|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What US general declared war on the Navajo and Apache?
2. Whose comment became the famous phrase, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian"?
3. What white man tries to get these Indians to sign a peace treaty?
4. The chiefs are asked to come and meet with yet another white general to talk about peace, who is this person?
5. What government position does Donehogawa hold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift from a white man does Little Crow keep, and who gave it to him?
2. What happens when some Cheyenne are allowed to leave the reservation in search of buffalo?
3. What happens in 1858 that changes the status of the treaties between the Cheyennes and the white men?
4. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
5. Explain how the Black Hills help to delay the eventual destruction of the Planes Indians.
6. How do the Indians of the Plains misinterpret their success over the Bluecoats along the Powder River?
7. What is particularly ominous about the intentions of General Connor?
8. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
9. What attitude does General Sheridan take towards the Indians and their way of life?
10. What ultimately happens to Little Crow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you believe it was or was not ultimately in the Native American's best interest to adapt to the white man's way of living? Give examples to support your position and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
At the same time the US government was dealing with the issue of how to deal with the Native American population, it was also dealing with the issue of slavery and racial issues involving the black population. Compare and contrast the way the US Government dealt with the Native American issues and issues with the black population.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the American Civil War on the movement to remove Indians to reservations? Be sure to consider the importance of the many officers who were moved out west at the close of the war.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)