|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the townspeople accuse Aphra of doing?
(a) Selling people spells while disguised as Anys.
(b) Performing hexes on the living.
(c) Haunting the living with memories of their dead loved ones.
(d) Digging graves before the victims are dead.
2. What sad marker does the town come upon in June?
(a) There are more people in the ground than above it.
(b) There are more people above ground than in it.
(c) None of the answers if correct.
(d) Plague free for six months.
3. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
(a) The rector says her father's work is unsatisfactory.
(b) Anna's father is digging a grave for the rector.
(c) The rector insults Anna's father without cause.
(d) Anna's father is digging a grave while the patient is recovering.
4. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
5. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
(a) She uncovers the baby, as they have tried to bury it alive.
(b) She gives the baby CPR.
(c) She fights a knife from Elizabeth Bradford's hands.
(d) She asks for money to take it where no one will know about it.
6. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
(a) Firing squad.
(c) Burning at the stake.
(d) A dagger through the hands.
7. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) She is looking for more poppy.
(b) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
(c) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
(d) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
8. How does Jane Martin's behavior change from the beginning of the novel?
(a) She becomes promiscuous.
(b) She changes religion.
(c) She becomes extremely devout.
(d) She becomes a recluse.
9. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
(a) That the rector wasn't angry with her.
(b) That it was warming up outside.
(c) That she had done something that came out right.
(d) That she had poppy to ease her pain.
10. What business does the rector take care of before mourning Elinor's death?
(a) Opens up the road and writes the plague has passed.
(b) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(c) Goes to Elinor's father to tell the news.
(d) Carves a gravestone.
11. What happens to the rector during the mass where he is visibly tired?
(a) He gets into a fistfight with Anna's father.
(b) He coughs up blood.
(c) He faints.
(d) He has a heart attack and dies.
12. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
(a) Elinor standing outside her door.
(b) Anys Gowdie standing in her garden.
(c) A large snowfall preventing her from going to the rectory.
(d) Sally Maston standing in the doorway, her parents dying from the plague.
13. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
14. What does Mompellion do after Elinor's death that is unusual?
(a) Locks himself up in the rectory.
(b) Burns all of Elinor's possessions.
(c) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(d) Takes Anteros for a ride and doesn't come back for days.
15. What do Anna and the rector give Urith Gordon?
(a) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aphra make for Josiah that Anna questions?
2. What does Anna notice about the will that the rector drew up for Jakob Merrill?
3. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
4. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
5. What deal does Anna make with her father in return for his service digging graves?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)