|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
(a) She is tending to her sheep.
(b) The rector wants to meet her there.
(c) She hears there is a witch in the village and runs to meet them.
(d) She goes there to think about Sam.
2. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
(a) She doesn't want to meet people on the road.
(b) She wants to pick some apples for herself.
(c) The orchard is faster.
(d) The road is dark and dangerous.
3. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
(a) Lib Hancock.
(b) Michael Mompellion.
(c) Sam Frith.
(d) George Viccars.
4. What is the name of the rector's horse?
5. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
(a) That those who are well should flee to a healthy village.
(b) That the village should stay and contain the plague.
(c) That God is punishing them for their sins.
(d) That there is no hope; they will all die together in the village.
6. Why does Anna run home after the altercation with her father?
(a) She feels lightheaded and needs to lie down.
(b) She hears that someone survived the plague.
(c) She is humiliated and scrubs herself clean.
(d) Someone tells her that her house is on fire.
7. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
(a) To come back later.
(b) To come in.
(c) To go to hell.
(d) That he will see them another time.
8. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
9. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
(a) To remember Sam.
(b) To see her father.
(c) To get a drink.
(d) To borrow a handcart.
10. What does Anna feed the horse?
11. How does Mr. Viccars die?
(a) A mining accident.
(b) Mr. Viccars doesn't die.
(c) A riding accident.
(d) He gets terribly ill.
12. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
(a) Mrs. Mompellion.
(c) George Viccars.
(d) The rector.
13. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
(d) Old Mem.
14. Why does Anys come to Anna's house?
(a) To give Anna some herbs.
(b) To buy some milk.
(c) To pick up a dress George made for her.
(d) To visit Anna.
15. How long has the rector lived in the village?
(a) Three years.
(b) His whole life.
(c) Two years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
2. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
3. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
4. What does the Londoner tell the other diners during the Bradfords' dinner party?
5. Who comes to rescue the first accused witch?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)