|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is George Viccars' trade?
(a) A blacksmith.
(b) A journeyman tailor.
(c) A priest.
(d) A miner.
2. Why does George become embarrassed during his conversation with Anna?
(a) Because he accidentally hurt Jamie.
(b) Because he isn't a very good tailor.
(c) Because he thinks he has offended Anna with his mimic.
(d) Because he cannot control his temper.
3. Why does Anna walk through the orchard instead of the road on her way home?
(a) She wants to pick some apples for herself.
(b) She doesn't want to meet people on the road.
(c) The orchard is faster.
(d) The road is dark and dangerous.
4. What are Mary and Anna doing at the Hadfield residence in the chapter 'Rat-Fall'?
(a) Washing clothes.
(b) Chopping wood.
(c) Butchering a hog.
5. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
(a) Pray for forgiveness.
(b) Flee to cleaner air.
(c) Warn neighboring villages.
(d) Stay and fight the disease.
6. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
(b) Rotten wood.
(d) Dead rats.
7. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
(b) The rector.
(c) Mary's husband, Randoll.
8. What does the narrator do with the apples?
(a) Bites into one.
(b) Makes a pie with them.
(c) Tramples them for cider.
(d) Slices one very thin and takes it to the rector.
9. How does Jamie help Anna in the field?
(a) He watches his baby brother.
(b) He doesn't help her.
(c) He reaches inside and helps the ewe give birth.
(d) He counts the lambs for Anna.
10. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
(a) To see her father.
(b) To get a drink.
(c) To remember Sam.
(d) To borrow a handcart.
11. What does the rector tell Anna to say to the visitor demanding to see him?
(a) To go to hell.
(b) To come back later.
(c) To come in.
(d) That he will see them another time.
12. Why doesn't any of the murderous mob get prosecuted for their actions?
(a) The justice of the peace will not come to the village for fear of the plague.
(b) The justice of the peace will not come near a village with witches in it.
(c) The justice of the peace has the plague as well.
(d) There is no one to prosecute; they have all died of the plague.
13. What is the crowd told to do after they realize what they've done?
(a) Pray that God will protect them from more witches.
(b) Pray that God will forgive their actions.
(c) Burn the witch.
(d) Flee the village.
14. Why is Anna embarrassed to see the rector when she is in the meadow with her children?
(a) The rector should be in church.
(b) She is breastfeeding.
(c) Anna is naked.
(d) The rector is singing.
15. What happens to Tom soon after news of Edward?
(a) He dies.
(b) He grows big and strong.
(c) He becomes deaf.
(d) He catches a fever, but lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment does Anna compare the plague to?
2. Why does Maggie Cantwell come for Anna's help?
3. Who is the rector walking with in the orchard?
4. Why does the carter say the narrator is lucky to get the apples that they did?
5. Who is screaming when Anna wakes up after falling asleep with Tom?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)