|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
2. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
3. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
(a) She is afraid she will cause her father harm.
(b) She knows nothing of the situation.
(c) She does not want to speak on her father's behalf.
(d) She is in love with Christopher Unwin.
4. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
(b) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(c) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
(d) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
5. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(b) The rector.
(d) His son.
6. Who comes running toward the group in the middle of the Thanksgiving service?
7. After Elinor tells Anna her secret, what do they spend the day doing?
(a) Packing so that they may flee soon.
(b) Taking poppy to forget their worries.
(c) Winterizing the Gowdie garden.
(d) Researching herbs that will help them fight the plague.
8. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
9. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
(b) Because she has the plague.
(c) Because her father beat her.
(d) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
10. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
(a) She is sent to the stocks for a week.
(b) She is burned at the stake.
(c) None; the rector says she had endured enough.
(d) She is sent to live in isolation and banned from the town.
11. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She cries and repents her devil worship.
(b) The armed woman murders her.
(c) She turns the knife on herself.
(d) She runs into the woods.
12. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
(a) She is afraid Faith has the plague.
(b) She is afraid Anna will kill Faith in revenge.
(c) She is afraid Anna has the plague and will give it to Faith.
(d) She is afraid Anna will badmouth her to her child.
13. What is the name of Anna and Mompellion's child?
14. What one topic do the rector and Elinor have a difference about?
(a) What to do with Anna now that the plague is over.
(b) Whether it is safe to flee the village.
(c) Whether the plague has ended or not.
(d) Whether to have children or not.
15. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
(d) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
2. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
3. Why is the rector constantly tired?
4. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
5. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)