|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cameras are described atop the tower of the silo in Chapter 6?
2. What kind of gas is pumped into the airlock after the warning horn in Chapter 6?
3. Who handles the procedural work for Allison while Holston paces outside the bars of the holding cell in Chapter 5?
4. The narrator describes the second anniversary of Allison’s departure as Holston’s year of what, in Chapter 6?
5. What time period is Chapter 4 said to take place in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holston find in the cafeteria in the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Whom does Allison believe to be responsible for keeping secrets in Chapter 5?
3. What is the setting and time frame established in the opening of Chapter 6? What is Holston doing in the beginning of the chapter?
4. What conclusions Holston make upon taking in the surroundings of the outer world in Chapter 6?
5. Where did Holston watch Allison’s cleaning from? What does the narrator say Allison did when she completed the cleaning in Chapter 4?
6. What changes take place in the airlock as the time nears for Holston’s departure in Chapter 6?
7. Why is Holston’s entering the holding cell a dangerous action in Chapter 5? Why does he commit this action?
8. What surroundings does Holston find himself after exiting the silo in Chapter 6?
9. What does Allison initially say to Holston when she begins to talk in the holding cell in Chapter 5?
10. Why does Holston make the decision to keep on his helmet as he departs in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the lottery that is discussed throughout the narrative. When did Holston and his wife win the lottery? What did this winning allow them to do? How long did they have to fulfill their lottery ticket?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the holding cell and the screens in this room. How does the view from the screen in the holding cell differ from the view in the lounge or cafeteria? Why does Holston surmise this difference exists in Chapter 2? Do you think Holston’s theories are correct?
Essay Topic 3
Define the elements of plot structure, including: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition to the rising action? Where does the climax take place? How would you describe the falling action and denouement of the story?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)