|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Cheyennes chief tries to negotiate a truce in the increasing conflict?
(a) Black Kettle
(b) Lean Bear
(c) Crazy Horse
(d) Sitting Bull
2. How long does Little Crow's War last?
(a) 1 month
(b) 1 year
(c) 1 week
(d) 6 months
3. Who are Red Cloud, Man Afraid of his Horses, and Dull Knife?
(a) Sitting Bull's most famous followers
(b) Three chiefs who betray the Sioux nation
(c) Three prominant Sioux warrior chiefs
(d) Three surviving Arapaho chiefs
4. Cochise's tribe is offered protection at what fort?
(a) Fort Wise
(b) Fort Tularosa
(c) Fort Apache
(d) Fort Defiance
5. The Wdewkantons, the Wahpetons, the Wahpekutes, and the Sissetons make up what Indian nation?
(a) the Apache
(b) The Navajo
(c) The Comanche
(d) The Santee Sioux
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1865 the US government sends what group to the Missouri river basin?
2. The Navajo said of one white man, "his name reaches the sky." Who does this refer to?
3. Most of the Apache have moved to reservations or have left Arizona by what year?
4. What white man tries to help the Cheyennes end their conflict with the soldiers?
5. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Indian agent Meeker's solution for the Ute Indians?
2. Why is General George Crook important in the history of Indian affairs?
3. Why is Wounded Knee significant?
4. How does Custer deal with the Kiowa Indians?
5. How did European ideas about land ownership and the sovereignty of the crown conflict with the Native American ideas about the use of the land?
6. Why was the election of U. S. Grant seen as a good thing for in plight of the American Indians?
7. How does the repeated government actions establishing "permanent Indian territory" characterize a deep rooted problem with relationships between the United States and and the Indian tribes?
8. What is particularly ominous about the intentions of General Connor?
9. What is the connection between Cochise and Commissioner Parker?
10. Briefly explain why Kicking Bird is important?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)