|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous chief was leading the Navaho nation in 1860?
(a) Crazy Horse
2. The Navajo said of one white man, "his name reaches the sky." Who does this refer to?
(a) William Sheridan
(b) George Custer
(c) William Sherman
(d) Kit Carson
3. Some Cheyennes and Arapaho Indians move into what part of Kansas to hunt?
(a) Little Big Horn Mountain
(b) Black Hills
(c) Smoky Hill
(d) Powder River
4. One of the Sioux's most famous warriors during the Powder River encounters goes by what name?
(a) Chief Joseph
(b) Captain Jack
(c) Roman Nose
(d) Little Horse
5. What Navajo chief finally surrendered in 1866?
(a) Red Cloud
6. Who receives the credit for naming Native Americans "Indians?"
(a) Andrew Jackson
(b) John Cabot
(c) Christopher Columbus
(d) Marco Polo
7. What did the relocation of the Cherokee to Oklahoma become known as?
(a) Sorrowful Trail
(b) Chisholm Trail
(c) Trail of Tears
(d) Buncombe Turnpike
8. Who are Red Cloud, Man Afraid of his Horses, and Dull Knife?
(a) Three chiefs who betray the Sioux nation
(b) Sitting Bull's most famous followers
(c) Three prominant Sioux warrior chiefs
(d) Three surviving Arapaho chiefs
9. What Cheyennes warrior warns an Arapaho village of an impending attack by Connor's men?
(a) Standing Deer
(b) Dull Knife
(c) Little Horse
(d) Little Tree
10. Cochise's tribe is allowed to go live in what area?
(a) Death Valley
(b) The Grand Canyon
(c) The Rio Grande basin
(d) The Chiracahua Mountains
11. Who is Cochise's father in law?
(a) Baja California
(d) Mangas Colorado
12. During what war was Tecumseh killed?
(a) 100 Years War
(b) French and Indian War
(c) War of 1812
(d) Revolutionary War
13. Where does the author, Dee Brown say the Indians learned their savage practices?
(a) From Spanish explorers
(b) Ffrom the white soldiers
(c) From English settlers
(d) From tribes to the north
14. What fort do the Navajos attack in retaliation for troops destroying crops?
(a) The Alamo
(b) Fort Sumpter
(c) Fort Defiance
(d) Fort Apache
15. Who was chief for the Ottawa tribe?
(d) Crazy Horse
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is a treaty not signed at Fort Laramie?
2. When Roman Nose refuses to return to talk to Hancock what does Hancock do?
3. Red Cloud and Dull Knife do what with James Sawyers?
4. What is the name of the Fort where the Santee Sioux are kept until they are finally put on a reservation?
5. What is the name of a new road through Red Cloud's country?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)