|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who receives the credit for naming Native Americans "Indians?"
(a) John Cabot
(b) Andrew Jackson
(c) Marco Polo
(d) Christopher Columbus
2. How does Little Crow die?
(a) He is starved to death
(b) He is taken to Washington and killled by a firing squad
(c) He is killed while looking for food
(d) He is hanged for his war crimes
3. Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow are Sioux Chiefs sent to talk other chiefs into doing what?
(a) Moving on into Canada
(b) Surrendering to General Connor
(c) Coming to Fort Laramie
(d) Moving to the reservation
4. What is the result of Hancock's actions?
(a) He is killed
(b) He is courtmartialed
(c) He is removed from his command
(d) He is promoted
5. What fort do the Navajos attack in retaliation for troops destroying crops?
(a) Fort Apache
(b) Fort Defiance
(c) Fort Sumpter
(d) The Alamo
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a treaty not signed at Fort Laramie?
2. Roman Nose gets upset with a woman preparing his food because she does what?
3. The Navajo said of one white man, "his name reaches the sky." Who does this refer to?
4. Along what river does Red Cloud want his people to reside?
5. What Cheyennes warrior warns an Arapaho village of an impending attack by Connor's men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the last of the Apache Chiefs?
2. Why did Columbus call Native Americans "Indios"?
3. Who is Standing Bear?
4. Why did many Indian tribes side with England during the Revolutionary War and again in the War of 1812?
5. How does the way Red Cloud deals with the Sawyer party contrast with the intentions of General Connor?
6. Briefly describe the events surrounding the horse race between Chief Manuelito and the US soldier.
7. Who is Big Foot?
8. Briefly describe why Cheyennes are continually leaving the reservation?
9. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
10. What event leads to the end of the War for the Black Hills?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)