|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the cat continue to do to the dog in the story Garp tells Walt?
2. When Garp goes to Ralph's house to check on Duncan, what does Garp find him doing?
3. What happens to Walt as a result of the car accident in his driveway?
4. Who does Helen end up having an affair with?
5. What happens to Duncan as a result of the car accident in his driveway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could _The World According to Garp_ be considered a story that could actually happen in "real" life? Argue either for or against this possibility, making sure to use specific examples from the text that you believe really could (or could not) happen.
Essay Topic 2
The character of John Wolf plays a key role within the story. Is he a "good" character or a "bad" character? Does he help Jenny or hurt her? Does he help the Garp family or hurt them? Make sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Even though _The World According to Garp_ deals with serious issues, it sometimes is considered to have a comical or lighthearted tone. Write an essay that (1) identifies what you think the tone of the novel is and (2) uses at least four examples/citations from the text that support your position.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)