|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does Mrs. Ralph throw at Garp when he catches her speeding?
(a) A book.
(b) A ladle.
(c) Her purse.
(d) Her fist.
2. What is the name of Garp's older sister?
(b) Garp doesn't have any siblings.
3. What happens to Helen's glasses every time she watches a wrestling match?
(a) She loses them.
(b) Helen never wears glasses.
(c) They fog up.
(d) They get broken.
4. What is Garp doing when he gets stuck in the gutter?
(a) Playing hide and seek with some students.
(b) Trying to run away.
(c) Trying to fly.
(d) Trying to capture pigeons.
5. Who is "Cushie"?
(a) A nurse who works with Jenny.
(b) A teacher.
(c) One of the Percy girls.
(d) The school secretary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stewart Percy's formal role at Steering?
2. Who is Alice Fletcher?
3. When she is young, who does Helen say she wants to marry?
4. What do Garp and Jenny think of Frank Grillparzer?
5. What language does Jenny learn while living in Vienna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jenny so interested in speaking with the prostitutes?
2. What does Jenny's insistence that she continue to wear her nurse's uniform symbolize?
3. What emotional experience serves as the impetus for Garp finally being able to write while in Vienna the first time?
4. What important role does "Cushie" play in Garp's life while he's at Steering?
5. What does Helen's inability to attend Steering symbolize?
6. How do Garp and Cushie respond when they hear Fat Stew bellowing for Cushie's return?
7. What is Garp's second novel about?
8. How does Garp feel about his mother's gift of money so he can get a prostitute?
9. What starts the feud between Jenny and the Percies?
10. What plan does Helen come up with for helping Harrison and Alice's marriage?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)