|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Anna scold the stable boy?
(a) The stable boy is not around.
(b) The stable boy starts crying.
(c) The stable boy is actually her son.
(d) She sees that his face is worn and exhausted.
2. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
(c) A relative.
(d) A doctor.
3. Who is very vocal about their doubts as to the rector's plan?
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(b) Anna's father and stepmother.
(c) Mary Harding.
(d) Anys Gowdie.
4. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
(a) Anna accuses her father of murdering her mother.
(b) Anna's father denounces her.
(c) Her father insults the rector's plan; Anna retorts.
(d) Anna calls her father a drunken idiot.
5. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
(a) Because there were so few people to do the picking.
(b) Because apples don't grow near there.
(c) Because no one will deliver apples to the rectory.
(d) Because they were not in season.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
2. What do Anna and her children find in the field?
3. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
4. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
5. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
2. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
3. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
4. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
5. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
6. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
7. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
8. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
9. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
10. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)