|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
(a) There is a plague sore on Elinor.
(b) Elinor faints.
(c) She hears her cough.
(d) Elinor throws up.
2. What does the presence of the cockerel mean to Anna?
(a) The plague is getting stronger.
(b) The world is ending.
(c) The plague is gone.
(d) Bad news is coming.
3. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
(a) To show that women can to men's work.
(b) To save Merry Wickford, who is trapped there.
(c) To find herbs that grow underground.
(d) To get lead for Merry.
4. Why will Anna not testify for her father in court?
(a) She is afraid she will cause her father harm.
(b) She is in love with Christopher Unwin.
(c) She knows nothing of the situation.
(d) She does not want to speak on her father's behalf.
5. Why is Anna crying in the rectory kitchen?
(a) Anna is crying for all the dead children.
(b) Anna is crying for her father.
(c) Anna is crying for Elinor's unborn child.
(d) Anna is crying because she is in love with the rector.
6. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
(a) Takes Anteros for a ride.
(b) Throws his food dish at the wall.
(c) Slaps him across the face.
(d) Cuts his cheek with a razor.
7. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
(a) Burning at the stake.
(c) Firing squad.
(d) A dagger through the hands.
8. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
(a) That the rector is sick.
(b) That she takes poppy every night so that she may sleep.
(c) That she had been with child once.
(d) That she is getting ready to flee.
9. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) Brand Rigney.
(d) Anna's father.
10. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
(a) She gives the baby CPR.
(b) She asks for money to take it where no one will know about it.
(c) She uncovers the baby, as they have tried to bury it alive.
(d) She fights a knife from Elizabeth Bradford's hands.
11. Whose illegitimate baby does Anna deliver?
(b) Elizabeth Bradford's.
(c) Mrs. Bradford's.
(d) Margaret Livesedge's.
12. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(b) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
(c) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
(d) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
13. Why does Anna throw Elinor and Michael's plates against the wall?
(a) She is envious of Elinor and the rector's relationship.
(b) They have the plague.
(c) She hears Elinor is dead.
(d) She is angry with the cook.
14. What does the armed woman have in her arms at the Thanksgiving service?
(d) A serpent.
15. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(a) Mr. Stanley.
(c) Anna's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
2. What does Mompellion do after Elinor's death that is unusual?
3. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
4. What predicament was Elinor in after her lover abandoned her?
5. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)