|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is about to discover Demosthenes identity?
2. Who is Plikt to Valentine and Jakt?
3. How much time has passed on Earth since Valentine and Jakt left?
4. What is the promise Qing-jao has asked of her new secret-maid?
5. What does Jane know about Qing-jao?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Han and Qing-jao's paper offerings to Jiang-qing?
2. Why does Jane believe that Qing-jao will succeed at her woman's task?
3. What does she remember that gives her hope?
4. What does Qing-jao realize about the common people as a result of Wang-mu?
5. What does Han impress upon his daughter in regards to Demosthenes?
6. What is the significance of the Path to the Godspoken?
7. Why does Miro find contact with people painful?
8. Why does Gloriously Bright implicate Demosthenes?
9. How does Wang-mu feel about the penances exacted by the gods?
10. How is Jane considered to be a living being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ender's argument about free will? Do you think this is an airtight argument? Why or why not? Come up with your own argument for the origin of human nature and free will. Where did it come from? Is it possible to control? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Instead of allowing herself to be released from her obsessive compulsive disorder, Qing-jao throws herself further into it. Why is this the case? Why do you think, that even once it has been proven that the people of Path were being controlled, that Qing-jao still wants to be a part of a created religion meant to keep its population in subservience? Do you draw any parallels to our world here?
Essay Topic 3
This novel suggests that the most individually fulfilled people are those who both engage in significant work, but also those who choose to nurture relationships with others rather than with their work. Do you agree with this statement? What do you think it the ideal balance, or is society today evenly balanced? Why and how? Is there anyone in your life that falls into either extreme, ie a workaholic or dedicated housewife? Report on what keeps them going on a hard day.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)