|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
(a) Dismiss the stable boy.
(b) Have sex.
(c) Run away together.
(d) Dance together.
2. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
(a) He is immune to the plague.
(b) He has the power to cure people with the plague.
(c) He dies within minutes of getting the plague.
(d) He is recovering from the plague.
3. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
(a) To the Gowdies' cottage.
(b) To the basement of the rectory.
(c) To the village witch.
(d) To the old mine shaft.
4. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
(b) John Gordon.
(d) The rector.
5. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
6. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) The Field.
(b) Anna's house.
(c) The Delf.
(d) The rectory.
7. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
(b) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
(c) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
(d) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
8. Whose illegitimate baby does Anna deliver?
(a) Margaret Livesedge's.
(c) Elizabeth Bradford's.
(d) Mrs. Bradford's.
9. What does the presence of the cockerel mean to Anna?
(a) The plague is getting stronger.
(b) Bad news is coming.
(c) The world is ending.
(d) The plague is gone.
10. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
(a) That the rector wasn't angry with her.
(b) That she had poppy to ease her pain.
(c) That she had done something that came out right.
(d) That it was warming up outside.
11. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
(a) She hears her cough.
(b) Elinor faints.
(c) There is a plague sore on Elinor.
(d) Elinor throws up.
12. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) Anna's father.
(d) Brand Rigney.
13. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
(a) He starts yelling at them for being stupid.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He leans forward as if to kiss, then draws back.
(d) He opens his arms out as if to hug, then claps his hand together.
14. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because her father beat her.
(b) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
(c) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
(d) Because she has the plague.
15. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
(b) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
(c) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
(d) She is looking for more poppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
2. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
3. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
4. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
5. Who is dragged to the meeting at the Delf dressed in black?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)