|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did George tell Anna to do with his possessions?
(a) Burn them all.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Throw them away.
(d) Bury them with him.
2. What is the crowd told to do after they realize what they've done?
(a) Pray that God will protect them from more witches.
(b) Flee the village.
(c) Pray that God will forgive their actions.
(d) Burn the witch.
3. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
(a) Anna Frith.
(b) The earl of Chatsworth.
(c) Anys Gowdie.
(d) Colonel Bradford.
4. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
(a) Because they were not in season.
(b) Because no one will deliver apples to the rectory.
(c) Because apples don't grow near there.
(d) Because there were so few people to do the picking.
5. How does Mr. Viccars die?
(a) He gets terribly ill.
(b) Mr. Viccars doesn't die.
(c) A mining accident.
(d) A riding accident.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anys come to Anna's house?
2. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
3. Why doesn't any of the murderous mob get prosecuted for their actions?
4. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
5. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
2. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
3. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
4. Why is Anna surprised when the rector comes upon her in the field? How does the rector react to this?
5. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
6. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
7. What was the relationship between Anys and George? How does Anna react to this?
8. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
9. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
10. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)