|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Anna ask herself while sitting with Maggie?
(a) Why a good person like Maggie cannot find a place to live.
(b) Why Maggie was able to save a child, but not hers.
(c) Why Maggie has to die of the plague; she always lived so healthfully.
(d) Why a good person like Maggie suffers while her father wastes away in his drunkenness.
2. What did George tell Anna to do with his possessions?
(a) Burn them all.
(b) Throw them away.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Bury them with him.
3. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
(a) Anna is naked.
(b) The rector is singing.
(c) The rector should be in church.
(d) She is breastfeeding.
4. What does Anna do for the Bradfords?
(a) Cleans daily.
(b) Serves during parties.
(c) Does field work.
5. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
(a) She begins to break out in hives.
(b) She is unable to control herself and urinates.
(c) She passes out.
(d) She cries uncontrollably.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Anna compare the plague to?
2. Who carries Mr. Viccars' body downstairs?
3. What does the narrator do with the apples?
4. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
5. How does Mr. Viccars die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
2. What do the Bradfords do after the sermon in the Chapter, "Venom in the Blood"? How is this related to class?
3. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
4. What is the condition of the rector in the beginning of the novel?
5. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
6. How is Mr. Viccars different from Sam?
7. How does Anna help Mary Daniel? Whose knowledge and strength does she use to help her through this task?
8. What happened in Blackwell? What is Maggie Cantwell's condition?
9. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
10. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)