|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who declared that all land west of the Mississippi was Indian land?
2. What event in January of 1863 causes Cochise to go back on the war path?
3. How long does Red Cloud's war last?
4. Where are most of the warring Sioux at this time?
5. What is the name of the Wampanoag chief who was killed in 1675?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hancock relieved of his command?
2. Briefly describe what caused the peace to breakdown between the Indians in the Black Hills and the whites in 1874.
3. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
4. Who is Captain Jack?
5. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
6. What ultimately happens to Little Crow?
7. Who were the "Laramie Loafers"?
8. How does Custer deal with the Kiowa Indians?
9. What turned Cochise from a peaceful Indian to a notorious renegade?
10. What happened to the Nez Perces when they tried to move to Canada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three white governmental leaders who truly sought to treat the Indians fairly. For each individual give a brief account of his role in dealing with the Indians and then explain why he was or was not successful in his attempts.
Essay Topic 2
Given the pressure which was growing to settle the West, and given the refusal of Indian tribes to give up their ways of life, how would you have dealt with your role if you had been a military of civilian leader in the West in the mid 1800s? Choose specific events out of the book and explain how you feel the situation could have been handled in some better way, or how you feel the situation was handled in the best way possible.
Essay Topic 3
Relate the events of at least one Indian massacre of whites, and at least one white massacre of Native Americans. In each case how do you think the killers found justification for their actions? Which side was more justified in the actions you chose? Explain your answer.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)