|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Anna afraid of helping deliver Mary Daniel's baby?
(a) Because the baby is in breach position.
(b) Because she watched her mother die in childbirth.
(c) Because she has never assisted in a birth before.
(d) Because she is afraid of blood.
2. What is Josiah doing when Anna gets to the tavern?
3. What does Anna try to give Maggie to make her feel better when Maggie comes back?
(a) Advice for her problems.
(b) A place to stay.
(c) Money for the medicine.
(d) Mutton broth.
4. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
(c) Mary's husband, Randoll.
(d) The rector.
5. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
(b) A doctor.
6. Where does Maggie Cantwell go after the Bradfords throw her out?
(a) To Canterbury.
(b) With the Bradfords.
(c) To Anna's house.
(d) To Blackwell.
7. Who does Colonel Bradford insult during this interaction with the rector?
(a) Anna and her sons.
(b) Maggie Cantwell.
(c) Rector Mompellion and his wife.
(d) Anys and Mem Gowdie.
8. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
9. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
(a) Anys rubs Jamie with salve to cool him down.
(b) Anys sings to Jamie until he falls asleep.
(c) Anys gives Jamie water when he needs it.
(d) Anys performs witchcraft to cure Jamie of the plague.
10. What does Elinor do when Anna agrees to go along with the rector's plan?
(a) She gives Anna a hug.
(b) She strikes Anna.
(c) She frowns.
(d) She begins to laugh at Anna.
11. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
(a) George Viccars.
(b) Elinor Mompellion.
(c) Anna Frith.
(d) Thomas Stanley.
12. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
(a) That God is punishing them for their sins.
(b) That there is no hope; they will all die together in the village.
(c) That those who are well should flee to a healthy village.
(d) That the village should stay and contain the plague.
13. What surprise does Jamie have for Anna at the cottage?
(a) A shower of rose petals.
(b) A warm dinner.
(c) A new dress.
(d) A painting.
14. What was strange about the autumn?
(a) It was cold.
(b) The trees did not shed their leaves.
(c) It was very sunny.
(d) It was unusually cloudy and dark.
15. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
(a) She is stricken with the plague.
(b) She is healthy, but no one will take her in.
(c) She is happy; she has found a cure for the plague.
(d) It appears she had a stroke; she is unable to control one side of her body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crowd do to Anys?
2. Who does Anna talk with on her way to the Bradfords?
3. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
4. What does Anna feed the horse?
5. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)