|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event led to a widespread invasion of the West by white men?
2. Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow are Sioux Chiefs sent to talk other chiefs into doing what?
3. Roman Nose gets upset with a woman preparing his food because she does what?
4. Most of the remaining Cheyennes Indians are removed to an area along what river?
5. Some Cheyennes and Arapaho Indians move into what part of Kansas to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Major Wynkoop important in this story?
2. Who is Wovoka and why is he important?
3. Why is Hancock relieved of his command?
4. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
5. Who is Kit Carson different from other soldiers who deal with the Navajos?
6. Who is Hooker Jim?
7. Why did Parker not remain in his governmental position?
8. How does the repeated government actions establishing "permanent Indian territory" characterize a deep rooted problem with relationships between the United States and and the Indian tribes?
9. Why is Wounded Knee significant?
10. Briefly describe why Cheyennes are continually leaving the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
Essay Topic 2
Relate the events of at least one Indian massacre of whites, and at least one white massacre of Native Americans. In each case how do you think the killers found justification for their actions? Which side was more justified in the actions you chose? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the American Civil War on the movement to remove Indians to reservations? Be sure to consider the importance of the many officers who were moved out west at the close of the war.
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)