|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens after the Navajo discover they have been cheated?
(a) Chief Manuelito is hanged
(b) The soldiers kill all of the Navajo
(c) The soldiers run the Navajo out of the fort
(d) Chief Manuelito's prize horse is butchered
2. How does Little Crow die?
(a) He is taken to Washington and killled by a firing squad
(b) He is killed while looking for food
(c) He is starved to death
(d) He is hanged for his war crimes
3. Why did more federal troops come to the Colorado area in the mid to late 1860s?
(a) To hunt down renegade indians
(b) To build a railroad
(c) To hunt for Confederate soldiers
(d) To open up more forts
4. Name the chief who said the following statement: "The Cheyennes do not break their word."
(a) Chief Sitting Bull
(b) Chief One Eye
(c) Chief Lean Bear
(d) Chief Black Kettle
5. Who was chief for the Ottawa tribe?
(a) Crazy Horse
6. After a treaty meeting between US soldiers and Cheyennes chief's this man said, " I felt myself in the presence of superior beings:"
(a) Chief Lean Bear
(b) Major Wynkoop
(c) General Sheridan
(d) Chief One Eye
7. What is the most infamous battle of Red Cloud's war?
(a) The Donnor massacre
(b) The Fetterman massacre
(c) The Connor massacre
(d) The Washita massacre
8. Who went to visit Abraham Lincoln in Washington?
(a) Sitting Bull
(b) Crazy Horse
(c) Little Crow
(d) Red Cloud
9. What causes the Santee Sioux to want to leave the reservation?
(a) They want to go to their sacred grounds
(b) they don't have enough food
(c) They leave to attack settlers
(d) They leave to attack other Indians
10. What name did the Arapaho give to the attack of Connor's men on the Arapaho village that resulted in the slaughter of 50 Indians?
(a) The Battle of the Powder River and the Little Big Horn Mountain
(b) Battle of Tongue River that happened in the Moon when Geese shed their Feathers
(c) The Battle of the Washita
(d) The Massacre at Sand Creek
11. Under what President did Donehogawa serve?
12. Where does the author, Dee Brown say the Indians learned their savage practices?
(a) From English settlers
(b) Ffrom the white soldiers
(c) From Spanish explorers
(d) From tribes to the north
13. What Indian chief always carried a flag and medals from President Lincoln because he thought that these would protect him?
(a) Red Cloud
(b) Lean Bear
(c) Running Bear
(d) Sitting Bull
14. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
(a) The Rio Grande basin
(b) The Chiracahua Mountains
(c) Death Valley
(d) The Grand Canyon
15. Who led a private expedition into the Powder River region in 1865?
(a) John Bent
(b) Patrick Connor
(c) James Sawyers
(d) John Clark
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said, "When the white man comes in my country he leaves a trail of blood."?
2. What famous scout gains the trust of the Navajo?
3. What event brought in an unexpected influx of white men to Colorado in 1858?
4. What 2 chiefs does Donehogawa invite to Washington?
5. What is the name of the Fort where the Santee Sioux are kept until they are finally put on a reservation?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)