|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a treaty meeting between US soldiers and Cheyennes chief's this man said, " I felt myself in the presence of superior beings:"
(a) Major Wynkoop
(b) Chief Lean Bear
(c) Chief One Eye
(d) General Sheridan
2. In 1868 what does Red Cloud do?
(a) Leaves the Powder River territory
(b) Moves into Canada
(c) Agrees to a peace treaty
(d) Attacks Fort Laramie
3. Big Mouth, Big Ribs, Eagle Foot, Whirlwind, and Little Crow are Sioux Chiefs sent to talk other chiefs into doing what?
(a) Moving to the reservation
(b) Surrendering to General Connor
(c) Coming to Fort Laramie
(d) Moving on into Canada
4. What do the white men call these 5 Sioux chiefs?
(a) The Outlaws of Cheyenne
(b) The Laramie Loafers
(c) The Sand Creek survivors
(d) The Friends of Lincoln
5. When Roman Nose refuses to return to talk to Hancock what does Hancock do?
(a) Declares war on all indians
(b) Goes back to Washington
(c) Hangs several chiefs
(d) Atttacks unsuspecting villages
6. News of what event angers Roman Nose?
(a) The establishment of a new fort
(b) The establishment of a new stagecoach line
(c) The establishment of a cattle drive
(d) The assasination of Abraham Lincoln
7. Who led a private expedition into the Powder River region in 1865?
(a) John Clark
(b) James Sawyers
(c) John Bent
(d) Patrick Connor
8. What event does Manuelito challenge a US officer to compete in?
(a) A horse race
(b) A duel
(c) A shooting match
(d) A foot race
9. What 2 chiefs does Donehogawa invite to Washington?
(a) Chief Joseph and Captain Jack
(b) Red Cloud and Spotted Tail
(c) Roman Nose and Little Horse
(d) Dull Knife and Sitting Bull
10. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
(a) They leave to attack settlers
(b) They leave to attack other Indians
(c) They want to go to their sacred grounds
(d) they don't have enough food
11. What large group of Indians lived about a thousand miles north of the Navajo?
(a) the Ute
(b) The Comanche
(c) The Cheyenne
(d) The Santee Sioux
12. Cochise's tribe is offered protection at what fort?
(a) Fort Tularosa
(b) Fort Wise
(c) Fort Apache
(d) Fort Defiance
13. Where does Red Cloud deliver an address on Indian rights?
(b) St. Louis
(d) New York City
14. Red Cloud and Dull Knife do what with James Sawyers?
(a) Run him out of their territory
(b) Make him an honorary member of their tribe
(c) Sign a temporary treaty
(d) Kill and mutilate him
15. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
(a) The Rio Grande basin
(b) Death Valley
(c) The Grand Canyon
(d) The Chiracahua Mountains
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Sioux move into the Black Hills?
2. How long does Red Cloud's war last?
3. Who was chief for the Ottawa tribe?
4. What important document did Donehogawa write?
5. Where is Little Crow finally defeated?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)