|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to rescue the first accused witch?
(a) Anys Gowdie.
(b) Anna Frith.
(c) Elinor Mompellion.
(d) Michael Mompellion.
2. What is in the silk bag that Elinor brings for Jamie?
(d) A dried toad.
3. What did George tell Anna to do with his possessions?
(a) Bury them with him.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Throw them away.
(d) Burn them all.
4. What does the rector refer to the plague as?
(a) A "venom of the blood".
(b) A "challenge of faith".
(c) A "natural selection".
(d) A "curse for the ages".
5. What relationship did Anys and George have?
(b) A romantic relationship, though he was in love with Anna.
(d) A romantic relationship; he wanted to marry Anys.
6. Who is Jamie?
(a) Anna's father.
(b) Anna's son.
(c) Anna's brother.
(d) Anna's husband.
7. What is different about the young Martin girl?
(a) She is very vivacious.
(b) She is very smart.
(c) She is very Puritan and stern.
(d) She lacks common sense.
8. What does the narrator do with the apples?
(a) Slices one very thin and takes it to the rector.
(b) Tramples them for cider.
(c) Bites into one.
(d) Makes a pie with them.
9. Why does the name of the rector's horse cause a stir in the village?
(a) Because the do not believe in naming horses.
(b) Because it means something bad.
(c) Because it is the name of a pagan idol.
(d) Because rectors should not have horses.
10. Why doesn't any of the murderous mob get prosecuted for their actions?
(a) The justice of the peace will not come to the village for fear of the plague.
(b) There is no one to prosecute; they have all died of the plague.
(c) The justice of the peace has the plague as well.
(d) The justice of the peace will not come near a village with witches in it.
11. How does Mr. Viccars die?
(a) A riding accident.
(b) Mr. Viccars doesn't die.
(c) He gets terribly ill.
(d) A mining accident.
12. What does the Londoner tell the other diners during the Bradfords' dinner party?
(a) Religious news.
(b) About the plague in London.
(c) About the current political situation.
(d) How to fertilize their crops better.
13. What happens to Edward Cooper after he plays in the wood pile?
(a) He goes into a coma.
(b) He dies.
(c) He only has a fever, and follows the doctor's orders.
14. What does Elinor do when Anna agrees to go along with the rector's plan?
(a) She frowns.
(b) She strikes Anna.
(c) She gives Anna a hug.
(d) She begins to laugh at Anna.
15. What surprise does Jamie have for Anna at the cottage?
(a) A new dress.
(b) A painting.
(c) A warm dinner.
(d) A shower of rose petals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna discover about the baby still inside Mary Daniel?
2. Why does Maggie Cantwell come for Anna's help?
3. How does Anys help Jamie when he is sick?
4. Why does Anna go to the tavern after Maggie comes back?
5. What does Anna do for the Bradfords?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)