|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
(a) John Gordon.
(d) The rector.
2. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(b) Anna's father.
(c) Mr. Stanley.
3. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
(a) He has the power to cure people with the plague.
(b) He is immune to the plague.
(c) He is recovering from the plague.
(d) He dies within minutes of getting the plague.
4. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
(a) Jane Martin and John Gordon praying.
(b) Jane Martin whipping John Gordon.
(c) Jane Martin and Albion Samweys copulating.
(d) John Gordon whipping himself.
5. What one topic do the rector and Elinor have a difference about?
(a) Whether the plague has ended or not.
(b) Whether it is safe to flee the village.
(c) Whether to have children or not.
(d) What to do with Anna now that the plague is over.
6. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
(a) She is sent to live in isolation and banned from the town.
(b) None; the rector says she had endured enough.
(c) She is burned at the stake.
(d) She is sent to the stocks for a week.
7. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because she has the plague.
(b) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
(c) Because her father beat her.
(d) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
8. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
(b) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(c) Elinor standing outside her door.
(d) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
9. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(b) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
(c) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
(d) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
10. What does Anna notice about the will that the rector drew up for Jakob Merrill?
(a) He has actually left the house to his neighbor.
(b) The rector cannot write properlyf
(c) The will is in Latin.
(d) He has forgotten the date and also wrote in the wrong name once.
11. What deal does Anna make with her father in return for his service digging graves?
(b) Some of her lambs.
(d) Her medicinal herbs.
12. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
(a) Hung the infant from the ceiling.
(b) Passed it through a bramble hedge.
(c) Left him out in the cold overnight.
(d) Performed a hex on the baby.
13. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
(a) A sack of poisonous herbs.
(b) A ring of roses.
(c) A crown of thorns.
(d) A figure of sticks, not Christian.
14. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
(a) He becomes a flagellant.
(b) He becomes a priest.
(c) He renounces all religion and becomes an atheist.
(d) He begins to pray at plague stricken bedsides.
15. What new plan does the rector want the townspeople to undertake?
(a) Burn down all their houses and start again.
(b) Commit mass suicide.
(c) Cut all their hair and burn it.
(d) Burn all their possessions that may carry the plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
2. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
3. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
4. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
5. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)