|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
2. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
(a) A horse.
(b) Cow and grass-eater.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A witch.
3. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
(a) That she has nowhere to go and nothing to protect or hope for.
(b) That the rector is wrong.
(c) That Colonel Bradford is actually a very generous and kind man.
(d) That Elizabeth Bradford has the plague.
4. What does Mr. Viccars give to Anna?
(a) A toy for Jamie.
(b) A book.
(c) A dress he made for her.
(d) A loaf of bread.
5. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
(a) She begins to break out in hives.
(b) She cries uncontrollably.
(c) She is unable to control herself and urinates.
(d) She passes out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the young Martin girl?
2. What comes from London for Mr. Viccars?
3. What relationship did Anys and George have?
4. What ultimately happens to Maggie Cantwell?
5. Who comes to the rectory demanding to see the rector, saying that their influence in the village is not to be ignored?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
2. Who tries to help Anna as she takes care of Jamie? What does each of these acts show?
3. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
4. What defense does Anys employ when being accused of witchcraft? Why do you think she does this?
5. What happens to Edward Cooper? What soon befalls Anna's child? How does this effect Anna?
6. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
7. Why is Anna surprised when the rector comes upon her in the field? How does the rector react to this?
8. What do the children find in the woodpile? How is this dangerous?
9. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
10. What is Anna ashamed of in her relationship with Anys? How has this changed?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)