|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Garp in Garp's dream?
2. What is the color of the clothes of Mrs. Ralph's guest who won't leave?
3. Where does Garp take his sons when he learns of Helen's affair?
4. How does Garp feel about what happens to Duncan in his dream?
5. Where do the Garps go to recover after their car accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
_The World According to Garp_ takes place in several settings. Choose three of the novel's settings and discuss how Irving uses them to contribute to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In _The World According to Garp_, motherhood is discussed both directly and indirectly. Choose three characters from the novel who are mothers (or who assume the role of mother) and discuss 1) what shape their motherhood takes, 2) to whom they are mothers, and 3) what Irving may be saying about motherhood through their character.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the chapter titles in _The World According to Garp_ seem silly or disconnected. Choose four chapter titles and address why Irving chose the titles he did, what the titles mean, and how important each of the titles is within the larger scope of the text.
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)