|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was in the pot the Mowbrays were boiling?
(a) A dog.
(b) Their baby.
(d) Baby urine.
2. What does Mompellion do after Elinor's death that is unusual?
(a) Locks himself up in the rectory.
(b) Takes Anteros for a ride and doesn't come back for days.
(c) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(d) Burns all of Elinor's possessions.
3. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
(a) To get lead for Merry.
(b) To save Merry Wickford, who is trapped there.
(c) To find herbs that grow underground.
(d) To show that women can to men's work.
4. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
(a) He coughs up blood.
(b) He has a heart attack and dies.
(c) He gets into a fistfight with Anna's father.
(d) He faints.
5. What dangerous method does Anna use in the mine?
6. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
(a) Jane Martin whipping John Gordon.
(b) Jane Martin and Albion Samweys copulating.
(c) Jane Martin and John Gordon praying.
(d) John Gordon whipping himself.
7. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
(b) At the cemetery.
(c) In the stocks.
(d) In a tree.
8. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
(a) He leans forward as if to kiss, then draws back.
(b) He opens his arms out as if to hug, then claps his hand together.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He starts yelling at them for being stupid.
9. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
(a) To the basement of the rectory.
(b) To the old mine shaft.
(c) To the village witch.
(d) To the Gowdies' cottage.
10. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) The rector spits on her.
(b) Faith's head pops off.
(c) Someone shouts that she is a witch.
(d) Elinor says something in her ear.
11. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
12. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
(a) Passed it through a bramble hedge.
(b) Left him out in the cold overnight.
(c) Performed a hex on the baby.
(d) Hung the infant from the ceiling.
13. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
(b) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
(c) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(d) He died in a mining accident.
14. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) The rectory.
(b) Anna's house.
(c) The Field.
(d) The Delf.
15. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
2. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
3. What does Anna's father do to Christopher Unwin during the night?
4. Where does Aphra spend the night after she is accused?
5. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)