|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
(a) She cries uncontrollably.
(b) She begins to break out in hives.
(c) She is unable to control herself and urinates.
(d) She passes out.
2. Why does Maggie Cantwell come for Anna's help?
(a) She has come looking for George.
(b) She is accused of being a witch and needs somewhere to hide.
(c) The Bradfords are leaving; she needs help getting her things.
(d) She has traveled to the village to help Anna, and needs a place to stay.
3. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
4. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
(b) Mary's husband, Randoll.
(c) The rector.
5. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
(a) Anys sings to Jamie until he falls asleep.
(b) Anys performs witchcraft to cure Jamie of the plague.
(c) Anys gives Jamie water when he needs it.
(d) Anys rubs Jamie with salve to cool him down.
6. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
(a) She is severely sick from her near-drowning and dies.
(b) She leaves the village and survives.
(c) She is killed because she is thought to be a witch.
(d) She gets the plague and dies.
7. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
(a) Because he isn't a very good tailor.
(b) Because he cannot control his temper.
(c) Because he thinks he has offended Anna with his mimic.
(d) Because he accidentally hurt Jamie.
8. What does Anna feed the horse?
9. What comes from London for Mr. Viccars?
(a) A box of cloth.
(b) A book.
(d) A new sewing kit.
10. What relationship did Anys and George have?
(c) A romantic relationship; he wanted to marry Anys.
(d) A romantic relationship, though he was in love with Anna.
11. Who carries Mr. Viccars' body downstairs?
(c) The rector.
12. What ultimately happens to Maggie Cantwell?
(a) She dies from her injuries and from the stroke.
(b) She ends up living in the orchard alone.
(c) She moves around the village, offering medicine and curing the plague.
(d) She dies from the plague and is buried.
13. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
(a) Anna's sister.
(b) A cook for the Bradford family.
(c) A witch.
(d) George Viccars' wife.
14. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
(d) Old Mem.
15. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
(a) Warn neighboring villages.
(b) Stay and fight the disease.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Flee to cleaner air.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Colonel Bradford insult during this interaction with the rector?
2. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
3. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
4. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
5. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)