|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
(a) The rector.
(c) Mary's husband, Randoll.
2. What are Mary and Anna doing at the Hadfield residence in the chapter 'Rat-Fall'?
(a) Washing clothes.
(b) Butchering a hog.
(c) Chopping wood.
3. What condition is Maggie in when Anna leaves the tavern and sees her?
(a) She has worsened, and appears to have had another stroke.
(b) She is even better; her medicine has cured a child.
(c) She is in despair; no one will let her stay with them.
(d) She has worsened; the plague has ravaged her body.
4. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
(a) The rector is singing.
(b) She is breastfeeding.
(c) The rector should be in church.
(d) Anna is naked.
5. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
(a) Dead rats.
(b) Rotten wood.
6. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
(c) A doctor.
7. What is Josiah doing when Anna gets to the tavern?
8. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
(b) No method.
(c) Shock therapy.
9. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
(a) Mem Gowdie.
(b) Anna's father and stepmother.
(c) The Bradfords.
10. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
(a) George Viccars' wife.
(b) A cook for the Bradford family.
(c) Anna's sister.
(d) A witch.
11. What does the rector refer to the plague as?
(a) A "venom of the blood".
(b) A "challenge of faith".
(c) A "natural selection".
(d) A "curse for the ages".
12. Who is Tom?
(a) Anna's baby.
(b) Anna's husband.
(c) Anna's brother.
(d) Anna's father.
13. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
(a) The baby is deformed.
(b) The baby is backwards.
(c) The baby is dead.
(d) There is no baby.
14. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
(a) She is killed because she is thought to be a witch.
(b) She leaves the village and survives.
(c) She is severely sick from her near-drowning and dies.
(d) She gets the plague and dies.
15. Why does Maggie Cantwell come for Anna's help?
(a) She has traveled to the village to help Anna, and needs a place to stay.
(b) The Bradfords are leaving; she needs help getting her things.
(c) She has come looking for George.
(d) She is accused of being a witch and needs somewhere to hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
2. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
3. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
4. Who comes to talk to the Bradfords while they are packing?
5. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)