|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jenny's father do for a living?
(a) He's a shoe magnate.
(b) His family has always had money.
(c) He works in banks.
(d) He's a car salesman.
2. How does Garp feel about Ellen Jamesians?
(a) He respects them.
(b) He finds them disgusting.
(c) He find them interesting and wants to learn more about them.
(d) He idolizes them.
3. What object does Mrs. Ralph throw at Garp when he catches her speeding?
(a) A book.
(b) Her fist.
(c) Her purse.
(d) A ladle.
4. Where do Garp and Charlotte most frequently meet for their conversations?
(a) The market.
(b) Charlotte's house.
(c) Garp's house.
(d) The pub.
5. Who pays for Charlotte's medical care?
(a) The state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Garp's older sister?
2. What body part does Garp lose to Bonkers?
3. How old is Jenny Fields when the novel opens?
4. Who is Roberta Muldoon?
5. How does Duncan get to his friend's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the deaths of so many parents symbolize in the chapter entitled "The First Feminist Funeral, and Other Funerals"?
2. Why does Jenny try to keep Helen and Garp apart?
3. What important role does "Cushie" play in Garp's life while he's at Steering?
4. What starts the feud between Jenny and the Percies?
5. What is the ultimate goal behind Garp writing his first short story?
6. Why does Helen react the way she does when she sees Jenny for the first time?
7. How does Ernie Holm die?
8. Why is Garp worried about Duncan spending the night at Ralph's house?
9. What does Helen think happens when Garp spends so long at Mrs. Ralph's house?
10. What part needs to be fixed on the Garps' car?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)