|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
(a) To get a drink.
(b) To remember Sam.
(c) To borrow a handcart.
(d) To see her father.
2. Who is Thomas Stanley?
(a) The former parson of the village parish.
(b) A miner.
(c) A well respected doctor.
(d) The justice of the peace.
3. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
(a) Because he thinks he has offended Anna with his mimic.
(b) Because he accidentally hurt Jamie.
(c) Because he cannot control his temper.
(d) Because he isn't a very good tailor.
4. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
(a) Cow and grass-eater.
(b) A witch.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A horse.
5. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
(a) Mrs. Mompellion.
(b) George Viccars.
(d) The rector.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is very vocal about their doubts as to the rector's plan?
2. What does the Londoner tell the other diners during the Bradfords' dinner party?
3. Who is Jamie?
4. Who comes to the rectory demanding to see the rector, saying that their influence in the village is not to be ignored?
5. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
2. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
3. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
4. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
5. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
6. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
7. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
8. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
9. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
10. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)