|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Duncan get to his friend's house?
2. What is Jenny unable to advise Garp about at Steering?
3. What body part does Garp lose to Bonkers?
4. What form of revenge does Garp get on Bonkers?
5. What is Garp's reactions when he learns what Charlotte means when she refers to her "purse" being taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the ultimate goal behind Garp writing his first short story?
2. Why does Garp bond so well with Ernie Holm?
3. What do Garp's dreams about his children foreshadow?
4. What does Garp's dream (when Duncan is at Ralph's house) symbolize?
5. What does Garp think is the source of Helen's bruises (while she is having an affair)?
6. How does Roberta Muldoon enter Garp's life?
7. What does Jenny's attack on the man in the movie theater show the reader about her character?
8. Why do Garp and Helen decide to have a third child?
9. How does John Wolf respond to Jenny's book?
10. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although _The World According to Garp_ has many unusual plot developments, many, if not most, of them are foreshadowed. Give three examples, using specific citations from the text, where a major event is foreshadowed in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The majority of characters in _The World According to Garp_ are minor characters that only appear for a chapter or two. Choose three minor characters and discuss what literary devices Irving uses to define each character despite his or her brief appearance in the story.
Essay Topic 3
_The World According to Garp_ is a very complicated novel. Write an essay addressing what you believe to be the main theme, i.e., the one that rises above all the other themes. Make sure to use examples to support your position.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)