|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1865 the US government sends what group to the Missouri river basin?
(a) A congressional task force
(b) New soldiers fresh from the Civil War
(c) A peace commission
(d) General Sherman's army
2. What Cheyennes warrior warns an Arapaho village of an impending attack by Connor's men?
(a) Standing Deer
(b) Little Tree
(c) Dull Knife
(d) Little Horse
3. At what location are most of the Cheyennes Indians massacred?
(a) Red Rock
(b) Little Big Horn
(c) Sand Creek
4. Who receives the credit for naming Native Americans "Indians?"
(a) Marco Polo
(b) Christopher Columbus
(c) Andrew Jackson
(d) John Cabot
5. What do the white men call these 5 Sioux chiefs?
(a) The Outlaws of Cheyenne
(b) The Friends of Lincoln
(c) The Laramie Loafers
(d) The Sand Creek survivors
6. During what war was Tecumseh killed?
(a) 100 Years War
(b) Revolutionary War
(c) French and Indian War
(d) War of 1812
7. Red Cloud and Dull Knife do what with James Sawyers?
(a) Kill and mutilate him
(b) Sign a temporary treaty
(c) Make him an honorary member of their tribe
(d) Run him out of their territory
8. Where does Red Cloud insist his people should be allowed to trade?
(a) Fort Connor
(b) Fort Laramie
(c) Fort Snelling
(d) Fort Wise
9. Who are Red Cloud, Man Afraid of his Horses, and Dull Knife?
(a) Three chiefs who betray the Sioux nation
(b) Sitting Bull's most famous followers
(c) Three prominant Sioux warrior chiefs
(d) Three surviving Arapaho chiefs
10. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
(a) The Chiracahua Mountains
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) Death Valley
(d) The Rio Grande basin
11. What declaration did Colorado's governor, John Evans make?
(a) It was legal for any soldier to kill any indian
(b) It was legal for any white man to kill any hostile indian
(c) It was illegal for any indian to kill any white man
(d) It was illegal for any indian to reside in Colorado
12. One character is chapter has a name which means "Keeper of the Western Door of the Long House of the Iroquois." Who is this?
(a) Winfield Scott
(b) US Grant
(c) William Sherman
(d) Ely Parker
13. Who declared that all land west of the Mississippi was Indian land?
(a) John Quincy Adams
(b) Andrew Johnson
(c) John Adams
(d) Andrew Jackson
14. What white man tries to get these Indians to sign a peace treaty?
(a) Edward Wynkoop
(b) William Sheridan
(c) John Bent
(d) Kit Carson
15. Whose comment became the famous phrase, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian"?
(a) General Sheridan
(b) General Sherman
(c) General Hancock
(d) General Custer
Short Answer Questions
1. What Indian chief always carried a flag and medals from President Lincoln because he thought that these would protect him?
2. What is the name of the Fort where the Santee Sioux are kept until they are finally put on a reservation?
3. Some Cheyennes and Arapaho Indians move into what part of Kansas to hunt?
4. What fort is involved in Little Crow's War?
5. What event brought in an unexpected influx of white men to Colorado in 1858?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)