|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1865 what US General was preparing a new military initiative against the Indians near the Black Hills?
(a) General Sheridan
(b) General Connor
(c) General Sherman
(d) General Custer
2. What Cheyennes chief tries to negotiate a truce in the increasing conflict?
(a) Lean Bear
(b) Black Kettle
(c) Sitting Bull
(d) Crazy Horse
3. Why did more federal troops come to the Colorado area in the mid to late 1860s?
(a) To hunt for Confederate soldiers
(b) To build a railroad
(c) To open up more forts
(d) To hunt down renegade indians
4. What white man tries to get these Indians to sign a peace treaty?
(a) William Sheridan
(b) Kit Carson
(c) Edward Wynkoop
(d) John Bent
5. Cochise is a chief for what tribe?
(b) Nez Perce
(c) Santee Sioux
(d) Chiracahua Apache
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of the Apache have moved to reservations or have left Arizona by what year?
2. In 1871 what Apache chief is killed?
3. Cochise dies in what year?
4. What is the name of the Fort where the Santee Sioux are kept until they are finally put on a reservation?
5. How is Manuelito cheated in this event?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about Meeker's approach?
2. Why was the way that Red Cloud traveled to Washington so ironic?
3. How do the Indians of the Plains misinterpret their success over the Bluecoats along the Powder River?
4. Who is the last of the Apache Chiefs?
5. Why is General George Crook important in the history of Indian affairs?
6. Briefly explain who Mangas Colorado is?
7. How does Custer deal with the Kiowa Indians?
8. Briefly define Manifest Destiny?
9. Why was important to get Indians such as Red Cloud, Dull Knife and Man Afraid of His Horses to sign any peace treaty?
10. Who is Captain Jack?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)