|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is a treaty not signed at Fort Laramie?
(a) The indians are incited by a speech by Sitting Bull
(b) The indians learn about a road planned for Powder River
(c) The indians are tricked by General Sherman
(d) The indians are massacred in the fort
2. Why do the Sioux move into the Black Hills?
(a) There are more white settlers to kill
(b) The antelope and buffalo are more numerous
(c) They follow the soldiers into the Black Hills
(d) They are trying to get to Canada
3. After his days in government, what does Donehogawa do?
(a) Becomes as movie star
(b) Returns to the military
(c) Moves out west to live with other indians
(d) Becomes wealthy as a New York businessman
4. What ultimately happens after the Navajo discover they have been cheated?
(a) The soldiers kill all of the Navajo
(b) Chief Manuelito is hanged
(c) Chief Manuelito's prize horse is butchered
(d) The soldiers run the Navajo out of the fort
5. When the white men first appeared what was Cochise's attitude?
(a) He tried to live at peace
(b) He ran into the hill country
(c) He moved south to Mexico
(d) He immediately tried to drive them away
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of a new road through Red Cloud's country?
2. What does the term "Iron Horse" refer to?
3. One character is chapter has a name which means "Keeper of the Western Door of the Long House of the Iroquois." Who is this?
4. Who led a private expedition into the Powder River region in 1865?
5. Most of the Apache have moved to reservations or have left Arizona by what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly define Manifest Destiny?
2. What turned Cochise from a peaceful Indian to a notorious renegade?
3. What happens at Sand Creek that has long lasting consequences?
4. What did Roman Nose promise concerning stagecoaches in his territory?
5. Why was the way that Red Cloud traveled to Washington so ironic?
6. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
7. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
8. How did European ideas about land ownership and the sovereignty of the crown conflict with the Native American ideas about the use of the land?
9. What attitude does General Sheridan take towards the Indians and their way of life?
10. What significant status does Standing Bear attain?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)