|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the Sioux's most famous warriors during the Powder River encounters goes by what name?
2. Who went to visit Abraham Lincoln in Washington?
3. How long does Little Crow's War last?
4. When Cochise is imprisoned for something he did not do what is his reaction?
5. What is the name of a new road through Red Cloud's country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Edward R. S. Canby?
2. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
3. Who is Wovoka and why is he important?
4. Why was the election of U. S. Grant seen as a good thing for in plight of the American Indians?
5. Who is the last of the Apache Chiefs?
6. Briefly summarize Little Crow's War.
7. What significant status does Standing Bear attain?
8. What does General Hancock predict will lead to more whites intruding on Indian territory?
9. How do the Indians of the Plains misinterpret their success over the Bluecoats along the Powder River?
10. What is particularly ominous about the intentions of General Connor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the prevailing religious beliefs of a white culture which was predominantly Christian, effected the cultural ideas that resulted in the removal of the Native American tribes?
Essay Topic 2
Select three white governmental leaders who truly sought to treat the Indians fairly. For each individual give a brief account of his role in dealing with the Indians and then explain why he was or was not successful in his attempts.
Essay Topic 3
Relate the events of at least one Indian massacre of whites, and at least one white massacre of Native Americans. In each case how do you think the killers found justification for their actions? Which side was more justified in the actions you chose? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)