|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anys come to Anna's house?
(a) To pick up a dress George made for her.
(b) To give Anna some herbs.
(c) To visit Anna.
(d) To buy some milk.
2. What question does Anna ask herself while sitting with Maggie?
(a) Why Maggie was able to save a child, but not hers.
(b) Why Maggie has to die of the plague; she always lived so healthfully.
(c) Why a good person like Maggie suffers while her father wastes away in his drunkenness.
(d) Why a good person like Maggie cannot find a place to live.
3. What does Mr. Mompellion say the villages with the plague should do?
(a) Stay and fight the disease.
(b) Flee to cleaner air.
(c) Warn neighboring villages.
(d) Pray for forgiveness.
4. What does Anna do for the Bradfords?
(b) Serves during parties.
(c) Does field work.
(d) Cleans daily.
5. What is Maggie's condition when she returns to the village after leaving the Bradfords?
(a) She is happy; she has found a cure for the plague.
(b) She is stricken with the plague.
(c) It appears she had a stroke; she is unable to control one side of her body.
(d) She is healthy, but no one will take her in.
6. Who says, "We all begin as naked children, playing in the mud"?
(a) Mrs. Mompellion.
(c) George Viccars.
(d) The rector.
7. What is Josiah doing when Anna gets to the tavern?
8. What is the main argument of the rector's sermon after the scene at the old mine?
(a) That God is punishing them for their sins.
(b) That the village should stay and contain the plague.
(c) That there is no hope; they will all die together in the village.
(d) That those who are well should flee to a healthy village.
9. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
(a) He only has a fever, and follows the doctor's orders.
(b) He dies.
(c) He goes into a coma.
10. What does Anna feed the horse?
11. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
(a) To remember Sam.
(b) To get a drink.
(c) To see her father.
(d) To borrow a handcart.
12. Who is integral to the rector's plan for the village?
(a) The earl of Chatsworth.
(b) Anna Frith.
(c) Anys Gowdie.
(d) Colonel Bradford.
13. What is George Viccars' trade?
(a) A priest.
(b) A miner.
(c) A journeyman tailor.
(d) A blacksmith.
14. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
(d) A dried toad.
15. Who does Anys live with?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rector's attitude as he begins his sermon after the scene at the old mine?
2. Why does Maggie Cantwell come for Anna's help?
3. What were Edward and Jamie playing with in the wood pile?
4. Why does the rector grab Anna's arm when she reaches for the Bible?
5. Who summons Anna for help when Mary Daniel is in labor?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)