|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Holston go on patrol at night with on the second anniversary of Allison’s departure?
2. What does Holston recall Allison using to clean with during her cleaning in Chapter 4?
3. Holston is sitting on “the lone steel bench” in what room in the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. What color overwhelms the surroundings of the world outside the silo when Holston exits for his cleaning in Chapter 6?
5. Holston recalls watching his wife get dressed for her cleaning through what, in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Holston’s memories of the second anniversary of Allison’s departure described in Chapter 6?
2. Where did Holston watch Allison’s cleaning from? What does the narrator say Allison did when she completed the cleaning in Chapter 4?
3. What conclusions Holston make upon taking in the surroundings of the outer world in Chapter 6?
4. Why is Holston’s entering the holding cell a dangerous action in Chapter 5? Why does he commit this action?
5. What does Holston note about the fear he sees in Nelson’s eyes in Chapter 4?
6. Whom does Allison believe to be responsible for keeping secrets in Chapter 5?
7. How is Holston’s behavior outside of the holding cell described in Chapter 5?
8. What is Nelson’s position in the story? What does he tell Holston in the beginning of Chapter 4?
9. What instructions does Nelson give to Holston in Chapter 4?
10. What is the setting and time frame of Chapter 5? What is Holston doing in the opening of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of betrayal of the established order in Wool. How is this theme manifested through the character of Allison? How do Allison and Holston differ in their views of “established order”? How does is this theme represented in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define the narrative point of view established in the first chapter of Wool. Is the story related from first, second, or third person? Is the narrator’s perspective limited or omniscient? Is the story told in the present or past tense? What are the effects of these choices on the reader? Does the narrative point of view change in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the outside world as seen by Holston in Chapter 6. What colors are depicted in the reading? How do these images differ from those of the view from the holding cell or the cafeteria? How does Holston respond to this imagery?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)