|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
(a) Because he isn't a very good tailor.
(b) Because he thinks he has offended Anna with his mimic.
(c) Because he cannot control his temper.
(d) Because he accidentally hurt Jamie.
2. What does the crowd do to Anys?
(a) They let her go.
(b) They take her to trial.
(c) They drown her.
(d) They hang her.
3. Who is Anna referring to in this sentence? "She was a shrewd woman, in spite of all her superstitious fancies."
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(b) Her stepmother.
(c) Mary Hadfield.
(d) Anys Gowdie.
4. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
(a) To come in.
(b) To come back later.
(c) To go to hell.
(d) That he will see them another time.
5. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
(a) He only has a fever, and follows the doctor's orders.
(b) He dies.
(c) He goes into a coma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
2. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
3. What does Elinor do when Anna agrees to go along with the rector's plan?
4. How long has the rector lived in the village?
5. Why does Anna run home after the altercation with her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
2. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
3. What does Anna do at the Bradfords'? How does she unwittingly cause a stir?
4. What do the Bradfords do after the sermon in the Chapter, "Venom in the Blood"? How is this related to class?
5. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
6. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
7. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
8. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
9. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
10. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)