|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Mrs. Ralph's husband?
(b) Mrs. Ralph is no longer married in the novel.
2. Where does Garp loose his virginity?
(a) In the kitchens.
(b) At the infirmary.
(c) In the library.
(d) In his room.
3. Who is the "real" Franz Grillparzer?
(a) A famous sculptor.
(b) Jenny and Garp's crazy neighbor.
(c) A famous Viennese poet and dramatist.
(d) A famous chef in Vienna.
4. What is Garp's reactions when he learns what Charlotte means when she refers to her "purse" being taken?
(a) He is mad at her.
(b) He is not surprised.
(c) He is worried.
(d) He is shocked.
5. What is the name of Helen's older sister?
(a) Helen doesn't have any siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Duncan get to his friend's house?
2. Who is Mr. Tinch?
3. How does Garp spend his time when he first arrives in Vienna?
4. What object does Mrs. Ralph throw at Garp when he catches her speeding?
5. How does Jenny respond to Garp's crush on Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Garp's second novel received?
2. What does the nickname "blue and blood" for Steering's colors allude to?
3. Where do Helen and Garp get most of their money during the first several years of their marriage?
4. Why is Garp worried about Duncan spending the night at Ralph's house?
5. What does Jenny's insistence that she continue to wear her nurse's uniform symbolize?
6. What does Jenny say to Fat Stew when he complains about what Garp did to his dog?
7. Why does Helen react the way she does when she sees Jenny for the first time?
8. What important role does "Cushie" play in Garp's life while he's at Steering?
9. Why is Jenny fired from the hospital?
10. What does Garp say about his own death while at John Wolf's house with Helen?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)