|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Sitting Bull return to the United States?
2. What item of clothing are followers of the Ghost Dance supposed to possess?
3. Where were the Utes finally placed in 1881?
4. Who is the founder of the Ghost Dance religion?
5. In 1873 why does Captain Jack decide to fight the white soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the various discoveries of gold, on the drive to remove the Indians. Give specific examples of the effects of each of the different gold rushes in American history.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least 3 Native American leaders that you feel were the greatest of the tribal leaders. Explain your choices giving examples of their leadership and how it benefited their people.
Essay Topic 3
Given the pressure which was growing to settle the West, and given the refusal of Indian tribes to give up their ways of life, how would you have dealt with your role if you had been a military of civilian leader in the West in the mid 1800s? Choose specific events out of the book and explain how you feel the situation could have been handled in some better way, or how you feel the situation was handled in the best way possible.
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)