|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Garp's reactions when he learns what Charlotte means when she refers to her "purse" being taken?
(a) He is worried.
(b) He is shocked.
(c) He is mad at her.
(d) He is not surprised.
2. Why is the young Garp labeled "mischievous" by the people at Steering?
(a) Because he has no father.
(b) Because he steals food from the kitchens.
(c) Because he is a bully.
(d) Because he lies a lot.
3. Who suggests where Jenny and Garp should go after Garp's graduation?
(b) The dean.
(c) Jenny's parents.
(d) Mr. Tinch.
4. What is Garp doing when he gets stuck in the gutter?
(a) Playing hide and seek with some students.
(b) Trying to fly.
(c) Trying to capture pigeons.
(d) Trying to run away.
5. What is the name of Garp's second book?
(a) Second Wind of the Cuckold.
(b) Helen and Garp: A Love Story.
(c) The World According to My Mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Garp feel about Ellen Jamesians?
2. What is Steering?
3. Who chooses Garp's sport at Steering?
4. Who is involved in Garp's rescue from the Steering gutter?
5. What happened to Ellen James that made her famous?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Garp and Cushie respond when they hear Fat Stew bellowing for Cushie's return?
2. What bad driving habit does Garp have when he's coming home?
3. What do Garp's dreams about his children foreshadow?
4. What does Mrs. Ralph tell Garp that both of their sons like to do at her house?
5. What does Garp not approve of in Mrs. Ralph's life?
6. How does Roberta Muldoon enter Garp's life?
7. What qualities in Mrs. Ralph does Garp also see in himself?
8. What does Helen think about Garp's short story to Walt (about the dog and the cat)?
9. Why won't Helen read _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
10. What does Garp think is the source of Helen's bruises (while she is having an affair)?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)