|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During her affair with a student, where do Helen's bruises come from?
2. After he sneaks over to check on Duncan, how does Garp actually enter Mrs. Ralph's house?
3. In Garp's dream, what does Duncan need to do?
4. Why is Garp outraged over a book cover John Wolf designs?
5. What does Garp hit one night when driving into his driveway with the engine and lights off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although _The World According to Garp_ has many unusual plot developments, many, if not most, of them are foreshadowed. Give three examples, using specific citations from the text, where a major event is foreshadowed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
At several points in the novel, characters communicate by writing short notes. Choose three instances where a character has to use notes to communicate and discuss 1) why that character must use notes, 2) what the notes symbolize, and 3) what Irving accomplishes by using the little notes as a literary device.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are Jenny Fields. Write an essay arguing your opinion of lust, making sure to provide at least three concrete examples that support your argument(s).
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)