|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What means of transportation does Garp not like to take while in Vienna?
(b) Carpool vans.
(d) The bus.
2. What is the name of Helen's older sister?
(d) Helen doesn't have any siblings.
3. What item of Mrs. Ralph's clothing does Garp likely ruin when he catches her speeding?
(a) Her new, cashmere sweater.
(b) Her blouse.
(c) Her pants.
(d) Her scarf.
4. What household duties does Garp usually take care of?
(a) Managing their finances only.
(b) Childcare, cleaning, and cooking.
(c) None of them--he's the man.
(d) Cooking only.
5. What is the name of Garp's first important story?
(a) My Time in Vienna.
(b) The Pension Grillparzer.
(c) The Grillparzer Pension.
(d) Jenny, My Mother and Friend.
6. When was Steering established?
7. How old is Jenny Fields when the novel opens?
8. Why do the Fletchers eventually move away from the Garps?
(a) Because Alice unexpectedly becomes a very famous author.
(b) Because Alice becomes very ill and needs better doctors.
(c) Because Harrison gets a better job somewhere else.
(d) Because Harrison is caught having an affair with a student.
9. How does Duncan get to his friend's house?
(a) Garp drives him.
(b) He takes the bus.
(c) He walks.
(d) He rides his bike.
10. What is unique about Alice's way of speaking?
(a) She has a very heavy accent.
(b) She is mute.
(c) She believes in only using verbs.
(d) She has a strong lisp.
11. Who is the author of the book Mrs. Ralph has in her car?
(b) John Irving.
12. Who is involved in Garp's rescue from the Steering gutter?
(b) The dean.
(c) All of these people are involved.
(d) Several students.
13. What does Garp not like in some sports?
(a) Having to play on a team.
(c) Using a ball.
(d) Using a racket.
14. After the incident in the movie theater, Jenny hypothesizes that all women are on their way to becoming what?
(c) A whore or a wife.
(d) A wife.
15. Who is Mr. Tinch?
(a) Garp's uncle.
(b) The former dean.
(c) Helen's father.
(d) Garp's English teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Alice give Garp about why she can't write?
2. What is Garp known for chasing throughout his neighborhood?
3. What are Steering's colors?
4. Who is Mrs. Ralph?
5. What is Jenny's role at Steering?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)