|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
(a) George Viccars.
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) Anna Frith.
(d) Thomas Stanley.
2. What does the narrator do with the apples?
(a) Makes a pie with them.
(b) Slices one very thin and takes it to the rector.
(c) Tramples them for cider.
(d) Bites into one.
3. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
(c) Old Mem.
4. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
(a) Cow and grass-eater.
(b) A horse.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A witch.
5. How did Sam die?
(a) In a riding accident.
(b) From the flu.
(c) In a mining accident.
(d) From the plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
2. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
3. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
4. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
5. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
2. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
3. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
4. Why does Anna take Anteros for a ride? What do you think this symbolizes?
5. Why doesn't Anna use the letter of introduction the rector wrote for her? What danger lurks for her if she isn't careful?
6. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
7. What does Anna take to help her sleep? How does it work? How is it dangerous?
8. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
9. Who is dragged to the bonfire accused of being the "ghost" of Anys Gowdie and selling the villagers spells and advice? What do they want done to her for this deception?
10. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)