|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While at Steering, what is Garp shocked to find in an old cannon?
(b) A dead pigeon.
(c) Items his mom tried to hide.
(d) A picture of himself.
2. How old is Jenny Fields when the novel opens?
3. What is the name of Steering's wrestling coach?
(a) Milton Milbridge.
(b) Stewart Percy.
(c) Jenny Fields.
(d) Ernie Holm.
4. Who is Charlotte?
(a) The name of the prostitute's hairstylist.
(b) Garp and Jenny's landlord.
(c) Garp's girlfriend in Vienna.
(d) The prostitute Jenny ends up speaking with.
5. When was Steering established?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Garp and Charlotte most frequently meet for their conversations?
2. What is Garp doing when he gets stuck in the gutter?
3. What unique band of characters are in Garp's first important story?
4. After seeing advertisements in the phone book, what does Garp consider changing his profession to?
5. What is the only word Technical Sergent Garp is able to say when he's admitted to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jenny try to keep Helen and Garp apart?
2. Garp dies at the age of 33. Why is this number important to know in literature?
3. What part needs to be fixed on the Garps' car?
4. Where does the chapter title of _The World According to Bensenhaver_ come from?
5. How does Roberta Muldoon enter Garp's life?
6. What does Helen think happens when Garp spends so long at Mrs. Ralph's house?
7. What does Mrs. Ralph tell Garp that both of their sons like to do at her house?
8. How do Garp and Cushie respond when they hear Fat Stew bellowing for Cushie's return?
9. What does Garp's dream (when Duncan is at Ralph's house) symbolize?
10. How does Garp feel about his mother's gift of money so he can get a prostitute?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)