|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Garp dress while attending the first feminist funeral?
2. Whose phone calls continually wake up Garp (and Helen) in the middle of the night?
3. Who calls Garp in the middle of the night while his family is in Europe?
4. What country is Michael Milton obsessed with?
5. What kind of bed does Mrs. Ralph have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gender roles and gender identity are very present in _The World According to Garp_. Choose threemain characters from the text and discuss how their non-traditional gender roles break cultural norms and stereotypes. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The character of John Wolf plays a key role within the story. Is he a "good" character or a "bad" character? Does he help Jenny or hurt her? Does he help the Garp family or hurt them? Make sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Technical Sergent Garp, while immobile and unable to speak in a hospital bed, plays a key role in the novel. Describe three literary techniques Irving uses to help develop the character of Technical Sergent Garp. Making sure to use citations and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)