|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What government position does Donehogawa hold?
2. What Cheyennes warrior warns an Arapaho village of an impending attack by Connor's men?
3. In 1865 the US government sends what group to the Missouri river basin?
4. Why is a treaty not signed at Fort Laramie?
5. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe what caused the peace to breakdown between the Indians in the Black Hills and the whites in 1874.
2. Why does a treaty not become a reality?
3. Briefly explain why Kicking Bird is important?
4. Who is Edward R. S. Canby?
5. Briefly describe the events surrounding the horse race between Chief Manuelito and the US soldier.
6. What is unique about Meeker's approach?
7. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
8. Who is the last of the Apache Chiefs?
9. What did Roman Nose promise concerning stagecoaches in his territory?
10. Why was the election of U. S. Grant seen as a good thing for in plight of the American Indians?
Essay Topic 1
At the same time the US government was dealing with the issue of how to deal with the Native American population, it was also dealing with the issue of slavery and racial issues involving the black population. Compare and contrast the way the US Government dealt with the Native American issues and issues with the black population.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the American Civil War on the movement to remove Indians to reservations? Be sure to consider the importance of the many officers who were moved out west at the close of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the various discoveries of gold, on the drive to remove the Indians. Give specific examples of the effects of each of the different gold rushes in American history.
This section contains 1,631 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)