|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
(a) Anna's father.
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(d) Brand Rigney.
2. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
(a) She asks for money to take it where no one will know about it.
(b) She fights a knife from Elizabeth Bradford's hands.
(c) She gives the baby CPR.
(d) She uncovers the baby, as they have tried to bury it alive.
3. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
4. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She faints.
(b) She has a stroke.
(c) Her throat is slit.
(d) She is stabbed multiple times.
5. What does the presence of the cockerel mean to Anna?
(a) The plague is gone.
(b) Bad news is coming.
(c) The world is ending.
(d) The plague is getting stronger.
6. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(b) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(c) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
(d) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
7. What does Aphra run at Anna with when Anna bursts in the door?
(a) A magic wand.
(b) A spider.
(c) A serpent.
(d) A hot poker.
8. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
(a) That she is getting ready to flee.
(b) That she had been with child once.
(c) That she takes poppy every night so that she may sleep.
(d) That the rector is sick.
9. What is the condition of the Gordon cottage?
(a) It is abandoned.
(b) It is not there.
(c) It is burning.
(d) It is bare.
10. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
(a) She is afraid Anna has the plague and will give it to Faith.
(b) She is afraid Anna will badmouth her to her child.
(c) She is afraid Faith has the plague.
(d) She is afraid Anna will kill Faith in revenge.
11. Whose illegitimate baby does Anna deliver?
(b) Elizabeth Bradford's.
(c) Mrs. Bradford's.
(d) Margaret Livesedge's.
12. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
(a) He has the power to cure people with the plague.
(b) He dies within minutes of getting the plague.
(c) He is recovering from the plague.
(d) He is immune to the plague.
13. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
14. Who comes running toward the group in the middle of the Thanksgiving service?
15. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) Elinor standing outside her door.
(b) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(c) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
(d) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
2. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
3. What does Anna try to do for the rector but is unable?
4. What service does Anna's father start up?
5. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)