|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
(a) Michael Mompellion.
(b) Sam Frith.
(c) George Viccars.
(d) Lib Hancock.
2. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
(a) She is severely sick from her near-drowning and dies.
(b) She is killed because she is thought to be a witch.
(c) She gets the plague and dies.
(d) She leaves the village and survives.
3. What evidence does Mary Hadfield have to accuse the victim of witchcraft?
(a) Mary says she whispered a curse on her son Edward.
(b) Mary says she saw the witch on her broom.
(c) Mary says she saw the witch floating in the water.
(d) Mary says the herbs she gave her killed her son Edward.
4. How did Sam die?
(a) From the plague.
(b) From the flu.
(c) In a mining accident.
(d) In a riding accident.
5. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
(b) Chicken fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thomas Stanley?
2. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
3. What punishment does Anna compare the plague to?
4. Where does Maggie Cantwell go after the Bradfords throw her out?
5. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna surprised when the rector comes upon her in the field? How does the rector react to this?
2. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
3. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
4. What does Anna do to try to stop the crowd during the witch frenzy? Is this effective?
5. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
6. What is the rector's plan for the village? Describe it in as much detail as possible.
7. What was the relationship between Anys and George? How does Anna react to this?
8. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
9. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
10. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)