|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the last peace conference held, before the battle of the Little Big Horn?
2. Who is sent to deal with the Kiowa Indians who are not obeying the orders given them?
3. In 1863, to where were the Nez Perces moved?
4. What does Captain Jack do to Canby?
5. Where does Sitting Bull go after Custer's Last Stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the prevailing religious beliefs of a white culture which was predominantly Christian, effected the cultural ideas that resulted in the removal of the Native American tribes?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the basic tenets of the Ghost Dance religion. Why do you think this religion was seen as such a threat by whites? How did this religion help and/or hinder the plight of the Indians.
Essay Topic 3
Given the pressure which was growing to settle the West, and given the refusal of Indian tribes to give up their ways of life, how would you have dealt with your role if you had been a military of civilian leader in the West in the mid 1800s? Choose specific events out of the book and explain how you feel the situation could have been handled in some better way, or how you feel the situation was handled in the best way possible.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)