|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna do that snaps the rector out of his daze?
(a) Slaps him across the face.
(b) Takes Anteros for a ride.
(c) Throws his food dish at the wall.
(d) Cuts his cheek with a razor.
2. What happens to Aphra at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She runs into the woods.
(b) The armed woman murders her.
(c) She turns the knife on herself.
(d) She cries and repents her devil worship.
3. Why do Anna and Elinor go down into the Wickford mine?
(a) To save Merry Wickford, who is trapped there.
(b) To get lead for Merry.
(c) To show that women can to men's work.
(d) To find herbs that grow underground.
4. What is the name of Anna and Mompellion's child?
5. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
(a) She is afraid Faith has the plague.
(b) She is afraid Anna has the plague and will give it to Faith.
(c) She is afraid Anna will badmouth her to her child.
(d) She is afraid Anna will kill Faith in revenge.
6. What does Elinor say when she is delirious?
(a) "Michael, how much longer, my love?"
(b) "Michael, my love, I'm pregnant."
(c) "Michael, save me."
(d) "Michael, go on without me."
7. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) At the cemetery.
(b) In a tree.
(c) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
(d) In the stocks.
8. Who comes to Anna's cottage looking for Anna's father?
(b) His son.
(d) The rector.
9. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
(c) John Gordon.
(d) The rector.
10. Where does Anna end up at the end of the novel?
11. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
(a) Because she has the plague.
(b) Because the cold freezes her limbs.
(c) Because her father beat her.
(d) Because she is sore and bruised from her work in the mine.
12. What punishment does Aphra receive from the villagers?
(a) None; the rector says she had endured enough.
(b) She is sent to live in isolation and banned from the town.
(c) She is sent to the stocks for a week.
(d) She is burned at the stake.
13. Where is Faith when Anna comes to visit Aphra?
(a) Dancing with her mother.
(b) Buried alive.
(c) Hanging on the wall, dead.
(d) In the rafters.
14. What does Anna take from the Hadfields to help her sleep?
(c) Sage tea.
15. What happened to Kate Talbot's husband?
(a) He burned his plague sore with a hot iron.
(b) He abandoned his family, afraid of the plague.
(c) He died in a mining accident.
(d) Kate burned him when they got into an argument.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the rector convince Jakob Merill to leave his house to?
2. What was in the pot the Mowbrays were boiling?
3. What is the condition of Anna's father when they find him?
4. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
5. Who is able to subdue the angry woman at the Thanksgiving service?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)