|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Allison says to Holston when he suggests that maybe she shouldn’t be doing this work, “If I don’t piece it together now, somebody else will at some point. You can’t put” what “back in the bottle”?
2. The narrator says in Chapter 2, “There were larger things to consider than the act of” what?
3. The narrator says of Holston in Chapter 1, “And he thought, not for the first time, that neither life nor staircase had been meant for” what?
4. What is described in the center of each step as the items that “once gave the treads their grip” in Chapter 1?
5. The days of Holston’s childhood are described in Chapter 1 as being over how many years distant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the protagonist of the novel live? How is the arrangement of this setting described in Chapter 1?
2. What thoughts does Holston have regarding the pixels in Chapter 2?
3. What exchange takes place between Holston and Deputy Marnes in Chapter 1?
4. What is an example of the use of literary repetition in Chapter 1? What purpose does this example serve?
5. What is the significance of the lottery ticket that Holston is said to always carry with him in Chapter 1?
6. What sounds are described in the beginning of Chapter 1? What tone do these sounds set for the narrative?
7. What is one example the use of simile in Chapter 1? What purpose does this example serve?
8. How does Holston compare the images from the screens to the children’s books that survived the uprising in Chapter 2?
9. What superstitions from his past does Holston recall in Chapter 1?
10. What theory does Holston reach about the wiped servers in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Allison in the novel. How long have Allison and Holston been married, based on your estimations from the text? What is their relationship like? When did Allison die? How did she die?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of betrayal of the established order in Wool. How is this theme manifested through the character of Allison? How do Allison and Holston differ in their views of “established order”? How does is this theme represented in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of loss in Wool. How does this theme relate to Holston? How does “loss” affect all of the inhabitants of the silo? What symbols in the novel relate to this theme?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)