|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Fletchers eventually move away from the Garps?
(a) Because Alice becomes very ill and needs better doctors.
(b) Because Alice unexpectedly becomes a very famous author.
(c) Because Harrison gets a better job somewhere else.
(d) Because Harrison is caught having an affair with a student.
2. How is Jenny's book received?
(a) It only gets published back in Vienna.
(b) Very well.
(c) Not well at all.
(d) It never gets published because of a fire.
3. Where does Jenny go after being fired from the hospital?
(a) To her parents' estate.
(b) To New York City.
(c) To South America.
(d) To a women's shelter.
4. What is the name of Garp's second book?
(a) The World According to My Mother.
(b) Second Wind of the Cuckold.
(d) Helen and Garp: A Love Story.
5. How does Duncan get to his friend's house?
(a) Garp drives him.
(b) He rides his bike.
(c) He walks.
(d) He takes the bus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the book Mrs. Ralph has in her car?
2. What is Stewart Percy's formal role at Steering?
3. How do Jenny's parents respond to her decision to drop out of college?
4. Who is Mrs. Ralph?
5. What is Steering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Garp and Helen decide are to blame for the car accident?
2. How does Ernie Holm die?
3. What bad driving habit does Garp have when he's coming home?
4. What part needs to be fixed on the Garps' car?
5. What plan does Helen come up with for helping Harrison and Alice's marriage?
6. What role does Garp play for Jenny when they are in Vienna?
7. Why does Jenny leave Wellesley?
8. How do Duncan and Garp finally make it home after Garp takes Duncan from Mrs. Ralph's house?
9. What does Garp say about his own death while at John Wolf's house with Helen?
10. What qualities in Mrs. Ralph does Garp also see in himself?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)