|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite the warning, Connor's men are able to kill about how many indians?
2. The Arapahos scatter and join in with some Sioux Indians, their total number is about how many warriors?
3. One character is chapter has a name which means "Keeper of the Western Door of the Long House of the Iroquois." Who is this?
4. Cochise dies in what year?
5. Some Cheyennes and Arapaho Indians move into what part of Kansas to hunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe why Cheyennes are continually leaving the reservation?
2. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
3. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
4. What ultimately happens to Little Crow?
5. How does Custer deal with the Kiowa Indians?
6. What happens at Sand Creek that has long lasting consequences?
7. Who is Edward R. S. Canby?
8. Why was the way that Red Cloud traveled to Washington so ironic?
9. How does the way Red Cloud deals with the Sawyer party contrast with the intentions of General Connor?
10. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the differences in how whites and Indians viewed land ownership and how these two views are in conflict with each other. Explain how the Indian view help to lead to the removal of the Indians.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the willingness of Indians to help struggling settlers actually led to the ultimate removal of the Indians. Give examples of specific tribes which help whites only to be removed by the whites at a later date.
Essay Topic 3
Given the pressure which was growing to settle the West, and given the refusal of Indian tribes to give up their ways of life, how would you have dealt with your role if you had been a military of civilian leader in the West in the mid 1800s? Choose specific events out of the book and explain how you feel the situation could have been handled in some better way, or how you feel the situation was handled in the best way possible.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)