|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose illegitimate baby does Anna deliver?
(a) Mrs. Bradford's.
(c) Elizabeth Bradford's.
(d) Margaret Livesedge's.
2. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
3. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
(a) He is recovering from the plague.
(b) He dies within minutes of getting the plague.
(c) He is immune to the plague.
(d) He has the power to cure people with the plague.
4. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
(a) He has a heart attack and dies.
(b) He faints.
(c) He coughs up blood.
(d) He gets into a fistfight with Anna's father.
5. What business does the rector take care of before mourning Elinor's death?
(a) Goes to Elinor's father to tell the news.
(b) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(c) Carves a gravestone.
(d) Opens up the road and writes the plague has passed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
2. Where does Anna find Elizabeth Bradford?
3. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
4. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
5. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
2. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
3. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
4. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
5. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
6. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
7. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
8. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
9. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
10. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)