|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Anna think she sees when she tries to light a fire in the cottage?
(a) Mem Gowdie.
(b) Anys Gowdie.
(c) Sam Frith.
(d) Lib Hancock.
2. What does Aphra run at Anna with when Anna bursts in the door?
(a) A magic wand.
(b) A hot poker.
(c) A serpent.
(d) A spider.
3. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
(a) Dance together.
(b) Dismiss the stable boy.
(c) Run away together.
(d) Have sex.
4. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
(b) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
(c) She is looking for more poppy.
(d) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
5. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
(b) A horse.
6. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
(a) That she had been with child once.
(b) That she takes poppy every night so that she may sleep.
(c) That she is getting ready to flee.
(d) That the rector is sick.
7. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
(a) He gets into a fistfight with Anna's father.
(b) He has a heart attack and dies.
(c) He faints.
(d) He coughs up blood.
8. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
(a) They are mean and vindictive.
(b) They are surprised and proud.
(c) They are scornful.
(d) They turn them away.
9. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
10. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
(a) She is afraid Anna will badmouth her to her child.
(b) She is afraid Anna will kill Faith in revenge.
(c) She is afraid Faith has the plague.
(d) She is afraid Anna has the plague and will give it to Faith.
11. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
(a) Anna is crying because she is in love with the rector.
(b) Anna is crying for Elinor's unborn child.
(c) Anna is crying for her father.
(d) Anna is crying for all the dead children.
12. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
(b) Elinor standing outside her door.
(c) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(d) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
13. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) Someone shouts that she is a witch.
(b) Elinor says something in her ear.
(c) The rector spits on her.
(d) Faith's head pops off.
14. Under what charge is Anna's father brought to trial?
(d) Attempted Murder.
15. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
(a) For his treatment of Elinor.
(b) For the way he handled the plague.
(c) Because he won't keep his hands off her.
(d) For his treatment of Anteros.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
2. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
3. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
4. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
5. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)