|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anys come to Anna's house?
(a) To visit Anna.
(b) To give Anna some herbs.
(c) To buy some milk.
(d) To pick up a dress George made for her.
2. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
(a) The rector should be in church.
(b) She is breastfeeding.
(c) Anna is naked.
(d) The rector is singing.
3. What condition is Maggie in when Anna leaves the tavern and sees her?
(a) She is in despair; no one will let her stay with them.
(b) She has worsened, and appears to have had another stroke.
(c) She is even better; her medicine has cured a child.
(d) She has worsened; the plague has ravaged her body.
4. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
(a) That the village should stay and contain the plague.
(b) That those who are well should flee to a healthy village.
(c) That there is no hope; they will all die together in the village.
(d) That God is punishing them for their sins.
5. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
(a) A witch.
(b) A cook for the Bradford family.
(c) George Viccars' wife.
(d) Anna's sister.
6. Why doesn't Anna scold the stable boy?
(a) The stable boy is actually her son.
(b) The stable boy is not around.
(c) She sees that his face is worn and exhausted.
(d) The stable boy starts crying.
7. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
(a) He counts the lambs for Anna.
(b) He reaches inside and helps the ewe give birth.
(c) He watches his baby brother.
(d) He doesn't help her.
8. What do Anna and her children find in the field?
(a) A newborn lamb.
(b) A ewe in labor.
(c) A dead ewe.
(d) A dead lamb.
9. What relationship did Anys and George have?
(a) A romantic relationship; he wanted to marry Anys.
(c) A romantic relationship, though he was in love with Anna.
10. Who acknowledges Anna's presence and offers their condolences at the Bradfords' dinner party?
(a) The Londoner.
(b) Mrs. Mompellion.
(c) Colonel Bradford.
(d) The rector.
11. What does Mr. Viccars give to Anna?
(a) A dress he made for her.
(b) A book.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A toy for Jamie.
12. Who is Sam?
(a) Anna's Uncle.
(b) Anna's husband.
(c) Anna's brother.
(d) Anna's son.
13. Why doesn't any of the murderous mob get prosecuted for their actions?
(a) The justice of the peace will not come to the village for fear of the plague.
(b) The justice of the peace has the plague as well.
(c) The justice of the peace will not come near a village with witches in it.
(d) There is no one to prosecute; they have all died of the plague.
14. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
(a) She wants to pick some apples for herself.
(b) The road is dark and dangerous.
(c) The orchard is faster.
(d) She doesn't want to meet people on the road.
15. What is the name of the rector's horse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
2. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
3. What does the crowd do to Anys?
4. What does the narrator do with the apples?
5. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)