|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
(a) Anys Gowdie, her friend.
(b) Lib Hancock, her oldest friend.
(c) Sam Frith, her husband.
(d) Elinor Mompellion, her mentor.
2. What does the armed woman have in her arms at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) A serpent.
3. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
(a) He becomes a flagellant.
(b) He begins to pray at plague stricken bedsides.
(c) He renounces all religion and becomes an atheist.
(d) He becomes a priest.
4. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
(a) A horse.
5. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because her father beat her.
(b) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
(c) Because she has the plague.
(d) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
2. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
3. Whom does Anna think she sees when she tries to light a fire in the cottage?
4. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
5. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
Short Essay Questions
1. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
2. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
3. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
4. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
5. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
6. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
7. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
8. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
9. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
10. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)