|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sport does Garp eventually end up playing at Steering?
(d) Track and field.
2. Who are the Ellen Jamesians?
(a) People who donate to the Ellen James scholarship fund.
(b) People who attend school at Ellen James University.
(c) People who get surgery to look like Ellen James.
(d) Women who also cut their tongues out.
3. Who does Garp have his first extra-marital affair with?
(a) One of his housecleaners.
(b) One of his son's babysitters.
(d) His doctor.
4. Why do the Fletchers eventually move away from the Garps?
(a) Because Alice unexpectedly becomes a very famous author.
(b) Because Alice becomes very ill and needs better doctors.
(c) Because Harrison is caught having an affair with a student.
(d) Because Harrison gets a better job somewhere else.
5. How does Jenny respond to Garp's crush on Helen?
(a) She threatens Helen.
(b) She writes Garp a long letter.
(c) She writes Helen a long letter.
(d) She attempts to keep them apart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jenny pay a prostitute for?
2. When was Steering established?
3. When Garp is very young, how do the students at Steering treat him?
4. How do Jenny's parents respond to her decision to drop out of college?
5. What is the name of Jenny's publisher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Garp and Helen decide to have a third child?
2. What does Garp not approve of in Mrs. Ralph's life?
3. What is Garp's second novel about?
4. Why does Jenny take so many classes at Steering?
5. What is the ultimate goal behind Garp writing his first short story?
6. What does Garp's dream (when Duncan is at Ralph's house) symbolize?
7. What is the Under Toad?
8. When they are first introduced in the novel, what do the Ellen Jamesians symbolize?
9. Why is Garp worried about Duncan spending the night at Ralph's house?
10. What part needs to be fixed on the Garps' car?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)