|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is being buried on the same day as Ernie Holm?
2. After he sneaks over to check on Duncan, how does Garp actually enter Mrs. Ralph's house?
3. What does the dog in Garp's story to Walt want more than anything?
4. What is the dog is Garp's story to Walt chained to?
5. How does Garp feel about what happens to Duncan in his dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
_The World According to Garp_ is a very complicated novel. Write an essay addressing what you believe to be the main theme, i.e., the one that rises above all the other themes. Make sure to use examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
_The World According to Garp_ takes place in several settings. Choose three of the novel's settings and discuss how Irving uses them to contribute to the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In _The World According to Garp_, there are stories within the story. Who is the author of these short stories, T. S. Garp or John Irving? Provide at least three reasons that support your position.
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)