|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
(a) That God is punishing them for their sins.
(b) That those who are well should flee to a healthy village.
(c) That there is no hope; they will all die together in the village.
(d) That the village should stay and contain the plague.
2. Why doesn't Anna scold the stable boy?
(a) She sees that his face is worn and exhausted.
(b) The stable boy is not around.
(c) The stable boy is actually her son.
(d) The stable boy starts crying.
3. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
(a) The baby is dead.
(b) The baby is backwards.
(c) The baby is deformed.
(d) There is no baby.
4. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
(a) George Viccars.
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) Anna Frith.
(d) Thomas Stanley.
5. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They hang her from a tree.
(b) They beat her to death.
(c) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
(d) They take her to trial.
6. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
(a) She is delivering a draught to Edward, who has a fever.
(b) She is going to help butcher a hog.
(c) She is delivering bread.
(d) She is going for a visit.
7. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
(a) Sam Frith.
(b) George Viccars.
(c) Lib Hancock.
(d) Michael Mompellion.
8. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
(a) He reaches inside and helps the ewe give birth.
(b) He counts the lambs for Anna.
(c) He watches his baby brother.
(d) He doesn't help her.
9. How does Mr. Viccars die?
(a) He gets terribly ill.
(b) A mining accident.
(c) Mr. Viccars doesn't die.
(d) A riding accident.
10. What evidence does Mary Hadfield have to accuse the victim of witchcraft?
(a) Mary says the herbs she gave her killed her son Edward.
(b) Mary says she whispered a curse on her son Edward.
(c) Mary says she saw the witch on her broom.
(d) Mary says she saw the witch floating in the water.
11. What did Sam do when he found out how Anna's father had treated her as a child?
(a) Went to her father's house and punched him in the face.
(b) Told Anna that children needed to be disciplined severely.
(c) Went for a long walk.
(d) Went and had a long talk with her father.
12. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
(a) George Viccars' wife.
(b) A witch.
(c) A cook for the Bradford family.
(d) Anna's sister.
13. How did Sam die?
(a) From the flu.
(b) In a mining accident.
(c) In a riding accident.
(d) From the plague.
14. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
(a) To come back later.
(b) That he will see them another time.
(c) To go to hell.
(d) To come in.
15. What was strange about the autumn?
(a) The trees did not shed their leaves.
(b) It was unusually cloudy and dark.
(c) It was cold.
(d) It was very sunny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
2. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
3. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
4. What happens to Tom soon after news of Edward?
5. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)