|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
(a) She was in another country where she didn't speak the language.
(b) She was addicted to poppy.
(c) She was penniless.
(d) She was pregnant.
2. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
(b) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
(c) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(d) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
3. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(d) Sage tea.
4. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
(a) John Gordon.
(d) The rector.
5. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) In the stocks.
(b) In a tree.
(c) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
(d) At the cemetery.
6. Where is Faith when Anna comes to visit Aphra?
(a) In the rafters.
(b) Buried alive.
(c) Hanging on the wall, dead.
(d) Dancing with her mother.
7. Why is the rector constantly tired?
(a) Because he has been preaching a boosting morale nonstop.
(b) Because he has been fighting with Anna's father.
(c) Because he is indeed sick with the plague.
(d) Because he has been digging graves and visiting the sick nonstop.
8. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
(a) She is afraid she will cause her father harm.
(b) She knows nothing of the situation.
(c) She is in love with Christopher Unwin.
(d) She does not want to speak on her father's behalf.
9. Where does Anna find Elizabeth Bradford?
(a) At Anna's cottage.
(b) In the graveyard.
(c) At her house.
(d) In the church.
10. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
(b) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(c) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(d) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
11. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
(a) He renounces all religion and becomes an atheist.
(b) He becomes a flagellant.
(c) He becomes a priest.
(d) He begins to pray at plague stricken bedsides.
12. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
(a) They are mean and vindictive.
(b) They are scornful.
(c) They are surprised and proud.
(d) They turn them away.
13. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
(a) To the basement of the rectory.
(b) To the village witch.
(c) To the old mine shaft.
(d) To the Gowdies' cottage.
14. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
(a) He has a heart attack and dies.
(b) He faints.
(c) He coughs up blood.
(d) He gets into a fistfight with Anna's father.
15. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) He died in a mining accident.
(b) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(c) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
(d) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
2. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
3. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
4. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
5. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)