|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was strange about the autumn?
(a) It was unusually cloudy and dark.
(b) The trees did not shed their leaves.
(c) It was cold.
(d) It was very sunny.
2. What condition is Maggie in when Anna leaves the tavern and sees her?
(a) She is even better; her medicine has cured a child.
(b) She is in despair; no one will let her stay with them.
(c) She has worsened; the plague has ravaged her body.
(d) She has worsened, and appears to have had another stroke.
3. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
(a) Anna is naked.
(b) She is breastfeeding.
(c) The rector should be in church.
(d) The rector is singing.
4. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
(a) Dead rats.
(b) Rotten wood.
5. What does the crowd do to Anys?
(a) They hang her.
(b) They take her to trial.
(c) They drown her.
(d) They let her go.
6. What are Mary and Anna doing at the Hadfield residence in the chapter 'Rat-Fall'?
(b) Butchering a hog.
(c) Washing clothes.
(d) Chopping wood.
7. What does Elinor do when Anna agrees to go along with the rector's plan?
(a) She begins to laugh at Anna.
(b) She gives Anna a hug.
(c) She strikes Anna.
(d) She frowns.
8. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
(a) Mutton broth.
(b) A place to stay.
(c) Money for the medicine.
(d) Advice for her problems.
9. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
(a) George Viccars.
(b) Sam Frith.
(c) Michael Mompellion.
(d) Lib Hancock.
10. Who comes to the rectory demanding to see the rector, saying that their influence in the village is not to be ignored?
(a) Elizabeth Bradford.
(c) Mrs. Mompellion.
(d) Michael Mompellion.
11. What does the Londoner tell the other diners during the Bradfords' dinner party?
(a) How to fertilize their crops better.
(b) About the current political situation.
(c) Religious news.
(d) About the plague in London.
12. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
(a) The rector.
(b) Mary's husband, Randoll.
13. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
(d) Old Mem.
14. What ultimately happens to Maggie Cantwell?
(a) She dies from the plague and is buried.
(b) She dies from her injuries and from the stroke.
(c) She moves around the village, offering medicine and curing the plague.
(d) She ends up living in the orchard alone.
15. Why does Maggie Cantwell come for Anna's help?
(a) She has come looking for George.
(b) She is accused of being a witch and needs somewhere to hide.
(c) She has traveled to the village to help Anna, and needs a place to stay.
(d) The Bradfords are leaving; she needs help getting her things.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anna run home after the dinner party at the Bradfords?
2. What realization does Anna come to while listening to the Colonel?
3. What is the name of the rector's horse?
4. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
5. How did Sam die?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)