|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complicates a debate between Enders' family?
2. The first chapter is marred with a death. Who dies?
3. What does Jane ask Valentine?
4. Why does Miro fight with his brother, Quim?
5. What is the name of Enders' Pequino friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Han explain to his daughter about caste?
2. What does Qing-jao know about Lusitania?
3. Why does Han-Fei-Tsu make a promise he fears he cannot keep?
4. What is to be noted about Valentine and her relationship to her husband, Jakt?
5. How does Wang-mu feel about the penances exacted by the gods?
6. What is significant about Miro and Jane's conversation?
7. How is Jane considered to be a living being?
8. What does Jiang-qing believe is particularly responsible for Han's doubt of the gods?
9. What does her addition to the catalog of voices mean to the family?
10. Why does the theory of relativity pose such a problem to Valentine and Jakt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ender creates copies of his brother and his sister, but also of Miro while the theory of faster than light speed is being tested. Why do you think that this happens? What does this say about Ender? What do Ender's conjurations of his sister and brother reflect about the way he thinks about them?
Essay Topic 2
How does social structure and morality prevent an ordinary person from creating a bloodthirsty mob? How could the same social structure be turned on its head and turn normal, good people into bloodthirsty murderers? Where do you think this may have happened in the past? How could it be prevented in the future?
Essay Topic 3
This novel suggests that the most individually fulfilled people are those who both engage in significant work, but also those who choose to nurture relationships with others rather than with their work. Do you agree with this statement? What do you think it the ideal balance, or is society today evenly balanced? Why and how? Is there anyone in your life that falls into either extreme, ie a workaholic or dedicated housewife? Report on what keeps them going on a hard day.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)