|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cochise dies in what year?
2. What was the name by which many Indian tribes called Andrew Jackson?
(a) Gray Ghost
(b) Sharp Knife
(c) Old Hickory
(d) Long Hair
3. The Sioux warriors force the soldiers to retreat to what fort?
(a) Fort Defiance
(b) Fort Connor
(c) Fort Wise
(d) Fort Snelling
4. Who led a private expedition into the Powder River region in 1865?
(a) Patrick Connor
(b) John Bent
(c) James Sawyers
(d) John Clark
5. Despite the warning, Connor's men are able to kill about how many indians?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event led to a widespread invasion of the West by white men?
2. One of the Sioux's most famous warriors during the Powder River encounters goes by what name?
3. What declaration did Colorado's governor, John Evans make?
4. How long does Little Crow's War last?
5. Who receives the credit for naming Native Americans "Indians?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
2. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
3. What happened to the Nez Perces when they tried to move to Canada?
4. How did European ideas about land ownership and the sovereignty of the crown conflict with the Native American ideas about the use of the land?
5. Why is General George Crook important in the history of Indian affairs?
6. Why is life at Fort Sill so disliked by the Kiowa's?
7. What gift from a white man does Little Crow keep, and who gave it to him?
8. What event in 1855 leads to the collapse of the peace that existed between the Nez Perces and the whites?
9. Briefly describe why Cheyennes are continually leaving the reservation?
10. What happens in 1858 that changes the status of the treaties between the Cheyennes and the white men?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)