|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna do for the Bradfords?
(a) Does field work.
(c) Serves during parties.
(d) Cleans daily.
2. What question does Anna ask herself while sitting with Maggie?
(a) Why Maggie has to die of the plague; she always lived so healthfully.
(b) Why a good person like Maggie suffers while her father wastes away in his drunkenness.
(c) Why Maggie was able to save a child, but not hers.
(d) Why a good person like Maggie cannot find a place to live.
3. What does the rector refer to the plague as?
(a) A "challenge of faith".
(b) A "curse for the ages".
(c) A "natural selection".
(d) A "venom of the blood".
4. How long has the rector lived in the village?
(a) Five years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Two years.
(d) His whole life.
5. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
(c) Chicken fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
2. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
3. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
4. What comes from London for Mr. Viccars?
5. Who comes to talk to the Bradfords while they are packing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
2. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
3. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
4. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
5. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
6. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
7. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
8. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
9. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
10. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)