|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Mr. Bensenhaver's wife?
2. Who does Jenny name executor of her estate?
3. How does Garp feel about what happens to Duncan in his dream?
4. Why is Garp outraged over a book cover John Wolf designs?
5. What moves so that the dog ends up being closer to the cat in the story Garp tells Walt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At several points in the novel, characters communicate by writing short notes. Choose three instances where a character has to use notes to communicate and discuss 1) why that character must use notes, 2) what the notes symbolize, and 3) what Irving accomplishes by using the little notes as a literary device.
Essay Topic 2
The majority of characters in _The World According to Garp_ are minor characters that only appear for a chapter or two. Choose three minor characters and discuss what literary devices Irving uses to define each character despite his or her brief appearance in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the chapter titles in _The World According to Garp_ seem silly or disconnected. Choose four chapter titles and address why Irving chose the titles he did, what the titles mean, and how important each of the titles is within the larger scope of the text.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)