|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Qing-jao come to believe is responsible for the disappearance of the Lusitania fleet?
2. The penances enacted by Han Fei-tsu at his wife's deathbed were most likely_________.
3. What disturbs Ender on Lusitania?
4. What is Valentine and Jakt's home planet?
5. What does Ender fear about the other people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Qing-jao's behavior once again leads Wang-mu to question the gods. Why?`
2. What disturbs Ender about the descolada virus?
3. Why does the theory of relativity pose such a problem to Valentine and Jakt?
4. Why does Jane reveal herself to Valentine?
5. What complicates this debate between Grego and Ela?
6. How does Miro feel upon his return to Lusitania?
7. Why is philotic technology necessary?
8. What is causing a rift between Ender's stepchildren at the house?
9. What is to be noted about Valentine and her relationship to her husband, Jakt?
10. Why does Han-Fei-Tsu make a promise he fears he cannot keep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miro and Valentine have an argument about the destruction of Lusitania. Compare and contrast the two points of view and then align yourself with one argument. What makes this argument most compelling to you? Why do you agree with it? If you agree with neither, briefly describe your argument and explain how it differs from the ones mentioned.
Essay Topic 2
Orson Scott Card draws parallels between the descolada and Jane. Explain the parallels and try to lend meaning to what the authors purpose might have been for doing so. Can you note any parallels in real life? Compare them to the book.
Essay Topic 3
Quim and Warmaker have a theology battle while Quim is subjected to the descolada virus. Name two points you found interesting in Quims' argument. Name two points you found interesting in Warmaker's argument. Do you think that Warmaker's actions were justified? Do you think it was worth breaking the treaty? Who do you believe put forth the better fight? Why?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)