|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is _The Sexual Suspect_?
(a) The nickname Jenny earns in Vienna.
(b) Garp's autobiography.
(c) Jenny's autobiography.
(d) The nickname Garp earns in Vienna.
2. Who is the author of the book Mrs. Ralph has in her car?
(c) John Irving.
3. What is the name of Steering's wrestling coach?
(a) Milton Milbridge.
(b) Jenny Fields.
(c) Ernie Holm.
(d) Stewart Percy.
4. Who tells Garp where to find Charlotte?
(a) A prostitute.
(c) Her doctor.
(d) Her priest.
5. What gift does Jenny receive as a thank you for her 15 years of service to Steering?
(b) A pin.
(c) A new medical kit.
(d) Kitchen knives.
6. What household duties does Garp usually take care of?
(a) None of them--he's the man.
(b) Managing their finances only.
(c) Cooking only.
(d) Childcare, cleaning, and cooking.
7. What happens to Charlotte that makes her so hard to find?
(a) She has been diagnosed with cancer.
(b) She had surgery so she looks different.
(c) She only works at nights now.
(d) She has been kidnapped.
8. How does Jenny respond to Garp's crush on Helen?
(a) She writes Helen a long letter.
(b) She writes Garp a long letter.
(c) She threatens Helen.
(d) She attempts to keep them apart.
9. Why do the Fletchers eventually move away from the Garps?
(a) Because Alice unexpectedly becomes a very famous author.
(b) Because Harrison gets a better job somewhere else.
(c) Because Alice becomes very ill and needs better doctors.
(d) Because Harrison is caught having an affair with a student.
10. How do Jenny's parents respond to her decision to drop out of college?
(a) They are proud of her for taking a stand.
(b) She never tells them she drops out.
(c) They are embarrased for her.
(d) They are grateful because now they can save money.
11. Who is "Cushie"?
(a) The school secretary.
(b) One of the Percy girls.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A nurse who works with Jenny.
12. Who does Garp have his first extra-marital affair with?
(a) His doctor.
(c) One of his housecleaners.
(d) One of his son's babysitters.
13. What happens to Helen's glasses every time she watches a wrestling match?
(a) They fog up.
(b) She loses them.
(c) Helen never wears glasses.
(d) They get broken.
14. What is the name of Garp's first important story?
(a) Jenny, My Mother and Friend.
(b) The Pension Grillparzer.
(c) My Time in Vienna.
(d) The Grillparzer Pension.
15. What is the name of Garp's older sister?
(a) Garp doesn't have any siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item of Mrs. Ralph's clothing does Garp likely ruin when he catches her speeding?
2. What is Garp looking up in the phone book when he has a career revelation?
3. What reason does Alice give Garp about why she can't write?
4. Who is Harrison Fletcher?
5. Who is Mr. Tinch?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)