|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a habitual gesture of way of speaking or behaving?
2. What does Holston grab above him in order to pull himself to a standing position as Nelson dresses him in Chapter 4?
(a) “A trapeze-like bar.”
(b) “An anvil.”
(c) “A coat-rack.”
(d) “A hanging rack.”
3. How many flights of stairs has Holston just bolted up in the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. What word from Chapter 5 refers to a steel reinforcing rod in concrete?
5. Allison tells Holston in the holding cell in Chapter 5 that she’s seen the programs they use. “The ones that make pictures on the screens that look” what?
(a) “So brown.”
(b) “So bleak.”
(c) “So blue.”
(d) “So real.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Who handles the procedural work for Allison while Holston paces outside the bars of the holding cell in Chapter 5?
2. Nelson is described in Chapter 4 as holding what position?
3. Holston wonders as he is being dressed by Nelson in Chapter 4 why the others have always complied when in this position. “Holston thought maybe that people went along because” of what reason?
4. What word from Chapter 6 means to destroy something (especially waste material) by burning?
5. The narrator states in Chapter 4 that “the silo with hits great screens showing the outside world was usually” in what state during cleanings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes take place in the airlock as the time nears for Holston’s departure in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Holston make the decision to keep on his helmet as he departs in Chapter 6?
3. What response does Holston have when Nelson asks him at the end of Chapter 4, “You okay? Anything too tight?”
4. How is Holston’s behavior outside of the holding cell described in Chapter 5?
5. What does Allison initially say to Holston when she begins to talk in the holding cell in Chapter 5?
6. What is the setting in the opening of Chapter 4? What state is Holston in at the beginning of the chapter?
7. Where did Holston watch Allison’s cleaning from? What does the narrator say Allison did when she completed the cleaning in Chapter 4?
8. How are Holston’s memories of the second anniversary of Allison’s departure described in Chapter 6?
9. How is Allison’s death described in Chapter 4?
10. What is the setting and time frame established in the opening of Chapter 6? What is Holston doing in the beginning of the chapter?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)