|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Elinor looking through the Gowdies' herbs?
(a) She is actually looking for Anys's book of spells.
(b) She is looking for more poppy.
(c) She is burning the herbs because they are witchcraft.
(d) To see if she can find things that will strengthen the healthy against the plague.
2. What did the Mowbrays do to their infant to protect it from the plague?
(a) Left him out in the cold overnight.
(b) Passed it through a bramble hedge.
(c) Hung the infant from the ceiling.
(d) Performed a hex on the baby.
3. What does Anna notice about the will that the rector drew up for Jakob Merrill?
(a) The will is in Latin.
(b) He has forgotten the date and also wrote in the wrong name once.
(c) The rector cannot write properlyf
(d) He has actually left the house to his neighbor.
4. Why is Anna disgusted with the rector?
(a) For his treatment of Anteros.
(b) For the way he handled the plague.
(c) Because he won't keep his hands off her.
(d) For his treatment of Elinor.
5. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
(a) She asks for money to take it where no one will know about it.
(b) She fights a knife from Elizabeth Bradford's hands.
(c) She uncovers the baby, as they have tried to bury it alive.
(d) She gives the baby CPR.
6. What does Mompellion do after Elinor's death that is unusual?
(a) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(b) Burns all of Elinor's possessions.
(c) Takes Anteros for a ride and doesn't come back for days.
(d) Locks himself up in the rectory.
7. Whose cockerel does Anna see in her yard one morning?
(c) The rector's.
(d) Andrew Merrick's.
8. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He opens his arms out as if to hug, then claps his hand together.
(c) He starts yelling at them for being stupid.
(d) He leans forward as if to kiss, then draws back.
9. What does Kate Talbot resort to in her desperation after seeing her husband's affliction?
(a) She tries to put her husband out of his misery.
(b) She runs after her husband, who abandoned her.
(c) She tries to do a spell, hoping it will cure her husband.
(d) She tries to induce labor.
10. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) At the cemetery.
(b) In the stocks.
(c) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
(d) In a tree.
11. What does Elinor carry in her arms during the Thanksgiving service?
12. What deal does Anna make with her father in return for his service digging graves?
(b) Some of her lambs.
(c) Her medicinal herbs.
13. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
14. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(b) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
(c) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
(d) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
15. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
(a) Jane Martin whipping John Gordon.
(b) Jane Martin and John Gordon praying.
(c) Jane Martin and Albion Samweys copulating.
(d) John Gordon whipping himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anna go to find more sleep aid?
2. Why are the simplest tasks hard for Anna in the days after going into the mine?
3. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
4. Where is Faith when Anna comes to visit Aphra?
5. Whom does Anna want to see before they die from the plague?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)