|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Tinch?
(a) The former dean.
(b) Garp's uncle.
(c) Garp's English teacher.
(d) Helen's father.
2. Where does Garp loose his virginity?
(a) In the kitchens.
(b) In his room.
(c) At the infirmary.
(d) In the library.
3. What happens to Helen's glasses every time she watches a wrestling match?
(a) They get broken.
(b) She loses them.
(c) Helen never wears glasses.
(d) They fog up.
4. What is Jenny unable to advise Garp about at Steering?
(a) The male teachers.
(b) Who to pick as a roommate.
(c) Sports teams.
(d) Which teachers will let him cheat.
5. What is the only word Technical Sergent Garp is able to say when he's admitted to the hospital?
(b) Thank you.
(c) He can't say anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Jenny receive as a thank you for her 15 years of service to Steering?
2. What means of transportation does Garp not like to take while in Vienna?
3. What is Steering?
4. What object does Garp accidentally drop on Mrs. Ralph after he catches her speeding?
5. When Garp is very young, how do the students at Steering treat him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenny's attack on the man in the movie theater show the reader about her character?
2. What does Helen wish about the way Garp treats their children?
3. What is the ultimate goal behind Garp writing his first short story?
4. What does the name of the chapter entitled _In the City Where Marcus Aurelius Died_ refer to?
5. What bad driving habit does Garp have when he's coming home?
6. Why does Helen react the way she does when she sees Jenny for the first time?
7. What does Garp not approve of in Mrs. Ralph's life?
8. What does Garp's bedtime story to Walt symbolize?
9. What do Garp's dreams about his children foreshadow?
10. Where does the chapter title of _The World According to Bensenhaver_ come from?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)