|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holston grab above him in order to pull himself to a standing position as Nelson dresses him in Chapter 4?
2. Upon observing his wife’s state in Chapter 5, Holston considers, “There was nothing left for it but to lock her up, even as he wanted nothing else but room enough to” do what?
3. Who, along with two staff employees, is holding Allison down on the floor when Holston arrives in the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What word from Chapter 4 refers to someone who has been found guilty of a criminal act or wrong?
5. What kind of gas is pumped into the airlock after the warning horn in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What response does Holston have when Nelson asks him at the end of Chapter 4, “You okay? Anything too tight?”
2. How is Holston’s behavior outside of the holding cell described in Chapter 5?
3. What is the setting and time frame of Chapter 5? What is Holston doing in the opening of the chapter?
4. What is Nelson’s position in the story? What does he tell Holston in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. Why does Allison tell Holston she will return to the silo in Chapter 5?
6. What does Holston do after performing the cleaning duty in Chapter 6?
7. How are Holston’s memories of the second anniversary of Allison’s departure described in Chapter 6?
8. Why is Holston’s entering the holding cell a dangerous action in Chapter 5? Why does he commit this action?
9. What changes take place in the airlock as the time nears for Holston’s departure in Chapter 6?
10. What does Holston note about the fear he sees in Nelson’s eyes in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the plot structure of Wool. In what ways is the narrative related and what effects does this have on the reader?
b. How does Wool compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Howey’s writing?
Essay Topic 2
Define the narrative point of view established in the first chapter of Wool. Is the story related from first, second, or third person? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient? Is the story told in the present or past tense? What are the effects of these choices on the reader? Does the narrative point of view change in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Deputy Marnes in Wool. How old is Deputy Marnes? How well does Marnes know Holston? How would you characterize their relationship?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)