|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
(a) She is afraid Anna has the plague and will give it to Faith.
(b) She is afraid Anna will badmouth her to her child.
(c) She is afraid Faith has the plague.
(d) She is afraid Anna will kill Faith in revenge.
2. What service does Anna's father start up?
(a) Herb growing.
(d) Grave digging.
3. What sets the angry woman off for the second time at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) Faith's head pops off.
(b) Elinor says something in her ear.
(c) The rector spits on her.
(d) Someone shouts that she is a witch.
4. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
5. Who is dragged to the meeting at the Delf dressed in black?
6. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
(a) That she had been with child once.
(b) That she is getting ready to flee.
(c) That the rector is sick.
(d) That she takes poppy every night so that she may sleep.
7. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She has a stroke.
(b) She is stabbed multiple times.
(c) Her throat is slit.
(d) She faints.
8. What is the name of Anna and Mompellion's child?
9. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
(a) A figure of sticks, not Christian.
(b) A ring of roses.
(c) A sack of poisonous herbs.
(d) A crown of thorns.
10. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
11. What is Aphra doing when Anna comes to check on her?
(b) Dancing before the fire.
(c) Setting her house on fire.
(d) Burying Faith.
12. How does Jane Martin's behavior change from the beginning of the novel?
(a) She becomes a recluse.
(b) She changes religion.
(c) She becomes promiscuous.
(d) She becomes extremely devout.
13. What does Mompellion do after Elinor's death that is unusual?
(a) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(b) Takes Anteros for a ride and doesn't come back for days.
(c) Burns all of Elinor's possessions.
(d) Locks himself up in the rectory.
14. What business does the rector take care of before mourning Elinor's death?
(a) Carves a gravestone.
(b) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(c) Goes to Elinor's father to tell the news.
(d) Opens up the road and writes the plague has passed.
15. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
(a) Run away together.
(b) Have sex.
(c) Dance together.
(d) Dismiss the stable boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What one topic do the rector and Elinor have a difference about?
2. What sad marker does the town come upon in June?
3. Whom does Anna think she sees when she tries to light a fire in the cottage?
4. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
5. Why does Anna throw Elinor and Michael's plates against the wall?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)