|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow are Sioux Chiefs sent to talk other chiefs into doing what?
2. After a treaty meeting between US soldiers and Cheyennes chief's this man said, " I felt myself in the presence of superior beings:"
3. What is the result of Hancock's actions?
4. Who receives the credit for naming Native Americans "Indians?"
5. When the white men first appeared what was Cochise's attitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Captain Jack refuse to live on the reservation?
2. What ultimately happens to Little Crow?
3. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
4. Why does a treaty not become a reality?
5. What tactic does the US Army employ to try to get the Navajo Indians to move to the reservation?
6. Briefly define Manifest Destiny?
7. What gift from a white man does Little Crow keep, and who gave it to him?
8. What significant status does Standing Bear attain?
9. Why was important to get Indians such as Red Cloud, Dull Knife and Man Afraid of His Horses to sign any peace treaty?
10. How does Edward Wynkoop try to help the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did prejudice and a lack of understanding and appreciation of the Indian way of life play in the evolving policies of the white government during the years of struggle to remove the Indians so that whites could settle our country? Give examples and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How do you think the prevailing religious beliefs of a white culture which was predominantly Christian, effected the cultural ideas that resulted in the removal of the Native American tribes?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the basic tenets of the Ghost Dance religion. Why do you think this religion was seen as such a threat by whites? How did this religion help and/or hinder the plight of the Indians.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)