|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Duncan see while looking down at the street from John Wolf's office?
2. After Garp enters Mrs. Ralph's house for the first time, what does she ask Garp to do?
3. What medical aid does Jenny take Duncan to get?
4. Why does John Wolf not want to publish Garp's novel _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
5. What is the title of the first essay Ellen James writes that is published?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last line of _The World According to Garp_ is very famous. Discuss 1) What you think the last line means? 2) How does the last line relate to the book? and 3) why might the line be so well-known?
Essay Topic 2
In _The World According to Garp_, there are stories within the story. Who is the author of these short stories, T. S. Garp or John Irving? Provide at least three reasons that support your position.
Essay Topic 3
The majority of characters in _The World According to Garp_ are minor characters that only appear for a chapter or two. Choose three minor characters and discuss what literary devices Irving uses to define each character despite his or her brief appearance in the story.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)