|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna feed the horse?
2. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
(a) That those who are well should flee to a healthy village.
(b) That there is no hope; they will all die together in the village.
(c) That the village should stay and contain the plague.
(d) That God is punishing them for their sins.
3. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
(a) Anna is naked.
(b) The rector is singing.
(c) The rector should be in church.
(d) She is breastfeeding.
4. Who is Anna referring to in this sentence? "She was a shrewd woman, in spite of all her superstitious fancies."
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(b) Anys Gowdie.
(c) Her stepmother.
(d) Mary Hadfield.
5. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They beat her to death.
(b) They take her to trial.
(c) They hang her from a tree.
(d) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
2. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
3. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
4. What comes from London for Mr. Viccars?
5. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
2. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
3. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
4. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
5. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
6. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
7. What does Anna do to try to stop the crowd during the witch frenzy? Is this effective?
8. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
9. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
10. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)