|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did the Arapaho give to the attack of Connor's men on the Arapaho village that resulted in the slaughter of 50 Indians?
(a) Battle of Tongue River that happened in the Moon when Geese shed their Feathers
(b) The Battle of the Washita
(c) The Massacre at Sand Creek
(d) The Battle of the Powder River and the Little Big Horn Mountain
2. Whose comment became the famous phrase, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian"?
(a) General Sherman
(b) General Custer
(c) General Sheridan
(d) General Hancock
3. Where is Little Crow finally defeated?
(a) The Rio Grande River
(b) The Washita River
(c) The Little Big Horn River
(d) The Yellow Medicine River
4. What Navajo chief finally surrendered in 1866?
(c) Red Cloud
5. What event does Manuelito challenge a US officer to compete in?
(a) A duel
(b) A shooting match
(c) A horse race
(d) A foot race
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns their backs on John Bent?
2. What is the name of the Wampanoag chief who was killed in 1675?
3. What event brought in an unexpected influx of white men to Colorado in 1858?
4. What is the name of a new road through Red Cloud's country?
5. One of the Sioux's most famous warriors during the Powder River encounters goes by what name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the way Red Cloud deals with the Sawyer party contrast with the intentions of General Connor?
2. What gift from a white man does Little Crow keep, and who gave it to him?
3. Why does a treaty not become a reality?
4. What happens to the Santee Sioux after the death of Little Crow?
5. Briefly explain who Mangas Colorado is?
6. Why was the election of U. S. Grant seen as a good thing for in plight of the American Indians?
7. Who is the last of the Apache Chiefs?
8. What is particularly ominous about the intentions of General Connor?
9. What happens when some Cheyenne are allowed to leave the reservation in search of buffalo?
10. What does General Hancock predict will lead to more whites intruding on Indian territory?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)