|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(a) Mr. Stanley.
(b) Anna's father.
2. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
(a) She hears her cough.
(b) There is a plague sore on Elinor.
(c) Elinor faints.
(d) Elinor throws up.
3. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
(a) He becomes a flagellant.
(b) He renounces all religion and becomes an atheist.
(c) He becomes a priest.
(d) He begins to pray at plague stricken bedsides.
4. Whose illegitimate baby does Anna deliver?
(a) Mrs. Bradford's.
(c) Margaret Livesedge's.
(d) Elizabeth Bradford's.
5. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
(a) That the rector wasn't angry with her.
(b) That it was warming up outside.
(c) That she had done something that came out right.
(d) That she had poppy to ease her pain.
6. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
7. Why does Anna throw Elinor and Michael's plates against the wall?
(a) She is envious of Elinor and the rector's relationship.
(b) She is angry with the cook.
(c) She hears Elinor is dead.
(d) They have the plague.
8. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
(a) She is afraid Anna will kill Faith in revenge.
(b) She is afraid Anna has the plague and will give it to Faith.
(c) She is afraid Faith has the plague.
(d) She is afraid Anna will badmouth her to her child.
9. Whom does Anna think she sees when she tries to light a fire in the cottage?
(a) Anys Gowdie.
(b) Mem Gowdie.
(c) Lib Hancock.
(d) Sam Frith.
10. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(d) Sage tea.
11. After Elinor tells Anna her secret, what do they spend the day doing?
(a) Winterizing the Gowdie garden.
(b) Researching herbs that will help them fight the plague.
(c) Packing so that they may flee soon.
(d) Taking poppy to forget their worries.
12. What sad marker does the town come upon in June?
(a) There are more people above ground than in it.
(b) None of the answers if correct.
(c) There are more people in the ground than above it.
(d) Plague free for six months.
13. What deal does Anna make with her father in return for his service digging graves?
(a) Some of her lambs.
(c) Her medicinal herbs.
14. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
(a) Dismiss the stable boy.
(b) Have sex.
(c) Dance together.
(d) Run away together.
15. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) The Field.
(b) The Delf.
(c) The rectory.
(d) Anna's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
2. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
3. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
4. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
5. What was in the pot the Mowbrays were boiling?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)