|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1904 what caused the death of Chief Joseph?
2. When Santana and Big Tree are arrested who negotiates their release?
3. How does Geronimo avoid being caught by US soldiers?
4. When some of the Cheyennes are allowed to go hunt buffalo, what do they find?
5. What happens to Standing Bear when he refuses to sign a treaty with the government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three white governmental leaders who truly sought to treat the Indians fairly. For each individual give a brief account of his role in dealing with the Indians and then explain why he was or was not successful in his attempts.
Essay Topic 2
Given the pressure which was growing to settle the West, and given the refusal of Indian tribes to give up their ways of life, how would you have dealt with your role if you had been a military of civilian leader in the West in the mid 1800s? Choose specific events out of the book and explain how you feel the situation could have been handled in some better way, or how you feel the situation was handled in the best way possible.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the prevailing religious beliefs of a white culture which was predominantly Christian, effected the cultural ideas that resulted in the removal of the Native American tribes?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)