|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Duncan is spending the night with Ralph, Garp has a dream about Duncan. Where are Garp and Duncan in that dream?
2. Where does Garp take his sons when he learns of Helen's affair?
3. How does Garp have to communicate after his car accident?
4. What physical feature does Garp make fun of Michael Milton for?
5. In Garp's dream, what does Duncan need to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
_The World According to Garp_ takes place in several settings. Choose three of the novel's settings and discuss how Irving uses them to contribute to the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Although _The World According to Garp_ has many unusual plot developments, many, if not most, of them are foreshadowed. Give three examples, using specific citations from the text, where a major event is foreshadowed in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Jenny always wears her nurses uniform. Choose three major points in the novel and describe what the uniform means at that point in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)