|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event brought in an unexpected influx of white men to Colorado in 1858?
2. Where does Red Cloud insist his people should be allowed to trade?
3. What is the name of the Wampanoag chief who was killed in 1675?
4. Where does the author, Dee Brown say the Indians learned their savage practices?
5. The Arapahos scatter and join in with some Sioux Indians, their total number is about how many warriors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the election of U. S. Grant seen as a good thing for in plight of the American Indians?
2. Who is Kit Carson different from other soldiers who deal with the Navajos?
3. Why does Captain Jack refuse to live on the reservation?
4. How does the repeated government actions establishing "permanent Indian territory" characterize a deep rooted problem with relationships between the United States and and the Indian tribes?
5. What is unique about Meeker's approach?
6. Explain how the Black Hills help to delay the eventual destruction of the Planes Indians.
7. What happened to the Nez Perces when they tried to move to Canada?
8. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
9. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
10. How do the Indians of the Plains misinterpret their success over the Bluecoats along the Powder River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the same time the US government was dealing with the issue of how to deal with the Native American population, it was also dealing with the issue of slavery and racial issues involving the black population. Compare and contrast the way the US Government dealt with the Native American issues and issues with the black population.
Essay Topic 2
What role did prejudice and a lack of understanding and appreciation of the Indian way of life play in the evolving policies of the white government during the years of struggle to remove the Indians so that whites could settle our country? Give examples and fully explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the idea of Manifest Destiny and discuss how this idea played a part in the removal of all Indian civilizations.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)