|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, the narrator says, “The enormous pent-up pressure of the place was now hissing through the seams in whispers.” What literary technique is used in this sentence?
2. The narrator states in Chapter 4 that “the silo with hits great screens showing the outside world was usually” in what state during cleanings?
3. Whom does Holston believe is watching him from the cafeteria and/or lounge as he performs the cleaning in Chapter 6?
4. What does Allison say she wants to do when Holston tries talking to her as she’s detained on the floor in Chapter 5?
5. What word in Chapter 5 means to engage in plots and intrigues or to scheme?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe Holston’s emotional state in the end of Chapter 6?
2. Why does Holston make the decision to keep on his helmet as he departs in Chapter 6?
3. What surroundings does Holston find himself after exiting the silo in Chapter 6?
4. What conclusions Holston make upon taking in the surroundings of the outer world in Chapter 6?
5. Why is Holston’s entering the holding cell a dangerous action in Chapter 5? Why does he commit this action?
6. What is the setting and time frame established in the opening of Chapter 6? What is Holston doing in the beginning of the chapter?
7. Where did Holston watch Allison’s cleaning from? What does the narrator say Allison did when she completed the cleaning in Chapter 4?
8. What does Holston note about the fear he sees in Nelson’s eyes in Chapter 4?
9. What does Holston recall of Allison’s preparations to depart for her cleaning in Chapter 4?
10. How is Allison’s death described in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the plot structure of Wool. In what ways is the narrative related and what effects does this have on the reader?
b. How does Wool compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Howey’s writing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of the “self-fulfilling prophesy.” How is this idiom used as a theme in Wool? In what ways is Holston’s future laid out by his choices in Chapter 3? How do Allison’s actions result in a self-fulfilling prophecy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Allison in the novel. How long have Allison and Holston been married, based on your estimations from the text? What is their relationship like? When did Allison die? How did she die?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)