|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Garp's older sister?
(d) Garp doesn't have any siblings.
2. What is the name of Steering's wrestling coach?
(a) Milton Milbridge.
(b) Ernie Holm.
(c) Stewart Percy.
(d) Jenny Fields.
3. When the novel begins, what year is it?
(d) We never learn what year it is.
4. When she is young, who does Helen say she wants to marry?
(a) A professional wrestler.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A scientist.
(d) A writer.
5. Why do the Fletchers eventually move away from the Garps?
(a) Because Harrison gets a better job somewhere else.
(b) Because Alice unexpectedly becomes a very famous author.
(c) Because Alice becomes very ill and needs better doctors.
(d) Because Harrison is caught having an affair with a student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend's house does Duncan like to spend the night at?
2. What item of Mrs. Ralph's clothing does Garp likely ruin when he catches her speeding?
3. What body part does Garp lose to Bonkers?
4. What is the name of Helen and Garp's second child?
5. Who is the author of the book Mrs. Ralph has in her car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helen's inability to attend Steering symbolize?
2. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
3. What does Helen think about Garp's short story to Walt (about the dog and the cat)?
4. What plan does Helen come up with for helping Harrison and Alice's marriage?
5. What part needs to be fixed on the Garps' car?
6. What does Helen think happens when Garp spends so long at Mrs. Ralph's house?
7. Garp dies at the age of 33. Why is this number important to know in literature?
8. What does the name of the chapter entitled _In the City Where Marcus Aurelius Died_ refer to?
9. Why is Jenny so interested in speaking with the prostitutes?
10. What does Garp's dream (when Duncan is at Ralph's house) symbolize?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)