|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is George Viccars' trade?
(a) A priest.
(b) A miner.
(c) A journeyman tailor.
(d) A blacksmith.
2. What comes from London for Mr. Viccars?
(a) A box of cloth.
(b) A new sewing kit.
(c) A book.
3. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
(a) She is breastfeeding.
(b) The rector is singing.
(c) The rector should be in church.
(d) Anna is naked.
4. Who carries Mr. Viccars' body downstairs?
(d) The rector.
5. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
(a) The baby is dead.
(b) There is no baby.
(c) The baby is deformed.
(d) The baby is backwards.
6. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
(a) That Elizabeth Bradford has the plague.
(b) That Colonel Bradford is actually a very generous and kind man.
(c) That the rector is wrong.
(d) That she has nowhere to go and nothing to protect or hope for.
7. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
(b) He dies.
(c) He only has a fever, and follows the doctor's orders.
(d) He goes into a coma.
8. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
(a) Because he isn't a very good tailor.
(b) Because he accidentally hurt Jamie.
(c) Because he thinks he has offended Anna with his mimic.
(d) Because he cannot control his temper.
9. Who is Jamie?
(a) Anna's father.
(b) Anna's husband.
(c) Anna's brother.
(d) Anna's son.
10. What ultimately happens to Maggie Cantwell?
(a) She moves around the village, offering medicine and curing the plague.
(b) She dies from the plague and is buried.
(c) She ends up living in the orchard alone.
(d) She dies from her injuries and from the stroke.
11. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
(a) Anys performs witchcraft to cure Jamie of the plague.
(b) Anys sings to Jamie until he falls asleep.
(c) Anys rubs Jamie with salve to cool him down.
(d) Anys gives Jamie water when he needs it.
12. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
(a) Puts poppy in her pocket.
(b) Baptizes the baby.
(c) Buries the stillborn child.
(d) Washes her clothes.
13. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They hang her from a tree.
(b) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
(c) They take her to trial.
(d) They beat her to death.
14. Who is Anna referring to in this sentence? "She was a shrewd woman, in spite of all her superstitious fancies."
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(b) Her stepmother.
(c) Anys Gowdie.
(d) Mary Hadfield.
15. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
(a) She is delivering a draught to Edward, who has a fever.
(b) She is going to help butcher a hog.
(c) She is going for a visit.
(d) She is delivering bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
2. Why does the rector grab Anna's arm when she reaches for the Bible?
3. What does Anna do for the Bradfords?
4. What does the rector refer to the plague as?
5. Who does Anys live with?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)