|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What form of revenge does Garp get on Bonkers?
(a) He accidentaly hits him with a car.
(b) He bites the dog's ear off.
(c) He has him put to sleep.
(d) He feeds him food that makes him sick.
2. When the novel begins, what year is it?
(b) We never learn what year it is.
3. What is Steering?
(a) The name of a street.
(b) A women's shelter.
(c) A private boy's school.
(d) A hospital.
4. What item of Mrs. Ralph's clothing does Garp likely ruin when he catches her speeding?
(a) Her pants.
(b) Her scarf.
(c) Her blouse.
(d) Her new, cashmere sweater.
5. Who is involved in Garp's rescue from the Steering gutter?
(a) The dean.
(b) Several students.
(c) All of these people are involved.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Ellen James that made her famous?
2. What is the title of Garp's first novel?
3. What sport does Garp eventually end up playing at Steering?
4. What is unique about Alice's way of speaking?
5. Who is Charlotte?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Helen's inability to attend Steering symbolize?
2. Why does Garp decide to become a writer?
3. How does Jenny find her publisher?
4. How does Roberta Muldoon enter Garp's life?
5. What does the nickname "blue and blood" for Steering's colors allude to?
6. What does Helen wish about the way Garp treats their children?
7. How does Ellen James fit into Garp's family?
8. What does Garp say about his own death while at John Wolf's house with Helen?
9. How do Garp and Cushie respond when they hear Fat Stew bellowing for Cushie's return?
10. What does Garp's dream (when Duncan is at Ralph's house) symbolize?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)