|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What person who had been sent to cleaning is described in Chapter 4 as having “been belligerent and hostile right up to the end”?
2. The narrator states in Chapter 4 that “the silo with hits great screens showing the outside world was usually” in what state during cleanings?
3. How many cameras are described atop the tower of the silo in Chapter 6?
4. What is Holston described as wearing underneath the outfit Nelson dresses him in, in Chapter 4?
5. What word from Chapter 4 refers to the state of disrepair or ruin as a result of age or neglect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What “forbidden words” does Allison say in Chapter 5? How does Holston respond?
2. How is Holston’s behavior outside of the holding cell described in Chapter 5?
3. How are Holston’s memories of the second anniversary of Allison’s departure described in Chapter 6?
4. What does Holston recall of Allison’s preparations to depart for her cleaning in Chapter 4?
5. What response does Holston have when Nelson asks him at the end of Chapter 4, “You okay? Anything too tight?”
6. What changes take place in the airlock as the time nears for Holston’s departure in Chapter 6?
7. What does Holston note about the fear he sees in Nelson’s eyes in Chapter 4?
8. What does Allison initially say to Holston when she begins to talk in the holding cell in Chapter 5?
9. What does Holston do after performing the cleaning duty in Chapter 6?
10. How would you describe Holston’s emotional state in the end of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Deputy Marnes in Wool. How old is Deputy Marnes? How well does Marnes know Holston? How would you characterize their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Love and Loss in Wool
a. Discuss Holston’s relationship with his wife, Allison. How close was their relationship? What were the main conflicts within their marriage?
b. In what ways does Holston’s grief over the loss of his wife drive his actions in the story? What do you think is the singular event that sets off the subsequent events in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of betrayal of the established order in Wool. How is this theme manifested through the character of Allison? How do Allison and Holston differ in their views of “established order”? How does is this theme represented in the end of the novel?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)