|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the presence of the cockerel mean to Anna?
(a) The plague is getting stronger.
(b) Bad news is coming.
(c) The world is ending.
(d) The plague is gone.
2. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
(a) She was in another country where she didn't speak the language.
(b) She was addicted to poppy.
(c) She was penniless.
(d) She was pregnant.
3. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She turns the knife on herself.
(b) The armed woman murders her.
(c) She cries and repents her devil worship.
(d) She runs into the woods.
4. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
5. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
(a) He faints.
(b) He gets into a fistfight with Anna's father.
(c) He has a heart attack and dies.
(d) He coughs up blood.
6. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
(a) Passed it through a bramble hedge.
(b) Hung the infant from the ceiling.
(c) Performed a hex on the baby.
(d) Left him out in the cold overnight.
7. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
(a) He leans forward as if to kiss, then draws back.
(b) He starts yelling at them for being stupid.
(c) He opens his arms out as if to hug, then claps his hand together.
(d) He begins to cry.
8. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
(a) She tries to induce labor.
(b) She tries to do a spell, hoping it will cure her husband.
(c) She runs after her husband, who abandoned her.
(d) She tries to put her husband out of his misery.
9. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(b) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
(c) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
(d) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
10. What does Aphra run at Anna with when Anna bursts in the door?
(a) A serpent.
(b) A magic wand.
(c) A spider.
(d) A hot poker.
11. What disappointing decision does the rector tell the church members during his sermon that he delivers while exhausted?
(a) That the Bradfords have returned with medicine.
(b) That those who wish should flee from the plague.
(c) That he is stepping down as rector.
(d) That they will be closing the church, service will be held outside.
12. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
13. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
(b) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
(c) She is looking for more poppy.
(d) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
14. Where does Anna find Elizabeth Bradford?
(a) In the graveyard.
(b) In the church.
(c) At Anna's cottage.
(d) At her house.
15. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) Someone shouts that she is a witch.
(b) The rector spits on her.
(c) Faith's head pops off.
(d) Elinor says something in her ear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
2. After Elinor tells Anna her secret, what do they spend the day doing?
3. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
4. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
5. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)