|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Kiowa chief counsels to stay on the reservation?
2. When captured, what does Hooker Jim offer to do?
3. In what tribe was Kintpuash a chief?
4. What does Captain Jack agree to do to officer Canby if he will not agree to allow the Modoc to return to their homelands?
5. Eventually the remaining Cheyennes are allowed to move to a reservation on what River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relate the events of at least one Indian massacre of whites, and at least one white massacre of Native Americans. In each case how do you think the killers found justification for their actions? Which side was more justified in the actions you chose? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why you believe it was or was not ultimately in the Native American's best interest to adapt to the white man's way of living? Give examples to support your position and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the basic tenets of the Ghost Dance religion. Why do you think this religion was seen as such a threat by whites? How did this religion help and/or hinder the plight of the Indians.
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)