|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being buried on the same day as Ernie Holm?
2. What color is the car that Hope is kidnapped in?
3. During her affair with a student, where do Helen's bruises come from?
4. What moves so that the dog ends up being closer to the cat in the story Garp tells Walt?
5. Whose student paper is Helen caught reading one night when Garp realizes she's not in bed?
Essay Topic 1
Pretend you are Jenny Fields. Write an essay arguing your opinion of lust, making sure to provide at least three concrete examples that support your argument(s).
Essay Topic 2
_The World According to Garp_ is a very complicated novel. Write an essay addressing what you believe to be the main theme, i.e., the one that rises above all the other themes. Make sure to use examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
In _The World According to Garp_, motherhood is discussed both directly and indirectly. Choose three characters from the novel who are mothers (or who assume the role of mother) and discuss 1) what shape their motherhood takes, 2) to whom they are mothers, and 3) what Irving may be saying about motherhood through their character.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)