|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Captain Jack move his tribe?
2. What does Captain Jack agree to do to officer Canby if he will not agree to allow the Modoc to return to their homelands?
3. What tribe abused the Modoc tribe?
4. Who launches a campaign to move the Utes all the way to the Indian territory?
5. In 1863, to where were the Nez Perces moved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the buffalo in the Plains Indian way of life. Compare and contrast the view of the importance of the buffalo in white civilization and in the Indian culture.
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of the Cherokees way of life, and the ultimate "Trail of Tears." Why do you think the whites were so brutal in dealing with the Cherokees? Fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the willingness of Indians to help struggling settlers actually led to the ultimate removal of the Indians. Give examples of specific tribes which help whites only to be removed by the whites at a later date.
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)