|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event brought in an unexpected influx of white men to Colorado in 1858?
(a) Opening the Denver mint
(b) California gold rush
(c) Pike's Peak gold rush
(d) Buffalo hunting
2. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
(a) The Rio Grande basin
(b) Death Valley
(c) The Chiracahua Mountains
(d) The Grand Canyon
3. What is the name of the reservation where the Navajo are forced to live?
(a) Fort Defiance
(b) Qualla Indian Boundary
(c) Bosque Redondo
4. Who is Cochise's father in law?
(a) Baja California
(c) Mangas Colorado
5. Most of the Apache have moved to reservations or have left Arizona by what year?
6. During what war was Tecumseh killed?
(a) War of 1812
(b) 100 Years War
(c) Revolutionary War
(d) French and Indian War
7. Why is a treaty not signed at Fort Laramie?
(a) The indians are massacred in the fort
(b) The indians learn about a road planned for Powder River
(c) The indians are incited by a speech by Sitting Bull
(d) The indians are tricked by General Sherman
8. Where does the author, Dee Brown say the Indians learned their savage practices?
(a) From Spanish explorers
(b) From English settlers
(c) From tribes to the north
(d) Ffrom the white soldiers
9. In 1865 the US government sends what group to the Missouri river basin?
(a) A peace commission
(b) A congressional task force
(c) General Sherman's army
(d) New soldiers fresh from the Civil War
10. What is Manifest Destiny?
(a) The idea that the white man was destined to control from sea to shining sea
(b) The idea that Mexico would one day be part of the US
(c) The idea that Native Americans are the
(d) The idea that Native Americans would conquer the white man
11. The chiefs are asked to come and meet with yet another white general to talk about peace, who is this person?
(a) William Tecumseh Sherman
(b) William Henry Harrison
(c) George Armstrong Custer
(d) Winfield Scott Hancock
12. Where is Little Crow finally defeated?
(a) The Washita River
(b) The Yellow Medicine River
(c) The Little Big Horn River
(d) The Rio Grande River
13. The great Cheyennes warriors are called what?
(a) Ghost warriors
(b) Dog soldiers
(c) Storm troopers
(d) Friends of the Great Spirit
14. Cochise dies in what year?
15. Who are Red Cloud, Man Afraid of his Horses, and Dull Knife?
(a) Three surviving Arapaho chiefs
(b) Three chiefs who betray the Sioux nation
(c) Three prominant Sioux warrior chiefs
(d) Sitting Bull's most famous followers
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1871 what Apache chief is killed?
2. What is the name of the Wampanoag chief who was killed in 1675?
3. Most of the remaining Cheyennes Indians are removed to an area along what river?
4. Where are most of the warring Sioux at this time?
5. One of the leaders of the Sioux warriors is a Hunkpapa chief named what?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)