Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't any of the murderous mob get prosecuted for their actions?
(a) The justice of the peace will not come near a village with witches in it.
(b) The justice of the peace has the plague as well.
(c) The justice of the peace will not come to the village for fear of the plague.
(d) There is no one to prosecute; they have all died of the plague.
2. What was strange about the autumn?
(a) The trees did not shed their leaves.
(b) It was unusually cloudy and dark.
(c) It was very sunny.
(d) It was cold.
3. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
(a) That there is no hope; they will all die together in the village.
(b) That those who are well should flee to a healthy village.
(c) That God is punishing them for their sins.
(d) That the village should stay and contain the plague.
4. What did Sam do when he found out how Anna's father had treated her as a child?
(a) Went and had a long talk with her father.
(b) Told Anna that children needed to be disciplined severely.
(c) Went to her father's house and punched him in the face.
(d) Went for a long walk.
5. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
(a) That Colonel Bradford is actually a very generous and kind man.
(b) That Elizabeth Bradford has the plague.
(c) That the rector is wrong.
(d) That she has nowhere to go and nothing to protect or hope for.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is screaming when Anna wakes up after falling asleep with Tom?
2. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
3. Why does the name of the rector's horse cause a stir in the village?
4. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
5. What do Anna and her children find in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
2. Why is Anna repulsed by the rector? How do you think this contributes to the choice of her final destination in the novel?
3. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
4. How does the rector react to Elinor and Anna's actions? What is odd about his reaction when he first sees them?
5. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
6. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
7. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
8. What child do Anna and Elinor help? What do they do to help this child?
9. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
10. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)