|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the reservation where the Navajo are forced to live?
(a) Bosque Redondo
(c) Qualla Indian Boundary
(d) Fort Defiance
2. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
(a) Death Valley
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) The Rio Grande basin
(d) The Chiracahua Mountains
3. What event does Manuelito challenge a US officer to compete in?
(a) A horse race
(b) A shooting match
(c) A foot race
(d) A duel
4. What was the name by which many Indian tribes called Andrew Jackson?
(a) Gray Ghost
(b) Long Hair
(c) Sharp Knife
(d) Old Hickory
5. Whose comment became the famous phrase, "The only good Indian is a dead Indian"?
(a) General Custer
(b) General Hancock
(c) General Sherman
(d) General Sheridan
6. In 1871 what Apache chief is killed?
(b) Mangas Colorado
7. What large group of Indians lived about a thousand miles north of the Navajo?
(a) the Ute
(b) The Cheyenne
(c) The Comanche
(d) The Santee Sioux
8. In 1868 what does Red Cloud do?
(a) Agrees to a peace treaty
(b) Attacks Fort Laramie
(c) Moves into Canada
(d) Leaves the Powder River territory
9. Who does Roman Nose specifically refuse to meet with?
(a) General Sheridan
(b) General Taylor
(c) General Custer
(d) General Sherman
10. One character is chapter has a name which means "Keeper of the Western Door of the Long House of the Iroquois." Who is this?
(a) US Grant
(b) William Sherman
(c) Ely Parker
(d) Winfield Scott
11. Red Cloud and Dull Knife do what with James Sawyers?
(a) Run him out of their territory
(b) Sign a temporary treaty
(c) Kill and mutilate him
(d) Make him an honorary member of their tribe
12. Where does Red Cloud deliver an address on Indian rights?
(a) New York City
(b) St. Louis
13. What Cheyennes chief tries to negotiate a truce in the increasing conflict?
(a) Crazy Horse
(b) Black Kettle
(c) Lean Bear
(d) Sitting Bull
14. News of what event angers Roman Nose?
(a) The establishment of a new fort
(b) The assasination of Abraham Lincoln
(c) The establishment of a cattle drive
(d) The establishment of a new stagecoach line
15. What do the white men call these 5 Sioux chiefs?
(a) The Laramie Loafers
(b) The Sand Creek survivors
(c) The Friends of Lincoln
(d) The Outlaws of Cheyenne
Short Answer Questions
1. What US general declared war on the Navajo and Apache?
2. What is Manifest Destiny?
3. How long does Little Crow's War last?
4. Where does Red Cloud insist his people should be allowed to trade?
5. What name did the Arapaho give to the attack of Connor's men on the Arapaho village that resulted in the slaughter of 50 Indians?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)