|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of the Gordon cottage?
(a) It is bare.
(b) It is abandoned.
(c) It is burning.
(d) It is not there.
2. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(b) Elinor standing outside her door.
(c) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
(d) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
3. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) John Gordon.
(d) The rector.
4. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
5. What is the name of Anna and Mompellion's child?
6. How does Jane Martin's behavior change from the beginning of the novel?
(a) She becomes a recluse.
(b) She becomes promiscuous.
(c) She changes religion.
(d) She becomes extremely devout.
7. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) Anna's house.
(b) The Delf.
(c) The rectory.
(d) The Field.
8. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
(a) To the old mine shaft.
(b) To the Gowdies' cottage.
(c) To the basement of the rectory.
(d) To the village witch.
9. Whose cockerel does Anna see in her yard one morning?
(a) Andrew Merrick's.
(d) The rector's.
10. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
(a) Elinor throws up.
(b) There is a plague sore on Elinor.
(c) Elinor faints.
(d) She hears her cough.
11. What dangerous method does Anna use in the mine?
12. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
(a) The rector.
(b) John Gordon.
13. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
(b) She is looking for more poppy.
(c) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
(d) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
14. What was in the pot the Mowbrays were boiling?
(a) Their baby.
(c) Baby urine.
(d) A dog.
15. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
(a) Jane Martin and John Gordon praying.
(b) Jane Martin and Albion Samweys copulating.
(c) John Gordon whipping himself.
(d) Jane Martin whipping John Gordon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What deal does Anna make with her father in return for his service digging graves?
2. What was the name of the boy who abandoned Elinor after convincing her to run away from home?
3. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
4. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
5. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)