|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
(a) Shock therapy.
(c) No method.
2. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
(a) Because no one will deliver apples to the rectory.
(b) Because they were not in season.
(c) Because apples don't grow near there.
(d) Because there were so few people to do the picking.
3. What evidence does Mary Hadfield have to accuse the victim of witchcraft?
(a) Mary says she saw the witch floating in the water.
(b) Mary says she whispered a curse on her son Edward.
(c) Mary says the herbs she gave her killed her son Edward.
(d) Mary says she saw the witch on her broom.
4. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
(a) A horse.
(b) Cow and grass-eater.
(c) An idiot.
(d) A witch.
5. What punishment does Anna compare the plague to?
(b) Lashing and pickling.
(c) Time out.
(d) Drawing and quartering.
6. Who is Anna referring to in this sentence? "She was a shrewd woman, in spite of all her superstitious fancies."
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(b) Her stepmother.
(c) Mary Hadfield.
(d) Anys Gowdie.
7. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
(a) A place to stay.
(b) Advice for her problems.
(c) Money for the medicine.
(d) Mutton broth.
8. Where does Maggie Cantwell go after the Bradfords throw her out?
(a) To Canterbury.
(b) To Anna's house.
(c) With the Bradfords.
(d) To Blackwell.
9. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
(a) She doesn't want to meet people on the road.
(b) The orchard is faster.
(c) The road is dark and dangerous.
(d) She wants to pick some apples for herself.
10. What does Anna do for the Bradfords?
(a) Cleans daily.
(b) Does field work.
(c) Serves during parties.
11. Who is Jamie?
(a) Anna's brother.
(b) Anna's son.
(c) Anna's husband.
(d) Anna's father.
12. Who acknowledges Anna's presence and offers their condolences at the Bradfords' dinner party?
(a) Mrs. Mompellion.
(b) Colonel Bradford.
(c) The Londoner.
(d) The rector.
13. Who is very vocal about their doubts as to the rector's plan?
(a) Mary Harding.
(b) Anys Gowdie.
(c) Elinor Mompellion.
(d) Anna's father and stepmother.
14. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
(b) A dried toad.
15. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
(a) The earl of Chatsworth.
(b) Anys Gowdie.
(c) Anna Frith.
(d) Colonel Bradford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes from London for Mr. Viccars?
2. What is Josiah doing when Anna gets to the tavern?
3. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
4. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
5. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)