|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
(a) He has the power to cure people with the plague.
(b) He is recovering from the plague.
(c) He dies within minutes of getting the plague.
(d) He is immune to the plague.
2. What is Aphra doing when Anna comes to check on her?
(b) Setting her house on fire.
(c) Burying Faith.
(d) Dancing before the fire.
3. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(a) Anna's father.
(c) Mr. Stanley.
4. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) Her throat is slit.
(b) She has a stroke.
(c) She is stabbed multiple times.
(d) She faints.
5. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(c) His son.
(d) The rector.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dangerous method does Anna use in the mine?
2. What does Anna notice about the will that the rector drew up for Jakob Merrill?
3. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
4. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
5. What does Elinor say when she is delirious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
2. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
3. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
4. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
5. What makes Anna even angrier as she leaves the Mowbrays'? What conclusion does she consider as a result of this?
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
8. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
9. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
10. What path has John Gordon taken? How does he meet his end?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)