|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
(a) They leave to attack other Indians
(b) they don't have enough food
(c) They leave to attack settlers
(d) They want to go to their sacred grounds
2. What Indian chief always carried a flag and medals from President Lincoln because he thought that these would protect him?
(a) Red Cloud
(b) Sitting Bull
(c) Running Bear
(d) Lean Bear
3. Who declared that all land west of the Mississippi was Indian land?
(a) John Quincy Adams
(b) John Adams
(c) Andrew Johnson
(d) Andrew Jackson
4. Whose comment became the famous phrase, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian"?
(a) General Custer
(b) General Hancock
(c) General Sheridan
(d) General Sherman
5. What ultimately happens after the Navajo discover they have been cheated?
(a) The soldiers run the Navajo out of the fort
(b) The soldiers kill all of the Navajo
(c) Chief Manuelito is hanged
(d) Chief Manuelito's prize horse is butchered
6. Where does Red Cloud insist his people should be allowed to trade?
(a) Fort Laramie
(b) Fort Wise
(c) Fort Snelling
(d) Fort Connor
7. When the white men first appeared what was Cochise's attitude?
(a) He immediately tried to drive them away
(b) He tried to live at peace
(c) He ran into the hill country
(d) He moved south to Mexico
8. What fort do the Navajos attack in retaliation for troops destroying crops?
(a) Fort Apache
(b) Fort Defiance
(c) The Alamo
(d) Fort Sumpter
9. What was the name by which many Indian tribes called Andrew Jackson?
(a) Long Hair
(b) Gray Ghost
(c) Old Hickory
(d) Sharp Knife
10. Under what President did Donehogawa serve?
11. What US general declared war on the Navajo and Apache?
(a) General Carleton
(b) General Custer
(c) General Sherman
(d) General Sheridan
12. What famous scout gains the trust of the Navajo?
(a) Bat Masterson
(b) Meriweather Lewis
(c) Kit Carson
13. Why do Donehogawa's critics think he should be removed from office?
(a) He is too militaristic
(b) He is too pro-indian
(c) He was too hard on General Hancock
(d) He is too close to General Grant
14. The Wdewkantons, the Wahpetons, the Wahpekutes, and the Sissetons make up what Indian nation?
(a) the Apache
(b) The Navajo
(c) The Santee Sioux
(d) The Comanche
15. The Sioux warriors force the soldiers to retreat to what fort?
(a) Fort Snelling
(b) Fort Connor
(c) Fort Wise
(d) Fort Defiance
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Fort where the Santee Sioux are kept until they are finally put on a reservation?
2. What event does Manuelito challenge a US officer to compete in?
3. What event in January of 1863 causes Cochise to go back on the war path?
4. Who was the great Shawnee chief?
5. The great Cheyennes warriors are called what?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)