|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Garp have to communicate after his car accident?
2. When Garp goes to Ralph's house to check on Duncan, what does Garp find him doing?
3. What is the name of Mrs. Ralph's dog?
4. What does Garp hit one night when driving into his driveway with the engine and lights off?
5. Who is being buried on the same day as Ernie Holm?
Essay Topic 1
Technical Sergent Garp, while immobile and unable to speak in a hospital bed, plays a key role in the novel. Describe three literary techniques Irving uses to help develop the character of Technical Sergent Garp. Making sure to use citations and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of the Ellen Jamesians? Are they noble, self-sacrificing figures (as Jenny originally believes) or are they ridiculous, attention-hungry followers (as Garp believes)? Support your position by using three examples of the Ellen Jamesians and what they do from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are Jenny Fields. Write an essay arguing your opinion of lust, making sure to provide at least three concrete examples that support your argument(s).
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)