|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who turns their backs on John Bent?
(a) The US soldiers
(b) The Cheyenne nation
(c) His Indian wife
(d) His own sons
2. Where is Little Crow finally defeated?
(a) The Washita River
(b) The Yellow Medicine River
(c) The Rio Grande River
(d) The Little Big Horn River
3. What is Manifest Destiny?
(a) The idea that Native Americans are the
(b) The idea that Native Americans would conquer the white man
(c) The idea that the white man was destined to control from sea to shining sea
(d) The idea that Mexico would one day be part of the US
4. What US general declared war on the Navajo and Apache?
(a) General Custer
(b) General Carleton
(c) General Sheridan
(d) General Sherman
5. Some Cheyennes and Arapaho Indians move into what part of Kansas to hunt?
(a) Smoky Hill
(b) Black Hills
(c) Powder River
(d) Little Big Horn Mountain
6. When the white men first appeared what was Cochise's attitude?
(a) He moved south to Mexico
(b) He ran into the hill country
(c) He tried to live at peace
(d) He immediately tried to drive them away
7. After a treaty meeting between US soldiers and Cheyennes chief's this man said, " I felt myself in the presence of superior beings:"
(a) Chief Lean Bear
(b) Major Wynkoop
(c) Chief One Eye
(d) General Sheridan
8. Who is Cochise's father in law?
(b) Mangas Colorado
(c) Baja California
9. One of the leaders of the Sioux warriors is a Hunkpapa chief named what?
(a) Dull Knife
(b) Sitting Bull
(c) Red Cloud
(d) Little Horse
10. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
(a) The Grand Canyon
(b) Death Valley
(c) The Chiracahua Mountains
(d) The Rio Grande basin
11. Roman Nose gets upset with a woman preparing his food because she does what?
(a) Makes the food too hot
(b) Uses a metal spoon
(c) Uses white man's food
(d) Fails to use wild buffalo
12. What does the term "Iron Horse" refer to?
(a) President Grant
(b) The tenacity of the indians
(c) The train
(d) Nez Perce ponies
13. One of the Sioux's most famous warriors during the Powder River encounters goes by what name?
(a) Little Horse
(b) Roman Nose
(c) Chief Joseph
(d) Captain Jack
14. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
(a) They want to go to their sacred grounds
(b) They leave to attack settlers
(c) they don't have enough food
(d) They leave to attack other Indians
15. What is the name of the Wampanoag chief who was killed in 1675?
(a) Captain Jack
(c) King Phillip
(d) Red Cloud
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous scout gains the trust of the Navajo?
2. What is the name of the Fort where the Santee Sioux are kept until they are finally put on a reservation?
3. What Navajo chief finally surrendered in 1866?
4. Which tribe listed below was not living in the Southeast region of the US when their land was taken?
5. Despite the warning, Connor's men are able to kill about how many indians?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)