|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elinor do when Anna agrees to go along with the rector's plan?
(a) She gives Anna a hug.
(b) She begins to laugh at Anna.
(c) She frowns.
(d) She strikes Anna.
2. Who comes to the rectory demanding to see the rector, saying that their influence in the village is not to be ignored?
(a) Mrs. Mompellion.
(b) Michael Mompellion.
(d) Elizabeth Bradford.
3. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
(a) Because they were not in season.
(b) Because there were so few people to do the picking.
(c) Because no one will deliver apples to the rectory.
(d) Because apples don't grow near there.
4. Who is the mob beating near the old mine?
(a) Old Mem.
5. What method is used to save the first accused witch's life?
(a) Shock therapy.
(d) No method.
6. How does Mr. Viccars die?
(a) Mr. Viccars doesn't die.
(b) A riding accident.
(c) He gets terribly ill.
(d) A mining accident.
7. Who came back with Maggie when she returned to the village?
(b) A relative.
(d) A doctor.
8. What does the narrator do with the apples?
(a) Slices one very thin and takes it to the rector.
(b) Makes a pie with them.
(c) Tramples them for cider.
(d) Bites into one.
9. Who is Maggie Cantwell?
(a) A cook for the Bradford family.
(b) George Viccars' wife.
(c) Anna's sister.
(d) A witch.
10. What did Anna and her friends call Anys when they were children?
(a) An idiot.
(b) A witch.
(c) A horse.
(d) Cow and grass-eater.
11. What does Anna do as she leaves the Daniel's house?
(a) Baptizes the baby.
(b) Washes her clothes.
(c) Puts poppy in her pocket.
(d) Buries the stillborn child.
12. What does Anna say they should not give Mary during her labor?
(b) A doctor.
13. What did Sam do when he found out how Anna's father had treated her as a child?
(a) Went for a long walk.
(b) Went to her father's house and punched him in the face.
(c) Went and had a long talk with her father.
(d) Told Anna that children needed to be disciplined severely.
14. What does the crowd do to the accused witch?
(a) They beat her to death.
(b) They tie her up and throw her in the water to see if she sinks.
(c) They take her to trial.
(d) They hang her from a tree.
15. Why is Mem on her way to the Hadfields when Anna goes to see her?
(a) She is going to help butcher a hog.
(b) She is delivering a draught to Edward, who has a fever.
(c) She is going for a visit.
(d) She is delivering bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
2. Who leaves the church unnoticed after the rector unveils his plan?
3. Who comes to talk to the Bradfords while they are packing?
4. Why does Anna happen to be in the field where the crowd gathers?
5. What punishment does Anna compare the plague to?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)