|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pays for Charlotte's medical care?
(c) The state.
2. What does Jenny offer to do to Bonkers after Bonkers attacks Garp?
(a) Punish him.
(b) Put him to sleep.
(c) Find another home.
(d) Take care of him.
3. Who is involved in Garp's rescue from the Steering gutter?
(b) Several students.
(c) The dean.
(d) All of these people are involved.
4. What is Garp known for chasing throughout his neighborhood?
(a) Speeding cars.
(b) People on bicycles.
(c) People on unicycles.
(d) Dogs that remind him of Bonkers.
5. Who are the Ellen Jamesians?
(a) People who attend school at Ellen James University.
(b) People who get surgery to look like Ellen James.
(c) People who donate to the Ellen James scholarship fund.
(d) Women who also cut their tongues out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hospital Jenny Fields first works in?
2. When she is young, who does Helen say she wants to marry?
3. Where do Garp and Charlotte most frequently meet for their conversations?
4. What is the title of Garp's first novel?
5. Why is the young Garp labeled "mischievous" by the people at Steering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jenny say to Fat Stew when he complains about what Garp did to his dog?
2. Where does the chapter title of _The World According to Bensenhaver_ come from?
3. Why is Jenny fired from the hospital?
4. How does Garp feel about his mother's gift of money so he can get a prostitute?
5. What is the Under Toad?
6. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
7. What part needs to be fixed on the Garps' car?
8. Garp dies at the age of 33. Why is this number important to know in literature?
9. What does Jenny's attack on the man in the movie theater show the reader about her character?
10. Why does Jenny try to keep Helen and Garp apart?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)