|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
(a) That she had done something that came out right.
(b) That it was warming up outside.
(c) That the rector wasn't angry with her.
(d) That she had poppy to ease her pain.
2. What does Elinor say when she is delirious?
(a) "Michael, save me."
(b) "Michael, go on without me."
(c) "Michael, my love, I'm pregnant."
(d) "Michael, how much longer, my love?"
3. What service does Anna's father start up?
(c) Herb growing.
(d) Grave digging.
4. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
5. Whose illegitimate baby does Anna deliver?
(a) Mrs. Bradford's.
(b) Elizabeth Bradford's.
(d) Margaret Livesedge's.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
2. What does the presence of the cockerel mean to Anna?
3. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
4. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
5. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
2. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
3. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
4. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
5. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
6. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
7. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
8. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
9. What do Anna and Elinor do at the Gowdie cottage?
10. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)