|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what President did Donehogawa serve?
2. What name did the Arapaho give to the attack of Connor's men on the Arapaho village that resulted in the slaughter of 50 Indians?
3. What Cheyennes chief tries to negotiate a truce in the increasing conflict?
4. What Navajo chief finally surrendered in 1866?
5. What fort do the Navajos attack in retaliation for troops destroying crops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Edward R. S. Canby?
2. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
3. Briefly explain who Mangas Colorado is?
4. Who is the last of the Apache Chiefs?
5. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
6. What happens to the Santee Sioux after the death of Little Crow?
7. What turned Cochise from a peaceful Indian to a notorious renegade?
8. In what way is the story of Lean Bear similar to that of Little Crow?
9. Why is Hancock relieved of his command?
10. Who is Hooker Jim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Put yourself in the mindset of Army officials and explain why it was totally unacceptable to allow an Indian tribe like the Nez Perces to move off of the reservation and into Canada.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the various discoveries of gold, on the drive to remove the Indians. Give specific examples of the effects of each of the different gold rushes in American history.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the important role the railroad played in the growing movement to remove the Indian populations.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)