|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
(a) Elinor Mompellion, her mentor.
(b) Lib Hancock, her oldest friend.
(c) Sam Frith, her husband.
(d) Anys Gowdie, her friend.
2. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(b) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
(c) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
(d) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
3. What does Anna's father do to Christopher Unwin during the night?
(a) Tries to infect him with the plague.
(b) Challenges him to a duel.
(c) Tries to bury him.
(d) Accuses Christopher of starting the plague.
4. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(a) Sage tea.
5. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
(a) Dismiss the stable boy.
(b) Run away together.
(c) Dance together.
(d) Have sex.
6. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
(a) To show that women can to men's work.
(b) To find herbs that grow underground.
(c) To save Merry Wickford, who is trapped there.
(d) To get lead for Merry.
7. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
(a) She is afraid Anna will badmouth her to her child.
(b) She is afraid Anna has the plague and will give it to Faith.
(c) She is afraid Anna will kill Faith in revenge.
(d) She is afraid Faith has the plague.
8. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) Her throat is slit.
(b) She is stabbed multiple times.
(c) She faints.
(d) She has a stroke.
9. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
10. Whose cockerel does Anna see in her yard one morning?
(a) Andrew Merrick's.
(b) The rector's.
11. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
12. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
(a) They turn them away.
(b) They are mean and vindictive.
(c) They are surprised and proud.
(d) They are scornful.
13. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She runs into the woods.
(b) The armed woman murders her.
(c) She turns the knife on herself.
(d) She cries and repents her devil worship.
14. Why is the rector constantly tired?
(a) Because he has been preaching a boosting morale nonstop.
(b) Because he is indeed sick with the plague.
(c) Because he has been digging graves and visiting the sick nonstop.
(d) Because he has been fighting with Anna's father.
15. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
2. What deal does Anna make with her father in return for his service digging graves?
3. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
4. What business does the rector take care of before mourning Elinor's death?
5. Where does Anna find Elizabeth Bradford?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)