|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a habitual gesture of way of speaking or behaving?
2. Whom did Holston go on patrol at night with on the second anniversary of Allison’s departure?
(a) Deputy Percy.
(b) Deputy Conner.
(c) Mayor Jahns.
(d) Deputy Marnes.
3. Nelson is described in Chapter 4 as holding what position?
(a) The assistant deputy.
(c) Head of the cleaning lab.
4. Holston recalls watching his wife get dressed for her cleaning through what, in Chapter 4?
(a) The attic window.
(b) The security cameras.
(c) The airlock’s porthole.
(d) The bathroom curtain.
5. Holston wonders as he is being dressed by Nelson in Chapter 4 why the others have always complied when in this position. “Holston thought maybe that people went along because” of what reason?
(a) “They couldn’t believe it was happening.”
(b) “They believed they would find a way to escape.”
(c) “They wanted revenge.”
(d) “They believed that they deserved it.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 4 means incapable of producing any useful result, or pointless?
2. For how long after Allison’s cleaning does the narrator say Holston “had waited, buying into her insanity, hoping she’d come back” in the opening of Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 5, the narrator says, “The enormous pent-up pressure of the place was now hissing through the seams in whispers.” What literary technique is used in this sentence?
4. What is Nelson dressing Holston in, in the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What part of Holston’s mind is described in Chapter 4 as being not “made for this, to be calmly ushered to a death it was perfectly aware of”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Holston note about the fear he sees in Nelson’s eyes in Chapter 4?
2. Whom does Allison believe to be responsible for keeping secrets in Chapter 5?
3. What instructions does Nelson give to Holston in Chapter 4?
4. What changes take place in the airlock as the time nears for Holston’s departure in Chapter 6?
5. How are Holston’s memories of the second anniversary of Allison’s departure described in Chapter 6?
6. How is Allison’s death described in Chapter 4?
7. What surroundings does Holston find himself after exiting the silo in Chapter 6?
8. Why does Allison tell Holston she will return to the silo in Chapter 5?
9. Why does Holston make the decision to keep on his helmet as he departs in Chapter 6?
10. What does Holston recall of Allison’s preparations to depart for her cleaning in Chapter 4?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)