|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who declared that all land west of the Mississippi was Indian land?
2. When Cochise falls deathly ill, who tries to save him?
3. How long does Little Crow's War last?
4. The Sioux warriors force the soldiers to retreat to what fort?
5. The Arapahos scatter and join in with some Sioux Indians, their total number is about how many warriors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Wovoka and why is he important?
2. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
3. How do the Indians of the Plains misinterpret their success over the Bluecoats along the Powder River?
4. Briefly explain who Mangas Colorado is?
5. Why is General George Crook important in the history of Indian affairs?
6. What happened to the Nez Perces when they tried to move to Canada?
7. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
8. Who is Hooker Jim?
9. How did European ideas about land ownership and the sovereignty of the crown conflict with the Native American ideas about the use of the land?
10. Who is Standing Bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did prejudice and a lack of understanding and appreciation of the Indian way of life play in the evolving policies of the white government during the years of struggle to remove the Indians so that whites could settle our country? Give examples and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the important role the railroad played in the growing movement to remove the Indian populations.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the willingness of Indians to help struggling settlers actually led to the ultimate removal of the Indians. Give examples of specific tribes which help whites only to be removed by the whites at a later date.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)