|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose student paper is Helen caught reading one night when Garp realizes she's not in bed?
2. How does Garp feel about what happens to Duncan in his dream?
3. Who calls Garp in the middle of the night while his family is in Europe?
4. Who is the monstrous rapist in _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
5. What horrible event is the center of _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
Essay Topic 1
The majority of characters in _The World According to Garp_ are minor characters that only appear for a chapter or two. Choose three minor characters and discuss what literary devices Irving uses to define each character despite his or her brief appearance in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the chapter titles in _The World According to Garp_ seem silly or disconnected. Choose four chapter titles and address why Irving chose the titles he did, what the titles mean, and how important each of the titles is within the larger scope of the text.
Essay Topic 3
Pretend you are Jenny Fields. Write an essay arguing your opinion of lust, making sure to provide at least three concrete examples that support your argument(s).
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)