Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
(a) A dried toad.
2. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
(a) The Bradfords.
(c) Mem Gowdie.
(d) Anna's father and stepmother.
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
(a) Anna calls her father a drunken idiot.
(b) Anna accuses her father of murdering her mother.
(c) Her father insults the rector's plan; Anna retorts.
(d) Anna's father denounces her.
4. What is George Viccars' trade?
(a) A journeyman tailor.
(b) A miner.
(c) A priest.
(d) A blacksmith.
5. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
(a) Michael Mompellion.
(b) Anna Frith.
(c) Anys Gowdie.
(d) Elinor Mompellion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Jamie have for Anna at the cottage?
2. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
3. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
4. Why does Anna run home after the dinner party at the Bradfords?
5. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What color do the rector and Elinor wear to the Thanksgiving ceremony? What might this symbolize?
2. What do the rector and Elinor have their only disagreement over? How is Elinor's reaction significant?
3. Why is the rector exhausted during the chapter "Among Those that Go Down to the Pit"? What happens during his sermon?
4. What image of Elinor's death does the author convey? What might this symbolize or show about Anna's view of Elinor?
5. What does Anna do to try to console the rector? How does he respond?
6. Why is Anna so angry with the Mowbrays? Who has influenced them to do these actions?
7. Who does Anna see as she is trying to get water from her well? What new endeavor has he begun?
8. Why is Anna crying in the kitchen? How is it therapeutic for her to tell Elinor her feeling about her father?
9. Why do the rector and Anna visit her father? Does anything come from this visit? Explain.
10. What happens to Maggie Cantwell? What question arises in Anna as she thinks of Maggie and her father?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)