|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Holston is described in Chapter 1 as being determined to do what?
(a) Kill his boss.
(b) Get revenge.
(c) Find his wife.
2. When the narrator says that Holston feels pressure to find someone to send to cleaning in Chapter 3, it is stated, “It was growing, like steam building up in the silo, ready to launch something out.” What literary technique is used in this sentence?
(a) Literary allusion.
3. What word from Chapter 1 means not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings of other aspects of something?
4. Allison tells Holston in the beginning of Chapter 3 that there was more than one what?
(c) Nuclear disaster.
(d) Former dictator.
5. What does Allison say to Holston “is always good” in Chapter 3?
(a) “Respect for authority.”
(b) “Challenging authority.”
(c) “Loving one another.”
(d) “Knowing the truth.”
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 2, “There were larger things to consider than the act of” what?
2. What word used in Chapter 3 refers to the state of feeling or showing remorse?
3. How is the staircase that Holston is climbing described in Chapter 1?
4. What did Holston and his wife hang over their bed to increase fertility?
5. What does the narrator say Holston and his wife had “invited into their lives” in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sounds are described in the beginning of Chapter 1? What tone do these sounds set for the narrative?
2. What theory does Holston develop for the reason the view is different in the holding room in Chapter 2?
3. What theory does Holston reach about the wiped servers in Chapter 3?
4. How is the act of “cleaning” defined in the novel?
5. How is Holston said to relate to his memories of childhood in Chapter 1?
6. Where does the protagonist of the novel live? How is the arrangement of this setting described in Chapter 1?
7. What does Mayor Jahns say about the holding cell when she first arrives in Chapter 2?
8. What thoughts does Holston have regarding the pixels in Chapter 2?
9. From what narrative point of view is the story related? Is the narrative told in the past, present, or future tense?
10. What does Allison’s work involve, as revealed in Chapter 3?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)