|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose phone calls continually wake up Garp (and Helen) in the middle of the night?
2. Who does Helen end up having an affair with?
3. Where does Garp take his sons when he learns of Helen's affair?
4. What has happened to Mr. Bensenhaver's wife?
5. How does Garp learn of his wife's affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Irving gives multiple characters various problems with speech. Choose three characters from the book and discuss 1) what their speech impediment is, 2) what the cause behind the speech impediment is, and 3) how Irving uses that character's impediment to advance the novel or make a statement about that person's character.
Essay Topic 2
The character of John Wolf plays a key role within the story. Is he a "good" character or a "bad" character? Does he help Jenny or hurt her? Does he help the Garp family or hurt them? Make sure to use at least three examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two major female characters within _The World According to Garp_. What are their differences? What are their similarities? Make sure to use multiple citations from the text.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)