|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna throw Elinor and Michael's plates against the wall?
(a) She hears Elinor is dead.
(b) She is angry with the cook.
(c) She is envious of Elinor and the rector's relationship.
(d) They have the plague.
2. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
(a) Selling people spells while disguised as Anys.
(b) Haunting the living with memories of their dead loved ones.
(c) Digging graves before the victims are dead.
(d) Performing hexes on the living.
3. Where is Elinor buried?
(a) Her body is burned.
(b) Near the mine.
(c) At the Delf.
(d) In the churchyard.
4. What is the condition of the Gordon cottage?
(a) It is abandoned.
(b) It is not there.
(c) It is burning.
(d) It is bare.
5. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She runs into the woods.
(b) She cries and repents her devil worship.
(c) The armed woman murders her.
(d) She turns the knife on herself.
6. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
7. What disappointing decision does the rector tell the church members during his sermon that he delivers while exhausted?
(a) That the Bradfords have returned with medicine.
(b) That those who wish should flee from the plague.
(c) That they will be closing the church, service will be held outside.
(d) That he is stepping down as rector.
8. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
(b) The rector.
(d) John Gordon.
9. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
(a) He starts yelling at them for being stupid.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He opens his arms out as if to hug, then claps his hand together.
(d) He leans forward as if to kiss, then draws back.
10. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
(d) A horse.
11. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
(a) Jane Martin and John Gordon praying.
(b) Jane Martin whipping John Gordon.
(c) Jane Martin and Albion Samweys copulating.
(d) John Gordon whipping himself.
12. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
(a) A ring of roses.
(b) A crown of thorns.
(c) A sack of poisonous herbs.
(d) A figure of sticks, not Christian.
13. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
(b) She is looking for more poppy.
(c) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
(d) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
14. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(a) Sage tea.
15. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
(a) Anna is crying for all the dead children.
(b) Anna is crying because she is in love with the rector.
(c) Anna is crying for Elinor's unborn child.
(d) Anna is crying for her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
2. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
3. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
4. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
5. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)