|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Garp in Garp's dream?
2. Who takes care of the Garps during their recovery?
3. Who does Garp meet on a plane after the first feminist funeral?
4. In Garp's dream, what does Duncan need to do?
5. What does Garp hit one night when driving into his driveway with the engine and lights off?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jenny always wears her nurses uniform. Choose three major points in the novel and describe what the uniform means at that point in the novel. Use quotations from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
What is your opinion of the Ellen Jamesians? Are they noble, self-sacrificing figures (as Jenny originally believes) or are they ridiculous, attention-hungry followers (as Garp believes)? Support your position by using three examples of the Ellen Jamesians and what they do from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Technical Sergent Garp, while immobile and unable to speak in a hospital bed, plays a key role in the novel. Describe three literary techniques Irving uses to help develop the character of Technical Sergent Garp. Making sure to use citations and examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)