|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator do with the apples?
(a) Makes a pie with them.
(b) Slices one very thin and takes it to the rector.
(c) Bites into one.
(d) Tramples them for cider.
2. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
(a) She is happy; she has found a cure for the plague.
(b) She is healthy, but no one will take her in.
(c) It appears she had a stroke; she is unable to control one side of her body.
(d) She is stricken with the plague.
3. Who is screaming when Anna wakes up after falling asleep with Tom?
4. What condition is Maggie in when Anna leaves the tavern and sees her?
(a) She has worsened; the plague has ravaged her body.
(b) She is in despair; no one will let her stay with them.
(c) She is even better; her medicine has cured a child.
(d) She has worsened, and appears to have had another stroke.
5. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
(a) He doesn't help her.
(b) He watches his baby brother.
(c) He reaches inside and helps the ewe give birth.
(d) He counts the lambs for Anna.
6. Why does the rector grab Anna's arm when she reaches for the Bible?
(a) Becuase she is unstable.
(b) Because she needs help getting up.
(c) Because she tries to hit him.
(d) So that the Bible will fall to the floor.
7. Why doesn't Anna scold the stable boy?
(a) The stable boy starts crying.
(b) She sees that his face is worn and exhausted.
(c) The stable boy is actually her son.
(d) The stable boy is not around.
8. What does the crowd do to Anys?
(a) They hang her.
(b) They let her go.
(c) They take her to trial.
(d) They drown her.
9. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
(a) Anna's father and stepmother.
(b) The Bradfords.
(d) Mem Gowdie.
10. Who does Anys live with?
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
11. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
(a) Anys Gowdie.
(b) Colonel Bradford.
(c) The earl of Chatsworth.
(d) Anna Frith.
12. What is the narrator's name?
13. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
(a) He goes into a coma.
(b) He dies.
(c) He only has a fever, and follows the doctor's orders.
14. What was strange about the autumn?
(a) It was cold.
(b) It was very sunny.
(c) The trees did not shed their leaves.
(d) It was unusually cloudy and dark.
15. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
(a) Anys performs witchcraft to cure Jamie of the plague.
(b) Anys rubs Jamie with salve to cool him down.
(c) Anys gives Jamie water when he needs it.
(d) Anys sings to Jamie until he falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
2. What surprise does Jamie have for Anna at the cottage?
3. What does Elinor do when Anna agrees to go along with the rector's plan?
4. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
5. Why does Anna run home after the altercation with her father?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)