|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Holston’s wife who is deceased?
2. The divisions of dormitories that Holston passes as he makes his way up the staircase in Chapter 1 are described as being shaped like what?
3. What does Allison suggest someone did during the “great uprising—the only one we’ve known about till now” in Chapter 3?
(a) Wiped the servers.
(b) Created the child lottery.
(c) Destroyed the earth with nuclear power.
(d) Invented computer programs.
4. What word from Chapter 1 means not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings of other aspects of something?
5. In describing the stairway in Chapter 1, the narrator says, “Each step was slightly bowed from” what?
(a) “Generations of traffic.”
(b) “The endless earthquakes.”
(c) "Tears of crocodiles."
(d) “The constant wearing by soldiers.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Holston say Marnes’s title is in the end of Chapter 2?
2. When the mayor exits in the end of Chapter 2, she tells Holston, “And I won’t insult you by suggesting” what?
3. What word from Chapter 1 refers to the surgical removal of body tissue?
4. What word in Chapter 3 refers to the state of being barred from one’s native country?
5. Of Holston, the narrator says in Chapter 2, “He pretended not to care, to be disinterested in” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the protagonist of the novel live? How is the arrangement of this setting described in Chapter 1?
2. What does Holston discover that Mayor Jahns and the others in the silo fear in Chapter 2?
3. How does the setting of the novel transition in Chapter 3?
4. What is the significance of the lottery ticket that Holston is said to always carry with him in Chapter 1?
5. What thoughts does Holston have regarding the pixels in Chapter 2?
6. What sounds are described in the beginning of Chapter 1? What tone do these sounds set for the narrative?
7. What does Allison initially point out to Holston in the beginning of Chapter 3?
8. What does Mayor Jahns say about the holding cell when she first arrives in Chapter 2?
9. What is the protagonist doing when he is first introduced in Chapter 1?
10. What theory does Holston reach about the wiped servers in Chapter 3?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)