|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new plan does the rector want the townspeople to undertake?
(a) Commit mass suicide.
(b) Burn down all their houses and start again.
(c) Burn all their possessions that may carry the plague.
(d) Cut all their hair and burn it.
2. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
(a) Anna's house.
(b) The Field.
(c) The rectory.
(d) The Delf.
3. How does Jane Martin's behavior change from the beginning of the novel?
(a) She becomes promiscuous.
(b) She becomes a recluse.
(c) She changes religion.
(d) She becomes extremely devout.
4. What makes Anna suspect that Elinor is sick?
(a) Elinor throws up.
(b) She hears her cough.
(c) Elinor faints.
(d) There is a plague sore on Elinor.
5. What does Aphra run at Anna with when Anna bursts in the door?
(a) A hot poker.
(b) A magic wand.
(c) A spider.
(d) A serpent.
6. What does Anna's father do to Christopher Unwin during the night?
(a) Tries to infect him with the plague.
(b) Challenges him to a duel.
(c) Tries to bury him.
(d) Accuses Christopher of starting the plague.
7. What is the reaction of the other miners when Elinor and Anna go to the miner's tavern?
(a) They are scornful.
(b) They turn them away.
(c) They are surprised and proud.
(d) They are mean and vindictive.
8. What is Anna's father sentenced to?
(a) A dagger through the hands.
(b) Firing squad.
(c) Burning at the stake.
9. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
(a) Passed it through a bramble hedge.
(b) Hung the infant from the ceiling.
(c) Left him out in the cold overnight.
(d) Performed a hex on the baby.
10. Who comes running toward the group in the middle of the Thanksgiving service?
11. Where does Aphra spend the night after she is accused?
(a) In the stocks.
(b) In the churchyard, chained to a cross.
(c) At the rectory.
(d) In a fertilizer pool.
12. Whose cockerel does Anna see in her yard one morning?
(b) Andrew Merrick's.
(d) The rector's.
13. What was Anna happy about when she went to sleep after going into the mine?
(a) That the rector wasn't angry with her.
(b) That she had poppy to ease her pain.
(c) That it was warming up outside.
(d) That she had done something that came out right.
14. Where is Faith when Anna comes to visit Aphra?
(a) Buried alive.
(b) In the rafters.
(c) Hanging on the wall, dead.
(d) Dancing with her mother.
15. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anna and the rector do that Anna is ashamed of?
2. What business does the rector take care of before mourning Elinor's death?
3. Why won't Aphra let Anna keep Faith until she recovers?
4. What does Anna notice about the will that the rector drew up for Jakob Merrill?
5. Who is the armed woman screaming at when she comes to the Thanksgiving service?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)