|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1865 the US government sends what group to the Missouri river basin?
2. What US general declared war on the Navajo and Apache?
3. What did the chief who visited Lincoln receive as a gift?
4. The Wdewkantons, the Wahpetons, the Wahpekutes, and the Sissetons make up what Indian nation?
5. What famous scout gains the trust of the Navajo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe what caused the peace to breakdown between the Indians in the Black Hills and the whites in 1874.
2. Why did Columbus call Native Americans "Indios"?
3. Why is Wounded Knee significant?
4. What happens at Sand Creek that has long lasting consequences?
5. What did Roman Nose promise concerning stagecoaches in his territory?
6. Who is Kit Carson different from other soldiers who deal with the Navajos?
7. What happens to most of the Apaches after the death of Cochise?
8. What event leads to the end of the War for the Black Hills?
9. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
10. Briefly summarize Little Crow's War.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the same time the US government was dealing with the issue of how to deal with the Native American population, it was also dealing with the issue of slavery and racial issues involving the black population. Compare and contrast the way the US Government dealt with the Native American issues and issues with the black population.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why you believe it was or was not ultimately in the Native American's best interest to adapt to the white man's way of living? Give examples to support your position and fully explain your answer.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)