|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(a) The rector.
(d) His son.
2. What does Elinor say when she is delirious?
(a) "Michael, go on without me."
(b) "Michael, how much longer, my love?"
(c) "Michael, save me."
(d) "Michael, my love, I'm pregnant."
3. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
(a) Cut the rector's hair.
(b) Persuade the rector to visit Elinor's grave.
(c) Dress the rector.
(d) Shave the rector.
4. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
(a) She knows nothing of the situation.
(b) She does not want to speak on her father's behalf.
(c) She is afraid she will cause her father harm.
(d) She is in love with Christopher Unwin.
5. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
(b) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
(c) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
(d) She is looking for more poppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
2. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
3. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
4. What one topic do the rector and Elinor have a difference about?
5. What does Anna notice about the will that the rector drew up for Jakob Merrill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elinor say when she is delirious? What might this mean? Why does the rector excuse Anna so curtly?
2. Whom does Anna ask for help with digging the graves? Why won't he help?
3. Why does Aphra blame Anna for her husband's death? What does Anna notice about Aphra when they bury him?
4. What is Anys carrying when she runs at the rector with the knife? How does this spur her to murder Elinor?
5. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
6. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
7. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
8. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
9. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
10. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)