|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
(a) Anys rubs Jamie with salve to cool him down.
(b) Anys gives Jamie water when he needs it.
(c) Anys sings to Jamie until he falls asleep.
(d) Anys performs witchcraft to cure Jamie of the plague.
2. What does Mr. Viccars give to Anna?
(a) A dress he made for her.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A toy for Jamie.
(d) A book.
3. Where does Maggie Cantwell go after the Bradfords throw her out?
(a) To Anna's house.
(b) To Blackwell.
(c) To Canterbury.
(d) With the Bradfords.
4. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
(a) A witch.
(b) Cow and grass-eater.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A horse.
5. Who carries Mr. Viccars' body downstairs?
(b) The rector.
6. What happens to Tom soon after news of Edward?
(a) He dies.
(b) He becomes deaf.
(c) He catches a fever, but lives.
(d) He grows big and strong.
7. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
(a) The baby is dead.
(b) The baby is deformed.
(c) There is no baby.
(d) The baby is backwards.
8. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They beat her to death.
(b) They take her to trial.
(c) They hang her from a tree.
(d) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
9. Why does the name of the rector's horse cause a stir in the village?
(a) Because it is the name of a pagan idol.
(b) Because it means something bad.
(c) Because rectors should not have horses.
(d) Because the do not believe in naming horses.
10. Who is screaming when Anna wakes up after falling asleep with Tom?
11. Why doesn't Anna scold the stable boy?
(a) The stable boy starts crying.
(b) She sees that his face is worn and exhausted.
(c) The stable boy is actually her son.
(d) The stable boy is not around.
12. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
(a) To remember Sam.
(b) To see her father.
(c) To get a drink.
(d) To borrow a handcart.
13. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
14. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
(a) Puts poppy in her pocket.
(b) Washes her clothes.
(c) Baptizes the baby.
(d) Buries the stillborn child.
15. Who comes to talk to the Bradfords while they are packing?
(a) Sam Frith.
(b) Rector Mompellion.
(c) Elinor Mompellion.
(d) Mary Hadfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
2. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
3. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
4. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
5. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)