|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Helen and Garp's second child?
2. What reason does Alice give Garp about why she can't write?
3. What language does Jenny learn while living in Vienna?
4. What is the name of Mrs. Ralph's husband?
5. What year is it when Jenny and Garp leave the country after Garp's graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Garp and Helen decide are to blame for the car accident?
2. Why does Jenny take so many classes at Steering?
3. Why do Garp and Helen decide to have a third child?
4. Why is Jenny nervous when Garp plays with the Percy children?
5. What part needs to be fixed on the Garps' car?
6. What is the ultimate goal behind Garp writing his first short story?
7. How does Garp feel about his mother's gift of money so he can get a prostitute?
8. What does Jenny's insistence that she continue to wear her nurse's uniform symbolize?
9. Where does the chapter title of _The World According to Bensenhaver_ come from?
10. Why does Garp bond so well with Ernie Holm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is tension a positive thing, a negative thing, or both a positive and a negative thing in _The World According to Garp_? Make sure to use at least three examples and citations from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the chapter titles in _The World According to Garp_ seem silly or disconnected. Choose four chapter titles and address why Irving chose the titles he did, what the titles mean, and how important each of the titles is within the larger scope of the text.
Essay Topic 3
At several points in the novel, characters communicate by writing short notes. Choose three instances where a character has to use notes to communicate and discuss 1) why that character must use notes, 2) what the notes symbolize, and 3) what Irving accomplishes by using the little notes as a literary device.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)