|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 2 means cruel and vicious?
2. How many years is Holston said to have “spent silently waiting for what would never come” in Chapter 1?
3. The days of Holston’s childhood are described in Chapter 1 as being over how many years distant?
4. What does Allison say she’s already published “on how to retrieve deleted and overwritten files” in Chapter 3?
5. What word from Chapter 1 refers to the surgical removal of body tissue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Holston and Deputy Marnes in Chapter 1?
2. How does Holston compare the images from the screens to the children’s books that survived the uprising in Chapter 2?
3. What is one example the use of simile in Chapter 1? What purpose does this example serve?
4. From what narrative point of view is the story related? Is the narrative told in the past, present, or future tense?
5. How is Mayor Jahns’s demeanor described when she meets with Holston in Chapter 2?
6. How does the setting of the novel transition in Chapter 3?
7. What does Mayor Jahns say about the holding cell when she first arrives in Chapter 2?
8. How does the character of Allison relate to Holston’s objectives in the story?
9. Where does the protagonist of the novel live? How is the arrangement of this setting described in Chapter 1?
10. How is Holston said to relate to his memories of childhood in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the concept of “cleaning” in the Wool Series. How is “cleaning” defined by the author? What specific actions are involved in the process of cleaning? What other implications also go along with this term in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the lottery that is discussed throughout the narrative. When did Holston and his wife win the lottery? What did this winning allow them to do? How long did they have to fulfill their lottery ticket?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the outside world as seen by Holston in Chapter 6. What colors are depicted in the reading? How do these images differ from those of the view from the holding cell or the cafeteria? How does Holston respond to this imagery?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)