|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Elinor reveal about herself to Anna?
(a) That she is getting ready to flee.
(b) That the rector is sick.
(c) That she had been with child once.
(d) That she takes poppy every night so that she may sleep.
2. What does the armed woman have in her arms at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) A serpent.
3. Whose cockerel does Anna see in her yard one morning?
(a) The rector's.
(d) Andrew Merrick's.
4. What happens to Elinor at the Thanksgiving service?
(a) She is stabbed multiple times.
(b) She faints.
(c) She has a stroke.
(d) Her throat is slit.
5. What does John Gordon begin to do to try to ward off the plague?
(a) He renounces all religion and becomes an atheist.
(b) He becomes a priest.
(c) He becomes a flagellant.
(d) He begins to pray at plague stricken bedsides.
6. What is strange about Christopher Unwin's condition?
(a) He has the power to cure people with the plague.
(b) He is recovering from the plague.
(c) He is immune to the plague.
(d) He dies within minutes of getting the plague.
7. What do the rector and Anna see as they ride to the Gordon cottage?
(a) Jane Martin and John Gordon praying.
(b) Jane Martin and Albion Samweys copulating.
(c) Jane Martin whipping John Gordon.
(d) John Gordon whipping himself.
8. Who finishes the sermon for the rector?
(a) Mr. Stanley.
(c) Anna's father.
9. Where do they finally find John Gordon?
(a) At the cemetery.
(b) In a tree.
(c) Dead; fallen off the Edge.
(d) In the stocks.
10. What business does the rector take care of before mourning Elinor's death?
(a) Carves a gravestone.
(b) Opens up the road and writes the plague has passed.
(c) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(d) Goes to Elinor's father to tell the news.
11. Who is dragged to the meeting at the Delf dressed in black?
12. What does Mompellion do after Elinor's death that is unusual?
(a) Locks himself up in the rectory.
(b) Cuts his hair and burns it.
(c) Takes Anteros for a ride and doesn't come back for days.
(d) Burns all of Elinor's possessions.
13. What is strange about the rector's reaction when he sees Elinor and Anna at the tavern?
(a) He opens his arms out as if to hug, then claps his hand together.
(b) He starts yelling at them for being stupid.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He leans forward as if to kiss, then draws back.
14. What color are Elinor and the rector wearing at the service?
15. What conclusion does Anna come to about the plague after leaving the Mowbrays?
(a) The plague is neither God nor Devil, but nature.
(b) The plague was sent to weed out the weak.
(c) The plague is not the Devil or nature, but God.
(d) The plague is not nature or God, but the Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna save the illegitimate baby's life?
2. Why do the rector and Josiah get into a fight outside Unwin's house?
3. How old is Aphra's child, Faith?
4. What does Anna see when she wakes up and goes outside after her substance-induced sleep?
5. Where does the rector hold his services now that the church is closed?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)