|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
(a) Advice for her problems.
(b) Mutton broth.
(c) A place to stay.
(d) Money for the medicine.
2. What is the name of the rector's horse?
3. Who comes to Anna's door looking for lodging?
(a) Michael Mompellion.
(b) George Viccars.
4. What question does Anna ask herself while sitting with Maggie?
(a) Why a good person like Maggie suffers while her father wastes away in his drunkenness.
(b) Why a good person like Maggie cannot find a place to live.
(c) Why Maggie was able to save a child, but not hers.
(d) Why Maggie has to die of the plague; she always lived so healthfully.
5. What rank is Henry Bradford?
6. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
(a) Anna Frith.
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) Anys Gowdie.
(d) Michael Mompellion.
7. How did Sam die?
(a) In a riding accident.
(b) From the flu.
(c) From the plague.
(d) In a mining accident.
8. Who carries Mr. Viccars' body downstairs?
(a) The rector.
9. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
(d) A dried toad.
10. What was strange about the autumn?
(a) It was very sunny.
(b) The trees did not shed their leaves.
(c) It was unusually cloudy and dark.
(d) It was cold.
11. Why does Anna run home after the dinner party at the Bradfords?
(a) To tell her husband the news.
(b) To check something on the stove.
(c) To check on her children.
(d) To get there before the young Martin girl left.
12. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
(a) A witch.
(b) A cook for the Bradford family.
(c) George Viccars' wife.
(d) Anna's sister.
13. What happens to Tom soon after news of Edward?
(a) He becomes deaf.
(b) He dies.
(c) He catches a fever, but lives.
(d) He grows big and strong.
14. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
15. What does the rector refer to the plague as?
(a) A "venom of the blood".
(b) A "curse for the ages".
(c) A "natural selection".
(d) A "challenge of faith".
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's name?
2. What evidence does Mary Hadfield have to accuse the victim of witchcraft?
3. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
4. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
5. How does Mr. Viccars die?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)