|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
(a) He faints.
(b) He coughs up blood.
(c) He has a heart attack and dies.
(d) He gets into a fistfight with Anna's father.
2. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
(a) Throws his food dish at the wall.
(b) Cuts his cheek with a razor.
(c) Slaps him across the face.
(d) Takes Anteros for a ride.
3. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
(a) Cut the rector's hair.
(b) Shave the rector.
(c) Persuade the rector to visit Elinor's grave.
(d) Dress the rector.
4. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
5. Who is dragged to the meeting at the Delf dressed in black?
6. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(b) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(c) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
(d) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
7. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
(a) To find herbs that grow underground.
(b) To show that women can to men's work.
(c) To save Merry Wickford, who is trapped there.
(d) To get lead for Merry.
8. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
(b) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(c) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
(d) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
9. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
(a) The rector.
(d) John Gordon.
10. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
(a) Anna is crying for all the dead children.
(b) Anna is crying for her father.
(c) Anna is crying for Elinor's unborn child.
(d) Anna is crying because she is in love with the rector.
11. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because she has the plague.
(b) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
(c) Because her father beat her.
(d) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
12. What new plan does the rector want the townspeople to undertake?
(a) Cut all their hair and burn it.
(b) Burn down all their houses and start again.
(c) Burn all their possessions that may carry the plague.
(d) Commit mass suicide.
13. What does Mompellion do after Elinor's death that is unusual?
(a) Takes Anteros for a ride and doesn't come back for days.
(b) Burns all of Elinor's possessions.
(c) Locks himself up in the rectory.
(d) Cuts his hair and burns it.
14. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
(b) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(c) Elinor standing outside her door.
(d) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
15. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) Faith's head pops off.
(b) Elinor says something in her ear.
(c) The rector spits on her.
(d) Someone shouts that she is a witch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
2. Whom does Anna think she sees when she tries to light a fire in the cottage?
3. After Elinor tells Anna her secret, what do they spend the day doing?
4. Why is the rector constantly tired?
5. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)