|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Jenny's rescue after she is assaulted in the movie theater?
(a) Her mom.
(b) Her brothers.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Her dad.
2. What item of Mrs. Ralph's clothing does Garp likely ruin when he catches her speeding?
(a) Her blouse.
(b) Her new, cashmere sweater.
(c) Her scarf.
(d) Her pants.
3. How is Jenny's book received?
(a) Very well.
(b) It only gets published back in Vienna.
(c) Not well at all.
(d) It never gets published because of a fire.
4. How does Charlotte die?
(a) Her kidnapper kills her.
(b) She succumbs to cancer.
(c) She kills herself by drinking poison.
(d) She is hit by a taxi.
5. When the novel begins, what year is it?
(a) We never learn what year it is.
6. Who is Alice Fletcher?
(a) The person who cleans the Garps' house.
(b) One of Helen's colleagues at the university.
(c) A writer and the wife of Harrison Fletcher.
(d) One of Duncan's babysitters.
7. How does Jenny spend her time when she first arrives in Vienna?
(a) Going out on the club scene.
(b) Staying in the hotel writing.
(c) Exploring all the city has to offer.
(d) Writing in the library.
8. What is the only word Technical Sergent Garp is able to say when he's admitted to the hospital?
(a) He can't say anything.
(b) Thank you.
9. What does Jenny's father do for a living?
(a) His family has always had money.
(b) He works in banks.
(c) He's a shoe magnate.
(d) He's a car salesman.
10. What is the name of Helen's older sister?
(d) Helen doesn't have any siblings.
11. What are Steering's colors?
(a) Gold and red.
(b) Blue and red.
(c) Gold and blue.
(d) Red and blue.
12. Why do the Fletchers eventually move away from the Garps?
(a) Because Alice unexpectedly becomes a very famous author.
(b) Because Harrison gets a better job somewhere else.
(c) Because Alice becomes very ill and needs better doctors.
(d) Because Harrison is caught having an affair with a student.
13. Who is the "real" Franz Grillparzer?
(a) A famous sculptor.
(b) Jenny and Garp's crazy neighbor.
(c) A famous Viennese poet and dramatist.
(d) A famous chef in Vienna.
14. What unique band of characters are in Garp's first important story?
(a) Zany librarians.
(b) People who don't have eyes but who can still see somehow.
(c) A circus troupe.
(d) People who paint only with their toes.
15. How old is Jenny Fields when the novel opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the initials "T.S" (in T.S. Garp's name) come from?
2. What is Garp known for chasing throughout his neighborhood?
3. What characteristics is Mr. Tinch best known for?
4. What happens to Charlotte that makes her so hard to find?
5. Who is Harrison Fletcher having an affair with?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)