|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Little Crow finally defeated?
2. What is the name of the reservation where the Navajo are forced to live?
3. Who does Roman Nose specifically refuse to meet with?
4. Name the chief who said the following statement: "The Cheyennes do not break their word."
5. Cochise dies in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Hooker Jim?
2. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
3. How does the way Red Cloud deals with the Sawyer party contrast with the intentions of General Connor?
4. Why was the election of U. S. Grant seen as a good thing for in plight of the American Indians?
5. Why does Captain Jack refuse to live on the reservation?
6. How does Custer deal with the Kiowa Indians?
7. Briefly summarize Little Crow's War.
8. Why did Parker not remain in his governmental position?
9. Why is General George Crook important in the history of Indian affairs?
10. What happens to most of the Apaches after the death of Cochise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Given the pressure which was growing to settle the West, and given the refusal of Indian tribes to give up their ways of life, how would you have dealt with your role if you had been a military of civilian leader in the West in the mid 1800s? Choose specific events out of the book and explain how you feel the situation could have been handled in some better way, or how you feel the situation was handled in the best way possible.
Essay Topic 2
Relate the events of at least one Indian massacre of whites, and at least one white massacre of Native Americans. In each case how do you think the killers found justification for their actions? Which side was more justified in the actions you chose? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)