|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chiefs are asked to come and meet with yet another white general to talk about peace, who is this person?
2. What important document did Donehogawa write?
3. Red Cloud and Dull Knife do what with James Sawyers?
4. Who said, "When the white man comes in my country he leaves a trail of blood."?
5. Some Cheyennes and Arapaho Indians move into what part of Kansas to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
2. Briefly explain who Mangas Colorado is?
3. Briefly define Manifest Destiny?
4. Who were the "Laramie Loafers"?
5. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
6. What significant status does Standing Bear attain?
7. How does the way Red Cloud deals with the Sawyer party contrast with the intentions of General Connor?
8. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
9. Why did Parker not remain in his governmental position?
10. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you believe it was or was not ultimately in the Native American's best interest to adapt to the white man's way of living? Give examples to support your position and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
Relate the events of at least one Indian massacre of whites, and at least one white massacre of Native Americans. In each case how do you think the killers found justification for their actions? Which side was more justified in the actions you chose? Explain your answer.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)