|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Ralph wearing when Garp first sees her, after Garp sneaks over to her house to check on Duncan?
2. After Garp enters Mrs. Ralph's house for the first time, what does she ask Garp to do?
3. What does Garp do at Mrs. Ralph's house in an effort to pass the time until he can take Duncan home?
4. Whose phone calls continually wake up Garp (and Helen) in the middle of the night?
5. What does Garp hit one night when driving into his driveway with the engine and lights off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last line of _The World According to Garp_ is very famous. Discuss 1) What you think the last line means? 2) How does the last line relate to the book? and 3) why might the line be so well-known?
Essay Topic 2
The character of John Wolf plays a key role within the story. Is he a "good" character or a "bad" character? Does he help Jenny or hurt her? Does he help the Garp family or hurt them? Make sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Although _The World According to Garp_ has many unusual plot developments, many, if not most, of them are foreshadowed. Give three examples, using specific citations from the text, where a major event is foreshadowed in the novel.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)