|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tom?
(a) Anna's baby.
(b) Anna's brother.
(c) Anna's husband.
(d) Anna's father.
2. What is the name of the rector's horse?
3. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
(a) Flee to cleaner air.
(b) Warn neighboring villages.
(c) Stay and fight the disease.
(d) Pray for forgiveness.
4. What is the narrator's name?
5. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
(a) Sam Frith.
(b) George Viccars.
(c) Michael Mompellion.
(d) Lib Hancock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who acknowledges Anna's presence and offers their condolences at the Bradfords' dinner party?
2. How did Sam die?
3. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
4. What does the narrator do with the apples?
5. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
2. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
3. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
4. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
5. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
6. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
7. Why does Anna go to Mary's house? How does Mary and Anna's job differ from that of Alexander's?
8. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
9. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
10. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)