|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Ralph?
(a) Ralph's babysitter.
(b) Ralph's mother.
(c) A nun who lives next door.
(d) Helen's colleague at the college.
2. When Jenny announces she wants to become pregnant but not have a relationship, what does she receive?
(a) Hate mail.
(b) Many baby gifts.
(c) Many offers to be the father from her male colleagues.
(d) Baby clothes.
3. What is Garp known for chasing throughout his neighborhood?
(a) Speeding cars.
(b) Dogs that remind him of Bonkers.
(c) People on unicycles.
(d) People on bicycles.
4. What does Jenny notably compliment a prostitute on?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her dignity.
(c) Her shoes.
(d) Her fur muff.
5. What is unique about Alice's way of speaking?
(a) She believes in only using verbs.
(b) She has a strong lisp.
(c) She is mute.
(d) She has a very heavy accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hospital Jenny Fields first works in?
2. What is the name of Garp's first important story?
3. Why does Helen not attend Steering?
4. What relationship do Roberta Muldoon and Garp quickly develop?
5. What is Jenny's role at Steering?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they are first introduced in the novel, what do the Ellen Jamesians symbolize?
2. What is the Under Toad?
3. What important role does "Cushie" play in Garp's life while he's at Steering?
4. Who do Garp and Helen decide are to blame for the car accident?
5. How does Jenny find her publisher?
6. Why does Garp want a second child?
7. How does Ellen James fit into Garp's family?
8. What does Jenny's insistence that she continue to wear her nurse's uniform symbolize?
9. Why is Garp worried about Duncan spending the night at Ralph's house?
10. What does Jenny's attack on the man in the movie theater show the reader about her character?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)