|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Harrison Fletcher?
(a) Helen's long-lost brother.
(b) A student of Helen's.
(c) Helen's colleague at the university where they teach.
(d) Helen's boss at the university.
2. What does Garp write to Helen about right before he and Jenny leave Vienna?
(a) He never wants to hear from her again.
(b) He tells her to move on and start dating other people.
(c) He asks her to marry him.
(d) He wants to come to college where she is.
3. What does Jenny pay a prostitute for?
(a) The name of her hairstylist.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) The time to talk with her about her profession.
(d) Her fur muff.
4. What does Jenny notably compliment a prostitute on?
(a) Her fur muff.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her dignity.
5. What is _The Sexual Suspect_?
(a) The nickname Jenny earns in Vienna.
(b) The nickname Garp earns in Vienna.
(c) Garp's autobiography.
(d) Jenny's autobiography.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Mrs. Ralph have in her car when Garp catches her speeding?
2. While at Steering, what is Garp shocked to find in an old cannon?
3. What reason does Alice give Garp about why she can't write?
4. Who tells Garp where to find Charlotte?
5. Who does Garp have his first extra-marital affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garp not approve of in Mrs. Ralph's life?
2. What does Jenny's insistence that she continue to wear her nurse's uniform symbolize?
3. Garp dies at the age of 33. Why is this number important to know in literature?
4. What does the name of the chapter entitled _In the City Where Marcus Aurelius Died_ refer to?
5. What bad driving habit does Garp have when he's coming home?
6. What is symbolic about the book that Mrs. Ralph has in her car when Garp chases her down for speeding?
7. What does Mrs. Ralph keep claiming that she will eventually do to Garp?
8. What emotional experience serves as the impetus for Garp finally being able to write while in Vienna the first time?
9. Why won't Helen read _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
10. Why is Jenny so interested in speaking with the prostitutes?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)