|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Garp meet on a plane after the first feminist funeral?
2. How does Garp have to communicate after his car accident?
3. What final act prompts Garp to take Duncan home from Mrs. Ralph's house?
4. Why is Garp outraged over a book cover John Wolf designs?
5. What type of business does Mrs. Truckenmiller claim to operate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Technical Sergent Garp, while immobile and unable to speak in a hospital bed, plays a key role in the novel. Describe three literary techniques Irving uses to help develop the character of Technical Sergent Garp. Making sure to use citations and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Is tension a positive thing, a negative thing, or both a positive and a negative thing in _The World According to Garp_? Make sure to use at least three examples and citations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
In _The World According to Garp_, there are stories within the story. Who is the author of these short stories, T. S. Garp or John Irving? Provide at least three reasons that support your position.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)