|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the chief who visited Lincoln receive as a gift?
2. Most of the Apache have moved to reservations or have left Arizona by what year?
3. What white man tries to help the Cheyennes end their conflict with the soldiers?
4. At what location are most of the Cheyennes Indians massacred?
5. Who was the great Shawnee chief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a treaty not become a reality?
2. Who is Captain Jack?
3. Who were the "Laramie Loafers"?
4. Why was the election of U. S. Grant seen as a good thing for in plight of the American Indians?
5. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
6. Briefly describe why Cheyennes are continually leaving the reservation?
7. In what way is the story of Lean Bear similar to that of Little Crow?
8. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
9. Who is Big Foot?
10. What happens at Sand Creek that has long lasting consequences?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the willingness of Indians to help struggling settlers actually led to the ultimate removal of the Indians. Give examples of specific tribes which help whites only to be removed by the whites at a later date.
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of the Cherokees way of life, and the ultimate "Trail of Tears." Why do you think the whites were so brutal in dealing with the Cherokees? Fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the prevailing religious beliefs of a white culture which was predominantly Christian, effected the cultural ideas that resulted in the removal of the Native American tribes?
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)