|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Along what river does Red Cloud want his people to reside?
(a) Raccoon river
(b) Colorado river
(c) Platte river
(d) Missouri river
2. When the white men first appeared what was Cochise's attitude?
(a) He tried to live at peace
(b) He immediately tried to drive them away
(c) He ran into the hill country
(d) He moved south to Mexico
3. Who went to visit Abraham Lincoln in Washington?
(a) Little Crow
(b) Red Cloud
(c) Sitting Bull
(d) Crazy Horse
4. What large group of Indians lived about a thousand miles north of the Navajo?
(a) The Santee Sioux
(b) The Comanche
(c) The Cheyenne
(d) the Ute
5. Who does Roman Nose specifically refuse to meet with?
(a) General Sheridan
(b) General Sherman
(c) General Taylor
(d) General Custer
6. What Cheyennes warrior warns an Arapaho village of an impending attack by Connor's men?
(a) Little Tree
(b) Dull Knife
(c) Little Horse
(d) Standing Deer
7. Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow are Sioux Chiefs sent to talk other chiefs into doing what?
(a) Moving on into Canada
(b) Coming to Fort Laramie
(c) Moving to the reservation
(d) Surrendering to General Connor
8. Why did more federal troops come to the Colorado area in the mid to late 1860s?
(a) To hunt down renegade indians
(b) To open up more forts
(c) To hunt for Confederate soldiers
(d) To build a railroad
9. Who declared that all land west of the Mississippi was Indian land?
(a) John Adams
(b) Andrew Johnson
(c) Andrew Jackson
(d) John Quincy Adams
10. What was the name by which many Indian tribes called Andrew Jackson?
(a) Gray Ghost
(b) Sharp Knife
(c) Long Hair
(d) Old Hickory
11. When Roman Nose refuses to return to talk to Hancock what does Hancock do?
(a) Goes back to Washington
(b) Atttacks unsuspecting villages
(c) Hangs several chiefs
(d) Declares war on all indians
12. What is Manifest Destiny?
(a) The idea that Native Americans are the
(b) The idea that Native Americans would conquer the white man
(c) The idea that Mexico would one day be part of the US
(d) The idea that the white man was destined to control from sea to shining sea
13. At what location are most of the Cheyennes Indians massacred?
(a) Sand Creek
(b) Little Big Horn
(d) Red Rock
14. What name did the Arapaho give to the attack of Connor's men on the Arapaho village that resulted in the slaughter of 50 Indians?
(a) The Battle of the Washita
(b) The Massacre at Sand Creek
(c) Battle of Tongue River that happened in the Moon when Geese shed their Feathers
(d) The Battle of the Powder River and the Little Big Horn Mountain
15. Cochise's tribe is offered protection at what fort?
(a) Fort Apache
(b) Fort Defiance
(c) Fort Wise
(d) Fort Tularosa
Short Answer Questions
1. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
2. How is Manuelito cheated in this event?
3. Why is a treaty not signed at Fort Laramie?
4. Where does the author, Dee Brown say the Indians learned their savage practices?
5. What US general declared war on the Navajo and Apache?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)