. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
6. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
7. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
8. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
9. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
10. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)