|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is very vocal about their doubts as to the rector's plan?
(a) Anys Gowdie.
(b) Anna's father and stepmother.
(c) Elinor Mompellion.
(d) Mary Harding.
2. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
(a) Because she is afraid of blood.
(b) Because the baby is in breach position.
(c) Because she watched her mother die in childbirth.
(d) Because she has never assisted in a birth before.
3. What did George tell Anna to do with his possessions?
(a) Burn them all.
(b) Bury them with him.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Throw them away.
4. What happens to Mem Gowdie after the encounter at the old mine?
(a) She leaves the village and survives.
(b) She gets the plague and dies.
(c) She is severely sick from her near-drowning and dies.
(d) She is killed because she is thought to be a witch.
5. Why does Anna run home after the dinner party at the Bradfords?
(a) To check something on the stove.
(b) To check on her children.
(c) To tell her husband the news.
(d) To get there before the young Martin girl left.
6. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
(a) She wants to pick some apples for herself.
(b) The road is dark and dangerous.
(c) The orchard is faster.
(d) She doesn't want to meet people on the road.
7. Who is Anna referring to in this sentence? "She was a shrewd woman, in spite of all her superstitious fancies."
(a) Her stepmother.
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) Mary Hadfield.
(d) Anys Gowdie.
8. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
(a) Mrs. Mompellion.
(b) The rector.
(c) George Viccars.
9. What are Mary and Anna doing at the Hadfield residence in the chapter 'Rat-Fall'?
(a) Chopping wood.
(b) Washing clothes.
(c) Butchering a hog.
10. What happens to Anna as her father puts his hands on her at the tavern?
(a) She cries uncontrollably.
(b) She passes out.
(c) She is unable to control herself and urinates.
(d) She begins to break out in hives.
11. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
(a) The rector.
(b) Mary's husband, Randoll.
12. What is George Viccars' trade?
(a) A miner.
(b) A blacksmith.
(c) A priest.
(d) A journeyman tailor.
13. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They beat her to death.
(b) They hang her from a tree.
(c) They take her to trial.
(d) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
14. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
(a) She goes there to think about Sam.
(b) The rector wants to meet her there.
(c) She is tending to her sheep.
(d) She hears there is a witch in the village and runs to meet them.
15. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
(a) A witch.
(b) George Viccars' wife.
(c) A cook for the Bradford family.
(d) Anna's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Thomas Stanley?
2. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
3. Why does the rector grab Anna's arm when she reaches for the Bible?
4. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
5. Who comes to talk to the Bradfords while they are packing?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)