|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sam do when he found out how Anna's father had treated her as a child?
(a) Went and had a long talk with her father.
(b) Went to her father's house and punched him in the face.
(c) Told Anna that children needed to be disciplined severely.
(d) Went for a long walk.
2. What is the narrator's name?
3. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
(a) The road is dark and dangerous.
(b) She doesn't want to meet people on the road.
(c) She wants to pick some apples for herself.
(d) The orchard is faster.
4. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
(a) The baby is deformed.
(b) The baby is dead.
(c) The baby is backwards.
(d) There is no baby.
5. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
(a) He goes into a coma.
(b) He dies.
(d) He only has a fever, and follows the doctor's orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
2. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
3. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
4. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
5. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
2. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
3. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
4. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
5. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
6. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
7. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
8. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
9. What do the Bradfords do after the sermon in the Chapter, "Venom in the Blood"? How is this related to class?
10. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)