|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose funeral is considered the first feminist funeral?
(a) Cushie Percy's.
(b) Helen Garp's.
(c) Jenny Fields's.
(d) Roberta Muldoon's.
2. What time of day is it when Garp starts telling Walt a story about a dog and a cat?
(a) It's lunchtime.
(b) It's Walt's bedtime.
(c) It's mid-morning.
(d) It's early in the morning.
3. What does Duncan see while looking down at the street from John Wolf's office?
(a) Many people who are crippled.
(b) A robbery.
(c) A runaway car.
(d) A runaway horse.
4. What does the dog in Garp's story to Walt want more than anything?
(a) To be able to reach a cat.
(b) To be inside during the day with his master.
(c) To be free of his leash.
(d) To go meet a girl dog he can see through his fence.
5. What does Garp do at Mrs. Ralph's house in an effort to pass the time until he can take Duncan home?
(b) Wash dishes.
(c) Look through her books.
(d) Write on her very fancy typewriter.
6. What happens to Duncan as a result of the car accident in his driveway?
(a) He never speaks again.
(b) He goes blind.
(c) He loses his right eye.
(d) He loses his right arm.
7. What kind of car do the Garps own?
(a) A Ford truck.
(b) A BMW.
(c) A really old station wagon that looks like a hearse.
(d) A Volvo.
8. What physical feature does Garp make fun of Michael Milton for?
(a) His moustache.
(b) His shoes.
(c) His hair.
(d) His lips.
9. What position does Garp take at Steering after his mother passes away?
(a) The school nurse.
(b) The school secretary.
(c) An in-house writer on the campus.
(d) The school wrestling coach.
10. Who is the monstrous rapist in _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
(a) Oren Rath.
(b) John Irving.
(c) Pooh Percy.
(d) Fat Stew.
11. In what state does Mrs. Ralph appear to be when Garp starts talking to her, after he sneaks over to her house to check on Duncan?
(a) She is acting normally.
(b) On drugs.
(c) Having a mental breakdown.
12. Why is Garp outraged over a book cover John Wolf designs?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Because it is full of lies.
(c) Because it pretends to be written by Garp himself.
(d) Because it uses Garp's children for profit and gain.
13. What moves so that the dog ends up being closer to the cat in the story Garp tells Walt?
(a) The truck moves a little each day.
(b) The owner moves the stake in the ground.
(c) There is an earthquake and the street moves a little.
(d) The cat mistakenly moves too close.
14. What medical aid does Jenny take Duncan to get?
(a) A cane.
(b) A glass eye.
(c) A hearing aid.
(d) A walker.
15. After he sneaks over to check on Duncan, how does Garp actually enter Mrs. Ralph's house?
(a) Through the basement.
(b) By climbing a ladder up to the second floor balcony.
(c) Through the door.
(d) Through the window he is peeking through.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John Wolf not want to publish Garp's novel _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
2. Who is Margie Tallworth?
3. How does Garp feel about what happens to Duncan in his dream?
4. How does Garp have to communicate after his car accident?
5. What horrible event is the center of _The World According to Bensenhaver_?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)