|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of the Garps during their recovery?
2. What color is the car that Hope is kidnapped in?
3. What does Duncan see while looking down at the street from John Wolf's office?
4. After Garp enters Mrs. Ralph's house for the first time, what does she ask Garp to do?
5. What final act prompts Garp to take Duncan home from Mrs. Ralph's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though _The World According to Garp_ deals with serious issues, it sometimes is considered to have a comical or lighthearted tone. Write an essay that (1) identifies what you think the tone of the novel is and (2) uses at least four examples/citations from the text that support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Gender roles and gender identity are very present in _The World According to Garp_. Choose threemain characters from the text and discuss how their non-traditional gender roles break cultural norms and stereotypes. Make sure to use specific examples and quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Technical Sergent Garp, while immobile and unable to speak in a hospital bed, plays a key role in the novel. Describe three literary techniques Irving uses to help develop the character of Technical Sergent Garp. Making sure to use citations and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)