|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Warmaker do to Quim?
2. Ender recreates Peter. What are Peter's ambitions now?
3. What is the most likely explanation for the descolada?
4. What does Ender come to find out about Jane?
5. What does Ela figure out from Qing-jao's comments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the news Jane has that warrants waking up Wang-mu?
2. Where do Quara and Ela go after they leave their mothers and what do they do while there?
3. What is Ender's response to Warmaker's actions?
4. How does Han react to his daughter's dismissal of Wang-mu?
5. What does Valentine think about Olhado and therefore ask of him?
6. What secrets does this unlock about the descolada?
7. What is the solution to this newfound problem?
8. What makes Quim so confident of his safety around the piggies?
9. What occurred when the test run was initiated for the faster-than-light speed travel?
10. What do the girls think about this program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel suggests that the most individually fulfilled people are those who both engage in significant work, but also those who choose to nurture relationships with others rather than with their work. Do you agree with this statement? What do you think it the ideal balance, or is society today evenly balanced? Why and how? Is there anyone in your life that falls into either extreme, ie a workaholic or dedicated housewife? Report on what keeps them going on a hard day.
Essay Topic 2
Valentine Wiggin goes by a pseudonym, Demosthenes. Suggest reasons why she could not write under her own name. Do you perceive these reasons as being valid to warrant deception spanning hundreds of worlds? Why or why not? Speculate on why authors may sometimes write under pseudonyms.
Essay Topic 3
In the chapter entitled "A Parting," Han's wife and Qing-jao's mother passes away. The paper offerings are all justified and accountable except for one. Qing-jao's offering of 'secrets' remains unexplained. Come up with your own explanation as to why she would offer secrets to her mother. Try to also come up with a reason why the paper offerings aren't burned. Explain the relevance in this as the book progresses.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)