|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Indian chief always carried a flag and medals from President Lincoln because he thought that these would protect him?
(a) Red Cloud
(b) Lean Bear
(c) Sitting Bull
(d) Running Bear
2. What does the term "Iron Horse" refer to?
(a) The tenacity of the indians
(b) Nez Perce ponies
(c) President Grant
(d) The train
3. When Cochise is imprisoned for something he did not do what is his reaction?
(a) He escapes and kills three white men
(b) He escapes and moves to Mexico
(c) He has no reaction
(d) He attacks the court judge
4. What did the chief who visited Lincoln receive as a gift?
(a) A silver dollar
(c) An American flag
(d) A musket
5. Whose comment became the famous phrase, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian"?
(a) General Custer
(b) General Hancock
(c) General Sherman
(d) General Sheridan
Short Answer Questions
1. What event in January of 1863 causes Cochise to go back on the war path?
2. Along what river does Red Cloud want his people to reside?
3. What famous chief was leading the Navaho nation in 1860?
4. Name the chief who said the following statement: "The Cheyennes do not break their word."
5. Under what President did Donehogawa serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Red Cloud also travel to New York City?
2. What turned Cochise from a peaceful Indian to a notorious renegade?
3. What happens to the Santee Sioux after the death of Little Crow?
4. What tactic does the US Army employ to try to get the Navajo Indians to move to the reservation?
5. Why does Captain Jack refuse to live on the reservation?
6. Briefly explain why Kicking Bird is important?
7. Why does a treaty not become a reality?
8. Who is Wovoka and why is he important?
9. What ultimately happens to Little Crow?
10. Explain how the Black Hills help to delay the eventual destruction of the Planes Indians.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)