|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Name the chief who said the following statement: "The Cheyennes do not break their word."
2. One of the Sioux's most famous warriors during the Powder River encounters goes by what name?
3. Under what President did Donehogawa serve?
4. What famous chief was leading the Navaho nation in 1860?
5. The Sioux chiefs are invited to a peace conference at what fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe why Cheyennes are continually leaving the reservation?
2. Briefly describe what caused the peace to breakdown between the Indians in the Black Hills and the whites in 1874.
3. What is particularly ominous about the intentions of General Connor?
4. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
5. Who is Kit Carson different from other soldiers who deal with the Navajos?
6. In what way is the story of Lean Bear similar to that of Little Crow?
7. Why does Captain Jack refuse to live on the reservation?
8. Who is Hooker Jim?
9. Who is Captain Jack?
10. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the basic tenets of the Ghost Dance religion. Why do you think this religion was seen as such a threat by whites? How did this religion help and/or hinder the plight of the Indians.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the prevailing religious beliefs of a white culture which was predominantly Christian, effected the cultural ideas that resulted in the removal of the Native American tribes?
This section contains 1,535 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)