|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
(a) He dies.
(b) He goes into a coma.
(c) He only has a fever, and follows the doctor's orders.
2. What happens to Tom soon after news of Edward?
(a) He grows big and strong.
(b) He catches a fever, but lives.
(c) He dies.
(d) He becomes deaf.
3. Who comes to Anna's door looking for lodging?
(b) George Viccars.
(d) Michael Mompellion.
4. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
(a) She is stricken with the plague.
(b) It appears she had a stroke; she is unable to control one side of her body.
(c) She is healthy, but no one will take her in.
(d) She is happy; she has found a cure for the plague.
5. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
(a) He watches his baby brother.
(b) He doesn't help her.
(c) He counts the lambs for Anna.
(d) He reaches inside and helps the ewe give birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Jamie have for Anna at the cottage?
2. Who is Sam?
3. Why does Anys come to Anna's house?
4. How long has the rector lived in the village?
5. Why does Anna run home after the altercation with her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
2. What is Mem's condition after the incident with the crowd? Who takes care of her?
3. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
4. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
5. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
6. What childhood memories are brought up to Anna as she helps Mary? How does this affect her?
7. Why does Maggie come to Anna for help? Where does Maggie draw the line in accepting aid from Anna?
8. What does Anna do to try to stop the crowd during the witch frenzy? Is this effective?
9. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
10. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)