|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What US general declared war on the Navajo and Apache?
2. What event brought in an unexpected influx of white men to Colorado in 1858?
3. Who said, "When the white man comes in my country he leaves a trail of blood."?
4. What is the name of the reservation where the Navajo are forced to live?
5. Who are Red Cloud, Man Afraid of his Horses, and Dull Knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was important to get Indians such as Red Cloud, Dull Knife and Man Afraid of His Horses to sign any peace treaty?
2. What ultimately happens to Little Crow?
3. What happened to the Nez Perces when they tried to move to Canada?
4. What gift from a white man does Little Crow keep, and who gave it to him?
5. What is unique about Meeker's approach?
6. Who is Kit Carson different from other soldiers who deal with the Navajos?
7. Why was the way that Red Cloud traveled to Washington so ironic?
8. What happens to the Santee Sioux after the death of Little Crow?
9. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
10. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the events surrounding the battle of the Little Big Horn brought about the closing chapter on the fate of the Plains Indians.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the willingness of Indians to help struggling settlers actually led to the ultimate removal of the Indians. Give examples of specific tribes which help whites only to be removed by the whites at a later date.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)