|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
(d) Old Mem.
2. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
(a) Anys sings to Jamie until he falls asleep.
(b) Anys rubs Jamie with salve to cool him down.
(c) Anys gives Jamie water when he needs it.
(d) Anys performs witchcraft to cure Jamie of the plague.
3. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
(a) Mutton broth.
(b) Money for the medicine.
(c) Advice for her problems.
(d) A place to stay.
4. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
(a) Rotten wood.
(d) Dead rats.
5. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
(a) She is going for a visit.
(b) She is delivering a draught to Edward, who has a fever.
(c) She is delivering bread.
(d) She is going to help butcher a hog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Maggie Cantwell come for Anna's help?
2. What does the Londoner tell the other diners during the Bradfords' dinner party?
3. What does Mr. Viccars give to Anna?
4. What relationship did Anys and George have?
5. What surprise does Jamie have for Anna at the cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
2. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
3. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
4. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
5. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
6. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
7. What does George tell Anna to do with his possessions? Why do you think he tells her this?
8. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
9. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
10. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)