|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Holston looks back at the silo from the outside in Chapter 6, “All that stood behind him was a small mound of concrete, a tower” no more than how many feet tall?
(a) 15 or 16 feet tall.
(b) 4 or 5 feet tall.
(c) 2 or 3 feet tall.
(d) 8 or 9 feet tall.
2. What does Allison say she wants to do when Holston tries talking to her as she’s detained on the floor in Chapter 5?
(a) Have a child.
(b) Call her mother.
(c) Return home.
(d) Go out.
3. As Holston considers the reasoning behind the difference in how the world actually looks and how it is portrayed inside the silo in Chapter 6, he wonders, “Could someone have decided that the truth was worse than” what?
(a) “A loss of power, of control?”
(b) “The meaning of existence?”
(c) “Another revolt of the people?”
(d) “The lives of the children?”
4. When Nelson and Holston first make eye contact in Chapter 4, Holston notes that Nelson looks fearful. What does Holston believe Nelson is afraid of?
(a) That he will kill everyone in the silo.
(b) That he will call his father.
(c) That he will commit suicide.
(d) That he will not do the cleaning.
5. Allison says to Holston in Chapter 5, “There is no uprising, not really, there’s just” what?
(a) “A coup.”
(b) “A gradual leak.”
(d) “People who need out.”
Short Answer Questions
1. The word “gyre” used in Chapter 5 refers to what kind of shape?
2. Who handles the procedural work for Allison while Holston paces outside the bars of the holding cell in Chapter 5?
3. What word from Chapter 6 refers to a strong and fast-moving stream of water or liquid?
4. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a habitual gesture of way of speaking or behaving?
5. As Holston performs the cleaning of the silo cameras in Chapter 6, the narrator notes that “it wasn’t the feeling of betrayal that guided the wool in his hand in small circular motions. It was” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What instructions does Nelson give to Holston in Chapter 4?
2. What does Holston recall of Allison’s preparations to depart for her cleaning in Chapter 4?
3. What “forbidden words” does Allison say in Chapter 5? How does Holston respond?
4. What does Holston note about the fear he sees in Nelson’s eyes in Chapter 4?
5. How are Holston’s memories of the second anniversary of Allison’s departure described in Chapter 6?
6. What is the setting and time frame established in the opening of Chapter 6? What is Holston doing in the beginning of the chapter?
7. How is Allison’s death described in Chapter 4?
8. What response does Holston have when Nelson asks him at the end of Chapter 4, “You okay? Anything too tight?”
9. Why does Holston make the decision to keep on his helmet as he departs in Chapter 6?
10. What is the setting in the opening of Chapter 4? What state is Holston in at the beginning of the chapter?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)