|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous chief was leading the Navaho nation in 1860?
(c) Crazy Horse
2. Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow are Sioux Chiefs sent to talk other chiefs into doing what?
(a) Surrendering to General Connor
(b) Moving to the reservation
(c) Moving on into Canada
(d) Coming to Fort Laramie
3. Why do Donehogawa's critics think he should be removed from office?
(a) He is too pro-indian
(b) He is too close to General Grant
(c) He is too militaristic
(d) He was too hard on General Hancock
4. When Cochise falls deathly ill, who tries to save him?
(a) A US Army Surgeon
(b) A Doctor from Reno, Nevada
(c) A Mormon missionary
(d) An Apache medicine man
5. Who said, "When the white man comes in my country he leaves a trail of blood."?
(a) Sitting Bull
(b) Crazy Horse
(c) Red Cloud
(d) Roman Nose
6. What event in January of 1863 causes Cochise to go back on the war path?
(a) The capture and death of Mangus Colorado
(b) He is recaptured and imprisoned
(c) The murder of his wife
(d) He is lied to at a treaty conference
7. What Indian chief always carried a flag and medals from President Lincoln because he thought that these would protect him?
(a) Running Bear
(b) Sitting Bull
(c) Red Cloud
(d) Lean Bear
8. Where does the author, Dee Brown say the Indians learned their savage practices?
(a) From English settlers
(b) From Spanish explorers
(c) From tribes to the north
(d) Ffrom the white soldiers
9. What did the relocation of the Cherokee to Oklahoma become known as?
(a) Buncombe Turnpike
(b) Chisholm Trail
(c) Sorrowful Trail
(d) Trail of Tears
10. What important document did Donehogawa write?
(a) The treaty with the Sioux
(b) The surrender terms at Appomattox
(c) The treaty that ended the Mexican-American War
(d) The treaty that ended Black Hawk's war
11. Who was the great Shawnee chief?
(c) Crazy Horse
12. Why do the Sioux move into the Black Hills?
(a) There are more white settlers to kill
(b) They follow the soldiers into the Black Hills
(c) The antelope and buffalo are more numerous
(d) They are trying to get to Canada
13. What is Manifest Destiny?
(a) The idea that Mexico would one day be part of the US
(b) The idea that Native Americans are the
(c) The idea that the white man was destined to control from sea to shining sea
(d) The idea that Native Americans would conquer the white man
14. When Roman Nose refuses to return to talk to Hancock what does Hancock do?
(a) Atttacks unsuspecting villages
(b) Declares war on all indians
(c) Hangs several chiefs
(d) Goes back to Washington
15. What event led to a widespread invasion of the West by white men?
(a) Lewis and Clark Expedition
(b) Cattle Drives
(c) California Gold rush
(d) Oklahoma Claims
Short Answer Questions
1. The Arapahos scatter and join in with some Sioux Indians, their total number is about how many warriors?
2. What declaration did Colorado's governor, John Evans make?
3. What white man tries to get these Indians to sign a peace treaty?
4. What is the most infamous battle of Red Cloud's war?
5. The great Cheyennes warriors are called what?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)