|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
(a) Performed a hex on the baby.
(b) Hung the infant from the ceiling.
(c) Left him out in the cold overnight.
(d) Passed it through a bramble hedge.
2. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
(b) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(c) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
(d) He died in a mining accident.
3. How does Jane Martin's behavior change from the beginning of the novel?
(a) She becomes extremely devout.
(b) She becomes a recluse.
(c) She changes religion.
(d) She becomes promiscuous.
4. What was in the pot the Mowbrays were boiling?
(a) Their baby.
(c) A dog.
(d) Baby urine.
5. What does Elinor say when she is delirious?
(a) "Michael, my love, I'm pregnant."
(b) "Michael, save me."
(c) "Michael, how much longer, my love?"
(d) "Michael, go on without me."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
2. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
3. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
4. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
5. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel? What does she choose as her life's work?
2. Where is Aphra kept overnight? What effect does this have on her? On the villagers?
3. Why is the rector summoned to Christopher Unwin's house? Why does Anna see Christopher again later, bloody and naked?
4. What is revealed about Elinor's past? What is Anna's reaction?
5. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
6. Where does Anna hope she will find relief? How does her knowledge of herbs comfort her?
7. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
8. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
9. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
10. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)