|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dog's Head Harbor?
(a) The name of a private school.
(b) A library Jenny inadvertently takes over.
(c) Jenny's family's estate.
(d) The place where Jenny and Ernie get married.
2. What is the name of Helen's older sister?
(d) Helen doesn't have any siblings.
3. What project does Jenny begin in Vienna?
(a) Learning German.
(b) Her autobiography.
(c) Sculpting a life-size statute of Garp.
(d) Pursuing her medical degree so she can be a doctor, not a nurse.
4. Who is "Cushie"?
(a) The school secretary.
(b) One of the Percy girls.
(c) A nurse who works with Jenny.
(d) A teacher.
5. While at Steering, what is Garp shocked to find in an old cannon?
(b) A dead pigeon.
(c) A picture of himself.
(d) Items his mom tried to hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Garp spend his time when he first arrives in Vienna?
2. What is the name of Steering's wrestling coach?
3. What is Garp looking up in the phone book when he has a career revelation?
4. What body part does Garp lose to Bonkers?
5. What do Garp and Jenny think of Frank Grillparzer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important role does "Cushie" play in Garp's life while he's at Steering?
2. How does Ernie Holm die?
3. What is the Under Toad?
4. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
5. Why does Jenny take so many classes at Steering?
6. What does Garp think is the source of Helen's bruises (while she is having an affair)?
7. What does the name of the chapter entitled _In the City Where Marcus Aurelius Died_ refer to?
8. Why is Jenny transferred out of the obstetrics ward?
9. Why is Jenny nervous when Garp plays with the Percy children?
10. What does Garp's bedtime story to Walt symbolize?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)