|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Steering established?
2. When Jenny announces she wants to become pregnant but not have a relationship, what does she receive?
(a) Many baby gifts.
(b) Hate mail.
(c) Baby clothes.
(d) Many offers to be the father from her male colleagues.
3. How does Jenny spend her time when she first arrives in Vienna?
(a) Writing in the library.
(b) Staying in the hotel writing.
(c) Going out on the club scene.
(d) Exploring all the city has to offer.
4. What is the name of Garp's first important story?
(a) The Grillparzer Pension.
(b) My Time in Vienna.
(c) The Pension Grillparzer.
(d) Jenny, My Mother and Friend.
5. What characteristics is Mr. Tinch best known for?
(a) Bad clothes and a limp.
(b) Bad skin and a lisp.
(c) Bad hair and a bowtie.
(d) Bad breath and a stutter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What friend's house does Duncan like to spend the night at?
2. Who chooses Garp's sport at Steering?
3. What is Dog's Head Harbor?
4. What is the name of the hospital Jenny Fields first works in?
5. What drink do Jenny and Garp share after his graduation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Garp bond so well with Ernie Holm?
2. What does Jenny say to Fat Stew when he complains about what Garp did to his dog?
3. How does Garp feel about his mother's gift of money so he can get a prostitute?
4. When they are first introduced in the novel, what do the Ellen Jamesians symbolize?
5. What does Garp's bedtime story to Walt symbolize?
6. How does Jenny find her publisher?
7. What does Helen think about Garp's short story to Walt (about the dog and the cat)?
8. What is the Under Toad?
9. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
10. Why do Garp and Helen decide to have a third child?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)