|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the rector's horse?
2. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
(a) Anna Frith.
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) George Viccars.
(d) Thomas Stanley.
3. Who acknowledges Anna's presence and offers their condolences at the Bradfords' dinner party?
(a) Mrs. Mompellion.
(b) The Londoner.
(c) Colonel Bradford.
(d) The rector.
4. How did Sam die?
(a) From the flu.
(b) In a mining accident.
(c) From the plague.
(d) In a riding accident.
5. Who comes and stops the mob during the witch frenzy?
(a) Anna Frith.
(b) Michael Mompellion.
(c) Elinor Mompellion.
(d) Anys Gowdie.
6. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
(a) To borrow a handcart.
(b) To remember Sam.
(c) To get a drink.
(d) To see her father.
7. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
(a) She hears there is a witch in the village and runs to meet them.
(b) She is tending to her sheep.
(c) The rector wants to meet her there.
(d) She goes there to think about Sam.
8. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
(b) A doctor.
9. What relationship did Anys and George have?
(b) A romantic relationship; he wanted to marry Anys.
(c) A romantic relationship, though he was in love with Anna.
10. Who is Thomas Stanley?
(a) The former parson of the village parish.
(b) A miner.
(c) The justice of the peace.
(d) A well respected doctor.
11. Why does the name of the rector's horse cause a stir in the village?
(a) Because it is the name of a pagan idol.
(b) Because it means something bad.
(c) Because the do not believe in naming horses.
(d) Because rectors should not have horses.
12. What evidence does Mary Hadfield have to accuse the victim of witchcraft?
(a) Mary says she saw the witch on her broom.
(b) Mary says the herbs she gave her killed her son Edward.
(c) Mary says she whispered a curse on her son Edward.
(d) Mary says she saw the witch floating in the water.
13. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
(a) She is going to help butcher a hog.
(b) She is delivering a draught to Edward, who has a fever.
(c) She is delivering bread.
(d) She is going for a visit.
14. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
(b) A relative.
(c) A doctor.
15. What rank is Henry Bradford?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to rescue the first accused witch?
2. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
3. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
4. Where does Maggie Cantwell go after the Bradfords throw her out?
5. What ultimately happens to Maggie Cantwell?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)