|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What image does Garp see of Jenny when he and his family are flying to Europe before his book's release?
2. Who tries to run Garp over while he is jogging down the road?
3. After Garp enters Mrs. Ralph's house for the first time, what does she ask Garp to do?
4. Whose phone calls continually wake up Garp (and Helen) in the middle of the night?
5. Who takes care of the Garps during their recovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of the Ellen Jamesians? Are they noble, self-sacrificing figures (as Jenny originally believes) or are they ridiculous, attention-hungry followers (as Garp believes)? Support your position by using three examples of the Ellen Jamesians and what they do from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In _The World According to Garp_, there are stories within the story. Who is the author of these short stories, T. S. Garp or John Irving? Provide at least three reasons that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Even though _The World According to Garp_ deals with serious issues, it sometimes is considered to have a comical or lighthearted tone. Write an essay that (1) identifies what you think the tone of the novel is and (2) uses at least four examples/citations from the text that support your position.
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)