|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
(b) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(c) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
(d) He died in a mining accident.
2. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
3. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
(a) Cuts his cheek with a razor.
(b) Takes Anteros for a ride.
(c) Throws his food dish at the wall.
(d) Slaps him across the face.
4. What is the condition of the Gordon cottage?
(a) It is abandoned.
(b) It is bare.
(c) It is burning.
(d) It is not there.
5. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She is stabbed multiple times.
(b) Her throat is slit.
(c) She faints.
(d) She has a stroke.
6. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
(a) Burning at the stake.
(c) Firing squad.
(d) A dagger through the hands.
7. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
(a) That she had poppy to ease her pain.
(b) That she had done something that came out right.
(c) That it was warming up outside.
(d) That the rector wasn't angry with her.
8. What does the presence of the cockerel mean to Anna?
(a) Bad news is coming.
(b) The plague is gone.
(c) The world is ending.
(d) The plague is getting stronger.
9. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
(a) She does not want to speak on her father's behalf.
(b) She is in love with Christopher Unwin.
(c) She knows nothing of the situation.
(d) She is afraid she will cause her father harm.
10. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
(a) Anna is crying for Elinor's unborn child.
(b) Anna is crying for her father.
(c) Anna is crying because she is in love with the rector.
(d) Anna is crying for all the dead children.
11. Where is Faith when Anna comes to visit Aphra?
(a) In the rafters.
(b) Hanging on the wall, dead.
(c) Dancing with her mother.
(d) Buried alive.
12. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(b) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(c) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
(d) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
13. What is Aphra doing when Anna comes to check on her?
(a) Dancing before the fire.
(c) Setting her house on fire.
(d) Burying Faith.
14. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(b) Sage tea.
15. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
(a) They are scornful.
(b) They are mean and vindictive.
(c) They are surprised and proud.
(d) They turn them away.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jane Martin's behavior change from the beginning of the novel?
2. What is the name of Anna and Mompellion's child?
3. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
4. Under what charge is Anna's father brought to trial?
5. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)