|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens to Maggie Cantwell?
(a) She dies from the plague and is buried.
(b) She dies from her injuries and from the stroke.
(c) She moves around the village, offering medicine and curing the plague.
(d) She ends up living in the orchard alone.
2. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
(a) She is delivering a draught to Edward, who has a fever.
(b) She is going for a visit.
(c) She is going to help butcher a hog.
(d) She is delivering bread.
3. What did George tell Anna to do with his possessions?
(a) Throw them away.
(b) Burn them all.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Bury them with him.
4. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
(a) He reaches inside and helps the ewe give birth.
(b) He watches his baby brother.
(c) He doesn't help her.
(d) He counts the lambs for Anna.
5. What does the narrator do with the apples?
(a) Bites into one.
(b) Makes a pie with them.
(c) Slices one very thin and takes it to the rector.
(d) Tramples them for cider.
6. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
(a) Baptizes the baby.
(b) Washes her clothes.
(c) Buries the stillborn child.
(d) Puts poppy in her pocket.
7. Who is Thomas Stanley?
(a) A miner.
(b) The former parson of the village parish.
(c) The justice of the peace.
(d) A well respected doctor.
8. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They beat her to death.
(b) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
(c) They hang her from a tree.
(d) They take her to trial.
9. What altercation does Anna get into with her father at the tavern?
(a) Anna accuses her father of murdering her mother.
(b) Her father insults the rector's plan; Anna retorts.
(c) Anna's father denounces her.
(d) Anna calls her father a drunken idiot.
10. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
(a) No method.
(d) Shock therapy.
11. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
(a) Because the baby is in breach position.
(b) Because she is afraid of blood.
(c) Because she watched her mother die in childbirth.
(d) Because she has never assisted in a birth before.
12. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
(a) Because there were so few people to do the picking.
(b) Because no one will deliver apples to the rectory.
(c) Because apples don't grow near there.
(d) Because they were not in season.
13. What does Mr. Viccars give to Anna?
(a) A book.
(b) A toy for Jamie.
(c) A dress he made for her.
(d) A loaf of bread.
14. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
(d) A doctor.
15. What is the crowd told to do after they realize what they've done?
(a) Burn the witch.
(b) Flee the village.
(c) Pray that God will forgive their actions.
(d) Pray that God will protect them from more witches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
2. What punishment does Anna compare the plague to?
3. Who is Sam?
4. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
5. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)