|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gloriously Bright begs her father not to do what?
2. What do they ask for when they get there?
3. What do most of Novinha's children and Ender do in response to the violence?
4. What does Grego do?
5. What does Novinha forbid anyone to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Quim so confident of his safety around the piggies?
2. How do the piggies treat Warmaker after Quim's death?
3. What does Valentine think about Olhado and therefore ask of him?
4. What has Han-Fei-tsu discovered?
5. What is the solution to this newfound problem?
6. What troubles Ender about his children?
7. When Qing-jao discovers who Demosthenes is, what does she do?
8. What does Qing-jao do when Jane reveals herself as Han's namesake?
9. What is ironic about Han's relationship with his daughter in this chapter?
10. What does Wang-mu approach Qing-jao about, and what does she find out as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the will to live and the right to life. How are they different? How are they similar? How can one aid the other? How is one not possible without the other?
Essay Topic 2
This novel suggests that the most individually fulfilled people are those who both engage in significant work, but also those who choose to nurture relationships with others rather than with their work. Do you agree with this statement? What do you think it the ideal balance, or is society today evenly balanced? Why and how? Is there anyone in your life that falls into either extreme, ie a workaholic or dedicated housewife? Report on what keeps them going on a hard day.
Essay Topic 3
Orson Scott Card draws parallels between the descolada and Jane. Explain the parallels and try to lend meaning to what the authors purpose might have been for doing so. Can you note any parallels in real life? Compare them to the book.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)