|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Charlotte?
(a) Garp's girlfriend in Vienna.
(b) The name of the prostitute's hairstylist.
(c) Garp and Jenny's landlord.
(d) The prostitute Jenny ends up speaking with.
2. When was Steering established?
3. Who is Mr. Tinch?
(a) Garp's English teacher.
(b) Garp's uncle.
(c) The former dean.
(d) Helen's father.
4. After seeing advertisements in the phone book, what does Garp consider changing his profession to?
(a) Managing a lumber yard.
(b) Marriage counseling.
(c) Becoming a plumber.
(d) Managing a bank.
5. When she is young, who does Helen say she wants to marry?
(a) A writer.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A scientist.
(d) A professional wrestler.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Duncan get to his friend's house?
2. What household duties does Garp usually take care of?
3. What are Steering's colors?
4. What does Garp write to Helen about right before he and Jenny leave Vienna?
5. What means of transportation does Garp not like to take while in Vienna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garp's bedtime story to Walt symbolize?
2. What qualities in Mrs. Ralph does Garp also see in himself?
3. How does Ellen James fit into Garp's family?
4. Why does Jenny try to keep Helen and Garp apart?
5. Where does the chapter title of _The World According to Bensenhaver_ come from?
6. What does Mrs. Ralph tell Garp that both of their sons like to do at her house?
7. Why won't Helen read _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
8. What does Garp's dream (when Duncan is at Ralph's house) symbolize?
9. What does Helen think about Garp's short story to Walt (about the dog and the cat)?
10. Why does Garp decide to become a writer?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)