|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most infamous battle of Red Cloud's war?
2. Where does Red Cloud insist his people should be allowed to trade?
3. What event does Manuelito challenge a US officer to compete in?
4. Who turns their backs on John Bent?
5. What did the chief who visited Lincoln receive as a gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Edward R. S. Canby?
2. What significant status does Standing Bear attain?
3. Why is life at Fort Sill so disliked by the Kiowa's?
4. Briefly explain why Kicking Bird is important?
5. Why is Wounded Knee significant?
6. How do the Indians of the Plains misinterpret their success over the Bluecoats along the Powder River?
7. Why does a treaty not become a reality?
8. What does General Hancock predict will lead to more whites intruding on Indian territory?
9. What is particularly ominous about the intentions of General Connor?
10. What tactic does the US Army employ to try to get the Navajo Indians to move to the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the events surrounding the battle of the Little Big Horn brought about the closing chapter on the fate of the Plains Indians.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of the American Civil War on the movement to remove Indians to reservations? Be sure to consider the importance of the many officers who were moved out west at the close of the war.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the willingness of Indians to help struggling settlers actually led to the ultimate removal of the Indians. Give examples of specific tribes which help whites only to be removed by the whites at a later date.
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)