|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lesson does Walt take from the story Garp tells him?
2. After he sneaks over to check on Duncan, how does Garp actually enter Mrs. Ralph's house?
3. What is Garp wearing when he heads out in the middle of the night to check on Duncan at Ralph's house?
4. How does Garp have to communicate after his car accident?
5. Who is the monstrous rapist in _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last line of _The World According to Garp_ is very famous. Discuss 1) What you think the last line means? 2) How does the last line relate to the book? and 3) why might the line be so well-known?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Irving gives multiple characters various problems with speech. Choose three characters from the book and discuss 1) what their speech impediment is, 2) what the cause behind the speech impediment is, and 3) how Irving uses that character's impediment to advance the novel or make a statement about that person's character.
Essay Topic 3
Even though _The World According to Garp_ deals with serious issues, it sometimes is considered to have a comical or lighthearted tone. Write an essay that (1) identifies what you think the tone of the novel is and (2) uses at least four examples/citations from the text that support your position.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)