|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) At the cemetery.
(b) In a tree.
(c) In the stocks.
(d) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
2. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) The rector spits on her.
(b) Someone shouts that she is a witch.
(c) Elinor says something in her ear.
(d) Faith's head pops off.
3. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
(a) To the old mine shaft.
(b) To the Gowdies' cottage.
(c) To the basement of the rectory.
(d) To the village witch.
4. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
(a) He renounces all religion and becomes an atheist.
(b) He begins to pray at plague stricken bedsides.
(c) He becomes a flagellant.
(d) He becomes a priest.
5. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
(a) She runs after her husband, who abandoned her.
(b) She tries to induce labor.
(c) She tries to do a spell, hoping it will cure her husband.
(d) She tries to put her husband out of his misery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
2. Who comes running toward the group in the middle of the Thanksgiving service?
3. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
4. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
5. What dangerous method does Anna use in the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
2. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
3. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
4. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
5. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
8. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
9. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
10. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)