|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Jenny learn while living in Vienna?
2. What reason does Alice give Garp about why she can't write?
3. What gift does Jenny receive as a thank you for her 15 years of service to Steering?
4. How does Charlotte die?
5. Who is involved in Garp's rescue from the Steering gutter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Garp react to the Ellen Jamesians after Ellen's article is published?
2. Why does Jenny take so many classes at Steering?
3. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
4. What is Garp's second novel about?
5. What does Helen think about Garp's short story to Walt (about the dog and the cat)?
6. Where do Helen and Garp get most of their money during the first several years of their marriage?
7. How does Ernie Holm die?
8. Why does Helen react the way she does when she sees Jenny for the first time?
9. What does Jenny's insistence that she continue to wear her nurse's uniform symbolize?
10. What does Garp not approve of in Mrs. Ralph's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your opinion of the Ellen Jamesians? Are they noble, self-sacrificing figures (as Jenny originally believes) or are they ridiculous, attention-hungry followers (as Garp believes)? Support your position by using three examples of the Ellen Jamesians and what they do from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Pretend you are Jenny Fields. Write an essay arguing your opinion of lust, making sure to provide at least three concrete examples that support your argument(s).
Essay Topic 3
The last line of _The World According to Garp_ is very famous. Discuss 1) What you think the last line means? 2) How does the last line relate to the book? and 3) why might the line be so well-known?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)