|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was chief of the Wdewkantons?
2. One of the Sioux's most famous warriors during the Powder River encounters goes by what name?
3. What is the name of the Fort where the Santee Sioux are kept until they are finally put on a reservation?
4. What famous scout gains the trust of the Navajo?
5. The Arapahos scatter and join in with some Sioux Indians, their total number is about how many warriors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the way that Red Cloud traveled to Washington so ironic?
2. Who is Standing Bear?
3. How does Custer deal with the Kiowa Indians?
4. What happens at Sand Creek that has long lasting consequences?
5. How does the way Red Cloud deals with the Sawyer party contrast with the intentions of General Connor?
6. Briefly explain why Kicking Bird is important?
7. Explain how the Black Hills help to delay the eventual destruction of the Planes Indians.
8. Who is Big Foot?
9. Briefly describe why Cheyennes are continually leaving the reservation?
10. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Put yourself in the mindset of Army officials and explain why it was totally unacceptable to allow an Indian tribe like the Nez Perces to move off of the reservation and into Canada.
Essay Topic 2
What role did prejudice and a lack of understanding and appreciation of the Indian way of life play in the evolving policies of the white government during the years of struggle to remove the Indians so that whites could settle our country? Give examples and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)