|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
(b) Because her father beat her.
(c) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
(d) Because she has the plague.
2. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She has a stroke.
(b) She is stabbed multiple times.
(c) Her throat is slit.
(d) She faints.
3. What service does Anna's father start up?
(c) Grave digging.
(d) Herb growing.
4. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
5. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
(a) He has the power to cure people with the plague.
(b) He is recovering from the plague.
(c) He is immune to the plague.
(d) He dies within minutes of getting the plague.
6. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(a) Anna's father.
(d) Mr. Stanley.
7. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
(a) Brand Rigney.
(b) Anna's father.
(d) Elinor Mompellion.
8. What sad marker does the town come upon in June?
(a) None of the answers if correct.
(b) Plague free for six months.
(c) There are more people in the ground than above it.
(d) There are more people above ground than in it.
9. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(a) His son.
(d) The rector.
10. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) In the stocks.
(b) At the cemetery.
(c) In a tree.
(d) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
11. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
(a) Passed it through a bramble hedge.
(b) Hung the infant from the ceiling.
(c) Left him out in the cold overnight.
(d) Performed a hex on the baby.
12. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
(a) She tries to induce labor.
(b) She tries to do a spell, hoping it will cure her husband.
(c) She tries to put her husband out of his misery.
(d) She runs after her husband, who abandoned her.
13. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
14. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
(a) She is sent to the stocks for a week.
(b) None; the rector says she had endured enough.
(c) She is sent to live in isolation and banned from the town.
(d) She is burned at the stake.
15. Where is Faith when Anna comes to visit Aphra?
(a) Hanging on the wall, dead.
(b) In the rafters.
(c) Dancing with her mother.
(d) Buried alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
2. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
3. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
4. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
5. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)