|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprise does Jamie have for Anna at the cottage?
(a) A painting.
(b) A warm dinner.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A shower of rose petals.
2. Why does the name of the rector's horse cause a stir in the village?
(a) Because it means something bad.
(b) Because rectors should not have horses.
(c) Because it is the name of a pagan idol.
(d) Because the do not believe in naming horses.
3. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
(a) He watches his baby brother.
(b) He doesn't help her.
(c) He reaches inside and helps the ewe give birth.
(d) He counts the lambs for Anna.
4. What is the crowd told to do after they realize what they've done?
(a) Burn the witch.
(b) Pray that God will protect them from more witches.
(c) Flee the village.
(d) Pray that God will forgive their actions.
5. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
(a) The baby is dead.
(b) The baby is deformed.
(c) The baby is backwards.
(d) There is no baby.
6. Who does Colonel Bradford insult during this interaction with the rector?
(a) Maggie Cantwell.
(b) Anys and Mem Gowdie.
(c) Anna and her sons.
(d) Rector Mompellion and his wife.
7. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
(c) A doctor.
8. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
(b) They beat her to death.
(c) They take her to trial.
(d) They hang her from a tree.
9. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
(a) No method.
(b) Shock therapy.
10. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
(a) That she has nowhere to go and nothing to protect or hope for.
(b) That the rector is wrong.
(c) That Elizabeth Bradford has the plague.
(d) That Colonel Bradford is actually a very generous and kind man.
11. What does Elinor do when Anna agrees to go along with the rector's plan?
(a) She frowns.
(b) She strikes Anna.
(c) She begins to laugh at Anna.
(d) She gives Anna a hug.
12. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
(a) She goes there to think about Sam.
(b) She hears there is a witch in the village and runs to meet them.
(c) The rector wants to meet her there.
(d) She is tending to her sheep.
13. How long has the rector lived in the village?
(a) Two years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Five years.
(d) His whole life.
14. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
(a) Elinor Mompellion.
(b) George Viccars.
(c) Thomas Stanley.
(d) Anna Frith.
15. What evidence does Mary Hadfield have to accuse the victim of witchcraft?
(a) Mary says she whispered a curse on her son Edward.
(b) Mary says she saw the witch floating in the water.
(c) Mary says the herbs she gave her killed her son Edward.
(d) Mary says she saw the witch on her broom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mary and Anna doing at the Hadfield residence in the chapter 'Rat-Fall'?
2. How does Mr. Viccars die?
3. Who is Tom?
4. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
5. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)