|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
2. The great Cheyennes warriors are called what?
3. Cochise's tribe is offered protection at what fort?
4. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
5. What is the result of Hancock's actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Standing Bear?
2. What is unique about Meeker's approach?
3. What does Sitting Bull do that leads to several years of peace with the white man?
4. What did Roman Nose promise concerning stagecoaches in his territory?
5. What ultimately happens to Little Crow?
6. What tactic does the US Army employ to try to get the Navajo Indians to move to the reservation?
7. Briefly define Manifest Destiny?
8. Why was the way that Red Cloud traveled to Washington so ironic?
9. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
10. What significant status does Standing Bear attain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences in how whites and Indians viewed land ownership and how these two views are in conflict with each other. Explain how the Indian view help to lead to the removal of the Indians.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why you believe it was or was not ultimately in the Native American's best interest to adapt to the white man's way of living? Give examples to support your position and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Relate the events of at least one Indian massacre of whites, and at least one white massacre of Native Americans. In each case how do you think the killers found justification for their actions? Which side was more justified in the actions you chose? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)