|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Name the chief who said the following statement: "The Cheyennes do not break their word."
(a) Chief One Eye
(b) Chief Black Kettle
(c) Chief Lean Bear
(d) Chief Sitting Bull
2. The Wdewkantons, the Wahpetons, the Wahpekutes, and the Sissetons make up what Indian nation?
(a) the Apache
(b) The Navajo
(c) The Comanche
(d) The Santee Sioux
3. What do the white men call these 5 Sioux chiefs?
(a) The Friends of Lincoln
(b) The Outlaws of Cheyenne
(c) The Sand Creek survivors
(d) The Laramie Loafers
4. Where does Red Cloud deliver an address on Indian rights?
(b) St. Louis
(d) New York City
5. Where are most of the warring Sioux at this time?
(a) Along the Colorado river
(b) Along the Mississippi river
(c) Along the Powder river
(d) Along the Arkansas river
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did more federal troops come to the Colorado area in the mid to late 1860s?
2. Why is a treaty not signed at Fort Laramie?
3. Who was the great Shawnee chief?
4. Most of the remaining Cheyennes Indians are removed to an area along what river?
5. Where does Roman Nose die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hancock relieved of his command?
2. What is the most significant event that follows the failed treaty conference?
3. Why does a treaty not become a reality?
4. Briefly explain why Kicking Bird is important?
5. Why did Parker not remain in his governmental position?
6. Why was the way that Red Cloud traveled to Washington so ironic?
7. Who were the "Laramie Loafers"?
8. Briefly describe what caused the peace to breakdown between the Indians in the Black Hills and the whites in 1874.
9. Who is Wovoka and why is he important?
10. Why is General George Crook important in the history of Indian affairs?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)