|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sad figure does Garp come across one day while jogging in the park?
(a) A very young girl who has been raped.
(b) A funeral ceremony.
(c) A dead bear.
(d) A dead dog.
2. Who is the author of the book Mrs. Ralph has in her car?
(c) John Irving.
3. Who is Harrison Fletcher?
(a) A student of Helen's.
(b) Helen's colleague at the university where they teach.
(c) Helen's boss at the university.
(d) Helen's long-lost brother.
4. Who pays for Charlotte's medical care?
(b) The state.
5. Who is Alice Fletcher?
(a) One of Duncan's babysitters.
(b) The person who cleans the Garps' house.
(c) A writer and the wife of Harrison Fletcher.
(d) One of Helen's colleagues at the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charlotte?
2. What sport does Garp eventually end up playing at Steering?
3. What does Mr. Tinch encourage Garp to do?
4. What is the name of the hospital Jenny Fields first works in?
5. What does Garp not like in some sports?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why won't Helen read _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
2. What does Garp think is the source of Helen's bruises (while she is having an affair)?
3. Where does the chapter title of _The World According to Bensenhaver_ come from?
4. When they are first introduced in the novel, what do the Ellen Jamesians symbolize?
5. Who do Garp and Helen decide are to blame for the car accident?
6. How do Garp and Cushie respond when they hear Fat Stew bellowing for Cushie's return?
7. Why is Jenny so interested in speaking with the prostitutes?
8. Why is Jenny transferred out of the obstetrics ward?
9. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
10. Why does Jenny leave Wellesley?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)