|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chiefs are asked to come and meet with yet another white general to talk about peace, who is this person?
2. Whose comment became the famous phrase, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian"?
3. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
4. When Cochise is imprisoned for something he did not do what is his reaction?
5. How long does Little Crow's War last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
2. Who is Big Foot?
3. What attitude does General Sheridan take towards the Indians and their way of life?
4. Why is Hancock relieved of his command?
5. What happens in 1858 that changes the status of the treaties between the Cheyennes and the white men?
6. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
7. Why did Columbus call Native Americans "Indios"?
8. What event leads to the end of the War for the Black Hills?
9. Briefly define Manifest Destiny?
10. What does General Hancock predict will lead to more whites intruding on Indian territory?
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you believe it was or was not ultimately in the Native American's best interest to adapt to the white man's way of living? Give examples to support your position and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the basic tenets of the Ghost Dance religion. Why do you think this religion was seen as such a threat by whites? How did this religion help and/or hinder the plight of the Indians.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the American Civil War on the movement to remove Indians to reservations? Be sure to consider the importance of the many officers who were moved out west at the close of the war.
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)