|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Cheyennes chief tries to negotiate a truce in the increasing conflict?
2. What government position does Donehogawa hold?
3. One of the leaders of the Sioux warriors is a Hunkpapa chief named what?
4. Who went to visit Abraham Lincoln in Washington?
5. What famous scout gains the trust of the Navajo?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the story of Lean Bear similar to that of Little Crow?
2. What attitude does General Sheridan take towards the Indians and their way of life?
3. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
4. What does Sitting Bull do that leads to several years of peace with the white man?
5. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
6. What tactic does the US Army employ to try to get the Navajo Indians to move to the reservation?
7. Why is Hancock relieved of his command?
8. How does Edward Wynkoop try to help the Indians?
9. Who were the "Laramie Loafers"?
10. Why is General George Crook important in the history of Indian affairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the same time the US government was dealing with the issue of how to deal with the Native American population, it was also dealing with the issue of slavery and racial issues involving the black population. Compare and contrast the way the US Government dealt with the Native American issues and issues with the black population.
Essay Topic 2
Give an account of the Cherokees way of life, and the ultimate "Trail of Tears." Why do you think the whites were so brutal in dealing with the Cherokees? Fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)