|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Michael Milton buy?
2. What image does Garp see of Jenny when he and his family are flying to Europe before his book's release?
3. What color is the car that Hope is kidnapped in?
4. Who is the monstrous rapist in _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
5. What is Garp wearing when he heads out in the middle of the night to check on Duncan at Ralph's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two major female characters within _The World According to Garp_. What are their differences? What are their similarities? Make sure to use multiple citations from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Even though _The World According to Garp_ deals with serious issues, it sometimes is considered to have a comical or lighthearted tone. Write an essay that (1) identifies what you think the tone of the novel is and (2) uses at least four examples/citations from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
The majority of characters in _The World According to Garp_ are minor characters that only appear for a chapter or two. Choose three minor characters and discuss what literary devices Irving uses to define each character despite his or her brief appearance in the story.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)