|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
(a) Because he won't keep his hands off her.
(b) For the way he handled the plague.
(c) For his treatment of Anteros.
(d) For his treatment of Elinor.
2. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
3. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(c) The rector.
(d) His son.
4. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
(b) Firing squad.
(c) A dagger through the hands.
(d) Burning at the stake.
5. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She cries and repents her devil worship.
(b) The armed woman murders her.
(c) She turns the knife on herself.
(d) She runs into the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
2. Why does Anna throw Elinor and Michael's plates against the wall?
3. What dangerous method does Anna use in the mine?
4. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
5. Where does Anna find Elizabeth Bradford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
2. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
3. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
4. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
5. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
6. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
7. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
8. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
9. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
10. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)