|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sad marker does the town come upon in June?
(a) There are more people in the ground than above it.
(b) Plague free for six months.
(c) None of the answers if correct.
(d) There are more people above ground than in it.
2. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She cries and repents her devil worship.
(b) She runs into the woods.
(c) The armed woman murders her.
(d) She turns the knife on herself.
3. What new plan does the rector want the townspeople to undertake?
(a) Cut all their hair and burn it.
(b) Commit mass suicide.
(c) Burn down all their houses and start again.
(d) Burn all their possessions that may carry the plague.
4. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
(b) The rector.
(c) John Gordon.
5. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
(b) In a tree.
(c) In the stocks.
(d) At the cemetery.
6. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
(a) That she had been with child once.
(b) That she takes poppy every night so that she may sleep.
(c) That she is getting ready to flee.
(d) That the rector is sick.
7. Why does Anna throw Elinor and Michael's plates against the wall?
(a) They have the plague.
(b) She is angry with the cook.
(c) She hears Elinor is dead.
(d) She is envious of Elinor and the rector's relationship.
8. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She is stabbed multiple times.
(b) Her throat is slit.
(c) She faints.
(d) She has a stroke.
9. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
(a) For his treatment of Elinor.
(b) For his treatment of Anteros.
(c) Because he won't keep his hands off her.
(d) For the way he handled the plague.
10. Where is Elinor buried?
(a) Near the mine.
(b) At the Delf.
(c) In the churchyard.
(d) Her body is burned.
11. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
(b) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
(c) Because her father beat her.
(d) Because she has the plague.
12. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
13. Under what charge is Anna's father brought to trial?
(d) Attempted Murder.
14. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(b) His son.
(d) The rector.
15. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
(b) He died in a mining accident.
(c) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(d) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one topic do the rector and Elinor have a difference about?
2. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
3. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
4. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
5. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)