|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Anna and her children find in the field?
(a) A newborn lamb.
(b) A ewe in labor.
(c) A dead ewe.
(d) A dead lamb.
2. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
(b) The rector.
(c) Mrs. Mompellion.
(d) George Viccars.
3. What happens to Tom soon after news of Edward?
(a) He grows big and strong.
(b) He becomes deaf.
(c) He catches a fever, but lives.
(d) He dies.
4. How long has the rector lived in the village?
(a) Five years.
(b) His whole life.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three years.
5. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
(a) She is stricken with the plague.
(b) She is healthy, but no one will take her in.
(c) It appears she had a stroke; she is unable to control one side of her body.
(d) She is happy; she has found a cure for the plague.
6. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
7. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
(a) Because he thinks he has offended Anna with his mimic.
(b) Because he cannot control his temper.
(c) Because he isn't a very good tailor.
(d) Because he accidentally hurt Jamie.
8. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
(a) She passes out.
(b) She is unable to control herself and urinates.
(c) She begins to break out in hives.
(d) She cries uncontrollably.
9. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
(a) She is severely sick from her near-drowning and dies.
(b) She gets the plague and dies.
(c) She leaves the village and survives.
(d) She is killed because she is thought to be a witch.
10. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
(a) A horse.
(b) A witch.
(c) An idiot.
(d) Cow and grass-eater.
11. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
(a) Rotten wood.
(b) Dead rats.
12. Who acknowledges Anna's presence and offers their condolences at the Bradfords' dinner party?
(a) The rector.
(b) The Londoner.
(c) Mrs. Mompellion.
(d) Colonel Bradford.
13. What evidence does Mary Hadfield have to accuse the victim of witchcraft?
(a) Mary says she saw the witch floating in the water.
(b) Mary says she whispered a curse on her son Edward.
(c) Mary says the herbs she gave her killed her son Edward.
(d) Mary says she saw the witch on her broom.
14. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
(a) Colonel Bradford.
(b) Anys Gowdie.
(c) Anna Frith.
(d) The earl of Chatsworth.
15. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
(a) Stay and fight the disease.
(b) Warn neighboring villages.
(c) Pray for forgiveness.
(d) Flee to cleaner air.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crowd do to Anys?
2. Who does Anys live with?
3. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
4. What does Anna ask for to help during delivery of Mary's baby?
5. What does the rector refer to the plague as?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)