|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of the Gordon cottage?
(a) It is bare.
(b) It is burning.
(c) It is not there.
(d) It is abandoned.
2. What one topic do the rector and Elinor have a difference about?
(a) Whether the plague has ended or not.
(b) Whether it is safe to flee the village.
(c) What to do with Anna now that the plague is over.
(d) Whether to have children or not.
3. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
(a) Have sex.
(b) Run away together.
(c) Dismiss the stable boy.
(d) Dance together.
4. After Elinor tells Anna her secret, what do they spend the day doing?
(a) Taking poppy to forget their worries.
(b) Packing so that they may flee soon.
(c) Researching herbs that will help them fight the plague.
(d) Winterizing the Gowdie garden.
5. What new plan does the rector want the townspeople to undertake?
(a) Commit mass suicide.
(b) Cut all their hair and burn it.
(c) Burn down all their houses and start again.
(d) Burn all their possessions that may carry the plague.
6. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
(a) A sack of poisonous herbs.
(b) A ring of roses.
(c) A figure of sticks, not Christian.
(d) A crown of thorns.
7. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
(a) Alive, but deranged.
(b) Dead from self-inflicted wounds.
(c) Dead, eaten by animals.
(d) Alive, but with hypothermia.
8. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
(a) Elinor faints.
(b) There is a plague sore on Elinor.
(c) Elinor throws up.
(d) She hears her cough.
9. Under what charge is Anna's father brought to trial?
(b) Attempted Murder.
10. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
(a) Anna is crying for Elinor's unborn child.
(b) Anna is crying because she is in love with the rector.
(c) Anna is crying for all the dead children.
(d) Anna is crying for her father.
11. What service does Anna's father start up?
(b) Grave digging.
(d) Herb growing.
12. Why is the rector constantly tired?
(a) Because he is indeed sick with the plague.
(b) Because he has been fighting with Anna's father.
(c) Because he has been preaching a boosting morale nonstop.
(d) Because he has been digging graves and visiting the sick nonstop.
13. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(d) Sage tea.
14. What deal does Anna make with her father in return for his service digging graves?
(b) Some of her lambs.
(d) Her medicinal herbs.
15. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(a) Anna's father.
(b) Mr. Stanley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
2. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
3. Where is Elinor buried?
4. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
5. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)