|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the upper, or ruling, caste on Path called?
2. Who confirms Quara's data to be correct?
3. What does this peasant envy of Gloriously Bright?
4. On what does Miro give a lecture?
5. Why does her father believe she will succeed where everyone else has failed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does her addition to the catalog of voices mean to the family?
2. What is different for Miro when he returns to Lusitania?
3. What are Congress' two main reasons for decreeing the destruction of the planet, Lusitania?
4. Jane realizes that Qing-jao is getting close. How does she believe she can get her to stop?
5. What is to be noted about Valentine and her relationship to her husband, Jakt?
6. What does Han explain to his daughter about caste?
7. How does Wang-mu feel about the penances exacted by the gods?
8. What does Qing-jao realize about the common people as a result of Wang-mu?
9. What complicates this debate between Grego and Ela?
10. Why does Gloriously Bright implicate Demosthenes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does social structure and morality prevent an ordinary person from creating a bloodthirsty mob? How could the same social structure be turned on its head and turn normal, good people into bloodthirsty murderers? Where do you think this may have happened in the past? How could it be prevented in the future?
Essay Topic 2
Ender creates copies of his brother and his sister, but also of Miro while the theory of faster than light speed is being tested. Why do you think that this happens? What does this say about Ender? What do Ender's conjurations of his sister and brother reflect about the way he thinks about them?
Essay Topic 3
This novel suggests that the most individually fulfilled people are those who both engage in significant work, but also those who choose to nurture relationships with others rather than with their work. Do you agree with this statement? What do you think it the ideal balance, or is society today evenly balanced? Why and how? Is there anyone in your life that falls into either extreme, ie a workaholic or dedicated housewife? Report on what keeps them going on a hard day.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)