|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Viccars die?
(a) A riding accident.
(b) A mining accident.
(c) Mr. Viccars doesn't die.
(d) He gets terribly ill.
2. What is the crowd told to do after they realize what they've done?
(a) Pray that God will protect them from more witches.
(b) Burn the witch.
(c) Flee the village.
(d) Pray that God will forgive their actions.
3. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
(a) She is delivering bread.
(b) She is delivering a draught to Edward, who has a fever.
(c) She is going for a visit.
(d) She is going to help butcher a hog.
4. Who is screaming when Anna wakes up after falling asleep with Tom?
5. What is different about the young Martin girl?
(a) She lacks common sense.
(b) She is very Puritan and stern.
(c) She is very smart.
(d) She is very vivacious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Londoner tell the other diners during the Bradfords' dinner party?
2. What did Sam do when he found out how Anna's father had treated her as a child?
3. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
4. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
5. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to visit the rector in the beginning of the novel? What does he/she want?
2. Who becomes a lodger at Anna's house? What is his trade?
3. What does the rector say the plague-stricken villagers should do? How does this differ from the rest of the group?
4. Who comes and stops the crowd during the witch frenzy? How is he/she able to shame them into repentance?
5. What confrontation ensues at the Bradford household after Mompellion's sermon? Is anything resolved?
6. How does Anna treat the visitor for the rector, who comes to the door? Why is this unusual?
7. Why does Anna go to the tavern? Is she able to get what she needs?
8. What is the rector's religious explanation for the plague?
9. How does the relationship between Anna and George Viccars evolve?
10. What is revealed about Anna's relationship with her father? How does Sam figure into this?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)