|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are most of the warring Sioux at this time?
(a) Along the Powder river
(b) Along the Arkansas river
(c) Along the Mississippi river
(d) Along the Colorado river
2. Who receives the credit for naming Native Americans "Indians?"
(a) Marco Polo
(b) Christopher Columbus
(c) John Cabot
(d) Andrew Jackson
3. Name the chief who said the following statement: "The Cheyennes do not break their word."
(a) Chief One Eye
(b) Chief Black Kettle
(c) Chief Lean Bear
(d) Chief Sitting Bull
4. Who turns their backs on John Bent?
(a) The Cheyenne nation
(b) His Indian wife
(c) His own sons
(d) The US soldiers
5. Why did more federal troops come to the Colorado area in the mid to late 1860s?
(a) To open up more forts
(b) To build a railroad
(c) To hunt down renegade indians
(d) To hunt for Confederate soldiers
6. When the white men first appeared what was Cochise's attitude?
(a) He moved south to Mexico
(b) He tried to live at peace
(c) He immediately tried to drive them away
(d) He ran into the hill country
7. What white man tries to help the Cheyennes end their conflict with the soldiers?
(a) John Bent
(b) George Custer
(c) Kit Carson
(d) William Sherman
8. The Wdewkantons, the Wahpetons, the Wahpekutes, and the Sissetons make up what Indian nation?
(a) The Comanche
(b) the Apache
(c) The Navajo
(d) The Santee Sioux
9. Donehogawa's "Christian name"?
(a) Ely Samuel Parker
(b) William Tecumseh Sherman
(c) Brigham Young
(d) John Michael Smith
10. Who is Cochise's father in law?
(b) Baja California
(d) Mangas Colorado
11. What event does Manuelito challenge a US officer to compete in?
(a) A foot race
(b) A shooting match
(c) A duel
(d) A horse race
12. Why do the Sioux move into the Black Hills?
(a) They follow the soldiers into the Black Hills
(b) There are more white settlers to kill
(c) The antelope and buffalo are more numerous
(d) They are trying to get to Canada
13. What is the most infamous battle of Red Cloud's war?
(a) The Fetterman massacre
(b) The Connor massacre
(c) The Donnor massacre
(d) The Washita massacre
14. What ultimately happens after the Navajo discover they have been cheated?
(a) Chief Manuelito is hanged
(b) Chief Manuelito's prize horse is butchered
(c) The soldiers run the Navajo out of the fort
(d) The soldiers kill all of the Navajo
15. Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow are Sioux Chiefs sent to talk other chiefs into doing what?
(a) Surrendering to General Connor
(b) Coming to Fort Laramie
(c) Moving on into Canada
(d) Moving to the reservation
Short Answer Questions
1. Cochise's tribe is offered protection at what fort?
2. How does Little Crow die?
3. The Sioux chiefs are invited to a peace conference at what fort?
4. Most of the remaining Cheyennes Indians are removed to an area along what river?
5. What did the chief who visited Lincoln receive as a gift?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)