|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to rescue the first accused witch?
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(b) Anys Gowdie.
(c) Anna Frith.
(d) Michael Mompellion.
2. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
(a) She is killed because she is thought to be a witch.
(b) She is severely sick from her near-drowning and dies.
(c) She gets the plague and dies.
(d) She leaves the village and survives.
3. What happens to Tom soon after news of Edward?
(a) He grows big and strong.
(b) He becomes deaf.
(c) He catches a fever, but lives.
(d) He dies.
4. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
(a) The baby is dead.
(b) The baby is deformed.
(c) The baby is backwards.
(d) There is no baby.
5. How did Sam die?
(a) In a mining accident.
(b) From the plague.
(c) From the flu.
(d) In a riding accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
2. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
3. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
4. What do Anna and her children find in the field?
5. Where does Maggie Cantwell go after the Bradfords throw her out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
2. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
3. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
4. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
5. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
6. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
7. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
8. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
9. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
10. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)